Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    Joe, do you think as a 3rd tier club we can stop this. This is where we are now and we all have to deal with it despite how much it hurts. We all need to realign our positions and expectations in terms of transfers and the like. In my opinion of course. Maybe the good days will come back eventually.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Joe, do you think as a 3rd tier club we can stop this. This is where we are now and we all have to deal with it despite how much it hurts. We all need to realign our positions and expectations in terms of transfers and the like. In my opinion of course. Maybe the good days will come back eventually.

agree entirely
  • Options
    The 'strategic partnership' sounds promising, as long as Liverpool's understanding of it isn't just that they get to cherry pick any other players they spot coming through the ranks.

Don't exactly expect us to be equal partners, but hope to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]The 'strategic partnership' sounds promising, as long as Liverpool's understanding of it isn't just that they get to cherry pick any other players they spot coming through the ranks.

Don't exactly expect us to be equal partners, but hope to be proved wrong.

Inter Milan, Valencia.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]As I suspected, Shelvey has been "warehoused" since January to keep this deal safe, I think we can all see that now.

This 1.7 million might not be as much as we wanted but it will keep up afloat - for now.

19 appearances before the new year, 8 since..........looks like he has been being protected from a deal-busting injury, which is a real shame.
  • Options
    Release clause must be involved.

Not surprised as I agree with WSS - he would have gone at the end of this season regardless of what he's done this year.

We are about to go into a period where our revenue will drop for a few months so I guess the timing isnt that much of a shock.

Suspect there will be another million atleast in add ons. Id also want a sell on clause. If this keeps us going over the summer then it is the right deal regardless of whatever any of us think.

Cant blame PP as this would have been decided way above his head.
  • Options
    Good Luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Parky should have had the balls to say he was being prevented from picking his best team if he was told to or is he just a patsy.

Is this what football has become now. Those in the know at the club acting like politicians cos they know what is best for us "know nothing mug punters" even though theyve been in the job 5 minutes.

I am so angry at the pathetic state of affairs at our club and how far we have fallen after taking SO MUCH to get there in the first place.

How we can justify having the exec structure and salaries they entail whilst languishing like this is unbelievable.

We are the mugs paying for it and we are the ones who get shafted whenever things like this happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Joe, do you think as a 3rd tier club we can stop this. This is where we are now and we all have to deal with it despite how much it hurts. We all need to realign our positions and expectations in terms of transfers and the like. In my opinion of course. Maybe the good days will come back eventually.

WSS, Sadly as I already said, I believe this would have still happened, even if we were Premier League...
    I don't believe we have to "realign our positions and expectations" If we're all being honest, because this is so predictable if you analyse our transfer history.
  • Options
    Absolutely mental and yet another disasterously weird decision by the board.

To sell the bloke before the play offs is ridiculous. I can see no reason for it...he won't be able to play for Liverpool this season so they do not benefit in getting him 2 weeks earlier. He could have produced that little bit of magic to turn a game in the play offs. Instead it gives the whole club a big downer heading into some of the most crucial games in our history....surely the Board has learnt that when we sell our stand out players we perform badly afterwards, phsycologically this WILL affect the other players.

In addition we didn't even stick him in the shop window by playing him much this season or try to hype him in the way Palace have done with a number of their kids so we are left with what sounds to most fans as a rather dissapointing compensation figure.

This Board has once again let us down as fans and this has certainly made up my mind on whether or not I buy a season ticket next year - whether promoted or not.

However, good luck Jonjo, plenty of potential and I hope you hit the heights, it will always sadden me when I watch you playing for Liverpool & England that we didn't get to see more of you this season but that's no fault of yours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

WSS, Sadly as I already said, I believe this would have still happened, even if we were Premier League...
    I don't believe we have to "realign our positions and expectations" If we're all being honest, because this is so predictable if you analyse our transfer history.

I have to reluctantly agree with you and I go back to 1963.
  • Options
    Thanks Jonjo, you've been a credit to yourself and your family. I'd think the majority of people in your position would have thrown their toys out of the pram after having so little playing time this season, but you'll always be welcome back to the Valley. I'll always remember seeing you score your first goal against Norwich in the cup and the way you were so delighted with it whilst your performance at Orient away is personally one of the best I've seen this season. It's a shame that League 1 hasn't been the stage we expected it to be for you to develop, but frankly you're too good and tactically aware for both some of our team and some of our opponents. In a funny way I think the fact that the Premiership is that little less physical will suit you. Best of luck and go on and become the player we all think you can.

We don't know what the hell has gone on behind the scenes, and I wouldn't expect Murray to say anything because anything negative would be picked up by other clubs and players. I just don't understand why they've done it now. Keep it quiet and let him play in the playoffs, or just claim an injury if Liverpool want to protect their investment. As it is, we've pissed off both our supporters and make the team weaker before a series of games that will define our club's future.
  • Options
    I may take up some of the Liverpool tickets on offer in the office from now on. Jonjo has always shown he enjoyed being at Charlton, never thought he was bigger than the club. We knew we would have to sell this summer, even if it's to get some others in. I hope Jonjo does well for Liverpool and the deal works out well for us, maybe a big sell on % and an astronomical bid from Real or something? Jonjo has huge potential and he's still learning the game. He'll always be Charlton in my eyes, like I still think of Bent (Marcus of course.....). England caps to come I'm sure.
  • Options
    Firstly, nothing ever comes from these so called partnerships.

I remember the inter away kit, does that count?

Good luck Jonjo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Absolutely mental and yet another disasterously weird decision by the board.

To sell the bloke before the play offs is ridiculous. I can see no reason for it...he won't be able to play for Liverpool this season so they do not benefit in getting him 2 weeks earlier. He could have produced that little bit of magic to turn a game in the play offs. Instead it gives the whole club a big downer heading into some of the most crucial games in our history....surely the Board has learnt that when we sell our stand out players we perform badly afterwards, phsycologically this WILL affect the other players.

In addition we didn't even stick him in the shop window by playing him much this season or try to hype him in the way Palace have done with a number of their kids so we are left with what sounds to most fans as a rather dissapointing compensation figure.

This Board has once again let us down as fans and this has certainly made up my mind on whether or not I buy a season ticket next year - whether promoted or not.

However, good luck Jonjo, plenty of potential and I hope you hit the heights, it will always sadden me when I watch you playing for Liverpool & England that we didn't get to see more of you this season but that's no fault of yours.

You could look at it, that now automatic is out of the question - we may have nervous creditors pushing that much harder for money they are owed now, as opposed to in 6 weeks time when we will possibly/likely still be a 3rd Division club. The board may need this cash injection right now, just to keep the club afloat - that has to be the reason for such unusual timing.
  • Options
    seems to me like the board have taken the sensible option. Maybe they could have hung on till after the play offs in the hope that if successful we could have got more cash. That said if we had lost and stayed in L1 then the financial situation would have made us more desperate and we would have got a lot less than we have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Thanks Jonjo, you've been a credit to yourself and your family. I'd think the majority of people in your position would have thrown their toys out of the pram after having so little playing time this season, but you'll always be welcome back to the Valley. I'll always remember seeing you score your first goal against Norwich in the cup and the way you were so delighted with it whilst your performance at Orient away is personally one of the best I've seen this season. It's a shame that League 1 hasn't been the stage we expected it to be for you to develop, but frankly you're too good and tactically aware for both some of our team and some of our opponents. In a funny way I think the fact that the Premiership is that little less physical will suit you. Best of luck and go on and become the player we all think you can.

We don't know what the hell has gone on behind the scenes, and I wouldn't expect Murray to say anything because anything negative would be picked up by other clubs and players. I just don't understand why they've done it now. Keep it quiet and let him play in the playoffs, or just claim an injury if Liverpool want to protect their investment. As it is, we've pissed off both our supporters and make the team weaker before a series of games that will define our club's future.

...but again maybe this is being done for the benefit of Liverpool & their fans & to shore up Benitez postion - "hey look, we are investing in the best Engish youth players" - we have a plan, a cunning plan..........
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Len, You've served 7 years more than me mate... Why be reluctant? Let's just be honest..
    Only one thing will change the predictable status quo, and unfortunately Varney leaving his position this year doesn't seem to bode well, on that front.
  • Options
    Best kept secret of the season finally come to fruition and we get shafted..

Good luck to JJ, you're gonna need it...
  • Options
    Good luck Jonjo, all the best for the rest of your career. Its a shame for us but as people are saying its where we are at the moment, although i'm still gutted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before this turns into a slagging off the board thread i would like to point out that it was Parky's decision not to play Jonjo not from anyone above.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Before this turns into a slagging off the board thread i would like to point out that it was Parky's decision not to play Jonjo not from anyone above.

If that's the case I figure JJ wouldn't have been playing in the playoffs anyway, so it doesn't change much!
  • Options
    all I can think of is that if Parky had played him as he should we would have surely got a higher fee and more Clubs interested. I know that Jonjo wanted a move to Liverpool but if Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal et al were interested then we could have at least have bumped the fee up. If Parky has been unable to use him for fear of injury scuppering a deal then he should have said so, however I don't believe that is the case and that he hasn't used him because he didn't know best how to.
  • Options
    Typical board, selling one of our players, who hasn't featured much this year for £1.7M, rather than letting the club fall into administration. Blah Blah Blah !

Good luck Jonjo !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gutted absolutely gutted,Jonjo you are a class act from me and Northstandjoe go get em son,and thanks for taking timeout with Joe at Norwich last year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]seems to me like the board have taken the sensible option. Maybe they could have hung on till after the play offs in the hope that if successful we could have got more cash. That said if we had lost and stayed in L1 then the financial situation would have made us more desperate and we would have got a lot less than we have.

Could we have got a lot less? The fee is hardly anything to get excited about...
    We could be Championship next year, and we still have a lot to play for, right now..
    I agree with your analogy though, and sadly for me, that shows up our “glass half full” board.
  • Options
    Disappointing but as he wasn't even in the squad of late, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference in the short term.
    Good luck JJS.
    Time for us fans to stick together and not start a blame game. We're still in the promotion shake-up.
  • Options
    What's the reason then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Gutted absolutely gutted,Jonjo you are a class act from me and Northstandjoe go get em son,and thanks for taking timeout with Joe at Norwich last year.For all you lot defending Parky, when you find out the reason for him not playing Jonjo you will hang your heads.

Go on...
  • Options
    Nothing more to add.

Weird timing
    Bad money, though maybe, just maybe (ok probably not) good additional incentives
    Tragic waste that we didnt use his talent while we had it
    Good luck, and congratulations, to jonjo, playing with gerrard must be a dream come true.