Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton going ?

Says on sky sports news deon burton is considering future at the valley, I thought he would of been one of the players staying , what players should we be looking at next season ?

Comments

• Options
    Big wages innit

There'll a few considering their future when they see their next contract offers. . . .
  • Options
    great player need to keep the triers.
  • Options
    Is that going for a Burton
  • Options
    Burton is class, hope he stays
  • Options
    Burton is class. He is the only striker we have capable of holding the ball up. However I've been wondering whether fitness wise he has another full season in him.
  • Options
    Can`t see a queue of Championship clubs breaking down the door for Deon so I imagine its only going to be clubs in Div One he could consider and how many of them will offer more than Charlton ? A few but not many. His options might not be that great ! Hope he stays because I think we could get another season out of him.
  • Options
    we must keep him,think he has been a real gem personally.
  • Options
    barely 12 hours past not going up and him or his agent are already saying he's considering his future.....

can't say I'm impressed
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]barely 12 hours past not going up and him or his agent are already saying he's considering his future.....

can't say I'm impressed[/quote]

Yeah doesn't paint himself in the best light here does our Deon
  • Options
    Well he is out of contract isn't he maybe he's considering staying in football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With respect, both the club & Burton himself have known he was out of contract come May 31st and he is allowed to talk to anyone he likes from the beggining of the year and he has asked the club to give him an idea of the likely contract we would offer him, either in Div 1 or if we got promoted & we have been unable to tell him.
  • Options
    And he's probably one of the bigger wage earners in the squad, so we probably need to get him off the books. Also explains Akpo's signing if we knew there was a good chance he was going.
  • Options
    Would love him to stay, has been a class act this season, definitely another year in him.
  • Options
    Burton has some strong attributes and his all-round game was excellent again last night but unfortunately the misses from the open goal on Friday and the shot from eight yards out last night have cost us dearly.

If he's on good wages then he may well go which will be a loss but not the same as if and when Semedo and Bailey say ta ra....
  • Options
    I remember reading in the Sunday People when we signed him that we offered £6K per week when he was preparing to sign for Cheltenham for £3K per week.My feelings are in this league he would be ok for another year.Had we been promoted I don't think he would be up to the CCC.

Like others I am disappointed that his agent has put this story out today
  • Options
    4 season in a row we sell everyone...

oh well, this is what weve signed up for.....

I can see a lot more booing next yr thats for sure, when we look back at the players we had this year wistfully.......
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2010
    We can't afford anywhere close to £6k a week anymore. Our top earners in 2010/11 will be on no more than £3k p/w in my opinion.
  • Options
    Its a good job the strikers arent paid on a pay as you score basis. . .

Wouldnt surprise me if Pardoo came in for him.
  • Options
    WSS what do you think is a manageable wage bill for a league one club (allbeit a large one with big crowds for the division) what wage budget do you think we have??
  • Options
    Southampton have Barnard and Lambert

Sheff Wednesday might have him back

Peterborough might have a bit of money

He's going to be lucky to find himself the deal he has now, especially with clubs unwilling to pay big wages anymore
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]WSS what do you think is a manageable wage bill for a league one club (allbeit a large one with big crowds for the division) what wage budget do you think we have??
    I'm not really qualified to comment (or know anything) so I am completing guessing here:

2 "star players" on £3k p/w - £312,000
    6 "ok for this league players" on £1.5k p/w - £468,000
    5 first/2nd year pros on £300 p/w - £78,000

That is a total wage bill of £858,000.

Those figures are completely plucked out of thin air, I havent got a clue how it relates to our current wage bill either - I might be way over budget already!
  • Options
    If he is on 6k a week, sorry I do not think Charlton can afford anywhere near this amount, for him or any of our other current strikers. Nothing against the guy, just not possible the figures do not add up, and for a player probably playing at his level is only worth a 1 year deal for £2k a week, take it or leave it...... bye then!
  • Options
    I apreciate the ball park WSS.... cheers...
  • Options
    Take the first 6 games out of the equation and his goal return has been dreadful. I think far too much emphasis was placed on Burton's hold up play and too little on his misses and lack of goals
  • Options
    5 first/2nd year pros on £300 p/w - £78,000.... Think that might be a bit optomistic WSS. £40 quid a day is £5 an hour!.

At that price I will take one..... and let him play for the club for free!

Now there is an idea!........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Take the first 6 games out of the equation and his goal return has been dreadful. I think far too much emphasis was placed on Burton's hold up play and too little on his misses and lack of goals

My thoughts exactly Queensland, I want to see strikers putting the ball in the back of the net not "holding the ball up", whats the point if you have no one to pass it to who will bury it for you.
    Our lack of success this season stems from not scoring enough goals in games that needed killing off, Charlton never have or never will be comfortable holding on to a 1-0 lead, we need to score more.
  • Options
    WSS figures are way off I'm sure - i would expect we would aim our wage bill to be £3 to £4m next year unless we get some extra funding - (although Moutakill still on £8k a week eats to this big time ) I have a feeling i heard it was £5 to £6m this year.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]5 first/2nd year pros on £300 p/w - £78,000.... Think that might be a bit optomistic WSS. £40 quid a day is £5 an hour!.

At that price I will take one..... and let him play for the club for free!

Now there is an idea!........
    Don't think so, in that leaked document from West Ham some of their players were only on £400p/w.
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]WSS figures are way off I'm sure - i would expect we would aim our wage bill to be £3 to £4m next year unless we get some extra funding - (although Moutakill still on £8k a week eats to this big time ) I have a feeling i heard it was £5 to £6m this year.
    Hence why the next few months are going to be very very difficult.

Anyway, I said I was just plucking things out of thin air. And mascot only asked what a manageable budget should be. I've got no insider info.

Your £4m figure would work out (on a squad of 20 players for arguments sake) on £3,846p/w per player which is very high in my opinion. Especially considering who will be going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Take the first 6 games out of the equation and his goal return has been dreadful. I think far too much emphasis was placed on Burton's hold up play and too little on his misses and lack of goals
    True Burton is not a good finisher. Would have looked better alongside a Beckford/Austin etc I think though, shame we never found one of them.
  • Options
    Think that they are squad first year players WSS, and not sure about the validity of leaked emails, the club will not confirm that.

You mentioned first team players. so like ours Wagstaff, Tuna, Solly, and so on as an example I assume!

Cannot see them on a fortune, and appreciate you did mention this was just an example. The problem is expectations, and the minimuim wage.....
    26 Mar 2010 ... The adult minimum wage rate will increase from £5.80 to £5.93 an hour on ... The Youth Development Rate (18-20 year olds) will rise from £4.83 to ... as www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/rates_and_limits.htm -

Better not post this too much might give the chairman ideas!.. and have them working at Mc Donalds part-time....