Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akpo signs perm contract =)

just on OS now! i like akpo as an impact sub or with the right player beside him he cud b lethal in this league!

o by the way im new to this so hi lol

Comments

• Options
    That was quick
  • Options
    Hi. Lethal ? Ha, ha. Real bad news day. Looks like I'll be made redundant by the end of the year and now we sign Akpoo. Don't know which is more depressing !!
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a contract at Grahams Web!!

Welcome by the way.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oh i was hoping it was going to say for sheff wed :o( bad times! yeah he has done ok now and again but dont want him to stay, bottom of the barrell stuff imo

edit- sorry forgot to say welcome enjoy your time here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]That was quick

Unlike lethal Akpo.
  • Options
    Good move i think, as said before with a good pre season with us he can really show us what he can do.

Also like that he already been here for a while so will not take time to settle.
  • Options
    I think he is generally toilet but the game he went off injured (Norwich?) he looked like a half decent player.
  • Options
    Good news because:

-we will not do much better
    -when fully fit is a real handful, even when not look at Swindon home/Yeovil away performances
    -will hopefully have benefit of a full pre season, not had one for a while
    -may persuade Sam Sodje to stay aswell
    -scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1

and Izzy scored 24 in one season for MKDons. Akpo Sodje is in my opinion the worst striker I have seen in a Charlton shirt and I'm very disappointed that we have signed him permanently. Would use him only as back-up to the back-ups back-up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Good news because:

-we will not do much better
    -when fully fit is a real handful, even when not look at Swindon home/Yeovil away performances
    -will hopefully have benefit of a full pre season, not had one for a while
    -may persuade Sam Sodje to stay aswell
    -scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1

bad news:
    -We probably could
    -have we seen him fully fit? yes 2 performances out of how many?
    -Can we afford his brother, is he really better then llera? well not as good partnership with dailly though
    -woooo scored for port vale couple of years ago, everyone has a good season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1

and Izzy scored 24 in one season for MKDons. Akpo Sodje is in my opinion the worst striker I have seen in a Charlton shirt and I'm very disappointed that we have signed him permanently. Would use him only as back-up to the back-ups back-up.

think maybe the first time i have said this but i agree large :O
  • Options

I thought you said Mooney was the worst? :-)

You must have missed Barry Endean and Richard Wilson was hardly prolific either but it is all about opinions.
  • Options
    Might be ok coming off the bench, but no way should he be our main striker, his goalscoring record is very poor. Most of his goals were scored in the non league and has clearly struggled in league football.

2001 Queens Park Rangers 0 (0)
    2001 → Stevenage Borough (loan) 3 (1)
    2001–2002 Margate 17 (3)
    2002 Gravesend & Northfleet 7 (2)
    2002–2003 Heybridge Swifts 31 (7)
    2003–2004 Erith & Belvedere 21 (18)
    2004–2005 Huddersfield Town 7 (0)
    2005 → Darlington (loan) 7 (1)
    2005–2006 Darlington 36 (8)
    2006–2007 Port Vale 46 (14)
    2007– Sheffield Wednesday 38 (9)
    2009–2010 → Charlton Athletic (loan) 8 (2)
    2010 → Charlton Athletic (loan) 15 (3)
    2010– Charlton Athletic 0 (0)
  • Options
    he was our 3rd top scorer until Mooney scored on Monday to take him to 4th. not to bad considering he has not been fully fit for most of that time
  • Options
    I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion but the management team obviously think he's better than some of the forwards we've already got.

Particularly as he signed BEFORE the second leg against Swindon and could therefore have been a Championship player with us next season.
  • Options
    I don't actually mind Akpo.

Agree a full pre season will do him good. And despite people not rating him he has scored some important goals this season.

And as it's a freebie I think it's good business and will prove to be next season. Bit like Deon (who no-one rated when he first came in)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I thought you said Mooney was the worst? :-)

You must have missed Barry Endean and Richard Wilson was hardly prolific either but it is all about opinions.

I reckon he is better than Bradley Allen, Kim Grant and Paul Gorman also.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]he was our 3rd top scorer until Mooney scored on Monday to take him to 4th. not to bad considering he has not been fully fit for most of that time
    So what that means is that most probably our top 3 scorers this season won't be here next season. Oh dear it gets worse!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Agree do not want him as main striker but when fully fit, is a good option off the bench and a handful. His scoring record is poor but he has had a lot of injuries, doubt he has had many full seasons. The season referred to with Vale was in League 1 unlike all Izzies goals in L2. Also the two games referred to were not the only ones where he played well, just two stand out performances when he was relatively new to the club and supposidly lacking in match fitness.

Interested to see who people think we can get that is better, a similar type of striker and realistic?
  • Options
    Akpo as a squad player could be useful next season, certainly against some of the weaker teams in the division. Not the 20 goal a season scorer we're craving, but you could rely on him to get 10 with a full pre season and more game time. Not convinced about his capabilities just yet against some of the more capable teams for next season, but we'll see.

He has shown at times he can be a handful and at a time when it is so uncertain how many players will be leaving over the summer, its good to have that continuity in the squad as we've had so many players come in and out of the door since relegation from the Premier League.

For me though, signing Reid is a must. How he never played in the first leg is beyond me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]
    Interested to see who people think we can get that is better, a similar type of striker and realistic?

Mooney imo better, forster if we sign permanently, so thats two + would put Burton ahead obviously & even Mcleod and thats without signing anyone. dont know who else we can realistically sign, maybe a decent loan i dont know whos available at mo but reckon there will be a few better then sodje

dont get me wrong i think he is ok and a reasonable sub, i hope bigred is right as couldn't see burton being such a vital player but is now(on that note do you think anyone would sign him?)
  • Options
    We're being a little unkind to the fella....OK he hasn't set the place alight but he's not too bad, put's himself about and has a prodigious shot as and when he get's the chance....Remember the goal at Yeovil and the one that hit the post a few minutes later.....both unstopable.
    Though the thought of him being one of our two or three first choice strikers next season would worry me.....is this the first indication of what's to come I wonder?
  • Options
    We need physical presence in the side and Akpo gives us that.

I'm with cafcdan18. We are now a skint third division club and the likes of Akpo are all we can reasonably expect. He does at least seem to know where the net is relative to most of our strikers since Darren Bent.
  • Options
    oh dear is the best i can do,he is shockin
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mooney imo better, forster if we sign permanently, so thats two + would put Burton ahead obviously & even Mcleod and thats without signing anyone. dont know who else we can realistically sign, maybe a decent loan i dont know whos available at mo but reckon there will be a few better then sodje (quote)

Mooney, Forster and McLeod are different type of strikers so cannot be directly compared, they are no like for like and if we are left with them, it will be Akpo and Mooney/Forster/McLeod as a partnership. None of them are great in the air or typical target men whereas supposidly Akpo is. Burton is similar but there are questions over his future.

As for signings, it is not as though we can afford many and I would rather have Akpo than the gamble of a loan.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know it's going a bit away from the subject, but the one player we should sign who is probably better then any of our strikers is a left back. Ian Harte has scored 16 goals this season for Carlisle, it also says on Wiki that he only signed a year contract for them in 2009, so him on a free would be a very good signing. Surely his wages cant be that high if Carlisle have him.
  • Options
    I'm a physical presence and available from December. Being a physical presence isn't enough and I don't think he has much else about him. He isn't even that physical.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]I know it's going a bit away from the subject, but the one player we should sign who is probably better then any of our strikers is a left back. Ian Harte has scored 16 goals this season for Carlisle, it also says on Wiki that he only signed a year contract for them, so him on a free would be a very good signing. Surely his wages cant be that high if Carlisle have him.

good call but depends on whats happenning with youga,basey, whether we can bring in jackson but good signing

CAFC dan18 fair point but i dont see akpo as a starter for a front partnership thats a step to far for even the most optimistic, burton i cant see going anywhere as cant think who would sign him etc but could be wrong
  • Options
    Two key things if we want to get the best out of Akpo:

1) We need to get him fully fit and keep him so - maybe not that easy but the fitness team seem to have generallyy done a good job of keeping our small squad fit and available this year.

2) We need to supply him with crosses to attack. He's actaully scored a goal every 2 starts for us, although his ratio drops of considerably if you include sub appearances.

He can look distinctly non-league at times with his lumbering run and dodgy first touch, but when he's 'on it' he's a handful and we could do worse in this league, as long as we're going to be playing the right football. He's ceratinly alright to bring on as a target for long balls if we're chasing a game and he should be a darn-sight cheaper in terms of wages (and therefore better value for money) than a number of our recent strikers.

Plus he's a local lad and he want's to be here, so lets give him a fresh start and see how he does after a full pre-season.
  • Options
    Burtons agent said the other day he was considering his Charlton future, massive shame as if Burton had been fully fit for the whole season I think we may have got Automatic. Would have thought Burton and someone else (maybe Dagnall) as our main two with Akpo covering Deon and maybe McLeod/Mooney covering the new striker would be a decent strikeforce for next season.