Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akpo signs perm contract =)

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    Akperm.jpg

Nice job, but i’m thinking something more like this...

21885376.jpg

Please take that down before a palace fan gets hold of it xD
  • Options
    Akpo was always going to be signed, Parky said as much when we first took him on loan.

Hope he gets number 9

Akpo Sodje Charltons Number 9
  • Options
    I like Akpo, a good honest player who didn't really do that bad and considering we haven't quite got enough to buy back Darren Bent he's pretty decent at this level, definately a squad player.
  • Options
    Good grief.....how underwhelming is this?
  • Options
    when we are all feeling low we go and sign akpo ,might as well sign harpo ,or zippo.
  • Options
    Red Robin :
    Posted By: Exiled_Addick

"even players with a track a proven track record at lowly League One level are going to be out of our price range now. We're just going to hope that parky can spot a couple of gems from lower leagues and supliment that with honest, but limited pros like Akpo/Llera etc."

On balance the only forward who could be considered a good budget signing post Lennie was Garry Nelson."

Notice the words forward and budget? Unless you are thinking that we have £3m to spend on one player (or for that matter £750k). So I was talking about players we have signed cheaply or from lower leagues in an attempt to get lucky. Of course Darren, Clive, AndyH, JJ, Bartlett etc al were OK, but all of them were reasonably expensive and way above what we can afford now (OK, Hunt was a free but would have been on top wages).

Obviously we did pay a lot of money for McLeod, Gray and Varney, and recouped about a third of it. Minus we still have McLeod.

Not to be negative about Akpo but we've seen what he can do and he is far too inconsistent. I'd rather see us try some of the kids if we can't afford better, at least they may improve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]I'd rather see us try some of the kids if we can't afford better, at least they may improve.
    Well Tuna and Perkins are two young strikers who have signed pro. If they were better or even as good as Akpo they'd be close to the team already. Showed with Wagstaff you can't throw young players in too early. I've seen bits of both of them, and Akpo is at the moment the better player.
  • Options
    If we play more than 3 cup games next season, I would have though Perkins will debut and Tuna may get another start or two. Maybe they will go out on loan again and come early 2011 we may see one or both of them closer to first team.
  • Options
    Tuna will get more than one or two games next season just needs to bulk up a bit.
  • Options
    The way I see it, Pardew signed some terrible strikers: Gray, McCleod, Dickson, Varney, Todorov (though in fairness injury didn't help Toddy.) Parky signed Burton, Akpo Sodje, Mooney and Forster, who have certainly been no worse than Pardew's dreck. The difference between them? Several million pounds!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]Obviously we did pay a lot of money for McLeod, Gray and Varney, and recouped about a third of it. Minus we still have McLeod.

Well, Akpo has made how many starts ? ....... but in half a season with us, mainly as a bit part player, has already scored more goals than 3 seasons of McLeod.
  • Options
    I certainly wouldn't argue that McLeod is better than Akpo. My point is that IMO Akpo isn't good enough. McLeod just has to be glad he isn't a racehorse.

Scoham, dan- Back-to-front thinking I'm afraid. Unless a veteran like Sodje is SUBSTANTIALLY better than an upcoming young player, then the prospect should play at the start of the season, because there is far more likelihood that they will get better by playing than a 30 yr old will. It was this cautious approach that kept sending Defoe out on loan and then suddenly he gets poached. Likewise we didn't give Lloyd Samuel chances and off he went to Villa....
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]It was this cautious approach that kept sending Defoe out on loan and then suddenly he gets poached. Likewise we didn't give Lloyd Samuel chances and off he went to Villa....

But Defoe and Lloyd Samuel were just raw 16 year old boys - not even old enough to sign professional forms.

We were in the second-tier, and they had their heads turned by a move to glamourous Prem clubs.
  • Options
    Penfold.jpg?
    Oi, who's nicked my wig...?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Congratulations to Phil Parkinson you have truely shown your managerial expertise by signing this big lump of S@#T!!

The one thing we lacked that the other teams around us had was a striker who can score 20+ goals a season and if he thinks for one minute that Akpoo is the person to do that or even half that then we will be in this league for a very long time.

A message to the board please please please do the right thing and take all decision making away from our so called manager as this toss pot could'nt organise a piss up in a brewry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]I certainly wouldn't argue that McLeod is better than Akpo. My point is that IMO Akpo isn't good enough. McLeod just has to be glad he isn't a racehorse.

Scoham, dan- Back-to-front thinking I'm afraid. Unless a veteran like Sodje is SUBSTANTIALLY better than an upcoming young player, then the prospect should play at the start of the season, because there is far more likelihood that they will get better by playing than a 30 yr old will. It was this cautious approach that kept sending Defoe out on loan and then suddenly he gets poached. Likewise we didn't give Lloyd Samuel chances and off he went to Villa....

Not at all. Tuna still needs to develop in every area, especially physically. Akpo IS significantly better. Tuna is a decent footballer but still lacking in several areas, and his strengths aren't good enough to make up for it.

Defoe - not true at all. He was a youth team player with us, not even old enough to turn pro. He left in 99/00 when we had a good team that went on to win the league. His first and only loan was to Bournemouth from West Ham a year or so later. I don't think the club did much wrong there, just like they didn't went McGinty went to Man Utd last year.

Samuel again went at a young age. As a defender even more reason not to play him at 16. We had plenty of experienced players ahead of him.

Fact is Tuna didn't break into the starting line up in 3 loans to different Blue Square South sides, and Perkins only went on loan to Cray, a division lower.

It's not negative or backwards thinking, you only play youngsters when they are ready. A few appearances here and there yes, playing them over signing experienced players no. What club has successfully played 3/4 young players regularly that weren't huge prospects? They're promising players but not future England internationals.
  • Options
    I make Scoham right.

Sodje is strong and experienced and while he'll get some stick, he'll still get enough goals to justify his place in the squad. Tuna and Perkins are promising, that's all. We'll have to see when Parky thinks they're ready for 1st team football how good they are.

I do get tired of the stick we give out to own players. We are in the third division ffs. Messi is not coming (anyway, he's all left foot, that lad).

Akpo is nowhere near the worst striker we've had - it's just people getting wrapped up in the moment when we've had a bad result. I've seen people saying he hasn't won a header all game, at a match I've been at, seeing him win several. He's only had 10 starts for us and he's scored 6 goals.

When he came on at Yeovil he was a breath of fresh air. Not sure he's had such an impact since but I do think we're a bit too ready to jump on people's backs on very little evidence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Not sure he's had such an impact since but I do think we're a bit too ready to jump on people's backs on very little evidence.
    Omozusi best example of that, worst ever player, useless, terrible signing, eventually settled down and Henry for one said he'd have him back here.
  • Options
    this list makes you worry about Charlton goalscorers

the right hand column doesn't inspire confidence

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/charlton/charlton.htm
  • Options
    I'm Sorry i was learning to deal with life in this division but this guy is the pits. i dont think he has won a flick on since he has been here, he either jumps to early or late.

I just dont get handing him a contract he was obviously parkys 4th choice stirker as shown in the play offs he opted with Mooney and burton and bought on Forster if needed.

Then what do we do hand him a contract, I just dont understand

Its gonna be painfull next year if he is leading the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I'm Sorry i was learning to deal with life in this division but this guy is the pits. i dont think he has won a flick on since he has been here, he either jumps to early or late.

You clearly weren't at the Norwich home match, then? Until he went off injured they couldn't handle him at all.

He's cheap, he's local, he's keen, he's big, he's strong. Will do as a squad player for me.

And he's played for Erith and Belvedere - what more could we want? ;-)
  • Options
    In an effort to cheer you all up. Akpo would have been a squad player if we had got promoted. However in League 1 I can guarantee he will be one of our main strikers. Let him have a full pre-season and give him 10 starts before you all start having a moan. Or just be grateful we actually have a club.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]I'm Sorry i was learning to deal with life in this division but this guy is the pits. i dont think he has won a flick on since he has been here, he either jumps to early or late.

[/quote]

You clearly weren't at the Norwich home match, then? Until he went off injured they couldn't handle him at all.

He's cheap, he's local, he's keen, he's big, he's strong. Will do as a squad player for me.

And he's played for Erith and Belvedere - what more could we want? ;-)[/quote]

I don't care how well he done against Norwich in the other 7 odd games he is just not good enough at the basics like control!! and i was at the norwich home match and dont really remember it like that. So we'll agree to disagree but im right he's pony ;-)
  • Options
    And he's played for Erith and Belvedere - what more could we want? ;-)

Yeah but Erith's ground got burnt to the ground after his last 'appearance'

:o(((
  • Options
    when we took him on loan it had a clause that if he played a certain number of games he would be guaranteed a contract - he then played usually of the bench, a lot of games for us, don't think we had a choice by the end of the season!
  • Options
    Cor what a shocker that Sam Bartram bloke was...579 games and no goals....
  • Options
    That list shows that we need to find the next Derek Hales, Arthur Horsfield, Andy Hunt or Darren Bent,