Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akpo signs perm contract =)

Comments

• Options
    Have to agree with cafcdan18 and Len. He won't be the 20 goal a season striker, but he's a bit like Llera - he'll be a squad player, play his part and fight for his place.

Remember he has done a job for Sheff Wed before, fitness could see a bit of improvement. More hope than anything though.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1

and Izzy scored 24 in one season for MKDons. Akpo Sodje is in my opinion the worst striker I have seen in a Charlton shirt and I'm very disappointed that we have signed him permanently. Would use him only as back-up to the back-ups back-up.
    McLeod only did that in League Two though. I thought Mooney was the worst striker you've seen in a Charlton shirt? ;-)
  • Options
    Good news :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: semedo_8[/cite]For me though, signing Reid is a must. How he never played in the first leg is beyond me.
    Fitness. Like Sam, Reid isn't the fittest player around and can struggle with 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Useful as a chocolate teapot.

Worst striker I've seen bar Mike Small and tha is because he can run in a straight line.

Have Welling, Dartford or Cray Wands got any decent players?
  • Options
    0.3 goals a game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]We need physical presence in the side and Akpo gives us that.

I'm with cafcdan18. We are now a skint third division club and the likes of Akpo are all we can reasonably expect. He does at least seem to know where the net is relative to most of our strikers since Darren Bent.

Can`t argue with this view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: semedo_8[/cite]For me though, signing Reid is a must. How he never played in the first leg is beyond me.
    Fitness. Like Sam, Reid isn't the fittest player around and can struggle with 90 minutes.

Im not buying this. Id love to ask Kyle Reid if he can play twice in 4 days. He run his nuts off the other night, but i believe his recovery time is 2 days max.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Im not buying this. Id love to ask Kyle Reid if he can play twice in 4 days. He run his nuts off the other night, but i believe his recovery time is 2 days max.
    He was screwed after about 65 mins. He was receiving the ball but not running with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]scored 16 for Port Vale a couple of years back in League 1

and Izzy scored 24 in one season for MKDons. Akpo Sodje is in my opinion the worst striker I have seen in a Charlton shirt and I'm very disappointed that we have signed him permanently. Would use him only as back-up to the back-ups back-up.

Large your definately a glass half empty kind of guy arent you.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

He was screwed after about 65 mins. He was receiving the ball but not running with it.

Like i say, he run his nuts off. I still think he could have played three days before and been at the same level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He'd have handled it, but I doubt he'd have played as well and we'd have ended up taking him off earlier.
  • Options
    I doubt Parky's signed him to be one of our main strikers, but rather as a back-up.
    I think we need to get at least another 2 strikers in, if not 3.
    I think Burton is as good gone; as it looks like his agent is trying to drum up interest in him with the whole 'considering his future' comment.
    Reading are likely to want some money for Mooney, so we wont get him. McKenzie is just not value for money due to his injury problems. Dickson will be released. so that leaves us with Akpo, Mcleod (if we can't get any takers for him), Fleetwood (same as mcleod) and Tuna and perkins, neither who are ready just yet.
    Not sure on Forster, i mean he's 38 next season so he ain't going to be playing week in week out, so I don't see him as a main striker but another back-up

We've been linked to Chris Dagnall, then maybe try and get Will Hoskins or Leon Clarke if we can and then someone on loan, preferably a youngster from a premiership team. someone like Freddie Sears, Luke Freeman or Danny Ward.
  • Options
    give me a full season of Akpo over Mooney anyday, he might not be the best, but he's big, strong and quick............and he actually wants to play for us !.
  • Options
    I am totally with Large on this, have you lot been going to the games? He came on at Swindon and didnt get off the floor. Lloyd Sam was more of a physcial presence.

If we sign Mooney we really have hit the bottom.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I am totally with Large on this, have you lot been going to the games? He came on at Swindon and didnt get off the floor. Lloyd Sam was more of a physcial presence.

Was very poor at The County Ground but was imho very good at The Valley. We won`t sign him because there is no money but we will sign worse players.
  • Options
    we will sign Mooney, just you watch, thats our new front pairing sorted....
  • Options
    I'm a bit suprised that we signed him but as back up not bad i suppose. Sounds like that he was due a deal if he played a certain number of games, so i guess we have to hope that he'll feel more settled now and will really fire after a good pre season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I am totally with Large on this, have you lot been going to the games? He came on at Swindon and didnt get off the floor. Lloyd Sam was more of a physcial presence.

I was very happy with the way he got off the floor against Leeds. And Colchester at home, his presence got us further up the pitch.

As Stebo said he won't be here to be our first choice (hopefully).

Any League One striker with strength, height, reasonable pace, a decent work rate and the odd goal (ok fair enough not a consistent goalscorer) in him isn't going to have a good touch and a great football brain as well. If he did he'd be in the Championship if not the Prem. Same with our other strikers, Mooney has a better brain but no presence. Burton is better than Mooney but doesn't have the height or real pace. We need a powerful striker and we won't find one with everything to their game.
  • Options
    sorry but although Akpo has height he hardly ever uses it to his advantage and he has no pace, it takes him ten yards to get a head of steam up. We can debate all day on McLeod but he has real pace but doesn't use that effectively either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We need a powerful striker and we won't find one with everything to their game.

Precisely, not unless someone's got a spare £30M kicking around that we could use to buy Drogba.

People need to readjust their expectations a little. We don't have to like it but we're going to have to accept that this is the market we're shopping in right now - even players with a track a proven track record at lowly League One level are going to be out of our price range now. We're just going to hope that parky can spot a couple of gems from lower leagues and supliment that with honest, but limited pros like Akpo/Llera etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very disappointed with this. First thing we've done is give a contract to another mediocre striker. So we now have McLeod, Fleetwood, Dickson, Tuna and Sodje - none of whom look like a starter (hard to say on Fleetwood as he's been invisible). Forster would have been a better option, even given his age.

Just hoping we aren't now going to waste more money on Sam Sodje, clearly he isn't fit enough to justify signing him.

Rumours of Sheffield Utd wanting Sam - odd, given they have Reid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]Very disappointed with this. First thing we've done is give a contract to another mediocre striker. So we now have McLeod, Fleetwood, Dickson, Tuna and Sodje - none of whom look like a starter (hard to say on Fleetwood as he's been invisible). Forster would have been a better option, even given his age.

Just hoping we aren't now going to waste more money on Sam Sodje, clearly he isn't fit enough to justify signing him.

Rumours of Sheffield Utd wanting Sam - odd, given they have Reid.

Won't Dickson be out of contract?
  • Options
    When he first arrived he looked quality, then he got an injury and hasn't been the same since. In recent weeks he has been improving and with a full pre-season behind him I think he could do well for us next year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]

Explain?...Sodje has only been unfit since he took a knock, that will heel during the summer surely. Look at his performance away to Leeds when fit.
  • Options
    We now have Sodje, McLeod, Fleetwood, Tuna and Perkins. One new signing who has already played for us, two we'll probably get rid of (maybe we'll keep McLeod though), and two youngsters. I'm confident we'll try and sign a couple more strikers. Maybe Burton will be one of them.

No need to panic just yet, I'm sure we won't be starting the season with Akpo and McLeod up front with Fleetwood and Tuna on the bench.
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]sorry but although Akpo has height he hardly ever uses it to his advantage and he has no pace, it takes him ten yards to get a head of steam up. We can debate all day on McLeod but he has real pace but doesn't use that effectively either.
    Not saying Akpo is really quick like McLeod, he's not, but he does have a bit of pace. I agree he should use his height better, but he is still a threat in the air. Sometimes goes unnoticed, but he's won headers this season that no other striker here could.
  • Options
    The signings will be based on cost first then skill levels, Akpo the level of striker the club can now afford. It will be the same for defence and midfield.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]

People need to readjust their expectations a little. We don't have to like it but we're going to have to accept that this is the market we're shopping in right now - even players with a track a proven track record at lowly League One level are going to be out of our price range now. We're just going to hope that parky can spot a couple of gems from lower leagues and supliment that with honest, but limited pros like Akpo/Llera etc.[/quote]

Given our record on this there's not much hope really. in reverse historical order:

Fleetwood - never anywhere near it it seems
    McLeod - main ability falling over - lucky to recoup anything on him
    Dickson - relegated Gillingham didn't want him, says it all
    Varney - lost some money on him
    Iwelumo - his time at charlton major dip in his form, worked out better at Wolves
    Gray wasn't really a lower league signing, but he was another poor return

On balance the only forward who could be considered a good budget signing post Lennie was Garry Nelson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]

People need to readjust their expectations a little. We don't have to like it but we're going to have to accept that this is the market we're shopping in right now - even players with a track a proven track record at lowly League One level are going to be out of our price range now. We're just going to hope that parky can spot a couple of gems from lower leagues and supliment that with honest, but limited pros like Akpo/Llera etc.

Given our record on this there's not much hope really. in reverse historical order:

Fleetwood - never anywhere near it it seems
    McLeod - main ability falling over - lucky to recoup anything on him
    Dickson - relegated Gillingham didn't want him, says it all
    Varney - lost some money on him
    Iwelumo - his time at charlton major dip in his form, worked out better at Wolves
    Gray wasn't really a lower league signing, but he was another poor return

On balance the only forward who could be considered a good budget signing post Lennie was Garry Nelson.

Darren Bent?
  • Options
    All of those are Pardew signings though. There are doubts about some of their characters as well, even Varney worked hard but struggled with the expectations and pressure. People will say Parky's strikers were no better, but they at least contributed to us finishing 4th, all scored a few goals and worked hard for the team. Can't say that about all of Pardew's signings.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: JA_66[/cite]
    Just hoping we aren't now going to waste more money on Sam Sodje, clearly he isn't fit enough to justify signing him.[/quote]

Explain?...Sodje has only been unfit since he took a knock, that will heel during the summer surely. Look at his performance away to Leeds when fit.[/quote]

Well, dodgy knees are likely to recur, especially since he appears to have played with the injury for some time. Even if fit, he remains a liability for his reckless tackling (3 red cards this season means missing part or all of 9 games)