Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can England win the World Cup ?

I think they could.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to be a pain Rodex but all World Cup threads have been banned until June 10th...
  • Options
    Obviously they could. But here are six reasons why they won't:

Argentina
    Spain
    Brazil
    Italy
    Germany
    England
  • Options
    It's unlikely....
  • Options
    Yes, but we won't
  • Options
    Possible but doubtful.
  • Options
    No!
  • Options
    Generally i don't care as I'm only interested in cafc. However one good reason for winning would be that it would stop the mention of 1966 everytime a world cup comes around. Unfortunately we would then be stuck with people glamorizing our 2010 winning side for the next 50 years. To be honest i don't want a side with players like Terry, Gerrard or Ferdinand to win sod all. If they pick and play Parker and Bent I could be swayed though.
  • Options
    no...
  • Options
    I fancy Holland as an outside bet. With a bit of luck i think England can do it....especially with Capello at the helm.
  • Options
    Possible in true ooahhh style the odds of us winning are 10%(so betters dont take less then 10/1 at this point), Spain 20%, Brazil 20%, Italy 15%, Germany 15%, Holland & France 10%, i will update after each game ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's always a chance, but I think the better sides will open up our defence.
  • Options
    On paper we have had one of the best squads in the world for about the last 40 years but we are bottle jobs and wont win anything ever again because our Media over here hype it up like its a life or death situation. If the Media layed off them and diddnt make them out to be gods we might have a chance. However this time i belive Brazil will win it, Sapin are the same as us great on paper but shite when it comes to the WC, it will be a side who has won it before (more than once not Uruguay) so Brazil or Italy or Argentina or Germany or France.
  • Options
    It's the media's fault?!

I suspect the Argentinian, Brazilian, Spanish, Italian and French press are just as bad - if not worse.
  • Options
    Any team that beats Spain deserves to win it.
  • Options
    As a proud Scot I always chuckle at the ill-advised hysteria that grips the country in the run up to any tournament. But the minute Capello got appointed I said that England will win something under him. It's unfortunate that at the same time as England have a good team and a good manager that Spain and Brazil have such spectacular sides. But then again Italy are going into a World Cup with their weakest squad since the early 70s and Argentina have entrusted this golden generation to a portly madman. I think there's only four teams with a prayer of winning it Brazil, Spain, Germany and England.

The main reason that I'd put England behind the big two is around depth of squad - tournaments are punishing and you can't rely on any particular players being available for all games. Spain have the likes of Fabergas and Reyes as reserves. Brazil can afford to leave Pato at home for this one. The other is patchiness. England have a good squad but are light in some positions and too strong in others. Other than Rooney there's a lack of real class up front. All the keepers are fine pros but second rate in world terms. Complete lack of full back and left wing cover. Still, for any side other than Brazil being one of four potential winners is great shot.
  • Options
    I don't think we will win it, too much media pressure, expectation and tiredness will see us drop out at the quarters I reckon. I expect there to be a few dark horses in the WC this year, if Germany win group D and we win Group C then we will probably come up against Serbia in the first knockout round, one of the biggest dark horses I reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]it will be a side who has won it before (more than once not Uruguay) so Brazil or Italy or Argentina or Germany or France.

Uruguay have won it twice mate, and France only once!
  • Options
    Not a prayer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]On paper we have had one of the best squads in the world for about the last 40 years but we are bottle jobs and wont win anything ever again because our Media over here hype it up like its a life or death situation. If the Media layed off them and diddnt make them out to be gods we might have a chance. However this time i belive Brazil will win it, Sapin are the same as us great on paper but shite when it comes to the WC, it will be a side who has won it before (more than once not Uruguay) so Brazil or Italy or Argentina or Germany or France.
    Trust me the media in Brazil (and Italy) put a lot more pressure on the team than anything you'd see here. It's not an excuse. "Sapin" won the last international tournament at an absolute canter, so you can't categorise them as bottle jobs. France have only ever won it once.

The reason previous England teams haven't won it is they've never been good enough. You blame the media for their lack of success, but really it's you that's calling them bottle jobs, because you've over estimated their abilities. This team's different. And just as important: this manager's different.
  • Options
    Agree that we cant put blame on our media. As much i hate the papers, when the squads in South Africa then they should be focussed and good enough to win games no matter whats being written or hyped up. I think Capello has installed a bit of belief in our players, something that was missing before. We have this English mentality that we are waiting to fail, i mean look at the responses on this thread. The Italian Don is the man to lead us to glory!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]it will be a side who has won it before (more than once not Uruguay) so Brazil or Italy or Argentina or Germany or France.

Uruguay have won it twice mate, and France only once!

Wasn't worded properly yea your right France first and only time was 1998. What i ment was it wiull be a team who has won it more than once before not Uruguay though becasuse they have won it twice cant see them winning it this time (are they even in the cup?).
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]On paper we have had one of the best squads in the world for about the last 40 years but we are bottle jobs and wont win anything ever again because our Media over here hype it up like its a life or death situation. If the Media layed off them and diddnt make them out to be gods we might have a chance. However this time i belive Brazil will win it, Sapin are the same as us great on paper but shite when it comes to the WC, it will be a side who has won it before (more than once not Uruguay) so Brazil or Italy or Argentina or Germany or France.
    Trust me the media in Brazil (and Italy) put a lot more pressure on the team than anything you'd see here. It's not an excuse. "Sapin" won the last international tournament at an absolute canter, so you can't categorise them as bottle jobs. France have only ever won it once.

The reason previous England teams haven't won it is they've never been good enough. You blame the media for their lack of success, but really it's you that's calling them bottle jobs, because you've over estimated their abilities. This team's different. And just as important: this manager's different.

Im sure your right about other countries. Spain like us have had brilliant squads every WC and have flounded in every one i have seen them in. France had that 4 year period were they were unbeatable winning the WC and 2 years later the Euro champ but i think that era is dead and burried now. My faith in England over the years has been so battered that i just get very dipondant in the weeks leading up to the WC.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    What i ment was it wiull be a team who has won it more than once before not Uruguay though becasuse they have won it twice cant see them winning it this time (are they even in the cup?).

Ahh i see.
  • Options
    If Greece can win the Euros than England can win the World...

If they were any good at a penalty shoot out...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The thought of Terry and Ashley Cole lifting a World Cup makes me cringe.

I think we have a chance better chance than most actually.

Italy/France are not as strong.

Argentina have Maradona in charge

It's not the best Brazil team you will see

Spain have Fabregas/Torres/Xavi/Iniesta all recovering from injuries

Germany are always there but I couldn't name too many of there starting 11 (doesn't mean they aren't any good)

But we'll still lose on penalties...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In some countries its life or death if you dont make it through the group stages!! Mainly south american,but others also take it to another level!..Proud to be CAFC But just as proud to support ENGLAND! ...Can you remember the feeling for the night and the whole week later,in london (and maidstone at the time),when we beat the germans 5.1! Watta night!! ..So now imagine the feeling we will experience when we get to the final,and the gov put up a big screen outside liecester sqr,and ...well the story isnt written yet :)
  • Options
    Can England win the World Cup ?

Quite simply....................No
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    What i ment was it wiull be a team who has won it more than once before not Uruguay though becasuse they have won it twice cant see them winning it this time (are they even in the cup?).

Ahh i see.

lol, you do make me laugh Rupert.
  • Options
    Rupert you been drinking mate? alot of mis-types in this thread lol
  • Options
    Nope.

At somepoint we will end up in a shootout and our arses will go.

An injury to a Rooney or the like and we could go out in the 2nd round.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Rupert you been drinking mate? alot of mis-types in this thread lol

LOL no mate although on a day like today i wish i was in the beer garden :-).