Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can England win the World Cup ?

Comments

• Options
    Course we can. 1 in 32 chance same as everyone else.

Not a team in the world our set of players couldnt beat if they play to their potential. Almost did Brazil before until Seaman forget how to keep goal and 1990 was so close.

Have no expectation but a lot of hope, bit like us next season.

Cant wait for it.
  • Options
    The fact is we need to sort our penalties out.
    2006 - out on penalties
    2002 - out to Brazil
    1998 - out on penalties
    1994 - not even there
    1990 - out on penalties

Add to that Euro 96 and 2004 also out on penalties.
  • Options
    Could England be the first country to win the World cup and its recorded on an i-phone app?............Exciting eh!
  • Options
    of course we can win it.....got as good a chance as 5 or 6 other sides in my opinion, with the right path to the final and a bit of luck (injuries etc) we can do it.

will we do it.....I doubt it, but still can't wait for it.
  • Options
    Got an orrible feelining itll be Argies/France
  • Options
    FACT........When The World Cup is played with an 0 at the end of the year,you get the below results.
    1930 England did not entry FACT
    1950 England entry and knock out in group stage FACT
    1970 England knocked out in quarter final FACT
    1990 England knocked out in half final FACT
    2010 Could it be England get beaten in final or go one better and win it.Yesterday got odds of 11/1 for England to win .
    Well you can only dream.
  • Options
    I fancy each way on a dark horse.

Ivory Coast / Serbia or Mexico. Perhaps Uruguay.
  • Options
    They can, but I doubt it. As well as the right team you need luck, and apart from Spain in Euro 96, and possibly Cameroon in 1990 I can't remember us having it at the right time. And when we do, it runs out in the next match...
  • Options
    More chance of seeing a flying pig crash land in dragon shit

This England side has the moral fibre and backbone of a ill-moralled alleycat. Terry will have split the England camp, I don't care how it's dressed up or portrayed otherwise. The thought of Rio Ferdinand as captain also sends a shiver down my spine.

Peter Crouch's novelty value will soon even wear thin with die hard yids when they realise he conceeds possession a ridiculous amount (giving away freekicks) and cannot challenge and win all these long balls that get launched towards him. Lennon has always flattered to deceive on any sort of big stage.

Rooney will be under too much pressure to carry the rest of the side.

We will miss Beckhams set piece delivery massively, especially in the climate we will be playing in.

I would love us to do something but I think this squad is not as good as the one we took to Germany four years ago, only older
  • Options
    I don't think the climate will be that bad - it'll be winter in South Africa. Altitude is likely to be a problem, though.

In answer to the question, no. This squad is weaker both in absolute terms and relative to other countries than the squads of 2002 and 2006. Far too dependent on Rooney for any creative outlets, which makes them easy to defend against and brings up penalties (at best) against the top opposition. Also, after the Bayern-Man U match, I'd expect the Americans to nibble at Rooney's heels, and the Algerians even more so (and would expect the English team to exploit any weaknesses in the opposition too). They will only be aiming to put Rooney off his game, but if they do injure him, there goes any chance of winning the Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carts - has one of Terry's conquests been your missus?

Blimey, you have got a problem with the England team - lighten up dude...
  • Options
    England had a great chance of winning the world cup! That was until Tuesday, when I picked them in my work's sweepstake.

That's completely jinxed their chances now!
  • Options
    No chance but really looking forward to it, probably more so re the fact that i think we have no chance. If we get into the 1/4 final thats about our limit. Spain or the Argies as winners for me.

SNP tee shirts for sale if you want em ( Scotland Not Playing)
  • Options
    'I fancy each way on a dark horse.

Ivory Coast / Serbia or Mexico. Perhaps Uruguay. '

I said ivory coast, then i looked... theyve got a really hard group, and if they come second, theyll probably get spain in the next round.
  • Options
    I think the Capello factor will really help us this time. May give us the mental strength and focus we seem to have often lacked previously.
  • Options
    It's very odd. Just like Carter who posted above I dislike too many individuals in the England team for me to actually want them to do well. I dislike with a passion the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Cole and Defoe and cannot look past that. No doubt on the day I will be cheering for England but I cannot even put into words the difference I feel about supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    Overpaid, overhyped, and up their own backsides...all these factors affect passion and purpose...so its a no from me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]'I fancy each way on a dark horse.

Ivory Coast / Serbia or Mexico. Perhaps Uruguay. '

I said ivory coast, then i looked... theyve got a really hard group, and if they come second, theyll probably get spain in the next round.

If that scares you, then I think Nigeria are worth a go.
  • Options
    Argentina didn't look great in the qualifiers

I will support the national side hugely, I'm patriotic through and through but we won't win the world cup!

Too many weak willed players and you need strength of mind as well as technical ability to win a month and a half long tournament.

To get the most out of Rooney we need to play Heskey up top so he stays there and leads a line and that takes a goal threat away to accomodate one player. But it's Rooney so we make an exception. Walcott is the next most dangerous player I think we have but he has just had a stinker of a season and is hardly full of confidence.

What I meant about the climate is we will be playing in conditions not suited to the sort of game our squad are used to, so having someone like Beckham who can make a real difference from set pieces can be the key as we are not the most free-flowing side
  • Options
    The second round looks horrible, Australia or Germany, neither nice at all. Then Argentina or France in the quarters, no easier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have always said before England won't win it. Sven was decent, always got us to the quarter finals, pretty much what the team was capable of, he just couldn't push them any further. Got a feeling Capello just might be able to get that bit further.

Looking at our strikers in particular though, if we lost Rooney we'd surely struggle (feels like I'm talking about Charlton here). If England can beat the better sides in the knock out stages, it'll be grinding out 1-0 or 2-1 wins rather than convincing performances (sounds like Charlton again).
  • Options
    i cant wait for this to start i think the sth africans will put on a real spectacle, i think we will not do too well which is strange because i normally think we will win it.

come on england

i love world cups and the euros makes me proud to be english as the whole country gets behind it
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    "Don't Like It".
    ;-)
  • Options
    We can't beat Spain or Brazil - but seeing as in theory we won't play either of them until the final, I reckon we'll make the final! :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

What I meant about the climate is we will be playing in conditions not suited to the sort of game

What kind of conditions are these: the cold?
  • Options
    Probably the most open World Cup for years and any of the 'big guns' could win it including England...
  • Options
    Reasons we can win:
    Rooney- simple.
    Terry, Ferdinand, King and Cole are class defenders who would get into most if not all international sides
    Gerrard may have been average this season but remains one of the worlds best imho. Lampard has been in excellent form since xmas time.
    Heskey may not get the goals but defenders do not like playing against him and creates plenty for others.
    We have a few wildcards and subs who can make an impact, Lennon/A Johnson could be very valuable off the bench. Crouch likewise off the bench.
    Walcott has shown in flashes how good he is and after injuries is fresh.
    Capello, best manager England have had for a long time (since Sir Bobby?)

Reasons we cannot, or will not:
    inevitable injuries, possibly leaving us with Defoe upfront who only scores v Andorra and Hull and Upson at the back. Also no natural ball winner in midfield.
    Penalities
    Expections too high
    Glen Johnson could be a liability
    Too many inconsistent performers, lots of players have had average seasons for their clubs.
    Goalkeeper- Green not good enough, James liable to a clanger or three and Hart still inexperienced.

However as someone who is firmly club over country, I am determined to enjoy the WC. As RedZed says it is very open and there are a number of teams who are no longer so feared. Impossible to make a prediction for winner but I think the semi finals could be between England, Holland, Brazil and Spain.

Holland impressed me in 2008, have good experience and were solid in qualifying so they are to be taken very seriously and despite bookies odds, I rate them more than France Italy Germany and maybe the Argies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    inevitable injuries, possibly leaving us with Defoe upfront who only scores v Andorra and Hull

Apart from 2 goals in Amsterdam against the Holland team that impress you so much?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The second round looks horrible, Australia or Germany, neither nice at all. Then Argentina or France in the quarters, no easier.

I would be delighted with Australia in the second round, certainly more so than Ghana and especially Serbia

As for the quarter finals, I don't think you can really ever expect an easy game by that stage, and Argentina (flaky and disorganised) and France (rubbish) are about as good as we could ask for, bar there being shocks. Both those teams have potential on their day, but rather them than any of Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland etc.