Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff v Blackpool - The dark irony facing Charlton fans

When you think of the reasons why people fall out of love with 'the game', nothing could be more pertinent than the preference of Charlton fans this weekend.

Ian Holloway and Blackpool is the ultimately fairytale, rags to potential riches story you will ever be likely to see. The small club with the tiny budget and much-ridiculed but supremely liked manger, paired against a widely despised club in Cardiff. A club that has been poorly run and followed by a legion of hate-filled idiots.

Yet we, as 'football fans', have to pray that the fairytale does not happen and the bad boys triumph. Financially, Charlton will get a bit of a leg up to the tune of £250k from the deal that took Mark Hudson to Cardiff 12 months ago, if the Welsh club secure promotion. Money that is desperately needed to pay-off a non-performing player on a ridiculous contract, or non-playing staff it can no longer afford.

What a cranky, crazy world football has become, where a genuine love of the game can no longer the ultimate driving emotion. Money is king.

Very sad.

Comments

• I still want Blackpool to win
  • what will be will be, we can't effect the result - so will be happy with either outcome really
  • didn't that clause mean promotion during the lenghth of his contract? If so they can always go up next year. Hate the prospect of Cardiff winning but we desperately need the moeny.
  • Im not going to lie to you....

Come on Cardiff then.
  • Come on Cardiff.

:-(
  • As I said, like the idea of Blackpool going up. But we need the money far more.
  • £250K would come in handy.

cardiff will be straight back down anyway.
  • nightmare scenario.......
  • Does it really matter? Who cares about Blackpool?
  • Blackpool sent Charlton down in 1972. Not that I am suggesting we should harbour a grudge or anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• another player we got to underperform and proves what a shambles we have been in recent years , now he is captain of a promotion chasing team
  • Couldn't give a toss who goes up but if it means we get some money then come on Cardiff.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]another player we got to underperform and proves what a shambles we have been in recent years , now he is captain of a promotion chasing team
    They made him captain before their season started like we did. We didn't get the best out of him often enough, but I don't think he's stood out for them either.

Got a very good fee in the end, even if they don't go up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Blackpool sent Charlton down in 1972. Not that I am suggesting we should harbour a grudge or anything.

no, it's ok, I only hold grudges for 30 years so it's time-expired
  • edited May 2010
    defend it all you want scoham but he must be doing better to be playing for a promotion chasing team than a bunch of losers 13 points adrift of safety surely
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Blackpool sent Charlton down in 1972. Not that I am suggesting we should harbour a grudge or anything.[/quote]

Surely you wasn't born then Airman. . . . .

When Holloway went to Blackpool he seemed to be 'sharing' the same agents we were using. I remember a lot of our 'targets' (blimey remember those days?) went to Blackpool a week after we were in for them. . . . .

It will be very funny watching all the Prem league clubs pooping their collective pants when the Soul Crew arrive en-masse.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]defend it all you want scoham but he must be doing better to be playing for a promotion chasing team than a bunch of losers 13 points adrift of safety surely
    Of course, don't disagree with you there.

Just saying him being captain doesn't automatically mean he's been outstanding for them all season, or is the Premier League player Pardew said he was.
  • He was barely a Championship player for us.

But then there's a very long line of those.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]He was barely a Championship player for us.

But then there's a very long line of those.

yep we manage to coach ability out of players with consumate ease
  • Airman Brown Blackpool sent charlton down in 1972 and 2009 2-2 at THE VALLEY . FORGIVE ME IF I AM WRONG WITH THIS FACT .PUT IT DOWN TO MY AGE.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely we all want Blackpool to win just for the sake of Jason the Orange...
  • Our good friend is a mad Seasider & does the commentry for Radio Lancashire.
    I lived in Cardiff as a student - late 80's, when the Soul Crew were becoming rather more than just famous in South Wales for being vermin.
    I think on balance, I'd quite like a 6-0 win to Blackpool.
  • Blackpool for me.
  • Charlton's need for money is far greater than any desire to see Blackpool gate crash the top flight. 250k could buy us a player or pay off a complete waster (Moo2) so we have to hope Cardiff win.
  • Blackpool may buy Sam off us for a vastly inflated price!
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Blackpool may buy Sam off us for a vastly inflated price!

pity he's out of contract ;-)
  • edited May 2010
    Jeez, I forgot the ol' contracts up! They could pay a "development fee" as a good will gesture! Or even take a chance on that great French right back of ours.
  • Cannot abide Cardiff (or the Welsh), so come on Blackpool!
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Blackpool may buy Moutouakil and McLeod off us for a vastly inflated price!

Blackpool it is. :-)
  • Maybe the club should have a read of the betting thread? Bet a large amount on Blackpool to be promoted so we get around £125k either way...