Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If there was no England

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Question that came up recently in a convo between me and a mate. Who would you support/follow if England did not qualify for a WC? I know the only time it's happened in my life time is 1994 and everyone ended up supporting Ireland but what if it were this WC South Africa 2010 but we diddnt qualify who would you follow?

I controvetsley went for France as I've had family living in Paris sine I was born (that will get me a caning on here I know) but I thought I would bring the question to the forum and see what you guys thought who would you follow?????

It would appear that Chichewa is your native tongue Ru, but even though Malawi aren't in the competition your allegience to France is surprising. Is there not another African nation you could adopt ?
  • Options
    If there was no England I would not care a less who won, simple as that really. Would get more involved in the England v Australia one day series.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]no brainer for me, got to be Australia. In fact if they played England I'd probably want them to win.
    Just like during the ashes?!
  • Options
    no so much no, not really too bothered either way. Football is different in that I've never felt an affinity with a bunch of over-hyped, over-paid tossers who arn't really that bothered as long as the bonus pot has been sorted out. I love the World Cup for the spectacle and the football and do so equally whether England are there or not. Got a lot of family in Oz and the worst decision my Mum and Dad ever made, in my opinion, was not to emigrate there in the early sixties when my Dad's sister and husband went.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Question that came up recently in a convo between me and a mate. Who would you support/follow if England did not qualify for a WC? I know the only time it's happened in my life time is 1994 and everyone ended up supporting Ireland but what if it were this WC South Africa 2010 but we diddnt qualify who would you follow?

I controvetsley went for France as I've had family living in Paris sine I was born (that will get me a caning on here I know) but I thought I would bring the question to the forum and see what you guys thought who would you follow?????

It would appear that Chichewa is your native tongue Ru, but even though Malawi aren't in the competition your allegience to France is surprising. Is there not another African nation you could adopt ?

LOL i know what you mean, na i have had family in Paris since i was born, i know that city almost as well as i do London or Canterbury although i dont love Paris like i do London and canterbury not much going for it but in relation to the support thing i dont have a choice really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Argentina. Always like to see them play.

Was in Canterbury yesterday and 5 jocks all wearing Argie tops

A bit of useless info

Typical attention seeking w*****s thats the sort of football fan the WC brings. Porbably just Rugby boys looking for a rise out of the football fans but in Caterbury real football fans are inredilbly rare.
  • Options
    Wouldn't support/follow anyone as such. Would just be watching and hoping to see some good football and exciting matches.

Invariably one of the underdogs or bigger teams would capture the spirit and imagination of the World Cup and I'd end up willing them to do well.

Other than that, I think the World Cup would be characterised by me wishing to see individual players do well (Cahill) and for other teams NOT to win (France, Germany and Argentina for example)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Typical attention seeking w*****s thats the sort of football fan the WC brings. Porbably just Rugby boys looking for a rise out of the football fans but in Caterbury real football fans are inredilbly rare.

WTF !!

Relax. I've seen Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, USA tops to name a few. It's called a WORLD cup mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Typical attention seeking w*****s thats the sort of football fan the WC brings. Porbably just Rugby boys looking for a rise out of the football fans but in Caterbury real football fans are inredilbly rare.

WTF !!

Relax. I've seen Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, USA tops to name a few. It's called a WORLD cup mate.

Fair point mate maybe i just need to be a bit more liberal about the whole thing. Its just when i was following England to wear an argie top would have got you a firm beating but then times have changed allot since then and i am just not used to it. Just annoys me and part of the reason i watch all the WC at home with my mates so we dont have to deal with the crowds.
  • Options
    Spain but boy do they have a shit record in the World Cup.

or anyone playing Scotland/wales etc etc etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iran.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    RU, your right. Jocks wearing Argie tops, they are w*nkers. Shows the extent sweatys go to just cos they are jealous of us.
  • Options
    Would watch as many games as possible but would Support No-one. We are English for crying out loud.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New Zealand and the Netherlands. NZ because of a great month travelling round there a few years ago, and the Netherlands because one of my mates has moved there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ru[/cite]
    Fair point mate maybe i just need to be a bit more liberal about the whole thing. Its just when i was following England to wear an argie top would have got you a firm beating but then times have changed allot since then and i am just not used to it. Just annoys me and part of the reason i watch all the WC at home with my mates so we dont have to deal with the crowds. [/quote]

Does my head in that. Go into a pub and it's rammed full of blokes who are watching their first game for 2 years, girlfriends on their arms, all face painted, shirts on, when the ball gets close to the opposition goal all the girls scream, blokes are talking absolute rubbish, takes ages to get a beer etc etc.

Perhaps I'm just grumpy, with so many girls about it should be a great time to crack on, but I get too involved in the football!

The worst is work. Everyone at work is talking about where to go to watch the afternoon game. About 95% of them never go to watch their team, most have never been to a stadium! I can't think of anything worse than being surrounded by them, their mock excitement and passion, their tactical nuggets of wisdom and then their funny and disapproving looks as I get carried away and get too passionate!

Stay at home or go over my mates this year I think!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]RU, your right. Jocks wearing Argie tops, they are w*nkers. Shows the extent sweatys go to just cos they are jealous of us.

Ha ha, typical self obsessed mind set !!
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]The worst is work. Everyone at work is talking about where to go to watch the afternoon game. About 95% of them never go to watch their team, most have never been to a stadium!

This 100%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]RU, your right. Jocks wearing Argie tops, they are w*nkers. Shows the extent sweatys go to just cos they are jealous of us.

Yeah thats right, i mean i always spend £35 on a West Ham shirt just because i hate Millwall.
  • Options
    Agree with Sparrows Lane.

Usually watch the games in a group of mates either work or at home but doubt if I will watch a single England match in the pub this time. Maybe some of the other games that I dont care about but what is the point of having a nice big HD telly if you are not gonna use it at times like this.

BBQ and beer with people I want to watch it with on Saturday.

Sorry that isnt an answer to the original question and that is because the question is tosh.
  • Options
    NO ONE

it would be a non entity in my life like the Euros didnt watch them.

supporting someone else would be like cheating on your wife, may turn out to be exciting but the grass is never greener
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Would watch as many games as possible but would Support No-one. We are English for crying out loud.[/quote]

this for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Yeah thats right, i mean i always spend £35 on a West Ham shirt just because i hate Millwall.

Of course. The only possible, conceivable reason a non-Argentine might buy an Argentina shirt is because of their jealously and resentment harbored towards England !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

Of course. The only possible, conceivable reason a non-Argentine might buy an Argentina shirt is because of their jealously and resentment harbored towards England !!

ahhh yes of course, five Diego McDonalds and they are all friends.
  • Options
    would have to be brazil i think, always loved the way they play the game. so so skilful!
  • Options
    Malta are my second team internationally, but they'll never qualify for the WC.

Generally I support teams that contain current/ex-Charlton players if England aren't involved.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am going to copy and paste what you said there Sparrows and print it out. Then everytime a mate says to me why dont you want to go to the pub to watch a game i can refer them to what you said and if they dont agree or understand then they are not real football fans are they. A very good point mate. If you dont mind mate :-)
  • Options
    South Africa got them in sweep stakes :(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]South Africa got them in sweep stakes :(

Harsh have you seen their group no way they will get through that. Their doomed for a first round exit i am affraid.
  • Options
    spain coz i used to live there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]i know that city almost as well as i do London or Canterbury although i dont love Paris like i do London and canterbury not much going for it but in relation to the support thing i dont have a choice really.

absolutely right, ru. paris will never make it big, not much going for it, not much at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sadiejane1981[/cite]South Africa got them in sweep stakes :(

Harsh have you seen their group no way they will get through that. Their doomed for a first round exit i am affraid.

I know it sucks :( but on the bright side there's no chance of me profiting from an England defeat if we get defeated that is ;)