Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heskey

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]Carly Burn; You do realise Townsend comes from Bexleyheath, his grandparents were irish.

NEVER.I won't have it!
    If you cut Andy Townsend open his blood would be dark brown/black with a little white head on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]they all played average . im sure we will progress personally. the man never seems to score......he is a striker
    What about Wright-Phillips shot? That was a good chance as well. There were also crosses over hit, too high to get good contact on. Heskey's one-on-one was far from the only good opportunity for a second goal, bit unfair to single him out. It was the obvious good chance, but there were others.

Heskey won't score, but other players won't do his job. He won headers, held up the ball, kept possession, won free kicks. Similar to Burton for us but stronger, taller and quicker. Shame he won't score, but he did his job for the team.

Cant recall him winning to many headers altough Crouch did when he came on.
    You can't be serious Unc. Fair play, you don't rate the bloke - and he IS pony in front of goal, but he won absolutely everything in the air tonight. Every time the ball was lumped up to him he put his nut on it. Say whatever you like about him not taking chances (all true), but he was peerless in the air tonight.

Indeed.

& the header that Crouch won almost went out for a throw in!
  • Options
    Interesting reading some of the comments about Heskey on here. Useless in front of goal, always being caught off side, good at holding up the ball and linking with midfielders. Doesn't this describe Burton last season? And for a lot of people on here he was our best player last season.

I thought Heskey had a decent game last night. I think he did everything that Cappello could have expected of him, unlike Rooney.

I thought England played better than in their previous 4 or 5 games. We just conceded a fluke goal that cost us the win. Argentina dominated their game against Greece but were fortunate not to concede an equaliser on a couple of occasions.

Another thing I noticed about Argentina, much like Barcelona, is that when they are dominating possession and the opposing team retreat behind the ball, they don't automatically press forward all the time. There are periods when they pass the ball across the mid field and across the back four, enticing the opposing team to move up and out of their penalty area which now and again makes them vulnerable to a quick attack. It is a lot harder for defenders to defend against crosses, high or low, when they are running back towards their own goal and having to watch the ball as well as the man they are marking. Whenever England had the ball last night they just seemed in too much of a hurry to get the ball into the USA's penalty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Whenever England had the ball last night they just seemed in too much of a hurry to get the ball into the USA's penalty.

We lack the patience, or perhaps it's the confidence, to hold on to the ball if there is nothing on, to play it backwards and retain possession when there is no clear forward option.

As you say, we'll play 3 or 4 passes and get it in the opposition half, then we seem to panic or get bored and rather than turning out and laying it off, we just play it into a channel or play an impossible pass.

One thing I did notice is that Lampard or Gerrard never buzzed around the middle enough and dropped deep or peeled off to provide an option for out defensive players, who then tended to play it long. Perhaps we missed Barry playing that deep lying role more than we thought we would.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Interesting reading some of the comments about Heskey on here. Useless in front of goal, always being caught off side, good at holding up the ball and linking with midfielders. Doesn't this describe Burton last season? And for a lot of people on here he was our best player last season.

Burton got more than 4 goals last season...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Interesting reading some of the comments about Heskey on here. Useless in front of goal, always being caught off side, good at holding up the ball and linking with midfielders. Doesn't this describe Burton last season? And for a lot of people on here he was our best player last season.

I thought Heskey had a decent game last night. I think he did everything that Cappello could have expected of him, unlike Rooney.

I thought England played better than in their previous 4 or 5 games. We just conceded a fluke goal that cost us the win. Argentina dominated their game against Greece but were fortunate not to concede an equaliser on a couple of occasions.

Another thing I noticed about Argentina, much like Barcelona, is that when they are dominating possession and the opposing team retreat behind the ball, they don't automatically press forward all the time. There are periods when they pass the ball across the mid field and across the back four, enticing the opposing team to move up and out of their penalty area which now and again makes them vulnerable to a quick attack. It is a lot harder for defenders to defend against crosses, high or low, when they are running back towards their own goal and having to watch the ball as well as the man they are marking. Whenever England had the ball last night they just seemed in too much of a hurry to get the ball into the USA's penalty.

Burton grafted his cojones off last season, playing a fair amount of it with a hernia problem, was unselfish and contributed a fair amount of assists. For a free transfer with low expectations he turned out to be a bloody good signing.

As for Heskey doing everything that Capello asked of him - up to a point he did, but when given a clear shot on goal I'd have expected him to have either looked to shoot either side of the keeper or try and lob him - Howard was well off his line. Shooting directly at him is not what I call international class.

England played ok, not badly, but not well and it's worrying that they struggled to break down and create opportunities against a side that lacked a creative player or a cutting edge and looked like a well organised but lower half of the premiership type team. For a first match in a tournament that performance was just about acceptable, but no more. If we play like that on Friday we may as well start packing.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

Not much more if you exclude penalties. And he missed two or three glorious chances in the the two play off games. All of which were equally as good as Heskey's chance last night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]

Not much more if you exclude penalties. And he missed two or three glorious chances in the the two play off games. All of which were equally as good as Heskey's chance last night.

Burton missed one where he had his back to goal, turned and shot and it went wide - Heskey missed a one on one with all the time and space in the world and hit it straight at the keeper. He is also supposed to be international standard. Burton is not.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]Carly Burn; You do realise Townsend comes from Bexleyheath, his grandparents were irish.[/quote]

NEVER.I won't have it!
    If you cut Andy Townsend open his blood would be dark brown/black with a little white head on it.[/quote]

All jokes apart his family are all Charlton fans. I used to sit next to them in the lower west until i moved seats a couple of seasons ago.
  • Options
    Plusses....He put himself about, worked hard and won lots of headers and some good lay offs. Nice pass to set up the goal. Would admit he was arguably the best player for us in a not great performance.

Minuses....Missed the best chance to win the game which at this level in later games is the difference between winning and losing as there aren't many good chances. His good performance was against a defence made up of players from int milan (but hardly plays), watford, rennes (mid table french) and hannover (4th bottom german) so not exactly world class defenders.

Looks like Capello wants to play him so good luck to him and i hope he does well and proves us doubters wrong, but i'm not convinced just because he played well yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]

Hate to point this out mate but you are comparing a player in division 3 at the end of his career to and forward leading the line for his country in what is supposed to be on of the fancied nations to win the world cup. Says it all really...
  • Options
    Hate to point this out mate but you are comparing a player in division 3 at the end of his career to and forward leading the line for his country in what is supposed to be on of the fancied nations to win the world cup. Says it all really...

It really doesn't. Comparing one player to another isn't the same as saying they're only as good as that player.
  • Options
    Burton missed one where he had his back to goal, turned and shot and it went wide - Heskey missed a one on one with all the time and space in the world and hit it straight at the keeper. He is also supposed to be international standard. Burton is not.

Super Deon is international class! (Well, 12 years ago!) ;-)
  • Options

I think you have completely missed the point I was making. At the different levels they play they play similar roles with similar results (in my opinion) and yet on here Heskey gets slated while Burton is considered by many to have been our best player last season.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I think you have completely missed the point I was making. At the different levels they play they play similar roles with similar results (in my opinion) and yet on here Heskey gets slated while Burton is considered by many to have been our best player last season.
    Not that many, since the vast majority of us voted for Dailly Semedo or Bailey.
  • Options
    And this is why HESKEY should never have been in the England squad. To all you's that said he brings the midfield more into play...Well this is the best our midfield have played. For all you's that said Rooney plays better with Heskey in the team ermmmmmm i dont think so. And for all you's that said Capello knows best .....Well yes finally he has seen sense
  • Options
    Rooney limping. Time for Heskey to come on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Rooney limping. Time for Heskey to come on.

Dont even go there ...Bring my nan on she's only been dead a year
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Rooney limping. Time for Heskey to come on.

Dont even go there ...Bring my nan on she's only been dead a year

But she didn't make the squad. Has to be Heskey
  • Options
    I think you'll find its Mr J Cole coming on :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heskey's being rested for the knockout rounds.

;-)
  • Options
    He should have just been knocked out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]He should have just been knocked out

:D
  • Options
    Defoe needs to be replaced. Heskey on soon. ;-)
  • Options
    He's coming on this will be a draw now
  • Options
    Vital contribution by Heskey to secure the win.
  • Options
    And this is why HESKEY should never have been in the England squad. To all you's that said he brings the midfield more into play...Well this is the best our midfield have played. For all you's that said Rooney plays better with Heskey in the team ermmmmmm i dont think so. And for all you's that said Capello knows best .....Well yes finally he has seen sense
    The improved midfield performance is surely down to the players themselves playing better rather than Heskey being dropped. They knew they had to step up their game and they did.

There were less long balls so it probably helped with that. Will be harder keeping the ball in the next game(s) against better sides and if the team panic and hoof the ball to Rooney and Defoe/Rooney on his own that's where Heskey might come back into it.

I don't think anyone has said Heskey has to start and it's the only way, just that he played a part in qualifying (top scorers in European qualifying) and in certain games can offer something useful.

Plus he's currently joint top in goals/assists contributed to ;-)
  • Options
    Just retired from international football. John Terry, please do the same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Just retired from international football. John Terry, please do the same.

Gutted. We've no chance of winning anything now have we!

Oh hang on, that means I'm still in with a chance of playing C/F for England now. After all, if he can...
  • Options
    3 competitive goals in 11 years. Ridiculous that it's taken his retirement to stop us selecting him for the national side. He can now concentrate on not getting into Villa's side.