Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heskey

124»

Comments

• Options
    No young strikers worthy of being given a chance to replace him so it will have to be another mediocre player who has done less for England replacing him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hudson-son-son[/cite]No young strikers worthy of being given a chance to replace him so it will have to be another mediocre player who has done less for England replacing him.

Top english scoring striker judged not to offer as much as Heskey maybe?
    I'm sure if he were given 10 years up front for England he would score more 3 goals
  • Options
    Heskey's been a great servant for England but his time has come.

As for Terry, wasn't he a hero from the Algeria game for his samon impression?
  • Options
    Cant really knock Heskey. Yes, he isnt that good but he comes across as a genuine bloke and always been commited when it comes to pulling on an England shirt. He gets alot of stick from people who know nothing about football too which annoys me.

There are other English players out there with 5 times as much talent but knowhere near the heart as the big man.
  • Options
    means nothing if you cant score though .
  • Options
    it should do to charlton fans, we love a tryer.
  • Options
    and a nice smile.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: hudson-son-son[/cite]No young strikers worthy of being given a chance to replace him so it will have to be another mediocre player who has done less for England replacing him.

Top english scoring striker judged not to offer as much as Heskey maybe?
    I'm sure if he were given 10 years up front for England he would score more 3 goals

Agree with charltonkeston. All the time we've wasted with Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey we could've given to some other strikers who might not have been world beaters, but would've scored loads more than him. And before anyone mentions it please spare me the "he brings out the best in Wayne Rooney". If that was the case, United would sign him. Fact of the matter is, there are countless other English strikers in the Premiership you'd want in your side before Emile. FACT.

Members of our under-21 side should be gradually fed into the full side. Works well enough for the Germans. Otherwise what's the point of the U21 team?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    While Heskey was never the really the answer against any decent opposition, Darren Bent won't be either, and I rate him as much as everyone else does. Same with Defoe and even Crouch (if he was, surely Capello would have used him more by now).

Maybe Capello will try 4-5-1 now, will be interesting to see how that works.
  • Options
    I read somewhere Higuita and Chilavert scored more goals than Heskey after making a similar number of appearances.

And they're goalkeepers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2010
    José Luis Chilavert, 8 goals in 74 games; René Higuita, 8 goals in 68 games; Emile Heskey, 7 goals in 62 games.
  • Options
    There you go...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

4-2-3-1 seems to be the new world order
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]

4-2-3-1 seems the be the new world order
    Yeah whatever you want to call it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Agree with charltonkeston. All the time we've wasted with Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey we could've given to some other strikers who might not have been world beaters, but would've scored loads more than him. And before anyone mentions it please spare me the "he brings out the best in Wayne Rooney". If that was the case, United would sign him. Fact of the matter is, there are countless other English strikers in the Premiership you'd want in your side before Emile. FACT.

Members of our under-21 side should be gradually fed into the full side. Works well enough for the Germans. Otherwise what's the point of the U21 team?

Did you actually watch Heskey play? I remember when he first made his return from international exile, and was one of the best players in 3-0 wins over Israel and Russia. He then broke his foot, the goalscoring forwards that you so yearn for took his place and.. we failed to qualify.

He will always offer a role in the team rather than goals, and when everyone else stopped scoring goals it became a glaring issue, but he was a useful asset over the last few years. He even played pretty well in his first start at the World Cup, it's just unfortunate that his role became useless due to Rooney's awful form.
  • Options

4-2-3-1 seems the be the new world order
    Yeah whatever you want to call it.

Oh I wasn't correcting you, I was just mentioning that that does seem to be the way that teams around the world are increasingly setting up. Brazil, Spain, Germany and Holland all seemed to have some variation of it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Did you actually watch Heskey play? I remember when he first made his return from international exile, and was one of the best players in 3-0 wins over Israel and Russia. He then broke his foot, the goalscoring forwards that you so yearn for took his place and.. we failed to qualify.

He will always offer a role in the team rather than goals, and when everyone else stopped scoring goals it became a glaring issue, but he was a useful asset over the last few years. He even played pretty well in his first start at the World Cup, it's just unfortunate that his role became useless due to Rooney's awful form.

Yes I have watched him play. And I'm convinced that we would've done better over the years by giving other strikers a prolonged run in the side instead of him. You surely cannot be serious in arguing that we didn't qualify for Euro 2008 because Heskey was injured for a couple of qualifying games?!

"When everyone else stopped scoring goals it became a glaring issue"- this is exactly the point, if his strike partner doesn't play well, the strike force will never score. Therefore he's not a good option. I still maintain that you'd rather have pretty much any other English striker in your starting lineup than Heskey. If this is the case for all the Premiership sides, why is it different for the national side?

These goalscoring forwards have probably been given 3 starts in a row max, and we've persisted with Heskey for nigh on 10 years and what have we got to show for it?

Agree with others above that one up front is also a good option. Rooney has shown for United that he doesn't necessarily need a striker partner. But if we were going to persist with 2 up front for so long, Heskey was never the answer.
  • Options
    Not sure how true it is but heard a rumour that he is waiting for Swindon to increase there offer for him, but they are not doing it yet so he has agreed to meet Holloway tomorrow for talks about signing for The Spanners
  • Options
    Good searching Paulie
  • Options
    Surely this should have been a new thread Paulie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nah Paulie is the king of the bump and long may he reign.
  • Options
    Serious question, would you give Heskey a chance at Charlton?
  • Options
    only if we were really short of turn style operators
  • Options

only if we were really short of turn style operators

He's no Rob Lee.
  • Options
    We could do with a decent hold up player... Not sure he's quite the answer though
  • Options
    Heskey was quality, been past it for a while though I think.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I was always appreciated Heskey although them awful Twitter 'Lad' accounts now seem to take the piss out of him and forget that he was once a decent centre forward, which is a shame.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I was always appreciated Heskey although them awful Twitter 'Lad' accounts now seem to take the piss out of him and forget that he was once a decent centre forward, which is a shame.
    I've literally just unfollowed every single football based twitter account bar official ones before I read this.

Their 'banter' is fkn shit, recycle the same tripe every day. The Paul Scholes in a Barcelona shirt saying 'AMAZING' and describing how all of Barcelona wanted his shirt was driving me barmy. Swear I've seen it about 7 times in the past few days.

There's about 7-9 different accounts and they just recycle eachothers 'jokes' and shitty pictures non stop.

Anyway I wouldn't be sure on Heskey, can he still do a job? Haven't seen him play for ages.
  • Options
    I'd take Heskey just because it's Heskey.