Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v USA - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Thought Rooney was pretty poor.Undone a lot of Heskeys good work.
    The hopes of a nation doesn't seem to carry too well on his shoulders.Fingers crossed it's a one off.
  • Options
    I agree on Wright-Phillips. I've always thought he was hopeless and so he's proven once again. I'm not entirely convinced by the Joe Cole bandwagon (20 minutes against Japan is hardly enough for a complete resurrection) but I'd definitely play him over SWP.

My main regret about us not winning is that a win would really have eased the pressure on Gareth Barry's return in the next couple of games - a player I think will be really important later on. Ideally we'd go back to Gerrard on the left and Barry back in the middle with Lampard. That's a system that maintains the goal threat of both Gerrard and Lampard, rather than stifling one of them (as once again happened tonight imo).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ledley King out of Algeria game, not good news although we should cope fine without him and it is a groin inury rather than a knee problem.

Analysis of tonight- not bad but in a way I am pleased we did not play too well, would only lead to over the top reactions and more unrealistic expectations. As is often said, we do not want to peak too early and it is about getting better with every game. Obviously would have liked to have won but a draw is not the worst result and there are plenty of lessons to be learned including Gerrard needs to play in the middle and Heskey does have good value. Also Wright Phillips was very poor and I would like to see Joe Cole play instead.
  • Options
    We were shyte and I had to watch in a bar full of yanks...theye were celebrating as if they had won the WC at the end...embarassing...Joe Hart in goal next game please....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]We were shyte and I had to watch in a bar full of yanks...theye were celebrating as if they had won the WC at the end...embarassing...Joe Hart in goal next game please....
    Could have happened to any of the 3 keepers, is there really that much between them?
  • Options
    First game was always going to be difficult hence my prediction of a draw.

The lack of pace in central defence is a real concern and I felt that our midfield disappeared at times in the second half especially Fat Frank although when he did get on the ball he looked effective.

Heskey did the job expecte of him but he wandered offside rather a lot and his lack of football showed with the 1 on 1 but credit to Howard as he did everything right from a keeping viewpoint.

Talking of keepers what happened to Green could happen to anybody and I'd stick with him.
  • Options
    I said 1 -1 overal it was a good enough performance for a first game bar some poor finishing from heskey SWP we could have won 3-1 which imo would have been a fair resukt

Green made a complete howler and that you can not legislate for the yanks were super fit and didnt really tire caused a few probs but nothing major i am encouraged that there is more to come easily could have lost tonight after the mistake rallyed well and should have won

i go to bed quite content

if you were expecting a totally dominant world class performance you cant follow England much

chin up and a new game starts again soon
  • Options
    thought it was an okay performance but nothing more. However okay won't get you into the quarters even. It was too one paced, no spark, no invention. I thought it a typical England World Cup performance. Cappello's previous assertions that he'd pick players in form and wouldn't take anyone who is injured was shown up. Milner has been ill for days and has lost weight so would be debilitated and yet he started with him. King should never have gone, his injury record shows that he is always going to pick something up. As for those in form, well if Heskey had played more than a few games for Villa this season and was match sharp he'd have stuck that easy chance away. Bent or Defoe would have buried it. Same with the keeper, man in form Joe Hart. Where is David James, oh injured because his knee couldn't take the strain of a seven hour flight. A shambles if you ask me.

As for pundits, ITV all said we had played well and were unlucky. BBC, all said it was a poor performance and must get better. BBC pundits even criticised players and were man enough to say Rooney had a poor game. Jeez, they even analysed the Argentina game and pointed out that for all their good attacking play they gave numerous chances to Nigeria at the back. During the game on ITV they were creaming theirselves over Argentina. Yeah they were good but not that good. Result today : BBC 3 ITV 0. And what was that James Coredn programme all about. Lost 30 minutes of my life there, total crap. Although interesting that Capello didn't ring the players that missed out on the squad but his assistant did. Reason : his assistant's English is better. Can Capello not afford an English teacher on 6m a year ??
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Although not a great performance, not as severe as some make out.
    Carragher looks far too slow. I think he is our weak link.
    What i did notice though, was when Heskey was adjudged to be offside and the Yanks placed the ball a few metres into our half. Well, if we can't beat a team that don't even know the rules...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite][i]Charlton
    It's just like watching Charlton
    It's just like watching Charlton
    It's just like watching Charlton[/i][/quote]

I agree, that same dissapointing feeling when you have done fairly good but just not enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Freak mistake by the keeper. I thought he looked a bit nervous ten minutes before his mistake when he went down to collect a similar shot and his collection of the ball was very rigid and overly text book if that makes sense.

I would have taken that result to be fair. The yanks are no mugs and they had some very athletic players out there. I think Altidore was arguably the best player on the pitch for a few spells.

I think England have an extra pressure on them rightly or wrongly due to general levels of expectation. Thought we did ok and to be honest France and Argentina did nothing to over impress me in their games. I think we were not bad and it isnt a terrible result.

I would start Crouch with rooney with defoe waiting on the bench or vice versa. Rooney can play well enough without heskey in a utd shirt so im sure he will cope. Dont think Heskey had a bad game but i think it was crying out to have Crouch up there with Lennon and SWP whipping balls into the box.

Not a disaster and we will batter Algeria and win the group. I dont think any team that's played so far is unbeatable but at the same time the level of expectation and demand for success from mainly the bandwagon jumpers who dont usually have an interest in the game is mildly irritating.
  • Options
    The American side worked extremely hard and let England know they had been in a game. I thought a draw was a fair result tbh. Both these sides should get through this group.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]The American side worked extremely hard and let England know they had been in a game.
    Agree Pilchard. They kept Rooney in check as they said they would. Lampard didn't get too involed, he should have been alternating with Gerrard to add the extra punch up front.

As for Robert Green, just wait 'til the next spammer bleats on about how "West Ham won the World Cup!"
  • Options
    Did Lampard play?
  • Options
    I think we've all come to expect that this is typical England. A good team but not a great team!

We drew 1-1 with a country that don't even care about football or soccer as they call it. Over there its considered a girls sport and most of the yanks thought they were playing Manchester United instead of England and that just shows you how much the yanks are interested in the World Cup.

I know its only early days but i think its gonna be the same old story all over again!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We drew 1-1 with a country that don't even care about football or soccer as they call it. Over there its considered a girls sport and most of the yanks thought they were playing Manchester United instead of England and that just shows you how much the yanks are interested in the World Cup.

no we drew with the only team that has beaten spain in 50 matches, against arguably the one nation that breeds athletes and a team rated 14th in the world.

The americans are taking football a whole lot more seriously than most have given credit for

a shocker of a moment for Green some poor finishing from Lennon SWP and Heskey the game would have been over and one typical over reactment from the press and most armchair fans AGAIN
  • Options
    Didnt the USA beat italy too recently?

They have a great keeper and some very handy players and they closed us down really quickly. This is the world cup folks...very few gimmees in it this time. We arent going to hammer teams like USA, Australia etc 3-0 and I doubt many teams would in the opening games.

Had 19 shots on goal in a reasonably tight game so goals will come when we get into the swing of it and the team are sharper. Id be more concerned ifwe won two nil with 2 chances on goal even though the papers and whallies on facebook would be estatic and claiming it was our time.

It'll come together over next couple of games. 2nd round will be tough whether we get the Germans or the aussies and thereafter is cup football and we can rasie it for the big games.

Plenty of time for the inquests after we are out but til then im not expecting anything other than committed performances (and every single man in that squad is 100% committed regardless of what they earn or what pratts they may be) and just staying positive.

Let's all see how it pans out over the next couple of games before we start hanging effigies in the street and blaming the bloody foreigner of a manager and Emile Heskey (the media that is and the bandwagon jumpers who know diddly squat about football).
  • Options
    http://www.fifa.com/live/competitions/worldcup/matchday=2/day=1/match=300061466/index.html

Stats on the match. Click on each player to see passes, shots, offsides etc.

England's passing accuracy is interesting

Green 27/39
    Johnson 33/53
    Cole 38/52
    Terry 50/68
    King 12/15
    Gerrard 36/61
    Lampard 41/56
    Milner 3/3
    Lennon 23/26
    Rooney 22/38
    Heskey 17/24
    Crouch 3/4
    SWP 16/24
    Carragher 18/24
  • Options
    Also think we may have dropped a boloc not taking Walcott now.
    Lennon and wright phillips looked very average.The majority of times Lennon recieved the ball he was looking to go backwards with it, showing a real lack of confidence.And the same can be said for SWP.Keegan summed up the good chance he had as just trying to hit the target instead of being clever with it.Another sign of poor confidence.
  • Options
    Rooney was gash!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lennon done ok for me, much better than SWP
  • Options
    Steve Gerrard said "The whole team is behind Rob Green".

In hindsight that's a good place to stand.
  • Options
    Some thoughts...

King - comfortably our worst player on the night, if it weren't for Altidore missing a simple header he'd have conceded a goal. A wise move to sub him, but Carragher looked a bit off pace.

Lennon played ok, but takes a second too long on the ball, a few crosses whipped in first time might have created something, instead he tended to deliberate a bit too much and lost spontaneity.

Why was SWP preferred to Joe Cole to replace Milner? I presume to give a bit of pace on the left, but he's too right-footed to be successful there.

Rooney and Heskey didn't seem to link well and Rooney played a bit too deep for my liking, he needs to shove up a couple of metres.

Heskey - one good assist, but showed why many people don't rate him.
  • Options
    Rooney - a bit too deep.

On one occasion he came back to collect the ball near the half way line & we had about 5 players further up the field than him.

He played way too deep.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Rooney - a bit too deep.

On one occasion he came back to collect the ball near the half way line & we had about 5 players further up the field than him.

He played way too deep.

Agreed. The reason he had such a good season with Utd is becuase he was more disciplined at teneded to stay in a central position upfront and allow the chances to be created for him. I think it may have been worth bringing Defoe on last night when the Americans began to tire. I also wonder if it would be worth switiching to a 3-5-2 with Johnson and A.Cole as wing backs, considering they were more effective in attack than either of our wingers last night. It would also allow Gerrard to play in the middle but in a more advanced role with Lampard and one other behind him. With Carragher at the back he could easily switch around if the formation needed to be changed. Carrick to flll in until Barry is fit.
    [align=center]
    [align=center]
    GK----

- ----Dawson Terry Carragher

Barry

Johnson Lampard A.Cole

Gerrard

Rooney Heskey
    [/align][/align]
  • Options
    I agree with Carly above about Lennon. I dont know who the hell has been coaching him for the last month since the end of the Premiership but how many bloody times did he check and look to go backwards? Someone must have told him to do that as he has hardly done that at all in the last 4 years at Spurs. Certainly didnt look the same player and looks like he'd sh1t himself, something that I've never seen from him before. I hope someone has a word with him and tell him to do what he's best at, just take the full back on and get to the byline.
  • Options
    It's a strange one John, as it was reported that Walcott was given the heave ho for not doing as Capello asked and skin the fullback and whip some crosses in.
  • Options
    I think Lennon's a class act and has the potential to be a really top drawer international winger. The moment when he slipped the ball past the fullback and absolutely rocketed past him to pull the ball back from the byline shows what he's capable of. He didn't overall have a brilliant game, but the talent's there, and he's worth sticking with.

I don't agree that Walcott should have gone. SWP was awful but he shouldn't have gone either. Joe Cole or Milner (once well again) on the left for me.
  • Options
    [align=center] . .....James..............
    ...Johnson... ......carragher.... . ....Terry... .....A cole......
    . .....Barry
    ...Lennon... ....J Cole....
    .....Lampard...
    . ....Gerrard......
    . ...Rooney.....[/align]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Didnt the USA beat italy too recently?

They have a great keeper and some very handy players and they closed us down really quickly. This is the world cup folks...very few gimmees in it this time. We arent going to hammer teams like USA, Australia etc 3-0 and I doubt many teams would in the opening games.

Agreed. I'm interested to see how the Yanks do against some of the other big sides in the tournament. Considering how flaky Argentina looked, I doubt they would have coped well against a team that actually presses them (Nigeria were incredibly timid).