Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v USA - Match Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hahaha according to the press over here the USA "won" 1-1 against the "British"...

New York Post Headline

Watching it in a bar in LA wasn't the greatest, with the yanks cheering every save and corner (and on occassion tackle/throw-in) like they'd won the whole blooming thing.

Also bizarre to hear Martin Tyler commentating to the American audience as he's working for ABC out here.

The only thing I'll say to be fair is that despite their lack of knowledge about the game or usual enthusiasm for it, there was massive interest here for the World Cup (not just this match) and they broadcasted it on ABC which is terrestrial and available to every home in America.

Nick
  • Options
    Think Carly's team above is about as spot on as it gets... play Rooney on his own, Lampard and Gerrard play in their best positions so you get the best out of them...all apart from Carragher. I'd even put in Sol Campbell ahead of him and that really is saying something.
  • Options
    King very doubtful for rest of the tournament.No surprises there.
    Add this to his selection of Green,Milner and then Wright-Phillips and i'm starting to think Capello might actually be English after all.
  • Options
    Carragher is far too slow for International Football.
  • Options
    Been a great supporter of Capello and i still believe in him but his team/sub selection on saturday was bizarre to say the least. 3 main questions........

Milner - Not been fit and ill that day. Why start him?

SWP - Bringing him on to play on the left. The man can barely use his right. Why not bring on Joe Cole?

Defoe - With the USA tiring, why not bring him on for the last 20 to exploit the space in behind them?

Just got the impression that Capello didnt know what he was doing himself in regards to our attacking side. The last warm-up game against Japan, he should have used the starting 11 for the America game. Not naming the side up until 5:30 just put more emphasis on the rumour that even the manager doesnt know his best side going forward. I think he is a great manager and his record at club level is awesome, however just a little concerned that he may be feeling the heat at International level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Been a great supporter of Capello and i still believe in him but his team/sub selection on saturday was bizarre to say the least. 3 main questions........

Milner - Not been fit and ill that day. Why start him?

SWP - Bringing him on to play on the left. The man can barely use his right. Why not bring on Joe Cole?

Defoe - With the USA tiring, why not bring him on for the last 20 to exploit the space in behind them?

Just got the impression that Capello didnt know what he was doing himself in regards to our attacking side. The last warm-up game against Japan, he should have used the starting 11 for the America game. Not naming the side up until 5:30 just put more emphasis on the rumour that even the manager doesnt know his best side going forward. I think he is a great manager and his record at club level is awesome, however just a little concerned that he may be feeling the heat at International level.

One of the critisisms levelled at Capello is that he is very very stubborn.So why was the starting lineup such a big secret? Was it to keep the americans guessing so they could not disrupt his plans? I doubt it.Announcing the team earlier would have put the wind up the americans IMO.
    I think the sole reason for the secrecy was to piss the media off.Capello hates them with a passion and they did not have a sniff until right up to kick off.Full marks for giving them the slip but when it starts to effect your teams performance it's time to let it go.
  • Options
    2cfdto0.gif
  • Options
    well at least robert green supports england give him another 50 chances
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]well at least robert green supports england give him another 50 chances
    Someone is in pre-season training already...