Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup pundits

F**k me, some of these fellas are truly abysmal.

I mean, who ever thought that Edgar Davids was ever going to bring anything to the party? Patrick Viera isn't great either, ditto Clarence Seedorf and Marcel Desailly. Jeez, it's almost a welcome relief to hear Gareth Southgate's monotone droning cos at least I can bleedin understand him!

Do you reckon French TV have got Chris Waddle talking shite? Or maybe Trevor Steven is on Dutch telly?

Comments

• Options
    Wholeheartedly agree.No two ways about it.This world cup is toilet.
  • Options
    In general all the presenters, commentators and pundits have under-researched, show a lack of general football knowledge, lack of detailed tactical knowledge and only appear to have limited knowledge of the few big teams.

It's almost embarrassing to listen to. It seems to have been dumbed down to the level of non-football fans with no idea about the game.

The only 2 pundits that have actually attempted to offer some decent tactical analysis is Hansen and Adebayor...if you can follow what he says!
  • Options
    lol Sparrow was going to same the same, seems like Adebeyour knows what he's talking about but hard to understand so whats the point?

Why couldn't we get Michael Owen or some world cup greats, instead frenchman

footnote, Adrian Chiles what a knob
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]lol Sparrow was going to same the same, seems like Adebeyour knows what he's talking about but hard to understand so whats the point?

Why couldn't we get Michael Owen or some world cup greats, instead frenchman

footnote, Adrian Chiles what a knob

Owen has no personality. I didn't like him, but at least Ian Wright injected some enthusiasm and honesty into it all!

Paul Robinson (the keeper) worked on Sky Sports a few times last year and he came across very well, someone should've signed him up.

Chiles doesn't seem to know sod all and makes so many bad jokes!!
  • Options
    Have no issue with foreign pundits, better than listening to a string of failed english mangers trying to tell successful mangers what they should be doing at half time. It would be better if the foreign pundits were targeted at their own nations though, that way they might tell us something we didn't already know.
  • Options
    Most of them i dont mind. Having a German on there is a bit rich though :-). The only one who i would really like to see taken of the TV is Chiles the man is a fool.
  • Options
    Unbelievable, seems like they are all at it!...Jimmy Greaves just said on that crap corden show that he was impressed with Brazil!!!!....can you imagine if England turned in a performance like that against North Korea!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Do you reckon French TV have got Chris Waddle talking shite?

It's probably only he and Hoddle that they would consider. But seeing as there are plenty of French people to do the job why would they bother? Don't know why we do it. That being said they don't even do analysis here in France; something that really pisses me off. You should think yourselves lucky: I stream the analysis at half time and after the match because I know Hansen, Dixon etc often have something interesting to say. In France it's 5 minutes build-up, adverts, 1st half, 15 minutes adverts, 2nd half, music & credits, The End (even when they were in The Final!)
  • Options
    think the commentators are crap too. For Miacon's goal tonight he said initially that 'it was fortunate' and 'I think that's an own goal by the keeper'. What ?? Are you actually watching the game or not. And regarding pundits I think Dixon and Hansen are the only one's worth their salt and all the ITV one's are crap esp Keegan.
  • Options
    ITV are generally sub standard anyway, usually it would not bother me at all but seen as the football is not the best (yet), it is more noticeable that the pundits are shocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is Mick McCarthy out there?
  • Options
    Don't mind Shearer, Hansen and Seedorf, can't stand any of the ITV ones (in fact can't stand ITV!)

Used to like the BBC when they also had O'Neill and Strachen plus Ian Wright.
  • Options
    Watching it on Al Jazeera over here, its anchored by Angus Scott (ex ITV & Setanta) with the goateed Terry Venables, Ray Wilkins and Mark Hateley.
    Sounds like its a better setup than back home.
  • Options
    Andy Townsend, as usual, is the best of the bunch......... IMHO.
  • Options
    ITV dropped a clanger letting El Tel go to Qatar
  • Options
    Money talks i guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Andy Townsend, as usual, is the best of the bunch......... IMHO.

Things must be bad if that's the case.
  • Options
    According to Sco a long lost poster from here: "Robbie Savage's opinion of a WC game on 5Live: "I'm looking forward to the travel news."

I might start listening to 5 live!
  • Options
    Seedorf is good, actually has something to say if they let him in-between the "jokes" and laddish comments. Talks formations and tactics not clichés.

ITV are always terrible.

Not very illuminating piece on the Robben Island Football League on BBC. A far more interesting story than the way it was told.

BBC were embarrassing slagging off their own game (NZ v Slovakia) as they expected Ivory Coast v Portugal and Brazil v DPR Korea to be so much more exciting. WRONG.

And Slovakia are not some footballing non-entity. They reached two finals in their old form.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And Slovakia are not some footballing non-entity. They reached two finals in their old form.

Correct me if im wrong Henry, but would the main footballing body of Czechoslovakia become Czech Republic?....would it not be like comparing FYR Macedonia to Yugoslavia?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Seedorf is good, actually has something to say if they let him in-between the "jokes" and laddish comments. Talks formations and tactics not clichés.

I agree, Seedorf was good value. There seems to be a common denominator in Off_it's post. Maybe he wants Big Ron back....

:-{
  • Options
    Could be worse, apparently South Africa have got Gary Mabbutt as a pundit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Andy Townsend, as usual, is the best of the bunch......... IMHO.

Things must be bad if that's the case.

And what's wrong with him...he's fantastic....good reader of the game, undemonstrative cool delivery and very informative...there's nothing whatever to dislike about the bloke......... not like some folk that is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Seedorf is good, actually has something to say if they let him in-between the "jokes" and laddish comments. Talks formations and tactics not clichés.

I agree, Seedorf was good value. There seems to be a common denominator in Off_it's post. Maybe he wants Big Ron back....

:-{

WUM. I woudlnt rise to this Off It.
  • Options
    I think Seedorf is excellent and his English is very good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Why is Mick McCarthy out there?

Agree whos decission was that he has no clue what hes on abpout same as someones decission to make a failed League 1 manager Vice president of FIFA or whatever high paid role John Barnes got that he diddnt deserve.
  • Options
    Actually dont mind what McCarthy says. He is one miserable bastard though.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion

Paul Robinson (the keeper) worked on Sky Sports a few times last year and he came across very well, someone should've signed him up.

Yeah. Capello!
  • Options
    I like Seedorf - he's been interesting in the summarising, and clearly knows his stuff. I'd have less of a problem with Adebayour's accent if he didn't talk so bloody fast. I'm really starting to wonder though if half the problem with the guys on ITV is that Chiles just isn't asking the right questions of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I like Seedorf - he's been interesting in the summarising, and clearly knows his stuff. I'd have less of a problem with Adebayour's accent if he didn't talk so bloody fast. I'm really starting to wonder though if half the problem with the guys on ITV is that Chiles just isn't asking the right questions of them.

Adebayors accent combined with him being softly spoken and fast makes it a pointless exercise having him on IMO. No one will come out in the mainstream media and say so for obvious reasons.

My biggest problem with pundits is that they are often either current players or very close to current players. You are hardly likely to find Adebayor, Viera et al giving an honest appraisal of their mates performance when they know they'll be popping around their house for a BBQ at the weekend can you? There should be a policy of only employing ex-players