Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Manager - No Respect

Comments

• Options
    Great comments!

For the life of me I cant work them out. Not only will they get a sack load of more money in endorsements, increased wages etc if they win the WC they are guaranteed to all be Knighted as well.

If playing in the WC is not the highlight of a career then the extra money and fame must be!

All these players have played in the WC before, so they know what it is like, so they already know its 4 weeks of sitting around, its hardly rocket science to work out it would be the same again.

To me i dont beleive any of them truly care about england, if you take Terry as a classic example, as soon as he was england captain he couldnt wait to cash in on it.

As i said at the start, get rid of them all after the tournament.
  • Options
    can someone explain to me why, after two years in the job and on 6m a year, Capello still has to rely on an interpreter ?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My personal take on why we aren't doing very well in this World Cup has nothing to do with formation, or passion or the manager or how much the players are paid. Lets look at the squad. Our first two choice goalkeepers conceded 132 goals between them this year. Up front we have a player who can't even get into the Villa team, his obvious replacement managed only 8 goals this season. In defence we're recalling a 32 year old CB who probably had the worst season for his club this decade, other than that we have King, who is lucky if he can manage 2 games in a row, let alone 7 & Upson who was, like Green, part of that miserable defence that nearly got relegated with West Ham. On the wings we have Lennon, Milner, Wright-Phillips. All reasonable players, but hardly Messi & Ronaldo, while our supposed saviour is an ex-Chelsea reserve player who doesn't even have a club. We're not playing we cause we're not very good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]We should send then to Afghanistan and see how they like it there instead...

havnt we done enough damage to that country, already?
  • Options
    They visited an orphanage just south of Rustenburg today. 'It was nice to give something back to people with no hope,' said Mbutto, age 6, to the assembled press.
  • Options
    If cappello cannot get england going the right way nobody can,the problem is imo that these rules that cappello hands out ,like showing respect at dinner and not hanging with your wag etc maybe adhered to by terry and co but i feel there not really getting into the spirit of it,probably sneer at the rules he makes instead of embracing them and believing in them.
  • Options
    Shame none of them can read...take a few decent books with you and that easily enthrals you for a few hours between lunch and dinner.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Shame none of them can read...take a few decent books with you and that easily enthrals you for a few hours between lunch and dinner.

Will you be taking The Complete Works of Cass Pennant on holiday Sparrows?

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Shame none of them can read...take a few decent books with you and that easily enthrals you for a few hours between lunch and dinner.
    Lunch and dinner...?

That's the same thing, innit....?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]We should send then to Afghanistan and see how they like it there instead...

Don't worry, they are firing blanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]

Don't worry, they are firing blanks.

Not what I've heard, apparently they gave Heskey a sub machine gun and he still missed.
  • Options
    Green dropped the ammo...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    Lunch and dinner...?

Only if your a dirty northern monkey who can't speak English.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Causes atleast one arguement in my house everyday ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    Lunch and dinner...?

Only if your a dirty northern monkey who can't speak English.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Causes atleast one arguement in my house everyday ;-)
    Pass the sauce, Cecil...
  • Options
    Oh my word, is anyone watching the interview with Capello on ITV? He's not happy with the John Terry press conference.
  • Options
    Terry has made "a big mistake". If only Rio and King were fit he'd be gone...
  • Options
    Please update ali as on train. Is john terry in trouble? God they could all do without this.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If I remember rightly Amazon, in the 2002 World Cup Squad gave the England players free books. Out of the list of books by players only Mills and James read anything interesting. I think Danny Mills was reading some economic books, and James his usual quasi-spiritual-pop-psychology like the Tipping Point.

As for these group of players, like the last twenty years, we produce centrally minded attacking players that invariably use brute force. Even the ones who were able to flit in-between lines with great lateral movement, and play well against South European/American teams, like McMannaman and Scholes were generally misused by England managers. The two best tournament performances were under Venables and Robson where we used five across the middle, which enables us to use our best players further up the pitch centrally. Scholes and Gerrard are the ones that would have/will benefit the most from this. Nearly every succesful team in WC's either pack the midfield or use two defensive midfielders. Clearly we have always needed to pack the midfield.
  • Options
    Summary at itv.com as follows:
    England boss Fabio Capello has astonishingly hit back at his former captain John Terry after the Chelsea man called for Joe Cole to be picked in a press conference.

Terry also used his audience with the press on Sunday morning to say that players had issues with Capello's management that would be addressed in a team meeting that evening.

But the Italian disciplinarian has said Terry's decision to go public with his concerns was a "big mistake".

Capello believes Terry has been disrespectful to other players in the England squad by calling for Joe Cole to be picked. He says he can't understand why Terry did not speak to him directly.

And he reveals that at the team meeting, he merely played a tape of the first half of the Algeria game. He says he did not speak to individual players about mistakes, but merely watching their performance should have been enough for the players.
  • Options
    At first i thought good on you JT your saying exactly what we are all saying at home, then as today wound on i started analizing the whole scenerio and he chose the wrong medium and the wrong words, he was disrespectful to the rest of the squad and the mgr

i find myself now wondering if this was more about JT then anyone or anything else

Cappelo has got my vote and i believe he will steer us through , he said imediatly after the algerian game that he would make changes, not because JT or other little weasles said so.

bring on weds COME ON ENGLAND it is time to get this show started
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lets be honest with ourselves terry is a rancid little coward who is lucky to be at the world cup,he repays cappello with this.
  • Options
    John Terry or Capello- oh tough one! One of the games most repected and successful managers who has generally done a fine job with England or a player who almost single handedly defined what is wrong with football and footballers.

If Rio or King were fit, JT may struggle to even be in the side especially after an outburst like yesterday. Terry will probably only play Wednesday cause we have almost no one else.
  • Options
    Some worrying points coming out of all this today. Firstly Capello's response has shown Terry's arrogance and cowardice in playing this out through the media for what it is BUT personally I'm uncomfortable with what seems a tit for tat response. Capello should get him and anyone else who thinks they know better than him together and tell them in no uncertain terms that he picks the team, formation, tactics, etc not the players and if anyone wants to go shouting their mouth off in the press then they can do it from outside the squad.

Another point - why did he not take the Algeria game apart with the team? Playing the first half again and letting them draw their own conclusions ain't good enough for my money, particularily when this lot couldn't draw a bath without someone holding their hand.
  • Options
    I think everyone is taking what Terry said about Joe Cole out of context.
  • Options
    Just watched the whole Fabio Capello interview....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4MeTS7hLlI

He gives Terry the biggest bitch-slapping he can without going too far, no doubt he would drop the Pikey if he had Ferdinand/King available.

"You must think about the team, not just yourself."
  • Options
    sewer rats struggle with that concept mate.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Lampard doesn't play well for England but he seems a very decent bloke, very intelligent and goes beyond the cliches.

I agree with you that Lampard seems a decent guy. But wait, surely he doesn't play well for England because he's an overhyped, overpaid prima donna? Hmm, looks like we might have to accept there's more to it than simplistic slating of our players.

Terry and Gerrard are scum, but they've been scum throughout their period as captains of two of the major European sides of the last 5-10 years. They were scum when they played poorly for England under Mclaren, and they were scum when they played well in qualifying under Capello. They were also scum when they wept at England's various penalty shoot-out exits.

The point is it doesn't have a bearing on their passion, or their drive or their football. The only time we say it does is when they're not playing well, and then it gets dredged up in lieu of more complex and accurate points.
  • Options
    Lampard doesn't play well for England because he is surrounded by far better players in his club side....

It is absolutely NOT a question of a lack of commitment, its a complete lack of collective technique compared to our continental cousins.

In short, they play to keep possession and then score goals whereas England try and play the killer pass as early as possible and give the ball away.

We don't have a play-maker, both Gerrard and Lampard are goal-scoring midfielders who want to get on the end of things.

Our only playmaker is Carrick and he can't even get in the United team, this is why Capello tried to bring Scholes back into the side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Lampard doesn't play well for England because he is surrounded by far better players in his club side....

It is absolutely NOT a question of a lack of commitment, its a complete lack of collective technique compared to our continental cousins.

In short, they play to keep possession and then score goals whereas England try and play the killer pass as early as possible and give the ball away.

We don't have a play-maker, both Gerrard and Lampard are goal-scoring midfielders who want to get on the end of things.

Our only playmaker is Carrick and he can't even get in the United team, this is why Capello tried to bring Scholes back into the side.

Not sure about the point about Lampard's ability. I've seen him play some terrific stuff for Chelski, and it's not like the foreign players repeatedly kick the ball in the net for him.

But otherwise, it's refreshing to see a post actually about footballing reasons being the cause of footballing results. My post wasn't aimed at you per se, but all this rubbish that keeps cropping up on this forum that England played poorly because Glen Johnson stole a toilet seat from B&Q or because Terry's image rights are on a chocolate bar.
  • Options
    Anyone else think that Lampard and Gerrard don't really get on.Never seem to talk to one another during a game.
    Central midfield pairings often buzz around a football pitch like a mini pack.One helping out when the others in trouble.Constantly encouraging one another.Not these two.