Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gritts Gone Now

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
Sad to see this on the OS after such a long association with the club, all the best Gritty

Comments

• Options
    fcuk me. There will be no-one left soon. Kins is out of contract too I believe. Good luck Gritty, one of a few we can truely call a legend.
  • Options
    From the OS:

Charlton academy director Steve Gritt is to leave the Addicks, the club announced on Wednesday.

The two parties have mutually agreed not to extend the contract of the Charlton stalwart and former joint first-team manager when it expires at the end of June.

However, although the measure is part of a series of budget cuts across the club, the Addicks board has reiterated its commitment to maintaining Charlton's academy status - with plc chairman Richard Murray pledging to continue to run an academy for at least the next two years.

Indeed, following the promotion of Norwich City and Leeds United to the Championship, Charlton will be one of just three League One clubs to have a youth academy in 2010/11.

"There is no question that Steve has played an important role for the club over many years, first as a player and then as a hugely-respected coach and member of staff," said Murray.

"His history with the club speaks for itself and it's a very sad day when the club is in a position where we have to make these kinds of decisions.

"In all the discussions that will take place across many fronts this summer, we are putting the future of the club first, and hopefully by taking painful decisions such as this one, we can strengthen the long-term prospects of the club.

"The club is committed to the academy going forward, but the current cost-cutting measures and budget reductions mean we have come to an agreement with Steve that he will not be involved next season."

Gritt said: "I'm delighted at the role the Charlton academy has played within the club over the past six years, and I'm proud of the players who have come through. I know there are more currently coming through the system who will hopefully become first-team players of the future, and I shall be following their progress - hopefully from not too far away.

"Of course, I am disappointed to be leaving the club again, but hopefully this will give me an opportunity to look for new challenges which I still feel I have in me.

"I'd love to get back on the training ground and working within a first-team environment again if possible. Having gained 20 years of experience, hopefully there is someone out there who feels they could use someone with that experience."

Murray added: "Steve, along with all of his staff, have played an integral role in the development of a host of players and maintaining the continued reputation of the Charlton academy as one of the best in the country. We are grateful for all his efforts for the club, and wish him all the best for the future."

The club will now meet with assistant academy manager Steve Avory and development coach Damian Matthew to discuss the future running of the academy, with Matthew, who has been heavily involved in the development of the youth team through to the first-team ranks in recent years, expected to take on a more hands-on role in running the academy in conjunction with Avory.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36218
  • Options
    Blimey - I'm going to send my CV in and see if I can get a spot on the bench for next season. I have got 8 years of Sunday League football behind me afterall and, at the age of 34 am in the prime of my career.
  • Options
    Steve Gritt is a total good guy end of, gutted he is going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Blimey - I'm going to send my CV in and see if I can get a spot on the bench for next season. I have got 8 years of Sunday League football behind me afterall and, at the age of 34 am in the prime of my career.

we can joke but this is really becoming more serious than we thought surely. I can see Kins being next, can we really afford Parky, Breacker and Kinsella.
  • Options
    Id like to throw my hat in the ring to manage the team please, ill do it for free aswell
  • Options
    totally agree with you Large.

they should have kept Gritty and got rid of one of the 1st team staff...........we don't need a manager, a second-in-command (Breaker), a coach (Kins), a goal keeping Coach and a fitness guru !!

On match days we sometimes have 5 "support staff" out with the players warming up.............madness !!
  • Options
    Good luck Mr Gritt CAFC in his blood. I wont forget that he was there that rainy Sunday in 1989 standing on the terraces next to the main stand. The day we went back home. He was with his late daughter that day.

A true CAFC legend.
  • Options
    Sad to see Steve go. It must've been a tough decision and shows how bad things are at the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Indeed, following the promotion of Norwich City and Leeds United to the Championship, Charlton will be one of just three League One clubs to have a youth academy in 2010/11.
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36218

Shocking statistic that and a clue perhaps to why we aren't producing good enough English players. If Div 3 clubs are relying on picking up journeymen foreign players and those that aren't good enough to grace the bench in the Championship, etc then things are in a bad, bad, way. Seems also counterproductive for clubs surely as although expensive to run you only need to produce a Jonjo every few years or so to make them self financing or thereabouts?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad news......

and I think its only gonna get worse im afraid...... i am afraid..
  • Options
    Oh yeah, also very sad to see a true Charlton legend no longer associated with us and hope to see him back again some day.
  • Options
    Christ alive. This is bad.

Good luck Steve in finding new work. Hopefully you will be back one day... if this ship stops sinking.
  • Options
    Ill never forget Gritty sending me a cheque in 1994 when i ran the London Marathon, i did it for BBSF which he was obviously involved with at the time. Proper Cafc legend
  • Options
    Bad times, very depressing that it's come to this.

Good Luck Steve,
  • Options
    Forgot to mention good luckto Steve.... sttill remmeber a cracker he scored against QPR I think...
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted about this. Knew things were bad but thought a figure like Steve would be retained.

Good luck to him and hope the Club is making the right decision.
  • Options
    Good luck Steve. I remember when you came to Charlton from, Bournemouth was it?, in the 70's. Great club servant, hope you are back in football very soon.
  • Options
    If somebody else has to go it seems strange to get rid of a legend like Gritty. Why not Avory or, as suggested above, Breaker?

I'm seriously worried about the way the Club is going, not just financially. People like Gritty ARE Charlton.

Gritty talks about wanting a first team challenge. This is the man that rescued Brighton fron inevitable relegation to the Conference!

Why don't we make use of him and all his experience?

Madness!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If somebody else has to go it seems strange to get rid of a legend like Gritty. Why not Avory

Because when making necessary cutbacks the first thing you do is strip out sentiment and determine where savings can be made whilst retaining within budget who you feel are the best people for the job going forward.

Good luck Steve, proper Charlton legend. Hope you get fixed up soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is anyone suprised? The warning shots were fired by the board about the implications of not getting promoted.
  • Options
    Gutted as others have said a true legend

Very Sad

Good luck to him
  • Options
    cheaper to get rid of too as at end of his contract, good luck steve, nice fella as I recall when he did CA meeting once, not sure he appreciated my views on development but he was very polite and a great guest
  • Options
    Absolutely shocked. I was only talking to him yesterday at our kids sports day and he was really optimistic about the kids coming through the academy. Words fail me...
  • Options
    Makes me shudder at the (very real) possibility of a third season in League One.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Makes me shudder at the (very real) possibility of a third season in League One.

better than a 1st season in League 2.
  • Options
    Uh oh. It's all unravelling...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Makes me shudder at the (very real) possibility of a third season in League One.

better than a 1st season in League 2.

bang, thats what im worried about......
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I understand the finances but this news makes me incredibly sad. As mentioned earlier Gritt was cafc through and through.
  • Options
    I guess the much vaunted KRBS academy sponsorship doesn't cover Gritty then....