Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gritts Gone Now

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If somebody else has to go it seems strange to get rid of a legend like Gritty. Why not Avory or, as suggested above, Breaker?

[/quote]

wages most likely. Gritty probably signed his last contract when we were in the prem, therefore was probably on a decent wage.

real shame to lose someone who's been involved with the club for so long.
  • Options
    Good luck to Steve. Am I the only one who is now concerned that Murrays pledge to keep the academy for at least 2 years may now not be guaranteed.

Dark Days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If somebody else has to go it seems strange to get rid of a legend like Gritty. Why not Avory

Because when making necessary cutbacks the first thing you do is strip out sentiment and determine where savings can be made whilst retaining within budget who you feel are the best people for the job going forward.

Good luck Steve, proper Charlton legend. Hope you get fixed up soon.

I understand that.

However if the decision has genuinely been made with a view to going forward, rather than, as Razil implies, because his contract has conveniently expired, I cannot understand how we can recklessly throwaway 20 years experience which can only benefit young aspiring footballers in conjunction with the highly rated coaching of Damian Matthew.

Someone will doubtless say well what about when Gritty went for Curbs?

In my view we are not comparing like with like as then two men were essentially doing the same job. Gritty, as I understand it, managed the academy and Damian Matthew and Steve Avory did the coaching.

Gritty has said he'd like to get back on the training field so I'll ask again why not Gritty and Matthew?
  • Options
    Really shocked by this. Steve Gritt is proper Charlton. Big mistake letting him go. No doubt he'll be back in work soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]If somebody else has to go it seems strange to get rid of a legend like Gritty. Why not Avory or, as suggested above, Breaker?

wages most likely. Gritty probably signed his last contract when we were in the prem, therefore was probably on a decent wage.

real shame to lose someone who's been involved with the club for so long.

Good point.
  • Options
    If Avory went i'd be very displeased. I am more dissapointed at this.

It has nothing to do with Avory being my old P.E teacher.... really i swear ;o)
  • Options
    Very very sad. Will the bad news ever stop coming? Good luck Gritty, still remember you coming on at the Valley for your debut, and steadying the ship at Luton when we were losing 7-0. But most of all for your headed winner against the Hammers at the Valley.
  • Options
    I don't know why people are shocked at these latest developments. I can understand saddened, but not shocked. We knew that if we failed to get promotion then the cloth will have to be cut dramatically for us to survive, this is now happening.
  • Options
    Sad sad news.
    I saw him the other week.
    He had no hair, but I didnt care.
  • Options
    Good Luck Gritty .....Legend.

Hope he gets fixed up soon.

Very sad day, amongst many recent others, but not surprising in current circumstances
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's been at Millwall before and he'll be there again...

Good luck Steve, not the first time you've left and hopefully it'll not be the last time you return.
  • Options
    Been going ecstatic over the Orkneys and Farne Islands so we're going to stay on holiday for ever, seems like there's no Charlton to come back for. This is just very very depressing. Wishing Steve all the very best.
  • Options
    Very saddened to hear this. Good luck Gritty hopefully in better times he'll be involved with the club again.
  • Options
    I imagine its GRitty not Mathews because his contract was up and Mathews wasn't. Lets stop rying to say it should have ben someone else and that's quite unpleasnt if you are the person that peoplke are pushing.

Hard decisions have been made and will continue to be. I ask again that we give staff a break if they don't give 100% at this time as it must be a truely depressing place to work at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Hard decisions have been made and will continue to be. I ask again that we give staff a break if they don't give 100% at this time as it must be a truely depressing place to work at the moment.

3 people made redundant at our place today and I've been told I'm out the door before the end of the year. Fcuking depressing here too, doesn't mean I won't be giving 100% whilst I'm still here. At the very least I'll do that for my colleagues, some of whom I've worked with for over twenty years, and deserve my best efforts.
    And no pay rise for THREE years either.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Get's a little bit worse everyday another price we are having to pay for the failure to get promoted last season. All the best to Steve Gritt who is as many others have rightly said- a true Charlton legend.
  • Options
    Good Luck Steve, yet another good guy has to go...........................
  • Options
    Gawd.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]Hard decisions have been made and will continue to be. I ask again that we give staff a break if they don't give 100% at this time as it must be a truely depressing place to work at the moment.

3 people made redundant at our place today and I've been told I'm out the door before the end of the year. Fcuking depressing here too, doesn't mean I won't be giving 100% whilst I'm still here. At the very least I'll do that for my colleagues, some of whom I've worked with for over twenty years, and deserve my best efforts.
    And no pay rise for THREE years either.

Compare that to not set pay rises at all (know someone who's been there 8 years and had one pay rise with a promotion), 18 people made redundant last year (I think?) another five or so this time round and a lot of long serving staff.

And do you get to read people slagging you off on websites on a daily basis?

I'm not saying they wont work hard I just saying cut them some slack, is that too much to ask?
  • Options
    Gutted , have to agree with falconwood 1 there won't be a club soon.
    The running of this club makes the Gliksten era look competent I have supported this club since the late 60's and this is the most depressing time i have ever known as a fan, even in the dark days of ground sharing you could see light at the end of the tunnel with each passing day it seems that there is only one possible outcome.
    How could it go so wrong so quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This one has really hit home the reality of the sittuation.

Steve Gritt is a great bloke, spoken to him many times, a genuine down to earth guy who is CAFC through & through.
  • Options
    Poor old Gritty. He must think Muzza's got it in for him or something!Last time round he was outed in favour of Curbs, this time Matthew/Avory have been chosen over him! Financial choice? Most certainly, but I wonder if they also thought that the Academy would be better moving forward without his involvement?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]Most certainly, but I wonder if they also thought that the Academy would be better moving forward without his involvement?
    Or maybe they think Damian Matthew has now been around long enough to take control of some of the things Gritt would have been in charge of, he's been here nearly 4 years now.
  • Options
    Can't afford to play A FOOTBALL MATCH at The Valley, redundancies, 7,000 ST's, now Gritty going. . . . .

It doesn't take much to work out where we are headed. . . . .what an utter joke.

Absolutely unbelievable how many bad decisions have been made.

What worries me now is that if you're a parent of a young player would you want them to sign for this bloody shambles??
  • Options
    I've seen that photo before, can't remember what it's from?
  • Options
    2010 First Team Christmas Party innit
  • Options
    Not sure there is any sign of us getting near the bottom of this slide yet. Desperately sad to see Gritty go. Bad times.
  • Options
    When Gritty was sacked in 1995 I did a piece with him for the following week's Mercury. Turned out that he had made a personal appearance - in Eltham, I think - on the Saturday after being sacked, because he'd committed to doing it as joint Charlton boss and didn't want to let anyone down. He was still very upset about the decision when I got hold of him - and he didn't have to take my call either - but completely professional in what he said.

As a fan it's easy to attribute personal qualities to players on the basis of what you see on the field and then be disappointed when you find out more about them. I don't think you'd ever have that problem with Steve Gritt. Respect.
  • Options
    It's very hard to take when a legend like Gritty is shown the door.

Right at this moment, I f**king hate football.
  • Options
    Hopefully your loss is our gain.

He was fantastic during his time at us and all the players spoke very highly of him. Seems a top bloke and very good at his job.