Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Effigies of Jade being burnt in India

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2007
    no that row was last night, this was a few nights ago, i think sunday night i watched it live, and it was a discussion about what they thought about everything, and it wasn't a row at all, but they wrote it as a row, and the edited show made it look like a row too. the write ups on the website aren't accurate at all about anything, just skim read it, and the write ups of the last few days are really out

i can't believe they can get away with writing things up in the way they do, as what you see on the screen even in the hour edit isn't the same as what they write it up to be, let alone the actual live show.

i like jade as she's thick, normal, doesn't pretend to be anything else. she knows she's opinionated, and she's been open and honest from the beginning with her probs with shilpa. she's not slagged her off behind her back if she didn't say it to her face. she just says what she thinks.
    everything that is written or portrayed about her in magazines/newspapers on in an hour edit on big brother is a tiny section of who she is and it sways people into inaccurate opnions. i'm not really a fan of the media, and make my own mind up. media manipulation! grr.
  • Options
    Now, now Curb_it and Suzi don't you two start:-)
  • Options
    *walks away*
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    and in my opinion ive watched quite a few programmes on her. i cant stand her and i think she's a nasty bully but yes i've based my opinion on not watching highlights but reading the updates on digital spy. sorry if you think thats terrible tho.
  • Options
    and to qualify never in my life - no matter how much i have disliked a person have i been that incessantly rude or nasty - not in a pack like that. unlikeable.
  • Options
    *runs away*
  • Options
    i posted my message at the same time as yours, so it wasn't a dig at you by the way
  • Options
    I thought Jade was sacred in India?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    i like jade as she's thick, normal, doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Quality ...
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jade is white trash, as are the other two witches who are picking on her.

"Indians are skinny cause they don't cook properly" Racist or Stupid? She wasn't called a F**king P***, she was called a F**king C*nt by that waste of breath who proports to be Jade's boyfriend, but is that the way people should be treated.

The former Channel 4 exec can be relaxed as he likes, OfCom will slap a massive fine on Channel 4, £3 million will just about wipe out the Carphone Warehouse sponsorship money, and a 7 figure fine is I understand Channel 4 are expecting.
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

the only thing that jade, danielle and jo are guilty of is ignorance by asking silly questions, but really, they dont like her, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of who they do and don't like and in the same why you guys don't like jade, and i think she's fab, is another example of this.

i do think they are joining their ignorant heads together and being offensive to try to get a laugh, but i really don't think its intentional, and by no means racist.

ignorance should never be excuse for racism btw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And for a little think piece on this from todays G2

'Why does everyone hate me?'

Thousands of viewers have complained about the racist bullying of Shilpa Shetty on Big Brother. But we should not be surprised by the housemates' behaviour - it reflects the widespread bigotry of British society, says Germaine Greer. Novelist Hari Kunzru pays tribute to the Bollywood star's grace under fire.

Germaine Greer and Hari Kunzru
    Wednesday January 17, 2007
    The Guardian

There are no good reasons for watching Celebrity Big Brother and very good reasons for not. Not watching will spare you the nerve-fraying annoyingness that is Shilpa Shetty. Everything about her is infuriating: her haughty way of stalking about, her indomitable self-confidence, her chandelier earrings, her leaping eyebrows, her mirthless smile, her putty nose and her eternal bray, "Why does everyone hate me?" Not to mention the crying jags. What no one seems to have quite understood is that Shilpa is a very good actress. Everyone hates her because she wants them to. She also knows that if she infuriates people enough, their innate racism will spew forth.
    As a Tamil, Shetty has certainly had to deal with discrimination at home in suburban Mumbai. Her only motive for parading in front of the other women in the house with whitener on her face was to show what utter hicks they are, how little they understand of her complex reality or of a billion people in the subcontinent who all want to have wheat-coloured skin. I bet thousands of brown-skinned girls in Southall fell off the sofa laughing when she did that.

Bollywood is no picnic; anyone who makes 51 Bollywood movies in 13 years has to be tough. Shilpa has a black belt in karate. She is just the girl to raise the pit bull in a dizzy little drip like Danielle and keep her frothing at the mouth long enough for her nascent career as a sweet little Wag to disappear down the drain. When Shilpa is finished with Danielle even Teddy Sheringham will know what a small, dark heart beats within her fetching chest. This explains the slightly cannibal air of self-satisfaction that never abandons Shilpa. She knows what she is doing. She will shred the nerves of all the other women in that house until even Cleo pulls back her frozen lips and shows the fangs behind her witless Mona Lisa smile.

I can switch Shilpa off. The people in the house with her haven't got that option. The problem is that most of the housemates are too dim to convey what a pain in the ass Shilpa is without appearing to persecute her. So Danielle, beside herself with rage because Shilpa cooks with onions, calls her a dog. Jack Tweed calls her a front-bottom. The word was bleeped out, leading many viewers to speculate that she had been racially abused. That is not surprising. This is a racist country; to the vast majority of couch potatoes out there, Shilpa is a "Paki bird".

Jackiey's inability to pronounce Shilpa's name had less to do with failure to conceal her own racism than the fact that she has no idea how to spell anything. Shilpa is not allowed to write anything in the house, so she can't show them how the name is spelled, and even if she did, they would still flounder, just as she did when she pronounced Dirk as Duck.

It should be possible for both sides to make fun of each other's accents, without pushing the racism button. Shilpa has tried, a weeny bit, but her only real subject is herself. The cockney glottal stop means that the likes of Jade Goody are incapable of pronouncing an L before a P. They have never seen a Hindi movie and never heard of Shilpa Shetty, or even Sharukh Khan, and they probably don't have any Indian friends. In that, they are like most of the Caucasians who live in this country. Separation breeds division, as we are always told when the subject is religious schools in Ulster, but there is almost no inter-penetration of English and Indian cultures in Britain. Even people who go out once a week for "an Indian" don't realise and don't care that they are almost certain to be in a Sylheti restaurant. (Sylhet is part of Bangladesh.)

Shilpa likes to be seen cooking. She looks utterly virtuous while she is doing it, she doesn't have to try to converse with the women in the house, she gets to eat food she likes, spice it any way she chooses and time it to please herself. It is a perfect ploy to drive everyone else crazy. Jermaine and Dirk are wise to her little game and quite amused to see how the cat-fights are developing. Jo, Jade and Danielle are miles behind the eight-ball; only Jack is further out of it.

Endemol must be over the moon because racism has raised its ugly head. Every time someone sends in a complaint to Ofcom about racism in the Big Brother house, the profile of the show is raised and Shilpa earns a bit more of her huge fee. But it's a funny old world, to be sure. You can call her a "dog". Sexism is fine. What you mustn't do is call her a "Paki". As if to be Pakistani was to be worse than being a dog. Our very tenderness on this issue is the flip side of racism, and still part of the same coin. If you call me an Aussie you don't insult me because Aussieness is OK. Pakiness is evidently not OK.

The brouhaha about racism in the Big Brother house is a smoke screen that conceals what is really vicious and corrupting about CBB. Plain, everyday, common or garden bullying supplies the motive force for everything that happens in the Big Brother house. Big Brother disorients the housemates and disrupts their perceptions so that they become literally unbalanced. They have nothing to gain but their fee for enduring this destructive process, and so far three housemates have decided that if they remained in the house they stood to lose more than they had to gain. Although their behaviour seemed irrational at the time, because they were forced "greatly to find quarrel in a straw", it was actually supremely rational. So far none of the women has been that smart. Except for Shilpa. Shilpa's enjoying herself. Ladbroke's are quoting her 10/3 favourite.

It was a very ugly piece of TV

As soon as Shilpa Shetty arrived, announcing that she hadn't really seen the show, I knew there would be trouble. She is a huge star, a much bigger deal than any of the other contestants. It is as if Cameron Diaz or Scarlett Johansson were in there. The others, for the most part, showed their almost total ignorance of and lack of curiosity about India, which she has dealt with more politely than I would have. She is recognisably middle-class Indian in her good manners and her forthrightness, as well as her occasional nerdiness and her unconscious pomposity.

Actually, she reminds me slightly of one of my cousins. When Ken Russell was cold at night, she put an extra coverlet over him, just as any well-brought-up young person would do for an elder who was in discomfort. In India, the audience would have been wiping away a tear; Jackiey Goody abused her, thinking Shilpa was sucking up. That's the cultural difference in a nutshell. Jackiey's refusal to learn her name was straightforwardly racist - every British Asian will have had that conversation at least once, complete with self-righteous complaints about the "difficulty" of the task. It was a very ugly piece of TV and I'm glad people have felt uncomfortable enough to complain. Likewise about the accent-mimicking. But then, we're only a generation from when It Ain't Half Hot Mum was family entertainment. This is what Big Brother is for. It holds a mirror up to national attitudes. If we don't like what we see, we ought to change.

Hari Kunzru
  • Options
    That Chantelle was a normal lass, bit of a div and won the last cleb BB but I can handle her having her five minutes of fame because she's not an obnoxious foul mouthed slag like Jade Goody. How the fook the British publis has made her a millionaire is beyond me.
  • Options
    Agree stone,that is one horrible example of a female,dirty mouthed,ignoranrt slapper.
  • Options
    As a friend said elsewhere

Do we want to make Jade Goody a more money? How many more Jade Goodys do we want to make millionaires? How much longer will we tolerate the lionisation of the talentless? How much longer will we mistake licence for liberty? This programme shows what happens to your nation's culture when nothing matters any more.

It's yob culture on trial. The nation has a chance to decide what kind of culture we want to promote and project. This is epochal.
  • Options
    I haven't watched a minute of this crap, but I'm not surprised that pondlife like the Goody clan have caused grief.

Unfortunately, we seem to breed far too many of these fuckwits in this country - Cull the lot, imho.
  • Options
    and anyone want to tell me that Danielle wasn't being racist?
  • Options
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wake me when this nightmare thread is over.
  • Options
    FFS Don't we have more important issues going on at the moment.This is Utter crap,I Don't watch it,so this is so called tv,more like dumbing down.Celebrity jade who,not even celebritys just people we can sometimes relate to because they are shoved in front of the tabloids because the media demand it, Really.Does she have any children,if not will she have any,if so wait for another subclass in 10/15 years time.Shame we can't put more energy into demanding better tv, is she a fake trouble maker or does she just need an asbo.Big Brother is ...... anyone no where can i buy an effigie of jade? I feel the cold weather coming on
    I'll get my crombie.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]she is real? yeh right, god help us if thats who girls of her age base themselves on. she is awful. she was awful on her first big brother but she made good, and good on her i suppose but hopefuly after showing herself for what she is, her career will whistle down the crapper along with the chicken and thats the last we see of her.

Unfortunately Heat magazine and all that other shit magazines will keep on featuring her and all the other divs will keep on buying just so they can read about her... 25th most influential person? god help us.

Curb_It's bang on the money about the stupid cow from Bermondsey. Anyhow...

- I'm the last person to defend politicians, but Messrs Blair, Brown and Cameron were asked questions and they answered them very carefully indeed. And neither of them claimed to watch the programme. Fair play to them. (And if you're Gordon Brown, glad-handing it in India, making friends for when you get the top job for however long it is, of course you're going to say something. Because you would if you were in his shoes.)

- It's worth remembering a lot of the Indian press makes Heat magazine look like the Economist, so if one of their own is messed with, they'll react. It was also handy that load of serious looking fellas in Shilpa's home town managed to find a photographer and get an effigy out... wasn't "India erupts", though. Oh, and the effigy wasn't of Jade. Sadly.

- Was what was said racist? It clearly struck a nerve with plenty of Asian viewers. Others say it's bullying like you'd see in all-girls' schools. Which all probably reflects how sheltered and stupid the participants in the programme are. It's certainly gruesome, and many will find it offensive just to see people pick on someone like that, racial motive or not. I reckon Jade and company know no better.

- Will Channel 4 get fined? Probably not. Otherwise they'd have pulled the show by now. Drill the idea of Big Brother back to its concept, and you're watching people, warts and all. Unpleasantness, whether it comes from wannabes (regular BB) or Z-list wastes of space (Celeb BB) is part of the package. But if you've got 20,000 people complaining - in a day and age where a large proportion cannot be bothered to get off their arses to vote, Ofcom is probably pleased that 20,000 people know it exists.

- Unfortunately, Shilpa will probably return to India and her Bollywood life, while Jade and the other sad cows will continue to be worshipped by Heat, which will continue to be bought by thickos who know no better or think they're better than her by buying a magazine to sneer at her. And the next Celebrity Big Brother will feature Hollyoaks Woman that Marcus Bent used to go out with, and the whole thing will go around again.
  • Options
    Blimey, how can Big Brother get the longest thread of the year.

For what its worth I think Jade and her mum are racist but Danielle, Jo and that absolute brainless twat Jack arent, they are just playing up to Jade, who is arguably one of the worst examples of human life there has ever been.

The best bit to come out of all of this is that the fat Bermondsey slag was actually quite liked by a few people in this country and will (hopefully) now be detested as much as she should be.

She tried to play a game when she went in by being all nice but even though she has played the BB game before she is still too stupid to realise that her actions will get her voted out, which is good as she is the only one in there who really wants to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Blimey, how can Big Brother get the longest thread of the year.
    because of me...its all because of me

*evil laugh*
  • Options
    One of my daughters tells me Jade used to go out with Junior Agogo.

That would suggest to me that she is just nasty and unpleasant rather than deliberately racist as the Asian former exec of Channel 4 said.

I don't watch it though so don't really know one way or t'other.
  • Options
    her dad is Caribbean as well!
  • Options
    you can call her every name under the sun, and 99% of them would be right, but racist i don't think for is one of them. Her father was black and she is half caste herself to start with.

Ignorant, uneducated, stupid seem most apt. Not fully her fault though, you've only got to see her mother, a lesbian pickpocket, to see just what sort of upbringing and guidance she was given.

Part of me feels sorry for her, part of me despises the fact there are a lot of people similar to her and echoes a lot of 21st century UK, part of me despises the fact magazines etc have funded her living, and part despises the red tops for having built her up, taking such revilry in knocking her down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you can call her every name under the sun, and 99% of them would be right, but racist i don't think for is one of them. Her father was black and she is half caste herself to start with.

Is that the same as saying, "I'm not a racist, some of my friends are black"?

You don't have to call someone a P*** or N***** to be a racist.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you can call her every name under the sun, and 99% of them would be right, but racist i don't think for is one of them. Her father was black and she is half caste herself to start with.

Is that the same as saying, "I'm not a racist, some of my friends are black"?

You don't have to call someone a P*** or N***** to be a racist.

So what is racism then?

I always thought that it was discriminating against or abusing somebody because of or about their race.

If I, as a white bloke, get mugged by black blokes, are they being racist towards me? Presumably the answer would be no because robbery is the motivation not my colour.

Equally if Jade is abusive to the Indian girl about house matters does that make her racist?
  • Options
    but if you robbed a black bloke Len then i bet it would be considered a racist attack...
  • Options
    Yes it would be. But a racist attack and and a racially motivated attack are two very different things. The later of course being a major issue in that you attcked the person because of their race. The first I couldn't give a toss about to be honest. The person just so happened to be of a different race, so what?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Len/ others - put yourself in this position. Say you were born in this country, yet grew up being taunted because you were different, being told that you smelled because you had a different colour skin, having kids wary of touching food you'd been near, being told to go back to your slums, all that old crap.

Then, a few years later, you turn on the TV, and you see grown women indulging in that crap and it's presented as prime-time entertainment. It'd probably touch a raw nerve. Racism? Haven't seen enough of it, but I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that way. It's certainly bullying, and there's certainly a cultural difference between three sheltered Englishwomen in their own country and one sheltered Indian woman away from hers. Does it add up to racism? It doesn't matter, it's still wrong.

Anyhow, Carphone Warehouse has just suspended its sponsorship of the programme.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    Anyhow, Carphone Warehouse has just suspended its sponsorship of the programme.

pathetic. its a 'reality' tv programme after 9pm. what are they expecting ?

if you are looking for racism, then you could of found instances in every single BB series. If you are looking for bullying, you would of seen Jodie Marsh get worse treatment last year. But she is a slag, so everyone thought that was funny....