Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Effigies of Jade being burnt in India

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Incidentally, I remember as a small kid being told (jokingly, probably) by my parents not to lick spilt drink off the top of a Coke can because "a black man might have touched it". So I can see where this shit comes from.

Forget the racism issue for a second - although she clearly wouldn't get this treatment if she was a white lass from Bermondsey or Romford - this is about a matter of basic respect for a fellow human being.

(Erm, Jade's perfume has been pulled by The Perfume Shop...)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

if you are looking for racism, then you could of found instances in every single BB series. If you are looking for bullying, you would of seen Jodie Marsh get worse treatment last year. But she is a slag, so everyone thought that was funny....

It still doesn't make it right, the comments about her race, incline people to think it's racist, she thinks the bullying is caused by her race.

Racially motivated bullying, and did what Danielle say last night 'You should go home' count as racism in this or is she forgiven as well cause she lived in a boring white suburb and never got to know anyone indian other then the bloke who delievered the curry on a Friday night?
  • Options
    you can spin it however way you want, all it shows to me is how thick and ignorant some people are nowadays, and how high those with a political agenda can jump on a horse.

the show highlights some of the crap parts of our society, and our wonderful media and those with a political agenda get free licence to jump all over it.
  • Options
    So you're saying a load of Asian kids that are offended by this have got a "political agenda"?
  • Options
    If I had bullied Asian kids at my school in the same way as Jade and the witches, I would have been out on my ear and booted out for Racially motivated bullying, but then in a school in Woolwich, you wouldn't do it as you have a better apprication of the asian community as your brought in a multi cultural areas in Greenwich.
  • Options
    Come on gang, enough of this.....Let's all swing our pants to Agadoo!
  • Options
    no, i'm saying its magnified by the media and those with a political agenda. And of the 30,000 complaints, it would not suprise if at least half don't even watch the show.

I don't really see anything that anyone can be offended by as such, particularly Asians infact because if you want to look deep into it, the most important point it is doing is highlighting ignorance in a very real way, and showing just how pathetic it is. It will work better long-term than any pro-Asian campaign because a lot of people will relate to it and them 3 and think 'i don't want to be like that'.

The amount of white viewers that will be appalled by their behaviour will be far, far greater than those who will be impressed by it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]If I had bullied Asian kids at my school in the same way as Jade and the witches, I would have been out on my ear and booted out for Racially motivated bullying, but then in a school in Woolwich, you wouldn't do it as you have a better apprication of the asian community as your brought in a multi cultural areas in Greenwich.

I think you need to wake up a bit mate if you think nothing goes on racially in the schools of greenwich
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]So you're saying a load of Asian kids that are offended by this have got a "political agenda"?

I'm not saying it has happened in this case but there have previously been attempts to manipulate phone in programmes for political purposes. It is therefore possible that this could be an orchestrated campaign to some extent and others have leapt on the bandwagon.

Whether intentionally or not it has certainly diverted attention away from the programme the other day about Muslim extremists. Another programme I didn't see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite] but then in a school in Woolwich, you wouldn't do it as you have a better apprication of the asian community as your brought in a multi cultural areas in Greenwich.

strongly disagree with that mate. If that's what you got out of it then fantastic, but i don't think that's the vast majority view and its a grave shame it wasn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]If I had bullied Asian kids at my school in the same way as Jade and the witches, I would have been out on my ear and booted out for Racially motivated bullying, but then in a school in Woolwich, you wouldn't do it as you have a better apprication of the asian community as your brought in a multi cultural areas in Greenwich.

I think you need to wake up a bit mate if you think nothing goes on racially in the schools of greenwich

I'm fully aware it kicks off in schools in Greenwich all the time, prehaps I went to a school with a decent attitude to it, unlike places like Crown Woods and Kidbrooke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]but then in a school in Woolwich, you wouldn't do it as you have a better apprication of the asian community as your brought in a multi cultural areas in Greenwich.

strongly disagree with that mate. If that's what you got out of it then fantastic, but i don't think that's the vast majority view and its a grave shame it wasn't.

Dunno, but then I don't what it's like to live in an area which is 95% white, so that's how I see it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

I'm fully aware it kicks off in schools in Greenwich all the time, prehaps I went to a school with a decent attitude to it, unlike places like Crown Woods and Kidbrooke.

My wife went to crown woods and she's never racially bullied anyone

What perfect school did you go to ?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Woolwich Poly, the head at the time was pretty ruthless about it, think it's gone to pot since, which is a shame.

BTW, did I say Crown Woods students were racists? Nope, has a problem with racism in the school with a section of the kids, yep
  • Options
    AFKA - what "political agenda" are you on about?
  • Options
    you can spin it however way you want, all it shows to me is how thick and ignorant some people are nowadays, and how high those with a political agenda can jump on a horse.

the show highlights some of the crap parts of our society, and our wonderful media and those with a political agenda get free licence to jump all over it.

These people have always been around, just that reality TV and the need to be aggressive and controversial (to get the ratings) has given these people a platform.
  • Options
    by political agenda, i mean those that seem to make a living out of talking either solely about race issues, or jumping on any furore in the public eye.

have i said something wrong or offensive, because the point seems to be getting laboured ?
  • Options
    I shouldn't have said Greenwich by the way, as there is a massive difference between Woolwich and say Eltham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]by political agenda, i mean those that seem to make a living out of talking either solely about race issues, or jumping on any furore in the public eye.

have i said something wrong or offensive, because the point seems to be getting laboured ?

Who's making money out of this particular row, then? Who's got ANYTHING to gain?
  • Options
    Endemol.

You've picked out one bit from all that i have said, yet in my other posts i've widely codemned the producers, the 3 instigators, and the media in general.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But you said there were people making money out of "talking either solely about race issues, or jumping on any furore in the public eye". Endemol aren't doing that.
  • Options
    we'll let's spell it out then.

In my opinion, there are a number of individuals, some of them celebrities, who will happily get involved when incidents 'like this' happen, and make good money from appearances on chat shows, radio shows, writing articles for the papers, magazines etc. A collegue's best mate is editor of an Asian magazine and is doing very well with appearances here there and everywhere. Other people are also quick to get their opinions into the press, despite probably not knowing exactly what is being said or played out in the programme.

Do i see that as a major player in all this ? No, not in the slightest, which is why it has played such little prominence in the comments i've made on this thread, and why it has suprised me you have made a repeated point of trying to highlight it.
  • Options
    I would love to see Goody sue the likes of Ken Livingston etc... as she has not said anything racist.
  • Options
    Because the phrase "political agenda" keeps popping up.

Of course there's a media circus around this, there always is every time there's a controversy in this programme and the media has space to fill. But apart from the odd £50 fee to appear on TV/radio shows, nobody's making any serious money out of this other than the programme-makers. I really don't see why it's an issue here.
  • Options
    reading this thread,and all i see is blah blah blah,yadda yadda yadda
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you can spin it however way you want, all it shows to me is how thick and ignorant some people are nowadays, and how high those with a political agenda can jump on a horse.

Spot on
  • Options
    Everyone lost me on this one as soon as the word 'Political' was mentioned : -)