Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Beckham - change

Comments

• Options
    Jayajosh - I take your point. But I still believe there is no need for anyone to lay into Beckham, he got his in '98.
    He has grown and matured into a fine man and is now a credit to his profession. I honestly do not believe that he is promoting his brand and that his intentions are entirely honourable and lets face it our troops need all the support they can get!!
  • Options
    Decent bloke with a true passion for his country. And how well are he and Posh bringing up their kids considering the media spotlight? If people like him influence the masses as much as is claimed, then Britain will be a better place if a few "parents" start to copy the Beckhams attitude to the responsibilities of parenthood.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Jayajosh - I take your point. But I still believe there is no need for anyone to lay into Beckham, he got his in '98.
    He has grown and matured into a fine man and is now a credit to his profession. I honestly do not believe that he is promoting his brand and that his intentions are entirely honourable and lets face it our troops need all the support they can get!!

I agree. Let's not forget that he sets a great example to young aspiring kids which cannot be knocked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Decent bloke with a true passion for his country. And how well are he and Posh bringing up their kids considering the media spotlight? If people like him influence the masses as much as is claimed, then Britain will be a better place if a few "parents" start to copy the Beckhams attitude to the responsibilities of parenthood.

Agree with that. From where I'm sitting he's never tried to pretend he's something he's not and seems pretty down to earth - which is amazing when you consider the circus that surrounds him.

I like the bloke.
  • Options
    I don't think Beckham has changed. To me, he's always been a genuinely decent and humble man. Perhaps in a time when the England set up is full of arrogant and egotistical morons, people are coming to really appreciate Beckham for the great ambassador he is for football in general, not just England.
  • Options
    Add another tick to the great bloke camp.

The telling thing for me was the move to america occured at the time he was being outed from the england team, having already lost the captaincy. His career was on the natural take the final big bucks slide, and he had the perfect opportunity to retire from international football, like so many now.

But he didn't. The ex captain and top dog was prepared to repeatedly fly halfway round the world to train and be a bench warmer, because he still the belief he could win his place back, and the desire to keep representing his country.

That told me a lot about his character, and the fact that despite being one of the most famous and richest young people in the world, he is still a reasonably grounded, hard working family man.

As role models go, I think he is a very good one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Add another tick to the great bloke camp.

The telling thing for me was the move to america occured at the time he was being outed from the england team, having already lost the captaincy. His career was on the natural take the final big bucks slide, and he had the perfect opportunity to retire from international football, like so many now.

But he didn't. The ex captain and top dog was prepared to repeatedly fly halfway round the world to train and be a bench warmer, because he still the belief he could win his place back, and the desire to keep representing his country.

That told me a lot about his character, and the fact that despite being one of the most famous and richest young people in the world, he is still a reasonably grounded, hard working family man.

As role models go, I think he is a very good one.

i fooking love him and have done even when he got sent off against the argies..

the only truely world class footballer of his generation
  • Options
    Couldn't have put it any better than Dan, so I won't try.
  • Options
    Gorgeous
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Gorgeous

Why thank you very much ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like the fella, came across really well last night.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since a couple of thousand of us gave him dogs abuse up at Old Trafford early in the 98/99 season.
  • Options
    Sexy.
  • Options
    Met him outside Marriott Hotel in 2001 shortly before Man Utd beat us 2-0 at the Valley. He was such as nice guy and signed everyones autograph book unlike many of the other Man Utd players. Shortly after that i read an interview he done and he said about how he would feel if one of his idols turned down an autograph, so he makes sure that if he can sign all autographs that people want from him then he would.

Legend and as others as said...Perfect Role Model.
  • Options
    He took a lot of shit, quite unfairly, early on in his career. I'm glad people are now recognising him as a decent bloke.
  • Options
    Seemed to me a decent type, and his heart seemed in the right place, and let's admit it there are not too many English world famous footballers currently playing that have the ability to influence people like Becks, so it is good that he is going to help and support the families of troops who have been killed or injured in this dreadful war!, and is using his reputation in a positive way. I was impressed with Clarence Seedorf and his work shown on the bbc for education in South Africa, good to see footballers doing something positive to help others.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fine footballer to say the least, won more than most will dream of. Fought for his England place when others said he was finished. (as captain of his country he carried his self a little better than the 3 after him) Will not retire from international football . Comes across as a good father and family man. He gives up his spare time for others.
    To me thats as good as he or anyone else could hope to be.
  • Options
    So CL love David Beckham well for the most part anyway.
  • Options
    Ive decided he's god in human form
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]So CL love David Beckham well for the most part anyway.

Not me, I often watch Wossie but didn't last night when I heard Beckham was on. He may be a decent (not great) footballer and it's great if he's doing his bit for charity and / or the troops but personally I've no interest in listening to him. I'm more concerned that he hasn't retired from the England scene.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite] I'm more concerned that he hasn't retired from the England scene.
    You're going to have a long wait. Last night he said he said he'd never retire from England...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]I'm more concerned that he hasn't retired from the England scene.
    You're going to have a long wait. Last night he said he said he'd never retire from England...

Jeez - still coming on as a sub when he's 60. Poor old Shilts, his record will be smashed.
  • Options
    Hasn't retired... is that a joke?

If all the rest of the players that wore our shirt did so with such determination, passion, effort and gusto then we might actually get somewhere.
  • Options
    Rebecca Loos hasn't been mentioned here?

He's doing well for himself but I would not hold him up as a "great" role model.
  • Options
    david beckham-if you put a gun to my head and said you gotta sleep with one man - i would;-)
  • Options
    After THAT performance against Greece I didn't realise that we needed any confirmation of what a top man he is.

There has been no change.
  • Options
    There is more to a man than just being good at his job, but I take your point Jimmy
    What he has increasingly proven is that there is so much more to his game, and that is what I am most impressed by.
  • Options
    For me he's right up there with all my football heroes - Keegan, Brooking, Robson and Lineker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]david beckham-if you put a gun to my head and said you gotta sleep with one man - i would;-)

I'M TELLING ALAN YOU SAID THAT!!!
  • Options
    Emile Heskey has recently anoounced his retirement from international football.

David Beckham says he will always be available if his country calls.

Obviously it's all only words, but which of these would you want next to you in the trenches (ignoring the fact that Heskey is 9ft 2, 25 stone, black and from Leicester - so clearly more of a bullet magnet for most of your average "enemy" of the UK in the past 50 or 60 years!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]red zed . I think your a bit of a wanker. Every thing you say is a wind up. But you live in sunderland so may be thats your way of life. Anyway beckham tonight was great. He made me cry. An all he did was go an chat to our troops but he made our troops day. God bless all.
    I love it when you talk dirty...

The Beckham marmite bit has been done to death on here already, many times, not much more to add really, except...

Beckham is a narcissist, an attention seeker, he lives in a cocooned make believe world where he plays the knighted hero galloping around the world on his super white charger coming to the planet's rescue...

So he went to the war front, and...? Gracie Fields went to front, dozens of times, don't see her on Wossy banging on about it...

Do we really need the likes of Beckham to tell how how dangerous war is, how brave our troops are, we've got women out there actually in the front line, that's brave for you, my next door neighbour's 19 year old son is in Afghanistan, his mother's a nervous fcking wreck...

The casualties are mounting daily, many already from Sunderland, do you seriously believe the troops in Afghanistan sleep happier in now that Beckham has been out to visit them, do me a favour...

One carefully orchestrated TV show doesn't make Beckham great, it just about puts him on a par with Side Show Bob...

Cry for the troops, not that clown...