Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Beckham - change

13»

Comments

• Options
    As I read your post RedZed the Jonatham Woss repeat show is on and DB just said the word "helmets" as I finished reading and thought "helmet".

Coincidence? You tell me.

I thought Gracie Fields was dead and therefore couldn't get out to Afghanistan, let alone on Wossy's show - but if you're telling me she's still alive then I agree that she should be out there showing a bit of leg to the troops.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]As I read your post RedZed the Jonatham Woss repeat show is on and DB just said the word "helmets" as I finished reading and thought "helmet".

Coincidence? You tell me.

I thought Gracie Fields was dead and therefore couldn't get out to Afghanistan, let alone on Wossy's show - but if you're telling me she's still alive then I agree that she should be out there showing a bit of leg to the troops.
    Not really a coincidence, just Beckham talking a load of helmets...

And Gracie is dead, least I hope she is, they buried her years ago...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bizarre culture in this country where a significant amount of people just love to irrationally hate people. I watched a documentary on Usain Bolt yesterday - the scenes in Jamaica when he won the gold medal were just outrageous. Would that happen in this country? Probably not. The papers wouldn't take long to start snooping around for some dirt on the bloke. Especially someone of Bolt's stature.

To people like RedZed, suffering classic english cynicism, someone like Beckham can't win. If he does no charity then he's a right greedy twat. And if he does do charity work, the response is either "Is that it?" or "attention seeking cnut. do me a favour. as if i need david beckham to tell me about x struggles".

It's lose-lose for Beckham. Personally I'm pleased he chooses to do his bit. Disliking him for it is just completely irrational.
  • Options
    maybe its just me but the clip they showed before hes interveiw with wossy was just pure class goals...if i was a british soldier and watched that interveiw it would make me a very proud man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]maybe its just me but the clip they showed before hes interveiw with wossy was just pure class goals...if i was a british soldier and watched that interveiw it would make me a very proud man.

I sort of understand what your saying but if you was a british soilder and hadn't seen that interview would you be any less of a proud man?
  • Options
    I wish the rumours of Les Reed signing Beckham in the Jan transfer window had come true! DAMN U PARDEW!
  • Options
    Never been much of a Beckham fan but I saw his interview and for starters he does seem to be able to talk properly now and not whisper light a frightened child. Could even hear a bit of a Leyton accent coming through as well which I ain't heard much of before!

Anyway, his bit about the troops is probably one of the most genuine and heartfelt tributes/appeals I have heard, it seemed to matter to him and he seemed to really want to raise awareness and believe in them...not many people in his position have come across like he did. Come away with a changed view of the bloke and he has my respect, fair play to the fella.
  • Options
    With you on that Sparrows.
    He does do an awful lot that is unsung.
    For example his foundation built a series of (dirt) football pitches in the shanty town in NE Lima, Peru.
    He even sent his wife over to the opening when he couldnt make it due to his recall.
    His work for th e NSPCC and UNICEF is largely publicity free and seems to come from the heart .
  • Options
    No strong views either way re Beckham.

He seems one of the more personable England players but when you are comparing him with the likes of John Terry and Ashley Cole frankly that doesn't mean much!

I didn't see the Ross interview so cannot comment on that.

One general observation or thought though:

The assumption seems to be that Beckham has done the Afghan stuff and other good works to boost his image. Is it not possible that the opposite is the case and charities are highlighting their links with him to boost their own profiles?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?