Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New CAFC website - Help needed

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
Hi Everyone

I come on here quiet a bit but never really post but was after some help. I am in the process or releasing a new Charlton website at http://www.wix.com/Davidcafc/Charlton-Till-I-Die

First of all im after some honest opinions on what you like, dislike, prefer to change or would like to add.

Secondly I after a few contributors who would like to help me make this an interactive blog site. I am after a few people to give me there weekly views on Charlton Athletic - this can be anything from views on the match to how you are feeling about your favorite SE7 club. If anyone would like to help then let me know on here or Davidctid@hotmail.com

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Options
    I dont mean this to sound rude, but what exactly is the point?

What is your site going to offer that is going to get people who currently only use this site/ the official site/ and maybe newsnow to find out all they need to know about charlton?
  • Options
    Gives fans a chance to be more interactive. I agree there is no point having a news site buy the idea will be to hopefully allow fans to express more opinions similar to this forum, and then have the ability to read and contribute on the go
  • Options
    But isnt that exactly what Charlton Life does? It allows fans to express their opinions, plus has news articles (albeit not as often these days) plus can be accessed on the fly from any phone that has internet access.

I personally dont even bother with the OS or newsnow these days because I know I can get everything I want right here. If we've signed someone it'll be here with seconds of hitting the OS. Any news is available to me here, plus loads of other stuff that interests me but isnt neccesarily relevant to CAFC, such as music threads etc etc

It seems to me that what you'll be doing is either attempting to drive traffic away from here by attempting to better what CL already has, or you have to create something new fresh and original that no'one else is currently offering. I dont see that you are doing that at all, and wouldnt waste my time.
  • Options
    So you like it then Greg?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If it something you enjoy doing then go for it.

It will be very hard to get other people to write articles or match reports, even Charlton Life struggles to get more than a few people to write articles.

So be prepared to carry the weight yourself especially when starting off.

Like Blackheath said the hard part will be differentiating your site from the others that exist.

If you can find a new or better angle then it could work but if it is just news, match reports and a forum then people will come here or go to Newsnow and the OS first.

Maybe a quirky take on games which isn't just "Smith crossed and Jones scores" but focuses on what songs were sung, what people were wearing, I don't know what, just be different.

Good luck
  • Options
    Actually David here's a tip.

Get a bit of paper and write down all the things that you could write about Charlton that AREN'T either news, match reports or a forum.

Come up with a list and that is your site.
  • Options
    just offer a free badge when people register with your site.
  • Options
    Anyone coming to the CTID drinkup on August 5th?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]So you like it then Greg?

The guy asked for honest opinions mate. Just like I tell you when I see you that you're dressed like a fat lumberjack, I'll tell him what I think!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]just offer a free badge when people register with your site.

No need.

Just promise a badge and then never deliver.

: - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]So you like it then Greg?

The guy asked for honest opinions mate. Just like I tell you when I see you that you're dressed like a fat lumberjack, I'll tell him what I think!

Says you in your paint on Charlton shirt?
  • Options
    Ha ha ha brilliant David cafc unless you have something awesome you will get nowhere!
  • Options
    touche, I've lost a few more pounds, you can almost see the creases now. Still it saves me ever needing to iron it.
  • Options
    Will you allow swear words? If so which one's?
  • Options
    And the sponsor won't peel
  • Options
    Reiterate what Henry said ...... if it's something you really want to do, go for it.
    You never know how things may develop or what may come of it!

Maybe a few 'interviews' with other fans and get their own personal perspective, memories, favourite match, etc?
    Or take a leaf out of Choice's book - not doing videos or anything, but perhaps a regular article on how the day at each away trip unfolded, anything standout, humourous, photos of the day, etc?

People like reading about themselves!

Maybe you could offer a swap/exchange facility where people could post CAFC items/programmes/memorabilia that they would like to sell/swap or want....?

Once you've got something over and above general match reports, and it appeals to people - you may well find you get enough visits to make the whole thing worthwhile.

But most of all - follow your passion. It's the only real way to go!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Hi guys!

Thanks for all your advice. I completely agree that if it isn't special its going to be a waste of time. Its not the first Charlton site that I have run and its certainly something I enjoy and it can certainly help the not-so die hard fans who don't know much about Charlton and lets me communicate with away fans to.

The aim certainly isn't to be a news site - if you look at all the Charlton sites available, you can see none of them are original. They all link news articles to other sites. The purpose of the main page is a general whats going on section. I guess the people I am aiming at are those who (a) want to know about Charlton and can use the site as a reference and (b) in the long run I hope to have 3-4 articles a week with opinions, views and comments. This way you can link thoughts to this forum, and the long term plan is to be smart phone optimized so you can have an app for Android and iPhone so you can read them on the move.

Thanks for all the input!

Dave
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Actually David here's a tip.

Get a bit of paper and write down all the things that you could write about Charlton that AREN'T either news, match reports or a forum.

Come up with a list and that is your site.[/quote]

The Guardian (I think) used to do match reprots in an animated stick man format,that was quite amusing, different and brought traffic to the site (well me),so something different and novel the route
  • Options
    Have to say, regardless of originality of material and so on, it's a really nice looking website mate.

Find something decent to put on it and you'll be on to a winner.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a descent IPhone App. One that gives you push notices as soon as there is any news. Charge 59p and you might do well . Apart from that the website is on a hiding to nothing( sorry ) unless you can come up with something unique . good luck anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks again for the comment, I will do my best to make it an interesting read, hopefully will get plenty of input from myself and other fans and try and encourage fans to let me know there away experiences and life in league one.

Thanks for the input

Dave
  • Options
    Sinks and cliques, mate, that's what you need, sinks and cliques...

Actually you might be better off with a good Blog, I know they've been done to death but it's a good way to put your personality on something you are really passionate about, if it takes off you can develop a forum from there...

I had one, it was very popular, especially in China, got bored after a while though but fun whilst it lasted....
  • Options
    Have a look around other web sites and blogs, especially those not about football.

There's bound to be loads of ideas and originality so that you could, erm ...... 'borrow' the concept and adapt to a unique Charlton interest angle.

Make it a little quirky, fun and alternative, without it being imbecile.

Trawl other fan sites and blogs to see if there's any ideas you could pinch. I remember a Fulham fan site once doing analysis of a game by spoof tactical diagrams of play and cartoons - IMO a novel way to get key points of a match across.

If you can't draw, everybody knows somebody who can.

On a purely functional note, a major part will be ensuring you get plenty of visits.
    Try to get regular features going that are interactive ..... and remember, people love to read about themselves.

And if there is stuff there that appeals to people, then you're on your way!
  • Options
    The design of the site looks great mate
  • Options
    I like the sound of the app, in terms of website content I think having something a bit different is the way to go, match reports & actual match day commented could be really good. Also pictures of away days could get a bit of interest from punters.

Whisper me if you want any other advice.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys - You are right about "other" websites which have a similar brand but are done in different ways. I will keep an eye out for other sites to get some "ideas" to help my site out. Already added a simple article from a Bournemouth fansite to get another opinion. I will try to expand these articles as well as writing my own and hopefully asking some of you for a few brief opinions on certain issues to help make this board more active and help me add some content.
  • Options
    I'd register a domain, mate-www.charltontilidie.co.uk. Only cost you a tenner a year and improve your Google ranking. Goto www.easyspace.com.
  • Options
    Thanks! Was wondering about the domain. Ctid.co.uk is taken but would cafctid.co.uk be better?
  • Options
    Hey David - looks like a good website - how about putting the Oak down on the pub guide :-)
  • Options
    David-I agree with what you said regarding the variety/originality of various Charlton sites, why not have a go and put your own slant on things it could be an interesting read (and like Life and various other Cafc blogs could be essential reading) the site looks pretty decent thus far and I will watch with interest. Good luck to you mate.