Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tamer Tuna

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
Anyone think he could step up as our 4th striker this season?

Right now he's our 2nd, with only Akpo signed. But hopefully we'll sign Bauza and A N Other. I reckon PP would want 2 A N Others but we might have to give Tuna a chance.

From what I've seen he's got a decent touch, vision and passing ability but I've seen his finishing criticised and his strength on the ball. To be fair he has already scored for the senior side and scored twice this pre-season. I haven't seen any of those games though so I'm interested to hear if people think he should get more playing time this season, or if he's not ready.

Comments

• Options
    I have to admit when he first came on the scene he looked to have good movement for a guy of his age. Looks like he likes to run onto the ball rather than with it. With a bit of a run he might improve, but he needs to keep playing.

The goal he scored in the cup last year was a good, but time will tell. Although he didn't exactly set Welling alight on loan with his goalscoring. However i think there is no harm in trying him out as long as he doesn't only have 10 minutes here and there.

if we don't bring in anyone else we may not have a choice anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced by him just yet, but there is something there. I can see him being on the bench a lot more often, unless we manage to get 3 strikers in. If that happens he'll probably go on loan.

He has some good qualities, and he can't be judged on his loan spells. Think it was 3 clubs he went on loan to, but for probably different reasons none worked out and he didn't get a run of games (I know a problem with paperwork at Welling was mentioned before).

He's scored at u18 level, a couple this preseason and one in the JPT so he's done fairly well so far and is still only 18.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well as i posted before I am biased having known the lad since he was 5 and I am a family friend.

His loans last season according to him were a 'dissapointment', he could not even play at Welling due to an admin foul up!.

This month I saw him at Welling, and he looked off the pace and albeit playing centre forward ( not in my opinion his best position) he did score two consecutive goals.

I have seen him over the years at Charlton and he always has the ability to be in the right position to score, and can put them away. People say he is not a big lump/too small, nor was Kevin Phillips, Micheal Owen, Alan Shearer, teddy Sherringham, our own Sir Clive.......

He is not the finished article..... needs, games, needs to work on his upper body strength, but given we are in the third tier he has been around the first team a little while could play an important part in the team this year, along with a couple of others like Wagstaff. I am not suggesting he starts games, or plays the first 6 games!. But he should be on the bench, and brought on in certain games...... then people can have a moan because he has not scored in the first 5 minutes and blame me!. He is a confident lad that has scored regularly, but as i stated I am biased!
  • Options
    So what was the problem at Staines and the other place Ken?

Was it just an understandable case of a developing young lad struggling to adapt to the physical nature of non-league football or something more?

I'm not asking for details if personal issues involved!
  • Options
    there was no problem at staines. he played twice and got motm in non league paper and apperently set up the goals. but then he got recalled to the charlton first team squad because of burtons injury.after that went on loan to woking twice and drove up there for their home games and their manager told him you have come for nothing as chalton never put his registration papers in.what a great run club we have!!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds good Ken. Looking forward to seeing more of him this year.
  • Options
    Thanks Sidcupterry, that is why I said he was 'dissapointed'..... Really not his fault re the admin side..........I hope we get behind all the Charlton young players , and despite the fact that they are going to be 'raw' the crowd have a little patience...... and I am as impatient as the next supporter, Any young footballer needs time to adjust, and a large part of that is confidence.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Thanks Sidcupterry, that is why I said he was 'dissapointed'..... Really not his fault re the admin side..........I hope we get behind all the Charlton young players , and despite the fact that they are going to be 'raw' the crowd have a little patience...... and I am as impatient as the next supporter, Any young footballer needs time to adjust, and a large part of that is confidence.......
    Definitely, a year ago I doubt many would have predicted Wagstaff would have scored 4/5 goals and make an impact off the bench like he did. Easy to write them off after a few poor games, and they probably won't all make it, but some will need time to settle down if they get a run in the team.
  • Options
    Can't see him making any impact this year. He looks too light weight for me. Hopefully that will change as he gets a bit older as he certainly looks to have something about him.

I'd be looking to send him out on a season long loan.

Problem he has is that if he steps down to Conference or Conf South level he is going to get kicked from pillar to post and that isn't really going to aid his development.
  • Options
    Look forward to see how Tuna does if he gets a chance off the bench or in one of the cups. Hopefully we may last longer in the CC and JPT so the likes of Tuna, Perkins etc get a run out or two.

Unsure if Tuna will make an impact in the league this season but maybe he will do a Scott Parker, go on loan somewhere for a solid period (3months rather than 2 weeks) and come back a better player ready to challenge for at least a bench place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From what I've seen of him I think he is one of those that might be superb - or might continually promise and never actually deliver.

Against Barnet he looked excellent behind the striker and had touch, pace and a good eye for a pass. Conversely against Welling last week he looked sluggish, had a bad touch and showed a few flashes of being impetuous.

I appreciate he is young and this is exactly what we can expect and I do think there is a good footballer in there. He could well be one of those people that suddenly bursts onto the scene and fits in perfectly in the first team - the added pressure or sense of occasion might bring out the best in him
  • Options
    So far Tuna's done quite well in pre-season. He said last season he hopes to be in the squad a fair bit this year. I think he is a very capable player with plenty of attributes. Also, I saw him at thrope park yesterday with his girlfriend, bumped into him when I wasn't looking where I was going lool. Just from that he seems a nice guy as well, good luck to him and I hope he gets some proper game time too.
  • Options
    Shame him and Cem are Palace till they die ey, Ken from Bexley!
  • Options
    My take, and like Ken, I'm biased is that he is a very intelligent player who didn't look out of place in his cameo roles at the end of our last season in the Championship. He is really desperate to play and I believe that given a fair run in the team he will perform very well.

I think that too many of us have completely unrealistic expectations of our youngsters. Very few players are outstanding at 18. Those that are, often burn themselves out by their early 20's and are the "maybe men" - Michael Owen and Joe Cole spring to mind.

[cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]Shame him and Cem are Palace till they die ey, Ken from Bexley!

I know that this is absolutely not true for Tamer.
  • Options
    Knew Cem was, unsure about Tamer, his dad is a die hard 'gooner', but then so is my brother we all have our family 'skeletons' .......
    Are you gonna come out of the 'closet' though......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]My take, and like Ken, I'm biased is that he is a very intelligent player who didn't look out of place in his cameo roles at the end of our last season in the Championship. He is really desperate to play and I believe that given a fair run in the team he will perform very well.

I think that too many of us have completely unrealistic expectations of our youngsters. Very few players are outstanding at 18. Those that are, often burn themselves out by their early 20's and are the "maybe men" - Michael Owen and Joe Cole spring to mind.

[cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]Shame him and Cem are Palace till they die ey, Ken from Bexley!

Who does he support then, because his brother told me otherwise?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]My take, and like Ken, I'm biased is that he is a very intelligent player who didn't look out of place in his cameo roles at the end of our last season in the Championship. He is really desperate to play and I believe that given a fair run in the team he will perform very well.

Who does he support then, because his brother told me otherwise?
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]q

Just like me he followed his dad - luckily for me my dad supported Charlton. That said, he'd give all for the cause - as a local lad he is also aware of our pain, especially the Millw@nk game. Parky or someone must have absolutely let rip into the players after that because even the players out on loan from Charlton were left in no doubt how bad the loss was felt by supporters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]From what I've seen of him I think he is one of those that might be superb - or might continually promise and never actually deliver.
    So he may or may not make it cheers Swis!

;o)
  • Options
    I'm sure he said in one of the match programmes he supported Arsenal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I'm sure he said in one of the match programmes he supported Arsenal.

Yep - true. Deffo not Palarse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I go to the same university as Cem (Tamer's brother) and he told me that they both support Palace. Unless he was winding me up!
  • Options
    Well I go to the same university as Cem (Tamer's brother) and he told me that they both support Palace. Unless he was winding me up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Raver[/cite]Well I go to the same university as Cem (Tamer's brother) and he told me that they both support Palace. Unless he was winding me up!

Must be a wind up. I've known him through family for nearly 5 years and he was always Arsen@l.
  • Options
    these posts are pathetic, the kid has hardly worn first team boots and he is slated already, for gods sake get a life.....
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I know all about Cem Tuna Red-Raver........ I was his first manager in a football team, and used to take and collect him when he played at Gravesend and Northfleet academy with my lads,years later so I know the history, in fact the black fiat he drives is the car my sold him!....Anyway did not stop Tamer him banging in two goals against the gooners at the old Highbury a couple of years ago in the first half..... pissed the Arsenal crowd right off I can tell you!...
  • Options
    tuna is a gooner but loves charlton to bits.hes been at charlton since the age of eight. so charlton is in his blood not arsenal.anyway hope he gets his chance. no way would i start him in league games but is ready to be eased in from the bench and go from there.
  • Options
    Tuna could feature as a No3 or No4 striker in our pecking order. I could see him starting with an injury or two to our strikeforce. I say give him a run every now and then now and when his times comes to start a league game he should be better prepared. id love to see Tuna bag 8-12 goals this year from a No3 or No4 striker role.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]these posts are pathetic, the kid has hardly worn first team boots and he is slated already, for gods sake get a life.....

I said I thought it was a shame that Tamer and his brother supported Crystal Palace however Ken and JorgeCosta have now corrected me by informing us he supports Arsenal. My original post was light-hearted with a hint of sarcasm intended and I was clearly not "slating" him as you put it. I think Tamer is a promising young player and I couldnt care less who a player supports as long as he gives 100 per cent when he pulls on that red shirt! I have a life mate, and you shouldn't "slate" other members of this board for airing thier views. Roll on Barnet...
  • Options
    Tamer defiantly supports Arsenal I'm afraid guys, I'm quite a good friend of his, used to go to school with him and still see him fairly often, and he's beaten me at fifa a few times too!
  • Options
    On trial and playing for Bromley today.