Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky to Spend

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]All this talk about strikers is fine. Whilst I agree that we are painfully short upfront and we do need to bring atleast two in, we need to consider the fact that strikers need chances to score goals. Did any of our strikers miss a hatful of chances last year?. IMO no. We simply don't create many chances.

If we have small fees to pay for a couple of players atleast one of those should be focused on a player who can create - Jose & McCormack aren't going to pick a pass and Reid can't be relied upon all the time. Another right winger for me. Don't think Wagstaff will sustain a level of form required for a promotion push.

The article does state that Murray and Parky are both aware we are "three or four senior players short" so in an ideal world that'll be a defender, midfielder and 2 strikers.

Must be a goalie in there!
  • Options
    (Twelve days of Christmas tune)

...and a goldfish on a big screen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?

Or Varney

Yeah but look at all the strikers who scored 20+ goals in league one last season, the majority came from league two and below originally. It's a gamble but it can pay off. We are due some luck after all the lower league strikers we have gambled on in the last 4 years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Why a people so excited about potentially signing a striker from League 2? Just because they've scored a few in the league below is doesn't mean anything. McLeod anyone?

Or Varney

But, Parky didn't sign either of them. Do you mean you don't trust Parky to find a decent striker?

I personally do, I don't think he's made a bad signing, possibly Spring but at the time I think that was almost a relegation signing expecting Bailey, Semedo, Racon, Shelvey or an assortment of them to depart in the summer when in reality they all stayed.
  • Options
    I would say Akpo Sodje & Mooney are fairly poor signings.
  • Options
    No, not at all. As ISAW says Parky has found someone very, good players for this level without spending any money. I'm just saying I don't truse the people on here to fid us a good striker :-)
  • Options
    We didn't have a penny and he brought two strikers in, on low wages, with experience of a higher league. What more could be done in the circumstances? We have to take our Premier League/Championship glasses off here I think. One then joined, on a free, and will hopefully be a better player for a full pre-season this year.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]I know our track record is crap but would be happy with a gamble on Richard Brodie if we could get him for under £50k. Just turned 23 years old, 6ft 3 but has a turn of pace, can shoot with both feet and his head, scored 33 goals for York last season and 28 the season before.[/quote]

Great shout. Very good player.... Fleetwood pop to mind?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]No, not at all. As ISAW says Parky has found someone very, good players for this level without spending any money. I'm just saying I don't truse the people on here to fid us a good striker :-)

Well I doubt Parky uses Charlton Life as a scouting source so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I would say Akpo Sodje & Mooney are fairly poor signings.
    Can see why you'd say that, but you've got to take into account the sort of players that are available at that time of the season.

Far more likely to find good strikers in the summer (not saying we definitely will) when players are out of contract and clubs can get replacements in for players they sell. By September/October/November time, the players available are out of contract players who still haven't found a club, or loanees, who are either youngsters or back up players at other clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    League 2 striker eh, perhaps its that striker Parkys been after from the Gills, who's name escapes me, 500k?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]League 2 striker eh, perhaps its that striker Parkys been after from the Gills, who's name escapes me, 500k?

If it's Simeon Jackson he signed for Norwich a fortnight ago for £800k +
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nicorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I No, not at all. As ISAW says Parky has found someone very, good players for this level without spending any money. I'm just saying I don't truse the people on here to fid us a good striker :-)
    Well I doubt Parky uses Charlton Life as a scouting source so I wouldn't worry too much.

Good one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I would say Akpo Sodje & Mooney are fairly poor signings.
    Can see why you'd say that, but you've got to take into account the sort of players that are available at that time of the season.

Far more likely to find good strikers in the summer (not saying we definitely will) when players are out of contract and clubs can get replacements in for players they sell. By September/October/November time, the players available are out of contract players who still haven't found a club, or loanees, who are either youngsters or back up players at other clubs.

I've been happy with all Parky's dealings since he's been in charge, he seems to know a good spot. But i'm sure he could have done a bit better with a couple of strikers who were maybe out of favour with their club at the time. Forster is a good example of that and over the season he would get goals, i just can't see that Akpo will get 15 goals this season, nor Mooney if he was here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]League 2 striker eh, perhaps its that striker Parkys been after from the Gills, who's name escapes me, 500k?

If it's Simeon Jackson he signed for Norwich a fortnight ago for £800k +

not him then, please not lisbie, at least not for the money signing(s)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

I've been happy with all Parky's dealings since he's been in charge, he seems to know a good spot. But i'm sure he could have done a bit better with a couple of strikers who were maybe out of favour with their club at the time. Forster is a good example of that and over the season he would get goals, i just can't see that Akpo will get 15 goals this season, nor Mooney if he was here.
    Forster wasn't available at the time we signed Akpo and Mooney though.

I don't think Akpo was ever signed to be the main goalscorer. If he's fit all season I don't see why he couldn't get 10+, even if some of his play is awkward and frustrating to watch along the way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c/a/f/c[/cite]

Not really, completely different style of striker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]

And Brodie isn't a "one season wonder"
  • Options
    Hes gonna pick a cracker ... you watch...
  • Options
    I still think we are a Big Fish in a small Pond at this level & lots of players would love to sign for a club like us even though we are at one of our lowest ebbs, Still think we could & should be looking to get someone decent in up front. The names mentioned in this Thread thus far have all been not of the standard I would be hoping for. (You know it's gonna be Lisbie) Booo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he will need to venture into L2 due to wages. Le Fondre obviously looks the most attractive in the division. Do i think we will get him? no.

We'll end up with good old Kev.
  • Options
    Problem with Fleetwood he was one dimensional. Looked to use his pace to get in behind that was pretty much it. From what I've read mainly on here, Brodie and Constable seem to have a more all round game.

Most of the good strikers in League One last season were over 6 ft and decent in the air. Even Beckford is 6 ft 2.
  • Options
    I dread to think of the reaction on here if one of the signings is Lisbie!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]

And Brodie isn't a "one season wonder"

He has 60 odd goals in just over 100 apps since 2007 and has only just turned 23.

I can't see how a 6ft 3 all rounder can be compared to a 5ft 7 one trick pony? I can see why people will be critical of another gamble but where a small fee is involved I can't see much better.
  • Options
    "Did any of our strikers miss a hatful of chances last year?. IMO no. We simply don't create many chances."

We could of course create more; perhaps now we have Reid longer term we will, but genuine goal-scorers take a high percentage of what crumbs come their way, and often create their own, not necessarily through sublime skill / power / pace, but sometimes simply through the ability to see what's coming before their markers. We haven't had anyone up front with that intuition for a long time, or that extra hunger and willingness to get in first where it might just hurt. Bailey had it and often picked up poacher's goals from scrambles - for all his other qualities that's probably the main reason we got such a decent fee.
  • Options
    good news for the non-cynical amoungst us.

Parky has done well with the players he has brought in on loan or perm deals IMHO but has never got that 'special' striker.

Maybe that was in part due to lack of funds or is it down to Parky?

We shall see now
  • Options
    Again with the Brodie rumours, I've seen him in real life and he is not the messiah, he's just a decent conference striker. Not gonna set league 1 alight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I still think we are a Big Fish in a small Pond at this level & lots of players would love to sign for a club like us even though we are at one of our lowest ebbs, Still think we could & should be looking to get someone decent in up front. The names mentioned in this Thread thus far have all been not of the standard I would be hoping for. (You know it's gonna be Lisbie) Booo
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I dread to think of the reaction on here if one of the signings is Lisbie!

Why the negativity? At this level he's a formidable player. It's just that he wasn't a good enough striker in the PL. Even there, I think he'd have done a job on the right wing.
  • Options
    I'm going to be very interested on who he signs. We need a strong player, who can play a bit of football. As good as Burton was for us, we've missed a footballer who hustles and bustles with real effect up front since erm Mends and Hunty. I wish I knew where the next Morrison or Paynter was, but I just can't say I watch enough lower league football to know where from. I'll trust Parky and look forward to whoever it is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dylanthedog[/cite]Again with the Brodie rumours, I've seen him in real life and he is not the messiah, he's just a decent conference striker. Not gonna set league 1 alight.

after watching Mooney and Sodje last season I'll be happy if he just creates a bit of smoke.