Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin O'Neill resigns

Comments

• Options
    Boring football is his problem......Swisdom

Bit like curbs with us and people wanted more in the prem days........

Oh how we would welcome those 'boring' days back now..... people forget how poor Villa were.
    Mourinho, Fergusson he is not, but a good manager never the less.....

I rate him highly, bit unlucky last year in the silverware department. Like Moyles has done well with what he has got!
    Easy managing with a large cheque book, a' la Roberto Mancini, boy is he gonna have a job keping all those players happy next season!..... As Dirty Harry once quipped, 'Hell of a price to pay for being stylish"........
  • Options
    I know O'Neill complains a lot about not getting enough money, but why then are Villa running up loads of debt?

Running losses for at least 8 of the last 9 seasons

£13m loss last season, £70m debt overall
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Boring football is his problem......Swisdom

Bit like curbs with us and people wanted more in the prem days........

Oh how we would welcome those 'boring' days back now..... people forget how poor Villa were.
    Mourinho, Fergusson he is not, but a good manager never the less.....

I rate him highly, bit unlucky last year in the silverware department. Like Moyles has done well with what he has got!
    Easy managing with a large cheque book, a' la Roberto Mancini, boy is he gonna have a job keping all those players happy next season!..... As Dirty Harry once quipped, 'Hell of a price to pay for being stylish"........

But would you want to see England playing hoofball? Me neither
  • Options
    I would like to see England playing any sort of football at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Swisdom you must be off your rocker mate. O'Neill has been succesful everywhere he's gone. How many managers can you say that about? There's just absolutely no question surrounding his ability.

Joins Wycombe and leads them to TWO successive promotions.

Wins TWO League Cups with Leicester City, and got them to another final as well. In his four years there they never finished below tenth, and qualified for the UEFA Cup twice.

First season at Celtic they win the treble (first time the club had done that since 1969.( First Celtic manager to take them into the revamped champions league, which he did three times. Got to a UEFA Cup Final which they lost in extra time. Holds the BRITISH RECORD for the most consecutive wins with 25. Won a record 7 consecutive old firm derbies. Won seven trophies.

I don't need to tell you what he's done at Villa. But just for example, they scored 71 goals in his second season, their best ever in the Premiership and overall since 1981. They've gone from being a nothing, 13th-14th team to finishing sixth in the last few season, and looking like they could push on.

Doesn't sound over-rated to me.
  • Options
    I think he's an absolute plum.
  • Options
    VG, I'd suggest his that his record would make your comment sound more like the plum!

What Chunes said!
  • Options
    I love all the MON and curbs had their teams playing boring football gash.....
    I mean atm we're as binary as it gets but its ok now cos we're wank and beating the mighty bournemouth is really exciting ...... Clown shoes
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    I've put Villa's debt up there above, this at a time when he's being praised for running under a tight budget.

Leicester went into administration just over 2 years after O'Neill left. How long after he left did it take for Celtic to hit the rocks?

I'm not saying he's completely to blame for all the above problems, but they do follow a couple of years after success. He may be a very good manager, but I have gone off him in the past year or two. And it doesn't help that he complained a lot about not getting enough money at Villa despite Lerner loaning nearly £50m to them.

That said, if they have sold Young from above his head, then he has a case for constructive dismissal, and his CV is good enough (at enough clubs) for it not to affect his employment prospects
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA

ONE TEAM IN THE PREMIERSHIP MAKES PROFIT!
  • Options
    supaclive, whats his record got to do with him being a plum?....Paul McCartney has sold millions of albums but he's still a plum. Tom Cruise has won acting awards but he's still a plum. Just cos O'Neill maybe a decent manager doesnt rule him out of being.........a plum.
  • Options
    you got to love the villa fans on talkshite

We should get Mourinho

PMSFL
  • Options
    VG - what makes him a plum?!
  • Options
    his general manner. Cant stand the way he comes across like a child thats had too much sugar. Some of the stuff he comes out with really grates me and i rarely agree with what he says when interviewed and as a pundit.
  • Options
    All due respect VG, he's a succesful manager in the best league in the world... Which would mean that he's probably right and you're probably wrong?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

That said, if they have sold Young from above his head, then he has a case for constructive dismissal, and his CV is good enough (at enough clubs) for it not to affect his employment prospects

I'm not so sure, there have been plenty of jobs come on the market since Curbs won his case. Is it just coincedence that he's not got a look at any of them?
  • Options
    Aston Villa Manager....Bob Bradley all day long
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]All due respect VG, he's a succesful manager in the best league in the world... Which would mean that he's probably right and you're probably wrong?

the pundit side of football is all about opinions. As ive said before, i think he's a decent manager....just dont agree with what he has to say most of the time....and to be truthful, i dont think Mo'N knows what hes rambling on about half the time either!
  • Options
    I always thought that MON came across as dignified and considered.....and with a passion for the game.

Maybe you're right, though. He's obviously a plum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]you got to love the villa fans on talkshite

We should get Mourinho

PMSFL

Hahahahahaha. Quality. They won the European Cup don't you know? ;-)

Uncle, I think I know what you're talking about. It's kinda why I said "at enough clubs". If you're saying that he's not being employed because of the case against West Ham, well clubs will see two things on his CV: success at Charlton, and throwing his toys out of the pram at West Ham when he didn't get full control (I'll leave my and your opinions at the door, just talking about how clubs might think). For O'Neill, he has success at Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic, followed by coming close to Champions League and throwing his toys out of the pram. There's enough success there to overcome the tantrum, if clubs want to see it like that.

[Irrelevant to the Martin O'Neill discussion, but I'll stick it in anyway] We also don't know Curbs' personal situation and whether he was ever interested in, say, the Hull or Burnley jobs. If I was a club chairman, I don't know if I'd hire Curbs anyway, even ignoring the West Ham case. It's hard to know how much passion he'd have for a new job, whether he'd want to build a team like at Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I always thought that MON came across as dignified and considered.....and with a passion for the game.

Maybe you're right, though. He's obviously a plum.

glad we cleared that up.
  • Options
    Villa's wage bill is £11m more a season than Spurs. Staggering when you see the difference in quality of the two squads.
    No wonder they have been running at a loss for the last 8/9 seasons.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]you got to love the villa fans on talkshite

We should get Mourinho

PMSFL

Hahahahahaha. Quality. They won the European Cup don't you know? ;-)

Uncle, I think I know what you're talking about. It's kinda why I said "at enough clubs". If you're saying that he's not being employed because of the case against West Ham, well clubs will see two things on his CV: success at Charlton, and throwing his toys out of the pram at West Ham when he didn't get full control (I'll leave my and your opinions at the door, just talking about how clubs might think). For O'Neill, he has success at Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic, followed by coming close to Champions League and throwing his toys out of the pram. There's enough success there to overcome the tantrum, if clubs want to see it like that.

[Irrelevant to the Martin O'Neill discussion, but I'll stick it in anyway] We also don't know Curbs' personal situation and whether he was ever interested in, say, the Hull or Burnley jobs. If I was a club chairman, I don't know if I'd hire Curbs anyway, even ignoring the West Ham case. It's hard to know how much passion he'd have for a new job, whether he'd want to build a team like at Charlton.

Curbs was interviewed for the Hull job twice, he accepted the post and then on his way back from the second interview after accepting....stopped at a service station to text the chairman to say he'd changed his mind.
  • Options
    I think he's a good manager but at the same time i think O'Neill should be criticised for walking out. What's with throwing your toys out of the pram because the owner won't give you more cash, how about you get on with it, do your highly paid job and manage your club. Apparently in his time there he had a net spend of £85m, i think there's quite a few managers who'd love a budget like that, but he gets the hump and walks out when told he needs to sell a player or 2.

Here's an interesting article on his time at Celtic for those who think he walks on water.

Celtic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]No wonder they have been running at a loss for the last 8/9 seasons.

I'd be surprised if Spurs hadn't also been running at a loss for the last 8 or 9 seasons, John.
  • Options
    I really hope curbs gets the job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]stopped at a service station to text the chairman to say he'd changed his mind.

with what was going on it was the decent thing really.
  • Options
    Copied and pasted from elsewhere.

1) Steve Sidwell - £5m
    2) Nicky Shorey - £4.5m
    3) Habib Beye - £2m
    4) Stewart Downing £12.5m
    5) Curtis Davies - £8m
    6) Emile Heskey - £3m
    7) Nigel Reo-Coker - £8.5m
    8) Fabian Delph - £8m
    9) Luke Young - £5m

He's not as good as people make him out to be.
  • Options
    Gareth Barry - £12m to Man City
    James Milner - £12m in, £24m out (or £18m + Stephen Ireland)
    Ashley Young - £8m in, possibly £16m out

What about Martin Larsen, Brad Friedel etc etc - he's taken Villa from below halfway to finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row!