Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin O'Neill resigns

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]What about Martin Larsen, Brad Friedel etc etc - he's taken Villa from below halfway to finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row!

Like Curbs ......he just couldn't quite get to the "next level".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]What about Martin Larsen, Brad Friedel etc etc - he's taken Villa from below halfway to finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row!

Like Curbs ......he just couldn't quite get to the "next level".

I think that may be a bit unfair on both MON and Curbs. In the case of Curbs I will never stop believing that we would've got to the "next level" if Scott Parker had not left in the January sales.
  • Options
    This is not the first time he has walked out, he had the job at Norwich for a short time, i think he had issues with the chairman once he got there and resigned.

I'd be surprised if curbs got it, i think he has to swallow his pride and go to the Championship and start rebuilding. Charltons decline will not help him, Lerner probably does not know who we are and when reminded will not be able to associate us with anything other than a lower league club, even though Curbs is Premiership. I would not be surprised to see Pards sacked before Christmas and Curbs being offered it as a rebuilding job, would he swallow his pride and go down there?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]No wonder they have been running at a loss for the last 8/9 seasons.

I'd be surprised if Spurs hadn't also been running at a loss for the last 8 or 9 seasons, John.

And this was before they made the CL.

Profit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    Charltons decline will not help him, Lerner probably does not know who we are and when reminded will not be able to associate us with anything other than a lower league club, even though Curbs is Premiership.

Flip side of this Kap is that he would be able to see how imperative to our success curbishley was as it clearly all went bosoms up when he left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    Charltons decline will not help him, Lerner probably does not know who we are and when reminded will not be able to associate us with anything other than a lower league club, even though Curbs is Premiership.

Flip side of this Kap is that he would be able to see how imperative to our success curbishley was as it clearly all went bosoms up when he left.

I would hope so, as I would like to see curbs in the prem again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]No wonder they have been running at a loss for the last 8/9 seasons.

I'd be surprised if Spurs hadn't also been running at a loss for the last 8 or 9 seasons, John.

And this was before they made the CL.

Profit

That profit seems to have been partly due to marking up the book value of their players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Gareth Barry - £12m to Man City
    James Milner - £12m in, £24m out (or £18m + Stephen Ireland)
    Ashley Young - £8m in, possibly £16m out

What about Martin Larsen, Brad Friedel etc etc - he's taken Villa from below halfway to finishing 6th 3 seasons in a row!

2 of those 3 are off to man city - who will pay over the odds.

I believe he's walked out on his last 5 jobs - not been sacked
  • Options

I'd rather see CAFC in the Premiership again myself.

Whilst I don't wish him anything but well and I'll be interested in where (if anywhere) he eventually ends up, I don't believe Curb's has a devine right to manage in the Premiership and the longer it goes on with him not at a club the harder it gets to justify that position.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

I'd rather see CAFC in the Premiership again myself.

I agree BA.

It's obvious that Curbs doesn't really need a job (well, not as a football manager), otherwise he would be in work by now in L1 or the Championship. He seems to have the funds behind him to wait for the perfect job, which probably doesn't exist and if it did, would he even get shortlisted for it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Curbs' next job is at a Premiership team that aren't just relegation fodder, I will eat my shoes.
  • Options
    I like O'Neil, but never compare him to Curbs. Curbs knew how to work within a budget.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]If Curbs' next job is at a Premiership team that aren't just relegation fodder, I will eat my shoes.
    I'll give you a hand with the gloves.