Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

who the Beeeep

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]My thoughts:

1. I think some posters are confusing being popular with the supporters with being popular with the media. Two different things, although of course the second influences greatly the other.
    2. He is just a player coming to the end of his career who has won nothing, that'snothingin case you missed it, with that particular team. This should not automatically entitle him to some sort of farewell game arrange in his honour when we are looking to sort ourselves out.
    3. He has never even been the best player in any of the proper teams he has played for, let along the best player of his generation.

spot on. Even Bobby Charlton didn't get a farewell game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Tabloid press make me laugh

Beckham is exactly the sort of player we should be dumping, along with Lampard and a few others that got picked for the latest squad.

Ok slightly insensitive doing it on the box put I am pretty sure Becks knew this anyway.

Front page of The Sun - Jesus Christ.

And from the same paper that slaughtered him when he got sent off vs. Argentina... a lot of people will read anything though and allow themselves to be mind-controlled by the media... just look at the reaction of some on this thread!
  • Options
    So who are all of these world class, known, role model English footballers! then......

(besides Chris Powell of course)
    Front page of the Sun, nor surprissed, he is still top 10 in popularity for endorsements/parties/...... according to my friend who is a 'pap photographer'
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]So who are all of these world class, known, role model English footballers! then......[/quote]

There aren't any!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wowee, its turning into the David Beckham love in here, so sorry. Your'e right David Beckham IS the best English football player of this generation, no make it EVER! Feel better now?

I suppose you think his gawky, pig-nosed-truffle-sniffing bird is the most beautiful lady in the World too?
  • Options
    Once again an England match has been hijacked by Beckham the show monkey...

Why don't Beckham just fade into international footballing obscurity with dignity and grace like all his predecessors...?

Just an attention whore...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Once again an England match has been hijacked by Beckham the show monkey...

Why don't Beckham just fade into international footballing obscurity with dignity and grace like all his predecessors...?

It was not his fault this time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Once again an England match has been hijacked by Beckham the show monkey...

Just an attention whore...[/quote]

What has Beckham actually said?

From what I've seen it's the media that have all jumped on the band wagon. All Beckham has said is that he will always be available for his country which is fair enough, isn't it?

Surely it's better to have someone like that than twats like Robinson and Brown!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Once again an England match has been hijacked by Beckham the show monkey...

he hasn't said a word !?!?!?!
  • Options
    Meelan don't want him back this winter either, he's had his time, Capello is right to drop him, and as Southend said, the likes of Lampard and Barry should follow. Even Ashley Cole is replaceable, as I thought Gibbs looked really good last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    much as I dislike A Cole, he's the best left back in the world, Gibbs looked good last night but hasn't played against anywhere near the calibre of player Cole has (yet)

Agree about Barry and to a certain degree Lumpard.
  • Options
    We need to replace Ferdinand and Terry.
  • Options
    Cannot stand his wife personally......

And it was Capello who was interviewed here.......

Still waiting for your current list of these players...... ehm! yeah thought so....... not a big list is it.....

Do not think Becks will have to form a que here on this one. I will start with Alan Shearer, bald little bloke works for the bbc, big in geordie land, writes a nice autograph, failed football manager!........
  • Options
    As Rothko said, the Beckham's popularity is only with the new Wembley crowd.

Go to an England away game and tell me he's more popular than Gazza and Booby Moore, I must have missed out on Beckhamania.
  • Options
    Cole....... only weeks ago he was being advised to live abroad because he had buggered his PR image with 'saint Cheryl' (known as sugar and shite) but his performance in the world cup....... has not had any takers as of yet....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Cannot stand his wife personally......

And it was Capello who was interviewed here.......

Still waiting for your current list of these players...... ehm! yeah thought so....... not a big list is it.....

Do not think Becks will have to form a que here on this one. I will start with Alan Shearer, bald little bloke works for the bbc, big in geordie land, writes a nice autograph, failed football manager!........

If your'e talking to me.. you'll be waiting a long, long time.. I'm not biting - I can't be arsed to justify myself when you and some others think that your opinion is gospel.

If you think that wins your petty little argument then fine, small things to me.
  • Options
    Exactly

How people can compare his popularity with the World Cup winning captain (who they probably never watched in their lifetime) is beyond me.

Gazza by far our most popular player in my lifetime by a country mile.

Becks is popular because a) he is famous and fanciable to the post Euro 96 girlie support. b) he claps the fans at away games.
  • Options
    Gazza.... if we need a hostage situation, we know he our man...... Afraid Bobby is long gone...... bit like Gazza, which is very sad..... There is alway's Bobby Charlton!
  • Options
    what a load of ballox wrote on here by the i hate beckham brigade my comment wernt on the rights and wrongs of dropping him but on the pish poor effort from capello the clown and those money grabbing shisters at the fa

cappelo shouldnt even still be there he should have had his head on a vegtable and been chased out of town by now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not keen on the Beckham circus but as a footballer, especially in the current climate of feckless shysters representing our country, he is head & shoulders above anyone else.

I've never seen him bottle out of anything, or give less than 100% no matter who the opposition, when McClaren quite publicly booted him out of the squad he knuckled down and got back in. That is the sort of player I want representing my country and to give him a run in a friendly so people can acknowledge the most capped outfield player England have had will do precisley no harm at all to our chances of qualifying for the next major tournament and would be a gesture David Beckham would fully deserve. If the argument against this is that it has not been afforded to anyone else who has got too old to play for England then so be it. When someone comes along who carries the national side as much as he has then do the same then.

He said, like David James and Gary Neville, that he would never make himself 'unavailable' for England and as long as he was playing he was available for selection.
  • Options
    Players not picked for world cup just accepted it got on with life...

Even those that got injured when in South Africa just accepted it, jumped on the next plane and came home...

But not sideshow bob beckham...

His over inflated ego whinged and whined that much Cappello was forced into taking the prat as a 'special ambassador'...

He was nothing but a big headed distraction and did the squad no favours whatsoever by being there...

Kick the attention whore into touch and let Capello get on with the job...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    He put more effort in the Greece qualifier than any of the players put together in South Africa.

Deserved a Knighthood for that performance alone.

Is it the right decision by Capello, yes, IMO but he has to drop Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Terry as well for the future of the English game
  • Options
    How many of the tabloid journalists and thicko fans that are wringing their hands about Capello's insensitivity, I wonder, are the same people that demanded he was retired after 2006 disappointment and pilloried him after been sent off as a play actor in 1998? The odds are on it being a high percentage.

Always hard to win an argument with the stupid.
  • Options
    [cite]

Slight over-statement. Geoff Hurst had to wait about 30 years for his knighthood and he scored a hat-trick in a world cup final, not a last minute equaliser in a qualifier at home to Greece and we only qualified because Germany failed to beat Finland at home. Beckham''s been as guilty as Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard for failing to produce at major finals.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite][quote][cite]

[/cite][/quote][cite]

Slight over-statement. Geoff Hurst had to wait about 30 years for his knighthood and he scored a hat-trick in a world cup final, not a last minute equaliser in a qualifier at home to Greece and we only qualified because Germany failed to beat Finland at home. Beckham''s been as guilty as Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard for failing to produce at major finals.[/cite][/quote]

Agreed but I said for his performance, only England player on the pitch that day, he chased balls that other players didnt even look at. We were shocking and if it wasnt for him on the pitch we would have lost as nobody else put a shift in. Free Kick was the Icing.
  • Options
    I echo what is said above, England were truly abject that day and I can't remember any game where one player has single-handedly carried an entire team for 90 minutes. Sod the Argentina penalty, that was his finest hour (and a half) in an England shirt. We still beat Germany in Germany to get in the position we were in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I echo what is said above, England were truly abject that day and I can't remember any game where one player has single-handedly carried an entire team for 90 minutes. Sod the Argentina penalty, that was his finest hour (and a half) in an England shirt. We still beat Germany in Germany to get in the position we were in.

It makes me laugh how people always bring up that GREECE game as the clincher to their argument, are there many other games you could mention that Beckham played so well for 90 minutes to be the best player of his generation? By the way, best ambassador / role model is a totally different argument.
  • Options
    He certainly bottled it in the Quarter final against Brazil
  • Options
    The thing about Beckham is he is popular with the NON football people.
    He has transcended the admiration of us folk who can recognise a clever off the ball run or a tactical change and has become a global icon for our country.

Whatever way his international career ended, it was going to be a story on the front page of the papers.
    It would have been just as much a story if he had been sitting at a desk, next to Don Fabio, telling the media he'd played his last game due to a combination of injuries and age.

It's just the way of the world when he's in Heat magazine probably more than 442.