Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9/11 - Where were you?

Comments

• Options
    At home listening to talksport when the news started filtering through. Put sky news on and witnessed live the second plane crashing into the tower.

Awful moment.
  • Options
    At home listening to talksport when the news started filtering through. Put sky news on and witnessed live the second plane crashing into the tower.

Awful moment.
    Won't ever forget that mate
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Was filming an exclusive interview with someone who claimed he had evidence that the Lockerbie bomb was planted at Heathrow, that those who had been accused of planting it were innocent, and that it had all been covered up. He had witnessed where a break in had occurred at the exact place where you'd get access to transit baggage.
    Major shock when we phoned the newsdesk to say it went well, only to hear we'd been dropped because the first plane had crashed into the towers. Saw the second plane crashing into the tower on my return to Grays Inn Rd. Spent the rest of the day filming maybe thirty to forty interviews in the office for our open ender programme, with a brief to make them all look different. Half of our crews had been sent to various airports so they could fly to New York. Of course all flights had been grounded, so they spent a few days hanging around in airports and airport hotels, not going anywhere.

(Always remember experts who pointed out the aim wasn't so much to 'punish' America, as it was to create divisions between non Muslims and Muslims, in the hope of creating a 'holy war'. Can't help thinking we're still falling for it.)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    limeygent said:
    New Jersey, just across the river.
    We lived in Guttenberg from Sept 2000-March 2001, during that time I went up the twin towers around 8-10 times taking various friends up there when they came out to see us, we were long gone by 9/11 thank god, my wife was offered a permanent position and her company even said they would sort my green card out, but she wanted to come home after finishing her initial contract. On that day we were out walking in the Kent countryside and hadn't a clue to what was happening until we caught a train back from Gravesend to Eltham when we heard a couple of young lads chatting about a plane hitting a building, needless to say we caught up with everything when we got home.
  • Options
    I was in year 6 and we was going to the library to watch a video and the news came up on the TV. Only really half understood once I got home that afternoon.
  • Options
    have visited the 9/11 memorial last October v peaceful place - the only thing i found odd/sick is people getting selfies at it, the bit that moved me was the placing of a white flower on whatever victims birthday it is.
    I thought the same when I went mate. Can understand people taking photographs but smiley selfies seemed very inappropriate. Extremely eerie place yet incredible at the same time. Still doesn't seem real and simply terrible that it is.
    Came across the same thing at Auschwitz. A group of idiotic Japanese tourists having their photo taken whilst grinning & doing that stupid V thing with their fingers, at the wall where hundreds of inmates were shot.
    Similar thing happened to me 'Dave'.
  • Options
    I was in year 6 and we was going to the library to watch a video and the news came up on the TV. Only really half understood once I got home that afternoon.
    Same story for me basically. 

I was in year 6, and a teacher took a call from her husband, and then she told us, she herself was in complete shock. 

Something you just can't even begin get your head around at that stage of life. 
  • Options
    It was a great time in my life. In the July I'd just moved into my dream home. Second daughter was born in August and in early September I had my 30th birthday at home and watched the England win over Germany with old school pals that I hadn't seen for years. I was just about to start third year of university and then the twin towers event happened and somehow the world changed forever. 
  • Options
    I was in my office. I was 22 and remember some dick who was in his 40’s walking around the office telling us youngsters how we were going to be called up to fight and die needlessly on foreign lands…..dick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at work and my husband phoned to say that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre, he then kept me updated with events throughout the afternoon.

I remember driving home and hearing all the latest news of the car radio and thinking that the world wasn't going to be quite the same after this.
  • Options
    I was working at ING on London wall. Just back from a few pints in The Scottish Pound. 

Dozensof us crowded round screens on the trading floor watching in disbelief. 

I remember the wild rumours that more planes were missing and believed to be heading for the City of London. People were panicking so we were told we could leave early. Most of us just wandered back to The Scottish Pound for the rest of the day. 

• Options
    I was working at ING on London wall. Just back from a few pints in The Scottish Pound. 

I remember the wild rumours that more planes were missing and believed to be heading for the City of London. People were panicking so we were told we could leave early. Most of us just wandered back to The Scottish Pound for the rest of the day. 

Worked for NatWest at Drapers garden and also went Scottish Pound after work. 
  • Options
    My wife worked forAON insurance in the city, she phoned me at work to say what had happened I was driving back to Belvedere from Leatherhead after a meeting  AON  lost about 60 people, she knew some of them quite well, including a chap  called Mike Egan, who sister had chosen that morning to meet Mike for a coffee. A shocking senseless waste of life. 
  • Options
    Having a 1-1 with my boss by phone as he was from Plymouth. We were chatting about various things when he said turn on the TV, you won't believe what's happening. We did just in time to see the second plane hit.
  • Options
    My wife worked forAON insurance in the city, she phoned me at work to say what had happened I was driving back to Belvedere from Leatherhead after a meeting  AON  lost about 60 people, she knew some of them quite well, including a chap  called Mike Egan, who sister had chosen that morning to meet Mike for a coffee. A shocking senseless waste of life. 
    My dad worked for Aon at that period of time. Their big offices in the US were New York and Chicago. Can remember him being on the phone non stop after school.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Worked for NatWest at Drapers garden and also went Scottish Pound after work. 
    My wife worked at Drapers Gardens......Nadira.
  • Options

Awful moment.
    Exactly the same, was sitting in my kitchen in Sydenham and heard it on TALKsport. Put the TV on and sat there for hours watching the horror unfold. 

Watched a show on Channel 4 a couple of nights ago "102 minutes that changed America." Powerful stuff.
    Watched BBC iplayer "9/11 Inside the Presidents war room" last night. CIA fella said that some of the names of the hijackers were on their "watch list".

• Options
    One of the most gripping/terryfying accounts from that day I've ever read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/september-11-anniversary-survivor-story-b1917176.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at work watching when the news came on the radio,we then put our tiny portable TV on a watched the horror unfold.I felt chilled to the bone,a few years earlier I had been up the towers on a trip to New York,the sheer size of the structures was incredible,when they came down,I said to a colleague,they will take years to clear the debris,but they did it in 9 months.Also although nearly 3000 died,that is a fraction of how many could have been in there and I really thought the figure could have reached 5 figures.This action by these bastards was the reason we went to Afganistan,and although many brave soldiers lost their lives,I am sure further similar scale attacks were prevented,although you can never stop these maniacs blowing themselves up.And they do it in the name of religion.
  • Options
    Fortunately, I wasn't on my normal commute that morning, which took me the 100 yards from the Millennium Hilton, opposite Tower 2, to my office in 1 Liberty Plaza, opposite Tower 1.

I'd managed to persuade my boss that it was normal for Brits to take 4 weeks off for a honeymoon, so I was on a beach in Mauritius, trying to call countless colleagues and friends and fielding dozens and dozens of in-comings from people assuming I was there.  

If I'd taken the standard two weeks, that Tuesday morning was going to be my first day back.
  • Options
    This story still freaks me out. 

I knew someone by reputation at a company I worked for in Los Angeles from 1991-1999. A week after 9/11 a friend still at that company told me about a freak close-call by that worker.

I don’t like to fly. Apparently he hated it and so did his wife. So much so that when they flew with their kids, the husband and wife would take separate planes for separate airlines, each with one kid in tow. 

They were on vacation at her parents in Boston. They were due to fly back to LA on 9/11 but over the weekend cancelled their flights and decided to stay a few more days.

Turns out the husband and daughter were originally scheduled  on United Flight 175 that flew into thw South Tower and the wife and son were booked on American Flight 11 that went into the North Tower. The all would have died in the same place despite all their planning. They would not have known the other died just 20 minutes apart at the same spot.

That story also freaked me out. Not as much  as him though. He retired a few weeks later. Never heard about him again. That’s “Final Destination” kind of stuff.
    That's shocking and astonishing. Lucky, lucky people. I imagine the FBI were all over them when they investigated. 
  • Options
    On stage during my regular Tuesdays night gig at Minsky's bar Nedland Perth WA. a group of students suddenly burst in and swiched the tv on. I carried on to the end of the song being convinced that they got a new video game. Nick came over all apologetic and drew my attention. And then the 2nd plane hit...
  • Options

I knew someone by reputation at a company I worked for in Los Angeles from 1991-1999. A week after 9/11 a friend still at that company told me about a freak close-call by that worker.

I don’t like to fly. Apparently he hated it and so did his wife. So much so that when they flew with their kids, the husband and wife would take separate planes for separate airlines, each with one kid in tow. 

They were on vacation at her parents in Boston. They were due to fly back to LA on 9/11 but over the weekend cancelled their flights and decided to stay a few more days.

Turns out the husband and daughter were originally scheduled  on United Flight 175 that flew into thw South Tower and the wife and son were booked on American Flight 11 that went into the North Tower. The all would have died in the same place despite all their planning. They would not have known the other died just 20 minutes apart at the same spot.

That story also freaked me out. Not as much  as him though. He retired a few weeks later. Never heard about him again. That’s “Final Destination” kind of stuff.
    Madness. So lucky.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

That's shocking and astonishing. Lucky, lucky people. I imagine the FBI were all over them when they investigated. 
    Every time I hear a story of a near-miss like this, it absolutely chills me.  Partly because of how close the survivor would have been to a terrible fate.  But also because, for every passenger who just missed a stricken flight, there would probably have been someone who just made it, and for everyone who cancelled their flight, there would probably be someone who booked in their place.  RIP to all the victims.  And to all of those who came close: Carpe Diem. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Every time I hear a story of a near-miss like this, it absolutely chills me.  Partly because of how close the survivor would have been to a terrible fate.  But also because, for every passenger who just missed a stricken flight, there would probably have been someone who just made it, and for everyone who cancelled their flight, there would probably be someone who booked in their place.  RIP to all the victims.  And to all of those who came close: Carpe Diem. 
    Very true Chizz, makes my guts turn just thinking about it tbh.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @usetobunkin @SouthWest_Addicks I work at Aon and spent a lot of time in the WTC. I also worked in the Aon Center in Chicago post 9/11. I was in London at the time too. Horrific day. Aon lost 176 people on 9/11, many I knew, and there were 531 insurance professionals killed between Aon and Marsh and a few others.

I have heard literally hundreds of stories from that day. One of the more familiar ones within Aon was a large client presentation (that client makes the Covid-19 vaccine) which was moved late the night before from the 105th floor of the south tower to the Hilton hotel opposite due to the large meeting room in the Aon office being double-booked. 

The meeting started at 8.30 and everyone in that room watched from the hotel window across the street as the planes hit the towers. My old boss from Chicago was in that meeting, and I have only ever heard him talk about it once. 

Never forget.