Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9/11 - Where were you?

Comments

• Options
    No Facilities-estates
  • Options
    Was living in NJ from Sept 2000 till April 2001, went up the twin towers on quite a few ocassions (mainly to the bar...windows to/off the world). On 9/11 we were out walking in the countryside around Istead Rise near Gravesend....shocking news when we got back home (Eltham at the time).
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    limeygent said:

I was in New Jersey, just across the river.

We lived in Guttenberg....at The Galaxy.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I was in New Jersey, just across the river.

Are you Frankie Valli?

:-)
  • Options
    working at 33 Cavendish Sq w1
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This was my first week in a new job as a Financial Adviser. I was calling customers, who all seemed very disinterested.

The 10th or so customer I called said, sorry we're busy watching the TV.

I replied, that I didn't wish to appear rude, but what were they watching at that time of day, as they weren't the first to say they were watching the TV.

Then, I went out and watched the horrifying event, down t'pub, before going home early.
  • Options
    It always seems so close to me. I left New York on the Sunday beforehand. I nearly stayed on for the week for a conference that I have attended several times in other years - I just couldn't quite justify it that year. How lucky I was. I have two good friends who were en route to the conference and got diverted to a Canadian military airfield. I was safely in a boring office in Orpington when the news broke.
  • Options
    I was driving and early for an appointment in Surrey. I walked into a pub to get a coffee, looked up at the big screen on the wall, and thought good grief which film is this ? I then sat transfixed as the second plane hit the tower, watching people jumping out of windows to their death.
    Yesterday I saw the new human species revealed which is over 1 million years old, could be a lot older. I pondered the wonderful things that man has produced building big heavy planes to fly through the air, and the fact that the human race cannot live in peace around the World. If there is a God, what on earth must he be thinking ?
  • Options
    Me and the missus had just treated ourselves to his n hers designer watches that were quite expensive (for us). We drove home and on the way I called in to one of my suppliers. The lad in there started telling me about a plane hitting the world trade centre, then added that another one then hit the other building, his description sounded way too unbelievable. He waited for my reaction and I just said well what's the punch line? I honestly thought he was telling me a joke. I jumped in the car and said to the wife we had better get home quick and put the tele on, we sat in shock watching the TV pictures especially as we had been on top of one of the towers just two days before. It was months later that I realised the time on my receipt for the watches was exactly the time the first plane hit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Living in Ashford at the time, and was coming home with my wife from a shopping trip to Canterbury, heard it on the car radio. Did not seem so serious at the time, until I got home and saw it on the TV
  • Options
    With Storm Irma dominating the news, I've not seen anything mentioned about 9/11.

Easily, one of the most significant days for all the wrong reasons in my early teenage years. I'll never forget those images rolling across the TV.

Thoughts go out to all those impacted and those who continue to feel the impact of the terrible events that day.
  • Options

With Storm Irma dominating the news, I've not seen anything mentioned about 9/11.

Easily, one of the most significant days for all the wrong reasons in my early teenage years. I'll never forget those images rolling across the TV.

Thoughts go out to all those impacted and those who continue to feel the impact of the terrible events that day.

Probably the most significant international event since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I still remember it like yesterday. RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families and friends today..
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Probably posted already what I was doing so wont repeat that, but 2 other things that stand out for me are:

A bloke I was working with at the time was not in the office as his wife was giving birth that day (to twins) and later he said that he had bought a paper that day to show them kids when they were older the events of the day. Obviously papers are a day behind so he went out the next day & bought a paper to show them what actually happened on THE day they were born & not just the date they were born.

My eldest was born exactly 2 years later (14 today) and I've only just realised that on his 18th it will be the 20 year anniversary, so whilst he will be out getting royally drunk & enjoying himself I imagine there will be very different goings-on over in the States.

• Options
    It seems like yesterday, RIP to all those who never came home that day.

My current boss was in the twin towers on a 30 something floor. As he always did at the same time every day he popped out for a smoke, how lucky was he.......
  • Options
    Watched a film a while ago about the collapse of WT7 on that day.
    Something very suspect went on there.
  • Options
    Well when I moved to Australia I joined the Navy there, I was teaching new kids about IFF transponders on Aircraft at the time and the Chief came into the class and told me what had happened, we went into lockdown being a miltary base.

A few weeks later I was posted to The Defence Security Authority in Canberra which calculated threat levels and then was sent to the Persian Gulf for the Gulf War in 03
  • Options
    At home listening to talk sport waiting to go into work in the afternoon, they broke the conversation to go to their news presenter, when I tuned into the TV news channels, as I switched over the second plane ran into the tower. Terrible live scenes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I actually know someone who was on a plane on the way to mexico and was grounded at boston. That is scary!

My engineer was on his way to New York at the time, they diverted him and his family to Canada, where he said they were treated magnificently for a few days, before being allowed to continue their journey.
  • Options
    Dayton, New Jersey. Just outside of New York, watching in the waiting room of a car dealership with some people who could have been there. Unforgettable, moment by moment.
  • Options
    In Southampton airport waiting to board a flight to Alderney. Got a call from the wife saying what had happened - thought it was a light aircraft crash and went to watch the TV.

Couldn't believe my eyes and thought of my brother (a UK firefighter) as I watched NY firefighters rush to their probable death.

Still shiver now when I watch the footage and hear the sound of those safety whistles that go off when a firefighter is down.

Love to Steve Buscemi the Holllywood actor who went back to his old job as a NY firefighter as they were so short of crew after the tragedy.

Please God, never again.
  • Options
    9/11 as it is written by my colleagues was surreal. We were working in a tall building in London now demolished to make place for the Shard.

We had no exposure to the terror or death that was a part of being in New York. We had big tv screens in the office and at the time could not believe or process what was happening.

That attack has changed the world.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Playing my regular tuesday night gig at the Minsky's Bar in Nedlands (Perth) in front of my usual crowd of 6 (Art...) when 3 of my bigest fans burst in straight past (what I like to call) my stage, turning the Tv opposite me becoming very animated in front of what looked like the latest computer game. Being the true pro that I sold myself so well as, I carried on with my emotional rendition of my biggest hit to date 'Roni Levi' to it's bombastic conclusion before sneeringly joining the others.
    It felt apocalyptic, it reminded me Charlton Heston cry on the final scene of the original 'Planet of the Apes' : "YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"
    Tragic event, matched by tragically disastrous response by the US and it's British/Australian and a few others 'me too' allies. ..
  • Options

Watched a film a while ago about the collapse of WT7 on that day.
    Something very suspect went on there.

I'm sorry but you're an idiot
  • Options
    I remember being in school, must have been about 8 years old when our lessons were cancelled to have a whole school assembly, whilst they tried to explain what was happening in New York to almost 250 kids.

Remember sitting in the car after school with my dad who had just picked my brother and myself up and we stayed in the car park for ages, just listening to the radio without going anywhere.

Its the only junior school memory which I still clearly remember.

• Options
    Christ the King College, remember it spread round that there had been a chemical attack. Before the days of fast internet on phones.
  • Options
    I was early for an appointment, popped into a pub for a coffee, looked at the TV and wondered what the hell this film was ! Realising the truth I sat and watched the incredible scenes, people holding hands and jumping out of high windows etc.

Will the human race ever live in peace ? I despair at the damage we do often in the name of religion, and how these lunatics like the guy in North Korea become such a threat. Makes me happy to be in my eighties, but I fear for my new great grand-daughter who has brought us great joy.