Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hammers to move to Olympic Stadium?

Now that our friends across the water have thrown their Pearly King hat in the ring to take on the stadium after 2012 I was wondering how well it will go down with their supporters? When we were selling out every week you could argue that moving was a neccessity but they don't sell out every week to my knowledge so, great stadium no doubt about it, how are they going to sell this to their long term fans who've being going to the Boleyn Ground for decades? How would we feel, would we be happy to move on in their position?

Comments

• Options
    I reckon most of them would be happy if it means they can compete with the Spuds a bit more.

Most of their fans come from Essex so nice and easy to get to Stratford on the train, tis only one stop from West Ham after all.

Might be interesting with plenty of other London Clubs having to go through Stratford for their football though.
  • Options
    I don't think it would go down well with their fans. I would hate to leave the Valley for some quick me up Stadium in Kent.
  • Options
    It's going to go down well at first, then the howls of complaints when the athletics track becomes a long term issue
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It's going to go down well at first, then the howls of complaints when the athletics track becomes a long term issue

I thought that it'd all been sorted now and it was staying?
    Gold showers comments on the deal.
  • Options
    Agree with Rothko. They'll like the 50/60k capacity idea but after a few games when they realise the atmosphere is sh*t because they're half a mile from the pitch they'll wish they were back at Upton Park.
  • Options
    It is, that's the problem I see, when the BS about atmosphere starts half way through the first season there
  • Options
    depends if the track stays.

Man City adapted the commonwealth games stadium well into a football ground.

But leave the track and it will be an awful place to watch games.
  • Options
    West Ham would have no problem packing the fans in, but like all new stadiums all they will do is dilute the atmostphere which is what will happen at Spurs when they get 60k in their ground.
  • Options
    The track has to stay for me, London can't be left with what will be left at Crystal Palace post 2012. It depends if West Ham can do the right things, the atmosphere is decent in Rome with a track
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]depends if the track stays.

Man City adapted the commonwealth games stadium well into a football ground.

But leave the track and it will be an awful place to watch games.

I think the track HAS to stay.

"The Hammers co-chairman had been worried by the requirement to retain an athletics track and the impact that would have on fans watching football.
    "I was reluctant in the early stages because I have always been against the running track but going down there and seeing it was different," he said.
    "At first, I thought the running track would be prohibitive but, seeing the layout of it, the sightlines are better than Wembley and as good as the Emirates."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a very compact stadium, so distances away from the pitch won't be massive, saying that, you're miles away at Upton Park if you're along the sides
  • Options
    First off it's not a great stadium, it's built on the cheap and most of it's temporary.

Secondly it's nearer to where West Ham originate, so can't be compared to us moving to Kent.

I would be amazed if it has the corporate facilities are as decent as Upton Park, which are going for £100,000 a season (good luck with that one Mr. Gold & Mr. Sullivan!) which is where the money is in football these days. Without knowing much about the stadium I doubt the permanent facilities will be that good. At present the upper tier, which is 75% of capacity, will just be seating with all the food outlets being outside the ground, which is fine for the Olympics but not very practical for football.

Also it's Leyton Orient territory and it's out of order for a larger club to tap in to a smaller club's territory. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It's a very compact stadium, so distances away from the pitch won't be massive, saying that, you're miles away at Upton Park if you're along the sides
    Where did you get that nonsense from?

olympic-stadium_1109414c.jpg
  • Options
    Gold and Sullivan have said they'll move the facilities back into the stadium bowl and extend the roof. It's a pretty great stadium when your inside it, but it has been built so you can dismantled the top tier and keep the lower bowl.

There is no cheap way of getting rid of the athletics track there, if you dig down, you're below the levels of the rivers in the area making the pitch more likely to flood, and you can't just extend the top tier down, it's expensive and you lose the boxes which will be put in.

The track does have to stay, so if West Ham can make it work, then good luck to them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It's a very compact stadium, so distances away from the pitch won't be massive, saying that, you're miles away at Upton Park if you're along the sides

From actually going inside the stadium
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

From actually going inside the stadium
    When was that? The track has only gone down recently and before then you wouldn't have any idea how compact it is.

Personally I think the fans will be a bit far from the pitch.
    stadia_stratford_68_113613a.jpg
  • Options
    About a month ago, when the 60 metre temporary track was laid, thanks to Coca-Cola who sponsor a job here.

It's not a huge stadium compare to Wembley for example, it even feels smaller then the Emirates.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Golden showers comments on the deal.

Well, that's how I read it at first .....(!)
  • Options
    It does look a great stadium but for athletics.

Not buying this compact bit as you still have the running track and the outer bit in blue before you reach the seats.

Was at Crystal Palace Athletics track Saturday for the Grand Prix and from the Cheap seats behind one "Goal" I could hardly see the shot put on the other "goal" area.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]I don't think it would go down well with their fans. I would hate to leave the Valley for some quick me up Stadium in Kent.

I would not even bother thinking about us moving to kent.
    Its never going to happen, theres a lovely stadium we call home, and it is just that home.
    Why move so far away from Charlton?

Theres too many fans - myself included who worked to get the valley back and the last thing anyone wants to see is us leave it.

And whilst im ranting.
    How stupid would it be to move from London to somewhere like kent.
    No offence to any kent people here, but its harldy the capital of England is it.
  • Options
    No need to rant then if its not going to happen?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]No offence to any kent people here, but its harldy the capital of England is it.
    More Charlton fans live in Kent than London.

FACT*

*Maybe.
  • Options
    The issue for us, that'll be easier to get to the Olympic Stadium then the Valley from most of the Thames Gateway, and that's where we suppose to getting our increase in support in the years to come
  • Options
    I heard the women spokesperson on the radio saying that it will essentially be an ATHLETICS stadium but they want it to have other uses as well. It looks quite nice from the pictures shown on here but IF football is going to be played there, whether its W Ham, Orient or Spurs then they should take second billing to any athletics that goes on and so the track must stay.
  • Options
    Of more long term interest to us is the role of AEG (who own the Dome/02)

West Ham is the headline story but AEG will also express interest. If they want a big stadium but they don't get Stratford then they make look at the possibilities of building close one the Dome/02.

Lots of ifs and buts but who knows.
  • Options
    Personally I would like it to be used as a cricket stadium, but as London already has two test venues it won't get a third.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]No offence to any kent people here, but its harldy the capital of England is it.

But Kent did used to be called the "Garden of England".

That was before it was criss-crossed with a traffic grid, and the spaces filled in with Wimpy Homes.
  • Options
    BTW, here's the view from the back of behind a goal in the stadium, like now.

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olympic-stadium-camera-2.php
  • Options
    http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olympic-stadium-camera-2.php