Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hammers to move to Olympic Stadium?

Comments

• Options
    I have walked around the north side of it. The stadium is actually closer to the pitch than it looks. Would be a great Football stadium.
  • Options
    Dont think they will ever really worry about selling the tickets but i cant see the atmosphere ever being like it is at upton park. I like old fashioned stadiums so am not over keen on it but i suppose its progress. You have to have bigger if you want to compete.
  • Options
    What are the chances of West Ham filling the stadium
    Do they have thousands on waiting lists for season tickets?
  • Options
    be a big ground for the Championship
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]What are the chances of West Ham filling the stadium
    Do they have thousands on waiting lists for season tickets?

3 year waiting list
  • Options
    Andy, FoD will tell you that you're wrong, cause he found a nice Photoshop.
  • Options
    Closer to the pitch that hasn't been laid yet? Ever looked around a house and thought an empty room was big, then changed your mind once the furniture was in?

The terracing is circular where as the track is oval, hence the blue section in my first picture which was nicley photoshoped by the architects. The second picture is almost as good as a football pitch will look as the corners are close to the seats. It actually crosses where the track would be so therefore my be larger than league standards, although I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Hehe, I'll return your arse on a plate later
  • Options
    Oh and while we're at it, the pitch area was pretty clealy laid out in the stadium when I visited, and its still as close as you would be in the Chicken run/west stand at Upton Park, which have been miles away for years now.

But tell me I'm wrong, please
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The issue for us, that'll be easier to get to the Olympic Stadium then the Valley from most of the Thames Gateway, and that's where we suppose to getting our increase in support in the years to come

This could be a big problem for us - from September you'll be able to get the Docklands Light Railway from Woolwich Arsenal to the Olympic Park, and high-speed trains from all over Kent now stop there too. The Olympic Stadium is already a landmark on the horizon (it can be clearly seen from Charlton) - and will be even more so once the floodlights go in.

Good luck to them if they get it - hey, they'd actually be coming "home" in a way, moving into what used to be the old Essex borough of West Ham. And it'd be better than AEG turning it into some craphole for American sports. Can't see them liking the running track though...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's wrong with having a running track ........ bit like Brighton's Withdean, with a roof on it? Don't forget your opera glasses.
    Maybe a bit bigger, though!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Stadium is cracking the pitch will not be too far from the stands and would make a great footie stadium how do I know this I walk around inside the stadium least once a mth

Those pics fod don't do it justice

Temporary I don't think so the ability to be adjusted yes

Built on the cheap you must be joking
  • Options
    Bang on NLA, Going to be a great place to watch any sport, hopefully they trial the Diamond League there next year
  • Options
    Why do you think no rugby union clubs has really gone for it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Why do you think no rugby union clubs has really gone for it?

Don't think the sums would add up for them or move from North/West London
  • Options
    I always thought Wasps or London Irish could make it pay
  • Options
    Think there comfy in Reading and Wycombe, West Ham are talking about a rugby club being involved along the line, so it could change
  • Options
    The stadium's only being built because Wembley doesn't have a running track. One of the biggest complaint about the old ground was how far away the fans were from the pitch.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Stadium is cracking the pitch will not be too far from the stands and would make a great forties stadium how do I know this I walk around inside the stadium least once a mth

An amazing stadium indeed. Will look quality when the club adds it's own imput after the olympics.

And Rothko, im sure the man above will agree that the for a ground with the running track, it won't be as far away as people think, the stadum is quite on top of everything.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]The stadium's only being built because Wembley doesn't have a running track. One of the biggest complaint about the old ground was how far away the fans were from the pitch.

How many times do you want to be wrong in a thread? The reason the stadium (and the majority of major sports) is in Stratford, is because the bid focused all the main activity in east London to get government investment in the area, there was a west London option, but it did nothing for regeneration, and anyway Wembley can only hold 60,000 when it's in athletics set up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Stadium is cracking the pitch will not be too far from the stands and would make a great forties stadium how do I know this I walk around inside the stadium least once a mth

An amazing stadium indeed. Will look quality when the club adds it's own imput after the olympics.

And Rothko, im sure the man above will agree that the for a ground with the running track, it won't be as far away as people think, the stadum is quite on top of everything.

You're right Andy, it's not, it surprises you when you walk in, seems to have had the same effect on Brady, Gold and Sullivan
  • Options
    FOD

The olympic site is not just about the stadium,

where in wembley would you have fitted

the basket ball court

the swimming arena

the bike track

the media centre

the olympic village

all needed to be within a stones throw of each other

mate there ios loads going on i am only involved due to the soft drinks market so i dont pretend to know the ins and outs of it all but i have watched it grow from on the site from the first bit of dirt moved to where it is now and hopefully i will have done a god enough job to work there throughout the 2012 olympics and the para olympics righ up close and personal, you are so wrong about your thoughts behind it that you are making some really silly statements.

go on the tour it will get you close enough to see for yourself
  • Options
    Unlike you two I work in the construction industry. If you want I can PM you the number of the guys who did the tender for the Velodrome, which I was the project QS for, and the stadium. Regarding the Olympic stadium being cheap, the services for it were a third cheaper than the Emirates. The fact that you can't sense that is a huge credit to the team behind it.

My point about Wembley is why didn't they build a 90k ground with a track around it? Because the view would have been shite. It's also why only one club in the football league has a running track around it and they're getting rid of it next season when they move in to their new ground.

Wimbledon, Lords and the O2 are being used so why not save £100m in a recession and build Wembley with a track? Things don't need to be a stone throw away from each other, other Olympics have been a bit more spread out.

I think we agree that once the Olympics come around people will be impressed and less skeptical than they are now, I can't wait!
  • Options
    I'm feeling the love on this thread!

Leave it out fellas eh!

Who cares about the Irons anyhoo? (sorry Unc)

& it'll be easier for Addicks to get to Stratford???????? It may well be for some, but I literally live on the bleedin Thames & it ain't easier for me.

It's bad enough having to look over at Essex everyday........I don't wanna go in it if I don't have to!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]I'm feeling the love on this thread!

Leave it out fellas eh!

Who cares about the Irons anyhoo? (sorry Unc)

& it'll be easier for Addicks to get to Stratford???????? It may well be for some, but I literally live on the bleedin Thames & it ain't easier for me.

It's bad enough having to look over at Essex everyday........I don't wanna go in it if I don't have to!!!!!!

Ouch !! ha ha but Essex is beautiful
  • Options
    I worked on the bid, so remember exactly that the IOC wanted a more compact Olympics, with more sports on one site, and when LOCOG have tried to change venues, they've been made to overly justify it to the IOC. So if you look at what London will deliver, a huge amount will happen in and around Startford and docklands, and only existing sites will be used outside that area.

Wembley was never a goer because of land values, the platform for athletics to take place takes 6 months to install, (so no FA cup, play offs or England games at Wembley from Christmas 2011), knocks 25,000 of capacity, no room for a warm up track and another site in Park Royal would have been needed anyway for the village and velodrome and aquatics centre. It was also the wrong side of London and left no legacy for Athletics etc etc.
  • Options
    That's interesting and I imagine it was enjoyable to work on the bid. I still believe that the views from the lower tier will be shite for a football match! The reason for the gap between the Chicken Run and the pitch is due to the masterplan for Upton Park which involved moving the pitch in order to provide more space for the new Chicken Run and prevent a lop sided ground like St. Jame's (Not Exeter's)

Anyway, will you be able to sort me out some tickets?!
  • Options
    west ham sizing up an option to ground share with spurs now

linkety-link
  • Options
    Barry Hearn doesn't like West Ham at the moment

Can't say I blame him. It'd be similar to Arsenal moving back to the area, for us, e.g. to the Millenium/02 site.
  • Options
    I read the other day the Leyton Orient chairman is worried that west ham moving will snuff out Leyton Orient or something.