Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey training with The Gills

Comments

• Options
    Every manager so far this year has chosen not to sign him or offer him what he "thinks" he's worth. Therefore either he has too high an opinion of himself to be "maybe" 4th choice leftback for Charlton or a reserve elsewhere.

In my opinion he's not good enough and other managers in the game tend to agree - he's unsigned!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Every manager so far this year has chosen not to sign him or offer him what he "thinks" he's worth. Therefore either he has too high an opinion of himself to be "maybe" 4th choice leftback for Charlton or a reserve elsewhere.

In my opinion he's not good enough and other managers in the game tend to agree - he's unsigned!

Not true Every manager that has tried to sign have offered what they could afford not what he was worth.

Not one manager agrees with you

even Parky
  • Options
    NLA - nobody has signed him, so none of them think what HE thinks he's worth. Who is to say that what he's been offered isn't the right amount?

You, me or EVERY manager - all 92 of them in the English Leagues + elsewhere who haven't signed him.

He's on a free, YET nobody has signed him.

Simple
  • Options
    think you are being a bit disingenuous here. Managers wanted him but didn't offer what he considered to be reasonable. They may have wanted to offer him more but couldn't due to budget restraints. Do you not think there were players Parky wanted to sign this summer and whom he talked to but he couldn't offer them what they wanted ? That doesn't mean to say they were not worth what they wanted but Parky could only offer what he could within his budget. Like saying Messi wanted 100k pw but because we could only offer him 2k pw then he obviously isn't good enough.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Grant was offered an amount here that TBH was very low and not a reflection of what he should have been offered, i dont think we will miss Basey but to call him park player is a liberty

and does not equate to your first post at all where you said all the managers thought he was not worthy of a deal
  • Options
    supaclive- your original post was about managers not thinking grant was good enough,pardew gave him three years,parky offered another deal,and aberdeen wanted to give him a three years.there are other reasons why he has not sign for anybody yet.but what i do know it has and never was anything to do with money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Grant's not good enough - simple! Come on lads - that's more than a handful of professional football managers who don't think he's good enough - so I don't think they are all wrong.

you never mentioned money
  • Options
    Good enough at the level he wants to be paid - and at this time he remains unsigned, so don't believe everything you read - maybe it was Parky's way of letting him go ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: whartoncafc[/cite].but what i do know it has and never was anything to do with money.

Pretty sure thats all it boils down to.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: whartoncafc[/cite].but what i do know it has and never was anything to do with money.

Pretty sure thats all it boils down to.

I would think there is a big difference between what Pardew offered and what Parky was able to offer hence Grant may have felt he could do better elsewhere.

As said above he was injured serving Charlton so I hope he gets a gig somewhere. He always struck me as having a decent attitude and most of the attributes to be a good player other than pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    average league one player with decent left foot and no pace.......I've played saturdays / sundays with better.

he's clearly know's what he thinks he's worth and he's holding out for it, good luck to him, I'm glad we didn't waste a decent wage on him though.
  • Options
    What Eltham Addick said! Sorry it upsets people but it's a fair assessment!
  • Options
    What Eltham Addick said! Sorry it upsets people but it's a fair assessment!
  • Options
    You two must be some players shame charlton missed you both
  • Options
    The criticism of Basey's pace on here is ridiculous - If you think Basey is slow you obviously haven't seen Francis play - jeez, on saturday the Exeter winger skinned him every time.

At least Basey could deliver a good cross (Swimdon away to name but one) and could take a decent corner.........funny that since he has left we havent scored from one !!
  • Options
    Basey has never been player of the year for anybody. He's without a club - let it lie. Maybe your own liking of him is incorrect.

NLA - although I probably didn't play as many games as a pro as you, I certainly know what I'm talking about and have played with many left backs I consider as good as Basey - including Paul Sturgess and Ben Thatcher who I shared a pitch with for at least 100 times ....
  • Options
    Basey has never been player of the year for anybody. He's without a club - let it lie. Maybe your own liking of him is incorrect.

NLA - although I probably didn't play as many games as a pro as you, I certainly know what I'm talking about and have played with many left backs I consider as good as Basey - including Paul Sturgess and Ben Thatcher who I shared a pitch with for at least 100 times ....
  • Options
    was the pitch that you shared time share? :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]You two must be some players shame charlton missed you both

I said I've played with better, not that I was better (although at his age I'd have certainly given him a run for his money at left back!)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I aint ever said i was a player superclive but you must have been cos the only thing i ever done with ben thatcher was have apunch up with him

speak to parky get a game show us why basey is so poor

funny how so many have had the chance but dont make it..

yet can tell you of loads of players better than someone who did

the reason people dont make footballers is because there is something distinctly lacking in their play the only thing basey is lacking is to offer himself at the right price

Sturgess had a great career didnt he
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find it funny that people who claimed to have played football at a high level think they know best. If that were the case I'd take more notice of Stan Collymore. That I don't is because he speaks out of his arse and hasn't got a clue.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I find it funny that people who claimed to have played football at a high level think they know best. If that were the case I'd take more notice of Stan Collymore. That I don't is because he speaks out of his arse and hasn't got a clue.

I find it funny that people classify an entire group based on a handful of examples (or even one example). What you are really saying is that Stan Collymore (who has played at a higher level) speaks out of his arse, therefore all people who have played at a higher level speak out of their arse.

People who have played at a higher level generally (note 'generally') have a better insight into the game - that's why they played at a higher level. But not all of them. The fact that Stan Collymore (or whoever) may speak out of his arse doesn't devalue the opinion of all others who have played at a higher level.

In the same way, there will be individuals who haven't played at a higher level who have perfectly good and sensible opinions. But not all of them.

In the words of William Blake .. "to generalise is to be an idiot".
  • Options
    Dave,

I was replying to Supaclive who said 'NLA - although I probably didn't play as many games as a pro as you, I certainly know what I'm talking about and have played with many left backs I consider as good as Basey - including Paul Sturgess and Ben Thatcher who I shared a pitch with for at least 100 times ....'

who is saying he played pro football and, so he says, knows what he is talking about. I was using Stan Collymore as an example of another pro footballer who doesn't know what he is talking about. In this instance I disagree with Supaclive whom, in my opinion, doesn't know what he is talking about. Doesn't make me right and him wrong or me wrong and him right. It's just opinion.

In the words of Large Addick ..... 'Whatever'.
  • Options
    Reading between the lines it looks to me as though he hasn't been offered a contract as a first choice left back anywhere, certainly not at the wage he wants and is being offered squad player money which could be very low. Must say, i'm in agreement with the 'not quite good enough' camp although i wish him all the best. He may look outstanding on a park pitch against lower opposition but i doubt it. I don't go with the fact that pro players are that much better, it's just that the fitness and training makes them stand out so much whenever they play with us mere mortals. I think generally though it;s true to say that if you have got what it takes, you will make it. It's not luck.
  • Options
    Whether we think he is a decent player or a poor player, is just a matter of opinion.

In the right team, with the right players around him, there's every chance Basey will be a good fit and progress.
    In the wrong team, he won't look the part.

Now if I was Basey, by now I'd be getting a bit concerned that I'm missing the boat. I'd be wanting to get myself attached to a club even as a squad player to keep myself connected to the Pro game - which still gives me every chance to prove I'm worth a bigger contract and a bigger opportunity.

Even if I have to accept something like £800 pw for now. There's not many 21 year olds on that kind of money in the UK, generally.

IMO it would be better to do that, than slip into non-league - even though it can be done, it's a much tougher climb back.

Good luck though, Grant.
  • Options
    It all comes down to a matter of opinion - all I am saying is that no manager feels he's a first choice player for their team - or if they do, they certainly don't feel he's worth whatever Grant feels he is worth!
  • Options
    doubt if he's even being offered £800. Heard that when Elliot broke into our first team a few years back he was on a basic £200! (before appearance money etc etc)
  • Options
    800 was the offer
  • Options
    Perhaps Harrison Dunk is our potential Basey squad replacement?

Kinsella said the on trial youngster was "excellent" against Palace stiffs.
    Henry will be disappointed.
  • Options
    The margins are very narrow between success and failure in football.

Some years back Gillingham had a forward called Peter Beadle who was on the verge of being loaned to Margate as surplus to requirements when a first team forward got injured. The loan was cancelled, Beadle broke into the side and did well enough to persuade Spurs to pay reasonable money for him.

I'm sure Grant will make it somewhere but I don't think his longterm future is as a left back.