Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey training with The Gills

Comments

• Options
    I was told by someone who knows Basey that he was on 4k a week with us, obviously this could be false/exaggerated but if it is the case then it would explain why the reported 800 a week was turned down.

Remember it was Pardew who was the boss when Basey signed his new deal, therefore 4k a week is perhaps not so unrealistic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]The margins are very narrow between success and failure in football.

Some years back Gillingham had a forward called Peter Beadle who was on the verge of being loaned to Margate as surplus to requirements when a first team forward got injured. The loan was cancelled, Beadle broke into the side and did well enough to persuade Spurs to pay reasonable money for him.

I'm sure Grant will make it somewhere but I don't think his longterm future is as a left back.

Peter Beardsley was another who had trials at quite a few lower league clubs - including I think the Gills and was rejected at nearly all of them before finally getting a contract with Carlisle, from there he went to play in Canada, was then signed by Man U who as far as I recall never played him before releasing him, back to Canada he went, he started scoring goals and then he ended up back at Newcastle where he'd been a youth team player. The rest is history.

I wonder how close he came to quitting the game?
  • Options
    let me first say this as someone who knows grant personally wheather i think he is a good player or not is besides the point,having read all the crap on this thread i
    think it is time to put the record straight.

fact 1. the 4k a week he was supposed to be on is laughable, a 1/4 of that amount is closer to the truth.
    fact 2. at the end of last season grant was told how well he had done and the club will be offering him a new contract.
    fact 3. in the middle of july grant had the offer to go to aberdeen,due to the lack of contract talks at charlton grant was advised to take up the offer, after a successful trial grant was offered a 3 year deal which was dependent on aberdeen putting a couple players out on loan to free up some money in their budget unfortunately for grant aberdeen were unable to do this.
    fact 4. 5 days before the season started he was told there would be no contract offered at charlton, leaving him gutted has he had been there for the last 14 years.
    fact 5. grant was only training with gillingham to keep himself fit and no other reason...
    summary- if grant was not going to be offered a contract why was he not told this in may at the end of the season.Therefore giving him time to sort out his future e;sewhere as there was intrerest from other clubs at that time.what a way to treat someone who had three bad injurys two of which were career threatening and has been at the club for 14 years.
    finally my thoughts, grant has been well and truly shafted by charlton,but with his ability and the right manager and of course a little bit of luck i have a feeling grant will have the last laugh.......
  • Options
    I don't think that Grant has been "shafted" by Charlton at all. It's just a very unfortunate consequence of our current financial position. Some tough decisions have had to be made and Grant has been a casualty of one of those. I really hope that IF he goes on to be successful elsewhere that he won't be "laughing" at anybody.
  • Options
    Bottom line is that Basey is not quite good enough to hold down a 1st team place with us as potential promotion chasers. We are in an odd situation with Youga. Will he stay or will he not? (or will he ever get bleedin' fit!) In football you can't get too sentimental. IMO Jackson is a more mobile and better player than Basey and will do a job until the Youga maddness is sorted.
    Hope Basey finds a club and comes back to haunt us one day. Decent bloke.
  • Options
    He's not been shafted, that's just modern football. He's a decent player that wouldn't even be a reserve. If Liverpool came sniffing he'd be off so why should ANY club, especially one in financial difficulty struggling to reduce each year's loss, sign a player just to keep him going. He wouldn't play and would therefore surely be better off elsewhere.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: whartoncafc[/cite]let me first say this as someone who knows grant personally wheather i think he is a good player or not is besides the point,having read all the crap on this thread i
    think it is time to put the record straight.

fact 1. the 4k a week he was supposed to be on is laughable, a 1/4 of that amount is closer to the truth.
    fact 2. at the end of last season grant was told how well he had done and the club will be offering him a new contract.
    fact 3. in the middle of july grant had the offer to go to aberdeen,due to the lack of contract talks at charlton grant was advised to take up the offer, after a successful trial grant was offered a 3 year deal which was dependent on aberdeen putting a couple players out on loan to free up some money in their budget unfortunately for grant aberdeen were unable to do this.
    fact 4. 5 days before the season started he was told there would be no contract offered at charlton, leaving him gutted has he had been there for the last 14 years.
    fact 5. grant was only training with gillingham to keep himself fit and no other reason...
    summary- if grant was not going to be offered a contract why was he not told this in may at the end of the season.Therefore giving him time to sort out his future e;sewhere as there was intrerest from other clubs at that time.what a way to treat someone who had three bad injurys two of which were career threatening and has been at the club for 14 years.
    finally my thoughts, grant has been well and truly shafted by charlton,but with his ability and the right manager and of course a little bit of luck i have a feeling grant will have the last laugh.......[/quote]

Shafted by Charlton? got to be kidding me this is a business and Grant doesn't make the cut. As for the contract talks I no and so would you if you knew him that he was offerd a contract that was around 1k a week and he didn't think that acceptable. He's got a good left foot but regardless of whether the player has been at the club for 14 years or 14 minutes for too long over the past few years we've kept on to players that wouldn't push us forward and imo what we have at left back/wing now is better than what we had with Grant.
  • Options
    And didn't Aberdeen just sign a new left back on a long term deal too?...
  • Options
    whartoncafc please wish Grant my best wishes, and I think there are many on here that do the same.

It's a shame if he was led to believe that he was going to be given a contract. Personally I doubt Murray ever told him he'd definitely get one, maybe Parky did. As he tried at Aberdeen, and we signed JJ after he took a drop in wages, things change in football and do anywhere in life. Whatever the truth is he's been paid excellently by the club, and as it should be it's up to him to prove himself.

I'm gutted he's not at the club, as I believe he's the one who'd add set-piece and open play assists. Basically if he's good enough, which all comes down to attitude as he has enough talent to be an excellent center half, then he'll get a career. Ultimately Basey doesn't deserve anything more than the national average wage, so there's no point griping about what should be done or others have been given. He was very lucky to be over-paid like 99% of Charlton players for the last few years. Sometimes he didn't show the grit and determination required of a pro, now he'll have to.
  • Options
    Basey record
    2007–08 appr 8 goals 1 !! thats better than most of our so called strikers !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not better than super Akpo though.
  • Options
    On trial at Doncaster according to today's Current Bun!
  • Options
    Heard today that him and Parky did not get on well and a lot of people are surprised at the way Charlton treated Basey. Apparatnly they more or less told him to stop coming in for training during pre season.

I guess it is not really that surprising.
  • Options
    Maybe his attitude wasn't 100% - he was certainly carrying some timber at the Welling game so Parky might see that as a sign of weakness that he didn't look after himself whilst injured! He was also very good mates with Nicky Weaver so there may have been an element of his social life that didn't go down too well

Just a thought abd naybe totally wrong.

FWIW I really liked Grant, met him several times at golf days and he was a nice enough guy. I also think he is a good enough squad player to have around and certainly offers something extra on set pieces
  • Options
    While Grant was with us very few reviews of his play seemed to suggest that he was a poor defender but now he’s gone, he’s judged by many as rubbish. I think it’s fair to say that he played in a defence apt to leak goals, but that didn’t make him a bad player. Hudson, McCarthy and a queue of loanees populated our woeful backline but now play at a higher level. As a full back your main job is to stop wingers getting crosses in and he largely did that. Any defender gets done for pace occasionally. What he did give the team is leadership qualities and that will be sorely missed. Bearing in mind he is said to see himself as a central defender, we have replaced him with a 37 year old and the Doc who would make Basey’s grandmother look quick, on higher wages. Neither has his crossing or deadball abilities. He's gone and our defence is still crap. IMHO he is a big loss for the future CAFC sides, along with several other youngsters that Parky has discarded.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]While Grant was with us very few reviews of his play seemed to suggest that he was a poor defender but now he’s gone, he’s judged by many as rubbish. I think it’s fair to say that he played in a defence apt to leak goals, but that didn’t make him a bad player. Hudson, McCarthy and a queue of loanees populated our woeful backline but now play at a higher level. As a full back your main job is to stop wingers getting crosses in and he largely did that. Any defender gets done for pace occasionally. What he did give the team is leadership qualities and that will be sorely missed. Bearing in mind he is said to see himself as a central defender, we have replaced him with a 37 year old and the Doc who would make Basey’s grandmother look quick, on higher wages. Neither has his crossing or deadball abilities. He's gone and our defence is still crap. IMHO he is a big loss for the future CAFC sides, along with several other youngsters that Parky has discarded.

I don't think many judge him as rubbish. He only seemed to play out of necessity when others were injured. Who would he replace in our First XI now? He could be backup left back, but given Solly can play there and at right back, was it worth keeping him on?

I would've liked to have kept him to see if he came good in a couple of years, but we simply can't afford to take that gamble anymore. It's not enough to be 2nd or 3rd best in any position.
  • Options
    harveys gardener...At last someone who talks a bit of sense.....
  • Options
    wharton, i appreciaet it must be very difficult to read boards such as this and see perceived criticism when it is a close friend, family etc. One of the difficult things of the modern age.

I think in hindsight it seems to boil down to the fact that the manager just didn't fancy him enough. Its not overly surprising, reading these forums you can see ability wise Grant splits people down the middle.

But whether he was going to be offered a contract or not, i get the impression, rightly or wrongly, Grant was happy to plod along here. At his age now, he needs to be getting regular starting football week in week out under his belt. I don't think he was ever going to get that here this season. I don't know how pro active he has been in finding a new club this summer, but i think he should have been fully on the case as soon as his injury cleared up.

The fact he hasn't secured anything 7 games into the season suggests him and his advisors could have done more on that front, or he simply isn't that well fancied.

lastly, though people may write on here things you don't agree with, please don't allow that to alter the view that whether people rated Grant or not, everyone would hope things work out well for him and that he will be fondly remembered by many.
  • Options
    Hear hear Akfka! Good luck Grant, it's down to you know.
  • Options
    Good luck Grant, i thought he was a good squad player but with Youga being first choice when fit and having Jackson who can play there i dont blame parky for not re-signing Grant a good player but if wanted more in money or assurances then we were willing no biggy, i hope whoever he goes on to he can show what a good footballer he is. in comparison i used to think Bale was like Basey and look how much he has come on since, always thought too slow etc but now actually has a bit of pace and is doing very well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still clubless I assume?!
  • Options
    Looks like it but he will make a career out of football

A mate of mine who has played with both Grant and Jamie O hara seems to think it is just luck that sees O'Hara playing premier league football and Basey not.

One of the best left foots we never saw the best of
  • Options
    I hope that Grant gets something soon, I certainly believe that he is good enough to play at Div1 level. There was an interview with some other players out of contract and the problem now for players like Basey is that keeping themselves fit is not like being part of a club and part of their heavy training. So Basey will not hasd a proper pre season and is now falling behind with a lack of match practice. On top of that, someone above mentions him carrying a bit of weight, which is natural given the injury he has come back from.

If its true that he feels shafted by Charlton, then presumably there is no option of training with the club, but it would be hoped that he can find some club to help get him back to playing fitness.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    saw grant at the weekend,looking very trim says he never felt fitter.he has spent a lot of time in the gym,a championship club rang his agent,they wanted to have a look at him spent a week there training,they want him back this week as they have arranged a game behind closed doors for him to play in..watch this space
  • Options
    He has the ability to play in the championship, but for my money needed to shed a few pounds to increase his mobility about the pitch.

Does make me wonder though if he would've considered working this hard to get as trim as you say if he had been given a 2 year deal by Charlton. That's not neccesarily a reflection on Grant, but on how comfortable and out of touch some players have got from the economical realities that are out there.

Those Range Rover Sport's don't pay for themselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: whartoncafc[/cite]saw grant at the weekend,looking very trim says he never felt fitter.he has spent a lot of time in the gym,a championship club rang his agent,they wanted to have a look at him spent a week there training,they want him back this week as they have arranged a game behind closed doors for him to play in..watch this space

Wasn't he at Doncaster last week.

They play a nice passing footballing game and I think that would suit someone with his brain.

Wish him luck - genuinely hope it works out for him
  • Options
    Signed on loan till January with Barnet
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Signed on loan till January with Barnet

bloody hell, he's better than that. Hopefully a few clubs will watch him and he'll get a better club elsewhere in the new year. Good luck Grant.
  • Options
    I have a soft spot for the Bees and have got over to see them a few times.Nice little club hope he does well for them.

This can't be a loan because he is unattached so must be a short term contract.
  • Options
    No he's NOT better than Barnet. And that was my WHOLE point on this!