Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis

Comments

• Options
    School holidays lmao I haven't had those for 6 years!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]i am open to him improving though solly had a solid start and was dropped more a parky issue than a Francis one I guess!

Agree with this.
  • Options
    Its all well and good saying not to criticise blah blah, and i'm one who would NEVER slag off a player during a game.

But in my opinion, he was poor against orient and he was equally poor on Saturday. It may be a match fitness thing, i don't know, but a lot of simple stuff didn't work out for him and i'm not sure if that is fitness based.

I'm convinced though that he is a much better player than what we have seen so far, and certainly willing to be patient with him.

But if people are looking to bash parkinson with a stick, then its hard to disagree with the Solly argument if Francis's performances don't improve in the next few games and he still holds the spot.

Parkinson has made the call, this is my number one right back. Lets hope he has called it right and it doesn't prove to be a waste of funds.
  • Options
    I also think that it has put un needed pressure on both Solly and Francis and that was my biggest problem with the decision,

Francis had to play at the same Level that Chris Solly did against Bournemouth that would have been some performance by Francis if he did

Francis Set up the first goal against Orient but did little else so he never reached that faultless performance that was required

Francis also failed to impress on Saturday how he made it into the N Power team is beyond me but it is about opinions.

The vast majority of people on here thought that he had a poor game but poor compared to what

Poor compared to Sollys performance 2 weeks prior thats what and it is unfair to make that comparison but it was always going to be made

The biggest thing for me though is Solly wont be in the same form of fitness or actual form due to him getting 2 mins of play in the last 2 games

it was a poor decision by Parkinson he had chose his FB for the bournemouth game and he had a stormer

Francis is the seasoned pro and he should have played at LB in the cup not Solly

Francis should have been Sub against Orient and if Solly had proved what some thought prior to bournemouth that he was not ready then Francis should have came in against Oldham

If Solly had coped in both games well and not looked out of depth then Francis should be made to wait his chance

I believe that the decision to play Francis was based on the fact that he was a new signing , a Parkinson Signing because he had highlighted pre season that Solly was not ready or wont be ready in his opinion.

Solly then showed that he is ready and Parky was stuck and in my opinion he made the wrong decision

Saying this i think Francis could and should be a good player for us i just think that all of this questioning is down to the fact Parky picked him over Solly and that is unfair on both Francis and Solly

I may not have worded my criticism of the decision rightly against Orient but what i meant is now happening
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Quite happy to give the bloke a chance. He was Southends POTY so there has to be something there.

I'm not looking for a scapegoat, I just had to point out that he had a very bad game. I did say, I hope it's just an off day.

We shall see, I am still hopeful of good things from Francis.

From where I was (back of Northstand) he looked like Herman The German From Iceland, pity he didn't play like him!
  • Options
    One of the problems was Solly played Saturday then Tuesday, and Parky didn't want him to then start on Friday.

Solly wouldn't have played Tuesday against Shrewsbury if Matt Fry had been fit, Parky has said he had wanted Fry to play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]One of the problems was Solly played Saturday then Tuesday, and Parky didn't want him to then start on Friday.

Solly wouldn't have played Tuesday against Shrewsbury if Matt Fry had been fit, Parky has said he had wanted Fry to play.

Solly didn't play that well on the Tuesday either, which didn't help his cause.

I do think he deserved to keep his place overall, mind you - but Francis height was useful late on vs Orient and off the back of a good and well earnt win you can see why parky didn't feel the need to change it.

It'll be interesting to see if he does similarly on Saturday - my gut feeling is he'll opt for Francis on the basis Huddersfield away would be a tough ask on Solly (personally I'd be reasonably comfortable letting him play but I think Parky will play it safe). I think if Francis is poor next week then Solly will come back for the following week.
  • Options
    Solly played Left back in the Tuesday game and he shouldnt have Francis should have played there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Solly played Left back in the Tuesday game and he shouldnt have Francis should have played there

Maybe, but Francis had the better game of the two, in fact he was the only one of the back 4 to come out with much credit at all. Solly made a horrible error that cost us the 4th goal - playing out of postion was no excuse for that mistake.

Like I say, I'm not saying Solly necesarilly deserved to be dropped, just pointing out the difference in form between him and Francis wasn't quite as clear cut, going into the Orient game, as some are making out.
  • Options
    As a youngster like parky keeps saying solly is do you feel that it was a better place to put Solly or Francis a seasoned pro

if i was looking to shore up a defence i wouldnt put a player that i had highlighted as a weak point out of postion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]As a youngster like parky keeps saying solly is do you feel that it was a better place to put Solly or Francis a seasoned pro

if i was looking to shore up a defence i wouldnt put a player that i had highlighted as a weak point out of postion

Dunno NLA, I saw Solly play very well at left back at Wallsall last season and he played 2 or 3 other games there. I don't know enough about Francis, but he may have never played there before. If that's the case then you could argue Solly is more experienced as a left back. If you factor in that it was also Francis's debut and he had had a very patchy preseason, perhaps asking him to play out of position, on top of finding his feet with new defensive partners and having barely kicked ball for 3 months was bit too much to expect.

I think Solly has just been a bit unlucky in all this - had Fry been fit, Solly probably wouldn't have played and then probably would have started vs Orient so Francis didn't have to play twice in 4 days. As it was Solly had to play and it was obviously felt that Francis playing 2 in 4 days was better than Solly playing 3 in 6 days. We then put in a fine rear-guard effort (in which Francis played his part) and won the game That meant Francis got lucky with the old addage 'dont change a winning team'. That could so easily have been Solly but it wasn't. I don't think it's a sign of Parky deliberately overlooking youngsters or not trusting Solly, it's just a product of circumstance - shit happens sometimes.
  • Options
    see i see it as parky wanting his man in his place and that man is francis i can see the same happening to waggy if we sign benson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]see i see it as parky wanting his man in his place and that man is francis i can see the same happening to waggy if we sign benson
    But we have to sign another striker. We'd have the same problem whoever we signed unless we went for a cheap option as back up.

Wagstaff's scored twice, set up one, been given number 7 and a 2 year contract. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start plenty of games this season. Solly always was 2nd choice and only on a 1 year deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Solly played Left back in the Tuesday game and he shouldnt have Francis should have played there

spot on, senior pro and all that. Solly's performance, although not poor but not great, gave Parky a reason to drop him for Francis. Well engineered by Parky in my opinion. Waggy will be out soon for Martin or another, you can bet your bottom dollar on that.
  • Options
    Well that's the cynical view NLA. Personally I don't see much evidence for it, but I've no more idea what goes on in Parky's head than anyone else on here.

All I would say is Parky has given as much opportunity to our younger players as anyone. Last season, before the Millwall away game, people were trying to think of just about anyway they could to get Solly out of the team, including moving our best player (Semedo) out of midfield in order to play him left back. Parky showed faith in Solly that the fans didn't seem to have and played him. Millwall targetted him and maybe it turned out to be an error from Parky but no one can say he was unwilling to give Solly responsibility.

Likewise he's shown a good deal of faith in Wagstaff imo, more than he's maybe deserved based on his first team performances alone and he's starting to re-pay him a bit now.

I think Parky wants a squad of options and I think he wants every single player that's at the club now and he'll use them all as and when he feels it's right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]see i see it as parky wanting his man in his place and that man is francis i can see the same happening to waggy if we sign benson
    But we have to sign another striker. We'd have the same problem whoever we signed unless we went for a cheap option as back up.

Wagstaff's scored twice, set up one, been given number 7 and a 2 year contract. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start plenty of games this season. Solly always was 2nd choice and only on a 1 year deal.

mate i aint saying it is wrong far from it i am just saying taht this will have to happen and we need to get used to it, but it is going to cause some upset and i hope it doesnt upset the balance of the team..

If it doesnt work quickly i can see it being the end of Parky if it works it will all be forgotten it is a bold move by Parky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

spot on, senior pro and all that. Solly's performance, although not poor but not great, gave Parky a reason to drop him for Francis. Well engineered by Parky in my opinion. Waggy will be out soon for Martin or another, you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

Can I just ask, if Solly really is clearly superior to Francis, why you think Parky would want to deliberately weaken his team? Surely, unless he's had a major fall out with the player (which there no evidence he has with Solly) that would just be a recipe for getting himself sacked?
  • Options
    Exiled

i was really annoyed with the Solly situation because it was telegraphed and obvious that it would happen and it shouldnt have

This one is harder we are screaming out for a different sort of striker than what we have and for us to get that player someone will have to drop

The solly scenerio was wholly unjustified
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    The solly scenerio was wholly unjustified

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one NLA, I've already put forward a perfectly reasnobale reason why Solly may have been left out against Orient. You and Large may disagree with the decision but that doesn't make it wholy unjustified - Parky doesn't always make the right call but I do sense he always puts thought into his decisions and has a fair reason for most of his actions.
  • Options
    We may both be wrong thats the idea of a forum

I dont think that he doesnt think about his decisions i think he is a real thinker sort of manager

i just think on this occasion with Solly he had made his mind up before Sollys performance angainst Bournemouth and i could have predicted what was happening to Solly before it did..

i even commented on the cup tie thread that i thought it was a bad thing to do

The reason i say it was wholly unjustified is players should be picked with regards to how they play and solly was outstanding since that outstanding performance he has had 2 mins in his position
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Wagstaff's scored twice, set up one, been given number 7 and a 2 year contract. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start plenty of games this season.

Oh dear thats rings some bells. I dont fancy his chances much this season then.
  • Options
    lol.
  • Options
    this guy is crap at right back... he is yet to have a good game in Charlton Red.

why does Parky love this guy?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]this guy is crap at right back... he is yet to have a good game in Charlton Red.

why does Parky love this guy?

Don't think he really does.I'm guessing Solly will be back when fit again.Southend were having a boot sale and he was going cheap.Worth a punt i suppose for the price we paid.
  • Options
    He looked much better against Dagenham, hopefully he can improve a bit more and he'll be fine.
  • Options
    i thought he done well on saturday and i like him
  • Options
    I think he is okay, but with his size sometimes he looks a bit awkward when dealing with the ball.

I agree he has been improving game on game though
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: arthur[/cite]He looked much better against Dagenham, hopefully he can improve a bit more and he'll be fine.[/quote]

I would have looked like a football god against Dagenham, Francis is a pro footballer, he should get the basics right, he cannot pass the ball, how many times did he pick the wrong pass and put his teammates under pressue? his positioning is all over the place, in the first half he looked oK, but thats because D+R did not attack and put him under pressure, as soon as they got about him he fell apart like a cheap watch, Francis should be prosecuted under the trade descriptions act. One of the worst defenders to play for us since Peter Shaw. In short a joke.
  • Options
    I think he was one of our better players Saturday and people seem to have it in for him regardless. He's the new whipping boy.
    He had a shaky start but he's getting better. If you ask me Butler , Abbott and Mccormack deserve as much criticism if not more for their less than sparkling starts.
  • Options
    Butler??