Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Francis

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Butler??

Benson - sorry
  • Options
    Were you thinking name like a fag erm lambert and butler lol!
  • Options
    Probably. Do we have a Hedges in the squad ?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]One of the worst defenders to play for us since Peter Shaw. In short a joke.

Hang on a minute. Your memory is playing serious tricks with you. Admittedly mine is being greatly assisted by Colin Cameron and Wikipedia, but you have unwittingly reminded us what a bunch of muppets can always be found among Charlton fans.

What you remember I suppose is that Peter Shaw was mercilessly booed by a section of Charlton fans. This was in the 1978/9 season, when a lot of things went wrong. Peter Shaw had been plucked from non-league football at the end of the previous season. He was just 22. In the game against Oldham when the booing reached a crescendo, I remember he threw up in the goalmouth. I was ashamed to be a Charlton fan. I expect the booers are the fathers of the Mooney booers....

Anyway, you forgot what happened next. Peter Shaw showed that he had great character and went on to be come a very good defender, especially after Mike Bailey took over. He was a key member of the 1980/81 promotion winning team. He was in the heart of the defence in an epic FA Cup tie at Ipswich when they were 1st Division leaders. We took 5,000, and it was a fantastic defensive performance (Les Berry broke his nose after half an hour, and we only had one sub, a midfielder) . Peter Shaw was injured on 21st March,there was a question about the diagnosis, and he never played for us again.

Worst defender? Not even close. And the booers dont know jack.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]One of the worst defenders to play for us since Peter Shaw. In short a joke.

Hang on a minute. Your memory is playing serious tricks with you. Admittedly mine is being greatly assisted by Colin Cameron and Wikipedia, but you have unwittingly reminded us what a bunch of muppets can always be found among Charlton fans.

What you remember I suppose is that Peter Shaw was mercilessly booed by a section of Charlton fans. This was in the 1978/9 season, when a lot of things went wrong. Peter Shaw had been plucked from non-league football at the end of the previous season. He was just 22. In the game against Oldham when the booing reached a crescendo, I remember he threw up in the goalmouth. I was ashamed to be a Charlton fan. I expect the booers are the fathers of the Mooney booers....

Anyway, you forgot what happened next. Peter Shaw showed that he had great character and went on to be come a very good defender, especially after Mike Bailey took over. He was a key member of the 1980/81 promotion winning team. He was in the heart of the defence in an epic FA Cup tie at Ipswich when they were 1st Division leaders. We took 5,000, and it was a fantastic defensive performance (Les Berry broke his nose after half an hour, and we only had one sub, a midfielder) . Peter Shaw was injured on 21st March,there was a question about the diagnosis, and he never played for us again.

Worst defender? Not even close. And the booers dont know jack.

And this just goes to show that regardless of how good or bad our team is a section of Charlton fans would still pick one out to abuse. Sadly they cant help it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I think he was one of our better players Saturday and people seem to have it in for him regardless. He's the new whipping boy.
    He had a shaky start but he's getting better. If you ask me Butler , Abbott and Mccormack deserve as much criticism if not more for their less than sparkling starts.

Nail on the head . People have it in for him so regardless of what he does he'll be a scapegoat
  • Options
    We took 8000 to Ipswich.Best match I saw Peter Shaw play was Colchester away .Layer Road was ankle deep in mud.I never booed him but Peter Shaw makes Llera look like
    Beckenbauer.This booing buisness I do not understand.Aizlewood used to get so much stick at first but he improved tremendously and became our best player.Let's hope some of the new players go the same way as Mark.I for one will support every Charlton player that is genuinly trying his best.Peter Shaw did try his best but unfortunately had no ball control.
  • Options
    If a players isn't good enough then don't blame him blame the manager.
    If the player is lazy and is not putting in the effort then in my opinion your entitled to give him stick.
    Ive only ever done it to one player and that was Amdy Faye. THE worst player i have ever seen in a Charlton shirt, he thought he could turn up , take the money and hide on the pitch in front of 27,000 fans. An Utter disgrace.
    Simon Francis may not be Paolo Maldini but at least he puts in 100% effort and if that's not good enough it's down to the manager who picked him and signed him originally.
    Get off his back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]Peter Shaw did try his best but unfortunately had no ball control.

Well its a long time ago, but I remember him as becoming far more cultured than Les Berry, who was surely much more a Liera type.
    But you're right, Aizlewood was another, and Lawrie Madden.

Was it 8,000? It was a hell of a turnout for sure. The A12 was a sea of red and white. Thats what the FA Cup used to be about...
  • Options
    i dont blame Francis for playing like crap in Charlton Red, i blame parky for putting too much faith in him. I hope Solly gets fit soon because Solly outclasses Francis in so many categories ( speed, offensive awareness, heart (Solly cares about CAFC), distribution. ) Francis is probably better in the air on offense and defense but his positioning kills our back four.

When Dailly returns, he will help bring stability to a back 4 that really needs a clean sheet!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great memories.There were so many coaches.That match underlined what potential our club has.Our normal home attendance was 5000.We beat a very good Fulham team at Craven Cottage in the fourth round.They had Tony Gale and Gordon Davies.Hales was brilliant that day.Ipswich had one of the best English teams ever.Muhren,Thijjsen,Brazil,
    Wark,Butcher,Mariner,Mills and the rest.But we were not disgraced and Charlton done us proud.Our support was fantastic.I remember Robbo had a good match.Such a pity the FA
    Cup has been reduced to what it is now.
    Lawrie Madden was very mundane for us but when he left he played many years for Sheffield Wednesday in the then First Division.
  • Options
    I think Ipswich was a 5,000 away crowd.....anyway, I think Francis had his best game on Saturday, long may it continue....I was a serious doubter.
  • Options
    I was one of the biggest critics of Francis some games back, although I did add, that in fairness he needs to be given more time, as he hadn't had a pre season.

However, I have absolutely no doubt that he has improved with every game and is certainly now no better/worse than the others.

I think we should lay off him.
  • Options
    Well Prague, I have to say that Peter Shaw is the worst Charlton defender I have ever seen. I never booed him, just felt sorry for the guy who was so out of his depth. Yes he improved but not that much. For the record Churchill was a poor midfielder, I could fill up a page of poor Charlton strikers and Frank Reed gets the wooden spoon for goalies but to be fair he was only Willie Duff's reserve.
    Meanwhile, Francis is starting to play well. He is looking to play short passes in to Martin and Racon. I love it when we keep the ball on the ground. Anyinsah can play a bit as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]I think Ipswich was a 5,000 away crowd.....anyway, I think Francis had his best game on Saturday, long may it continue....I was a serious doubter.
    Could have been 5000.Long time ago now.But I remember saying that our away crowd at the Ipswich Match was better than our usual home attendance.
    Anyway Ill be backing Francis tomorrow to carry on his improvement.I did fault his positioning in the Daggers second goal but on seeing it on cafctv It seems Doherty could have cut it out and of course Fry was at fault for getting skinned.
  • Options
    He's improving all the time. He gets forward and can deliver a cross. His size makes him look a little awkward. Think he will prove to be a good signing.
  • Options
    Francis hasn't been getting grief at matches, all we've had is a few people (myself included) saying that they're not convinced so far on here.

He has improved and he's got a decent cross on him but I'm still not convinced by his positioning and distribution.

Will I get behind him on match day? Yes
    Will I feel free to voice my opinions on him on a fans messageboard? Yes.

As long as he doesn't get the treatment that Mooney got last season then I've got not problem with peoptle commenting on him here. Match day is the day for blind optimism, this place is the place for sober (or not) analysis of our strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: arthur[/cite]He looked much better against Dagenham, hopefully he can improve a bit more and he'll be fine.

I would have looked like a football god against Dagenham, Francis is a pro footballer, he should get the basics right, he cannot pass the ball, how many times did he pick the wrong pass and put his teammates under pressue? his positioning is all over the place, in the first half he looked oK, but thats because D+R did not attack and put him under pressure, as soon as they got about him he fell apart like a cheap watch, Francis should be prosecuted under the trade descriptions act. One of the worst defenders to play for us since Peter Shaw. In short a joke.

You are confusing his previous preformances with the one against Dagenham. Bad positionning and bad passing would describe his previous performances quite well but he was greatly improved on Saturday. I admit it was not difficult for him to improve but most people spotted that he did.
  • Options
    Francis will always suffer because of the way he was put into the team at the expense of a youth product unfairly.

This put pressure on him from the off to perform and that was un needed pressure. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be great but I reckon he could turn into an ok signing.

That said I wish solly was playing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]Francis hasn't been getting grief at matches, all we've had is a few people (myself included) saying that they're not convinced so far on here.

He has improved and he's got a decent cross on him but I'm still not convinced by his positioning and distribution.

Will I get behind him on match day? Yes
    Will I feel free to voice my opinions on him on a fans messageboard? Yes.

As long as he doesn't get the treatment that Mooney got last season then I've got not problem with peoptle commenting on him here. Match day is the day for blind optimism, this place is the place for sober (or not) analysis of our strengths and weaknesses.

He has with people who sit around me. any slight mistake he makes the comments start and thats not the case for the rest of the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]I hope Solly gets fit soon because Solly outclasses Francis in so many categories ( speed, offensive awareness, heart (Solly cares about CAFC)

is this the same Solly who when asked in the matchday program-who did Charlton beat to win their only FA Cup ? responded " How many years ago was that?" when told in 1947 responded "No idea. Any clues? " when told it was a team relegated from the prem last year guessed portsmouth

i would have thought a youngster who has been at the club since the age of 12 would have a bit more idea about our history to be honest but then again it's only a job
  • Options
    Difficult for any full back to play a good passing game when the midfield is 60 yards away. Can't believe this guy is singled out for stick when there are pub team players in the same team (ie Abbott and Costello) and a non-existent midfield.

Francis will be the last of our problems tonight..
  • Options
    Francis was better against D&R but he still fails to impress. Positioning is woeful as is his passing. When fit I hope Solly gets another chance. At the moment Francis is a shoe in with no other options, maybe that is the problem. At the moment I'm unimpressed.
  • Options
    Southend mate said that he was booed at there place, yet won player of the year!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]One of the worst defenders to play for us since Peter Shaw. In short a joke.[/quote]

Worst defender? Not even close. And the booers dont know jack.[/quote]

No, what I remember is that Peter Shaw was an appaling defender, so he a had one or two good games for us, but on the whole he was very bad and the worst defemder I have seen wearing the shirt.
    Also what gives you the right to say that fans that boo know jack, football is all about opinions and we all have them, just because it differs from yours does not make it wrong, I applaud our players and jump around when we score, but if I see a player that masquerdes as a pro footballer who, whatever the reason is clearly not up to the job then I will criticise him, you can't have one without the other, it does not make me less of a fan than you though and I reckon I do know 'Jack' whatever that means!!
  • Options
    I'm just curious as to what people (and I mean fans in general, not taking a pop at people on here) would be saying if Solly was playing but the team as a whole still played as they are now... would be saying 'too young, too much pressure etc' or would it be that 'Francis has more experience at this level, he should be playing?'

I would like to see Solly playing for Charlton, and in an ideal world sooner rather than later, but perhaps in current circumstances its better he's not exposed to the pressure/discontent...
  • Options
    I have to say that Francis did worry me at first, but there are signs which indicate he is improving and will turn out to be a decent signing. He was far from the main problems on Saturday.
  • Options
    Would prefer Francis not to take corners, not because of the actual delivery but he is fairly tall and think he would be a real threat in the box. Could see him getting his head on a few deliveries.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]it does not make me less of a fan than you though

If you boo a player in a Charlton shirt who is trying his damndest (unlike Amdy Faye) than actually I think it does make you less of a fan than me.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]it does not make me less of a fan than you though[/quote]

If you boo a player in a Charlton shirt who is trying his damndest (unlike Amdy Faye) than actually I think it does make you less of a fan than me.[/quote]

Really? I could say that (because of your user name) I assume I get to more games than you it makes me more of a fan, sounds silly right! Oh yes my dad is bigger than yours!!