Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Q & A with Christian Dailly and Gary Doherty - 14/9/10

Comments

• Options
    there were 45 there I think. I think thats pretty poor lots of empty chairs - regardless of what the official line is. Still it could have been worse when we walked in there were only 22 so was a bit worried.

No i didnt NLA. Didnt talk to him just sat quietly unlike me I know.

Dailly also mentioned that this is the fittest squad amongst the league, amongst any league according to the stats on the fitness tests.

They all spoke very well. Obviously Jenkinson might have had a touch of nerves but CD helped him out where possible - well on one particularl question re the reserves which he might not have been able to answer as he liked.

The main thing that came across is that CD is a Charlton man. For some reason he loves this club and intends to be here to get us back up to the championship. There was never any doubt at the end of last season that he would be playing at Charlton but unfortunately the contract stuff took longer than he expected. He said it was a bit worrying as Frazer rang him after he had gone in to do his fitness tests and rang CD to tell him there were only 6 players that had come back. Said Parkinson had done an amazing job in getting this squad together.

He really enjoys the training, playing at the Valley and basically loves it here.

And none of them sounded like they were just saying what you wanted to hear. A nice evening.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Dailly's 13 year old daughter cooked spaghetti bolognese for the family recently

did she make her own sauce or cheat and buy a jar of it ?

seriously, thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

From the man who launched ragu Pasta sauces into the UK and Europe, i hope she used a jar
  • Options
    Didn't know you were there Kap, would have come and said hello.

Thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours, really pleased i made the effort.

The cynic will tell you that these players are well trained in what to say etc but it is still easy to tell when people are being sincere or not and you could not help be anything but impressed with the character and attitude of Dailly and Doherty. Nice honest guys that appear solely focussed on their football and just want to win. Dailly said there are a lot of leaders in our squad and he thinks that will be an important contributing factor as the season progresses.

He made it clear how much he enjoys being at this club, how impressed he is with all aspects and said that if his kids were good enough, then he would want them here because he can see how the youngsters are developed. You could tell he is an influential character and i'm getting the feeling that re-signing him was as important off the pitch as it was on it.

I also learnt last night how much winning the player of the year meant to him. Nowadays players don't get to take the trophy home as there have been instances where it hasn't been looked after or damaged, but Dailly asked if he could take it home because he had never won anything before and wanted to show his kids.

With regard to unusual training exercises, Dailly told a nice story about when he was at Dundee United, ahead of a cup final the manager would take all the players out into the woods and make them pick certain flowers and learn to appreciate their different smells etc. They all thougt he was barking, but they went on to win the cup final !

Jenkinson come across well as a nice lad trying to learn his trade the right way.

Asked about the atmosphere, getting on players backs etc Dailly said he was surprised given what the club has been through the last few seasons just how well the supporters get behind the players. He said when Mooney was getting flack last season he spoke with him and gave him advice on how to deal with it etc and he said he thinks it spurred him on a bit to prove people wrong.

Both players made great pains to asy how impressed they were with the manager. I know you think that is par the course, but this wasn't in relation to any specific questions. Doherty said that when he had options in the summer you weigh up loads of factors and you make sure you do your homework, and the first thing you do is find out what you can about the manager. he said he spoke to a number of ex-players all they all said good things about him. Just expanding on Kap's point, Dailly said that he had worked with a lot of managers who all have different styles, but some of the most impressive were Jim Smith, Walter Smith and Craig Brown, who would trust their staff, know when to take a step back and take an overview position, but then know when to pull you at the right time for one-to-one stuff and chats etc. He says that they were all experienced managers who learnt over time, and he thinks Parky potentially has some of those attributes that made them good, experienced managers. When he sat down with the chairman during the summer he said sooner or later Parky is going to to do a very good job somewhere. he hopes it is here and he really wants to be a part of it.

As always, a great insight into the character of the players. Its things like this that help you view players in different lights, and its just a shame there wasn't more fans there to appreciate it. You come away liking the players more, really wanting them to do well, and brings fans and players closer together, which i think a lot of us could benefit from at the moment.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff AFKA,

hope it's a kick start for more of the same in venues across Greenwich and Bexley. 45- 50 in a smaller venue would be ideal but seems lost in one of the big lounges.
  • Options
    No mention of how CD felt when Bailey nicked his song and now getting it back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite].

No i didnt NLA. Didnt talk to him just sat quietly unlike me I know.

dont belive you

The main thing that came across is that CD is a Charlton man. For some reason he loves this club and intends to be here to get us back up to the championship.

Christian only loves us because of you B he Lurves YOU

He really enjoys the training, playing at the Valley and basically loves it here.

as above
  • Options
    Did they record it for cafc player?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: matt896[/cite]Did they record it for cafc player?

no
  • Options
    cheers for relaying what was said ... i always get more optimistic when i hear this stuff ......come on please let us get promoted out of this hell hole.....shock horror poor turnout
  • Options
    Thanks Curb_It and AKFA.

Did Jenkinson mention his favoured position? Doesn't seem to be used in one position more than the other.

Can't see him getting anywhere near the team at centre back this season. I guess with Solly injured he'll stay here rather than go out on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right back (i think) is his favourite i believe but he said he gets played in different positions. Dailly said that this was great for him as managers down the line would love the fact that he can play in a few different positions.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Did Jenkinson mention his favoured position? Doesn't seem to be used in one position more than the other.

Right back. Looking at his build, i think that is more likely than at centre half. I've seen Jenkinson play a couple of times and i've been impressed with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I also learnt last night how much winning the player of the year meant to him. Nowadays players don't get to take the trophy home as there have been instances where it hasn't been looked after or damaged, but Dailly asked if he could take it home because he had never won anything before and wanted to show his kids.

That's so sweet. Glad I voted for him. Love him to bits. Hope he's here a long time.

Thanks for the updates from those who went.
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for the feedback from those that went. I find it very encouraging that Parky is highly thought of by Richard Murray AND Christian Dailly. That tells me everything I need to know about the guy and I am happy to let him get on with managing the team.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]That's so sweet. Glad I voted for him. Love him to bits. Hope he's here a long time.

He said he would be pleased to have the squad number 40.

Forgot about Mooney and it was me that made the comment about Mooney giving stick back

Afka go any Charlton Life badges left second event we have both been at.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the info everybody,

I'm really encouraged by what I've read.

Except about the turnout, of course...
  • Options
    Dailly was brilliant,Doherty very good and said our ground training etc beats Norwich all day long!Young Jenkinson give him a testimonial signed at the age of 7 and 11 years at that club!

Jenkinson i thought was tops and you could see that Dailly and Doherty was as well! Dailly assisted Jenkinson in some answers and full respect to the 3 of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We could have put it in the boardroom. Then there would have been few empty chairs . . .

We had it in the Millennium. There would have been empty chairs if 150 people had turned up.

It was a very good evening - but to be honest I wouldn't have dreamed of going along if I hadn't been responsible for the event, so I really can't be criticising nameless other people who didn't bother. And it ain't the "official line" because we don't need an "official line" on attendances at question and answer events. It's just my opinion, no more or less valid than anyone else's.
  • Options
    "So far 60 tickets have been issued, which is in line with expectations and precedent for an event of this type."

I took this line from the Official website site as reading as this is what they expect and I am allowed to say I think its a poor turnout. We used to get more when i could be bothered to do City Addicks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]"So far 60 tickets have been issued, which is in line with expectations and precedent for an event of this type."

I took this line from the Official website site as reading as this is what they expect and I am allowed to say I think its a poor turnout. We used to get more when i could be bothered to do City Addicks.

Thing is Brenda that City Addicks is convenient, most who attend are working in the City and it's just a stop off on the way home. To get to The Valley for a 7.30pm event would mean me either going home, getting the car, driving to The Valley, can't drink as have to drive home. Or go straight from work and then afterwards Charlton isn't on my line so have to go back to Ldn Bridge etc or go to Erith and get a bus and take my life in my own hands. Too much hassle, hence City Addicks being better supported.

Can I suggest you get on and arrange a meeting, I'm only in the City for another two months !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to just have problems with a decent venue.
    I even asked the Market Porter last week and they also want 500 quid minimum spend for their upstairs room.

anyone in the city run a pub with a function room???
  • Options
    I get a bit fed up with the inference that anything put out by the club is spin. I wrote that and it reflects my experience of organising similar meetings at The Valley and elsewhere. It's not "the official line", it's there to address the apparent expectation of others that more people would come.

You or others may have had different experiences of such meetings and of course you're as entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine. What I am saying is that people will not come in large numbers to The Valley for such events. That's one reason for the weakness of the local supporters' club branch. It's not what you would expect if you don't have knowledge of previous events, but it has been true over many, many years in my experience.
  • Options
    so we'd need about 70 people all buying a couple of pints each to achieve £500 spend. Uhmm. I'll put my thinking cap on B.
  • Options
    Surely Airman if it appears on the OS, regardless of who's written it - it is to be assumed it is the official line?
  • Options
    I remember being at some very big turn outs at the Valley but with big name guests I suppose - Curbs/Herman/etc? Packed out. Obviously Dailly is not a big enough draw and i find that sad but probably reflects where we are at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]I get a bit fed up with the inference that anything put out by the club is spin. I wrote that and it reflects my experience of organising similar meetings at The Valley and elsewhere. It's not "the official line", it's there to address the apparent expectation of others that more people would come.

You or others may have had different experiences of such meetings and of course you're as entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine. What I am saying is that people will not come in large numbers to The Valley for such events. That's one reason for the weakness of the local supporters' club branch. It's not what you would expect if you don't have knowledge of previous events, but it has been true over many, many years in my experience.

I think it is a bit chicken and egg.

The weakness of the G & B supporters' club has many causes but I think is that having the Valley as an easily available venue is one of the main ones.

It's cheap and of course the Football Club are happy to host events ( and not just for the drinking income).

That made some of the previous people running the events lazy. They took the easy option of going with the Valley rather than trying for the harder to arrange but much better sites such as Hall Place, The Conservative Club, New Eltham Social Club or one of the many pubs or Clubs with suitable rooms in the two boroughs.

Using them would have, and still could, generate more of the intimate and social atmosphere that City Addicks and others have achieved
  • Options
    It's difficult to see the argument for using alternative venues in Charlton, especially given the parking at The Valley, although if anything the club does not particularly want the events because they carry cost and do not generate significant revenue. For example, there were three catering/facilities staff on duty on Tuesday and the PA had to be hired in at a cost, which together won't have been recovered in bar takings. However, guests are likely to be much more comfortable at The Valley, if they are coming to Charlton itself.

The point about Bromley, City Addicks, etc, is that there is a club-type atmosphere because people know each other. It's a slightly different situation in Greenwich and Bexley because the audience is drawn from a much bigger group of supporters, although of course the fact that meetings aren't held regularly reinforces that. In my view, the branch should meet in Bexley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite] if anything the club does not particularly want the events because they carry cost and do not generate significant revenue. For example, there were three catering/facilities staff on duty on Tuesday and the PA had to be hired in at a cost, which together won't have been recovered in bar takings.

Maybe we should just give up playing football too? After all, we lose money at that...;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]so we'd need about 70 people all buying a couple of pints each to achieve £500 spend. Uhmm. I'll put my thinking cap on B.

this is what city tavern quoted me when i attempted earlier in the year. real piss take. ive tried a few pubs but mainly 50 people standing and thats too small. shame city addicks was a very good venue

Feb 17th & 24th £250 minimum

March 3rd, 10th, 17th & 25th £500 minimum

March 11th, 18th £1000 minimum
  • Options
    Don't see any spin on it Airman, i just find it all a bit sad.

If, as you imply, our fanbase are unwilling to go to The Valley, then that is something we should all be concerned about, shouldn't we ?

We are rapidly becoming a club with very little identity and a support base that is continuing to both dwindle and spread further at the same time. The Valley is THE key thing to Charlton's identity, and everything should be done to help it remain as not just the place where we play football, but the soul of the club.

if we can't even attract 50 people out of a support base of what 20,000 to spend a couple of hours asking the captain and other key players questions, then it raises questions on 1. whether we could be promoting these events a lot better, and 2. A wider point, what the hell can be done to get our supporters more engaged ?

I would expect Dartford, Ebbsfleet and Welling to draw better turnouts for similar functions.

I (rightly or wrongly, and i apologise if wrongly) detect with your club hat on you find these events now a bit of a (minor) loss making chore and a mere lip service exercise. I appreciate you have been to literally hundreds of them over the last 20-30 years and that has probably numbed your enthusiasm for them. But i think they are important exercises which help bring supporters and players together more positively. If the supporters go away feeling more positive and closer to the players wearing the shirt, and the players go away from an evening having positively engaged with supporters and feeling more engaged with the club, surely there must be some long-term benefits in that ? Everyone who goes to these events has a good evening and comes away feeling better. Isn’t the challenge to investigate and try and work harder to get more people to attend ? I don’t know whether it’s possible or not, but in fairness you are the Head of Club Development, surely you must see the bigger picture positives rather than just a minor loss on the balance sheet ?

Or am i trying to look at the bigger picture too deeply ?