Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

benson apparently passes medical **Signs for undisclosed fee, on OS**

Comments

• Options
    is he what we need? no idea

IS he worth the fee? Only time will tell

Are we paying the fee up front in one lump? I very much doubt it

Will his low wages plus fee still make him one of the cheaper players at the club? Most likely.
  • Options
    I just hope he score's goals for us. If he does he will be money well spent. We must be able to afford the fee or i can pretty much guarantee we wouldn't be paying it.

We still need another CB and a creative type player. Even if they are loans, we desperately need depth to be able to change a game when things aren't going well. Our bench as everyone already knows is very weak. We haven't had a plan B in our tactics for a long time.
  • Options
    The one worry i have is if the deal does go through, then there will be pressure on his shoulders from day due to all the hype of the long running saga. Personally I think it's way too much of a gamble and would have to score at least 20 goals this season to make it worth while.
  • Options
    I am more worried he has not found the back of the net since pre season

Maybe out of his depth
  • Options
    Amazing what people expect for £250k these days!
  • Options
    If he does sign let's all just get behind him. He could give us a plan b
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]is he what we need? no idea

IS he worth the fee? Only time will tell

Are we paying the fee up front in one lump? I very much doubt it

Will his low wages plus fee still make him one of the cheaper players at the club? Most likely.

Straight and to the point. ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]If he does sign let's all just get behind him. He could give us a plan b[/quote]

Id be happy with a plan A.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced myself he's the answer but I don't think there are many options unfortunately. We tried Championship reserves last season with Mooney and Akpo. We gambled on an injury prone player in McKenzie. We've heard Liverpool want us to pay full wages for anyone we take on loan. Maybe there's someone affordable we could get on loan like Fry but you can't expect 20 goals from a young player.

Non-league we know how much of a gamble it is. Austin and Morison didn't sign for their clubs last season as the "man main" with the expectation of 20 goals and promotion. Whoever we sign as said all have a lot of pressure on them. Who is good enough and able to handle that, while being affordable?
  • Options
    Don't forget it took Morison half a season to get used to the pace of Div 1. Millwall fans were saying he was useless but he turned it around. Thinking of Millwall reminds me of Cascarino who was great for the jills and Millwall but pretty hopeless for everyone else, apart from Eire stranglely enough. (Good biography) Anyway I think Parky knows what he is doing. As Ken says, I haven't a clue who else to go for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How was Mendonca a gamble? He'd had three plus very successful seasons at a a below average team in the same league. The Whammies were widely quoted as sniffing around him for 2.5 mill at the time, Grimsby got relegated and we got him for a pittance in regards to his second tier quality. Darren Bent was the best young forward outside the top div, had played in the premiership albeit briefly and scored. Ropey/average rubbish in previous years with poorer scoring went for more, a la Lee Bradbury, David Johnsen and Jon Macken. They were not gambles, they were bargains cheaper than their 'rivals' at the time.

As for Benson, let's be releastic he takes the pressure off Abbot. It allows us to swap Martin and Waggy around giving us a mixture of direct against a more tricky player. Is he worth it I don't know. From brief moments I've seen he looks like a modern tall striker, in that he's not dominant in the air but good at getting inbetween people and picking up play. He doesn't have to score 20 goals. If he and Abbot score between 10-15 goals, and Martin et al contribute 5-6 each we're well on our way to being a much more complete team than last year.
  • Options
    i think a lot of clubs were put off signing clive due to history of injuries including his back problem that finished him eventually.

It was a risk, not for his talent but his injuries.

700k was also our record fee paid at the time.
  • Options
    You all seem to be suggesting that our scouting team aren't upto it.
  • Options
    colin, pretty much the analysis I was given by a former colleague of BEnsons
  • Options
    I meant Mendonca was a gamble in that it was a lot of money for us at the time. Fair point though.

At the time we signed Bent I plenty of fans would have had doubts, and he had to step up to a higher level.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Skysports.com understands Charlton are poised to sign Dagenham & Redbridge striker Paul Benson.

Fee agreed and passed medical - we're going to find out how good he is!
  • Options
    Also mentions that we fended off a Championship club to sign him.

Personally I think he will come good and I completely agree with Colin, he will take the pressure off the others and allow them to play with more freedom, therefore this will enable them to create and score goals. With Benson and Abbott getting something like 15-20 goals each this season and the others chipping in (Wouldn't be suprised to see Akpo getting something like 10, maybe more) with Reid, Waggy and Martin. It will make us a more complete side.

Just a couple more by tomorrow and then a loan or two when it reopens next week. Amazing what a few signings can do to a team/squad.

COYR!
  • Options
    "Skysports.com understands Charlton are poised to sign Dagenham & Redbridge striker Paul Benson.

As revealed by skysports.com last week, Charlton have finally agreed a fee with their League One rivals for Benson.
    Charlton have been chasing the experienced frontman all summer and Addicks boss Phil Parkinson has now finally landed his man

The Addicks are believed to have fended off late interest from a Championship club to bring Benson to the Valley.

The 30-year-old forward has passed a medical and agreed a two-year deal at Charlton as Parkinson bolsters his striking options before the close of the transfer window."
  • Options
    If as has been suggested as a reason for the possible delay has been Bensons loyalty to D & R and in particular to John Still then rather than be concerned by this I am in fact encouraged. I imagine that it means that Benson feels grateful for his chance in football offered by Still and also feels very central to the recent success experienced by the club. Walking away feeling a little reluctant implies to me that this guy is not your stereotypical footballer and for that reason alone I already like the bloke. If he does sign then he gets my full support and I wish him every success.
  • Options
    Done Deal

On OS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If as has been suggested as a reason for the possible delay has been Bensons loyalty to D & R and in particular to John Still then rather than be concerned by this I am in fact encouraged. I imagine that it means that Benson feels grateful for his chance in football offered by Still and also feels very central to the recent success experienced by the club. Walking away feeling a little reluctant implies to me that this guy is not your stereotypical footballer and for that reason alone I already like the bloke. If he does sign then he gets my full support and I wish him every success.

My thoughts exactly.
    Let's give him a chance, get behind him, encourage him and give him every opportunity to be a success with us.
    By his actions he's already a folk hero at the Daggers.
    He's not refused to play for the Daggers, he likes it there & he's obviously torn.

I like him already
  • Options
    Excellent News COYR
  • Options
    Welcome, Benno.
  • Options
    Scores goals (ok at lower levels) but IMHO a goal scorer will always be a goal scorer. He even has scored for England according to wiki. England C that is! Happy with this, hope he plays tuesday.
  • Options
    Paul is a really nice fella my mates little boy will be distraught sorry Tom and Dylan

Welcome Benno and good luck
  • Options
    Happy days, we can afford to buy a player from Dagenham & Redbridge.

We have our Charlton back.
  • Options
    We've bemoaned the lack of a goalscorer.

Hard to see, for what we can now afford, that we could do much better at this level. It sounds like he is a down to earth sort of bloke so will hopefully fit in.
  • Options
    Someone need to change the name of this thread now. Very good signing as I said only a few comments ago. Top top bloke and is nothing like the modern day stereotypical footballer now. Looking forward to Benno becoming a success at Charlton.

COYR! :D
  • Options
    Glad it is done now and wish him luck.

Likely to be the 712th Addick to be capped at first team level.
  • Options
    713 i am running out before him H emergency full back for tuesday