Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Daggers (JPT) - Post Match Views

WSSWSS
edited August 2010 in General Charlton
Few there, so let's hear your thoughts. Seems like we created a few more chances tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Playing two upfront is the way to go from here on.

I can't see the point in signing Benson and not playing him, so the question will assuming Martin plays just behind a forward line of Abbott and Benson, who gets dropped from our recent midfield line up of Semedo, McCormack, Wagstaff and Reid.
  • Options
    4k there, the second highest attendance for this tin pot joke waste of time competition. 720 at Macclesfield V Morecambe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Playing two upfront is the way to go from here on.

I can't see the point in signing Benson and not playing him, so the question will assuming Martin plays just behind a forward line of Abbott and Benson, who gets dropped from our recent midfield line up of Semedo, McCormack, Wagstaff and Reid.

If martin plays behind the forward line of benson & abbott i dont think reid or waggy can be dropped. We cant play with 1 winger. It would have to be semedo (no chance his getting dropped) or macca. Or we play 3 at the back as previously said
  • Options
    Sounded like it was watching paint dry...

When's the second coat round drawn...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]When's the second[strike]coat[/strike]round drawn...?
    Saturday morning on Soccer AM. Southend away anyone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Sounded like it was watching paint dry...

When's the second[strike]coat[/strike]round drawn...?

Soccer AM, Saturday morning. At least we won't be playing Southampton!
  • Options
    Not a great game but not as bad as some of our cup performances. I thought Benson looked ok and was unlucky not to score. Was impressed with Fry and wouldn't' mind seeing him get a few games. Dailly was his usual great self. Racon took his goal well. Jose was solid. Martin had a better second half. Pleased to see Worner keep a clean sheet but he had little to do. Thought Dagenham were very poor and can't see them staying up. I'm sure a lot of people will focus on the negatives but glad to see us win and hopefully we'll follow it up Saturday!
  • Options
    Another clean sheet...
  • Options
    Looked alright, Benson came against a keeper who wanted to prove a point to him, otherwise, comfy and D and R are relegation certs
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I predict a thrilling 1-0 to the addicks.

bang on dazzler
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]cheers mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL
  • Options
    Quite enjoyed it actually. Thought Benson looked a little bemused by it all. having said that I think he looks mobile enough and once settled he might be ok. Semedo is a monster. Must be so hard playing against him. Decent performances by Martin and Wagstaff and for once I thought Racon was up for it. Defence was sound enough although both full backs got done more than once. Worner looked solid but not really put under pressure but the lad can at least kick the ball. Abbott looked good when he came on. Certainly room for improvement but when this squad settle I am convinced we can look forward to a good tilt at the playoffs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I predict a thrilling 1-0 to the addicks.

bang on dazzler
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]cheers mate
    You said thrilling. Doesn't count!
  • Options
    got to be favourites for this now well especially in the southern section at least, only rele brighton away thats a real threat, maybe swindon...
  • Options
    the good news - Benson got into 5 decent scoring situations.

The bad news he missed them all.

Sodje, Martin, Fry, Racon and Jose all did well and we were well on top despite not getting out of 2nd gear.

Away game next pls.
  • Options
    I can't see us playing Abbott Benson and Martin behind them, Martin will play on the wing like he did tonight maybe tucking in with semedo and macc in the middle I think and Reid wide left. I thought racon made a case for himself tonight as did fry. Squad looks quite strong now
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Worner had nothing to do, but suddenly made a great save to stave off penalties
    Francis was too shaky in the first half, Llera and Dailly were solid, Fry was composed.
    Racon and Semedo bossed the game, Martin ran himself into the ground, Waggy was on the left so was in and out. Benson was unlucky not to get a goal, Akpo worked well, I'm sure he wasn't offside every time they flagged it.
    Reidy was exciting but not very impactful only got 11 minutes, Macca was only on for 7 minutes, Abbott's touch and set up play is first rate for the most part, one bad touch was the one time he broke clear of the defence unfortunately.
    Roll on second round :)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]got to be favourites for this now well especially in the southern section at least, only rele brighton away thats a real threat, maybe swindon...[/quote]

Plymouth, Peterborough and Sheff Weds to come in in the next round
  • Options
    Can't see any of the relegated from Championship clubs busting a gut over this competition.
  • Options
    Worner made a very good stop at the death - that and a clean sheet will have done him wonders

Francis gave away possession a lot again but improved as the game went on

Dailly was Dailly. Very assured

Llera was Llera. Anything can happen! Rarely beaten in the air though.

Fry looks like he has a future in the game. Solid and v committed. Can't believe he's only 19

Midfield looked ok. Racon and Semedo linked well. Semedo was immense and took no prisoners. Racon neat and tidy but a few too many misplaced passes

Benson is like an old Varney. Similar running style but got in good positions.

Akpo.....I personally thought he had a mare. Good athlete but not enough between the ears for a footballer. Worthy of a place in the squad

Martin seems to conserve energy for 2nd half. Covered a lot of ground but needs more game time IMO

Waggy usual from him. Pace and defensive cover but not really got a trick so not as effective as Reid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Encouraged by Benson. Looked mobile, made some good runs. Must have been hard for him. Keeper made a couple of good saves from him.

Impressed with Martin.

D&R were hopeless. Cant see them staying up.
  • Options
    Also Abbott and benson look like they'll be a real handful when they are more familiar with each other. Paymter and Austin style

I am quite excited by this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Looked alright, Benson came against a keeper who wanted to prove a point to him, otherwise, comfy and D and R are relegation certs
    If only keepers would want to prove a point enough then they'd be unstoppable.

Forgive me for lolling out loud.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]got to be favourites for this now well especially in the southern section at least, only rele brighton away thats a real threat, maybe swindon...

You obviously don't know Charlton very well then. We're quite possibly the worst cup side in the history of English football so winning 1 match doesn't make us favourites to win it. If we got drawn away to any of Plymouth, Swindon, Brighton or Peterborough we'd probably get knocked out in the next round!
    I'm rooting for Torquay or Southend at home in the next round.
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]got to be favourites for this now well especially in the southern section at least, only rele brighton away thats a real threat, maybe swindon...

Plymouth, Peterborough and Sheff Weds to come in in the next round

I'm no geography expert but i'm guessing Sheffield Wednesday will be in the Northern section so we can't meet them until the final.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Abbott's touch and set up play is first rate for the most part, one bad touch was the one time he broke clear of the defence unfortunately.
    Roll on second round :)

What a great break though!
    Isn't Worner tiny!
    Home game for me please
  • Options
    My money's on Colchester away. :-S
  • Options
    John Still talking about Benno after the match:

"If they look after him there and play to his strengths then he'll score goals. If you get crosses in, you're guaranteed 20 goals a year."

Ah, that's thrown down the gauntlet - "play to his strengths" (you're having a larf, that's not the Charlton way).
    And, "if you get crosses in, you're guaranteed 20 goals a year".

Yeah, right ...... if we get crosses in.

:o)
  • Options
    Pretty comfortable and there were some good signs. Benson got into some very good positions and had some great chances but as Henry says, he missed them all. I though Akpo did very well; he bust a gut at times. Amusing to see him defensively clear a corner off the line and then immediately start to organise the back line as they all pushed up. It was good to see Llera talking to Matt Fry throughout the game as well, encouraging him and making sure he kept his position. Worner didn't have much to do, but what he did he did well. Hopefully the clean sheet will boost his confidence. I think he's going to be a very good keeper. Frustrating to see Reid beat the defence with his 1st touch after coming on as a sub, only to kick the ball behind for a goal kick. He is doing this far too often now and he does need to improve that final ball. Racon played well and covered a lot of ground. Nice goal too. Semedo was my MOTM; he was immense.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not a classic, was it? No quality almost anywhere on the field, except in odd flashes from Martin, from Daily who at least has a fully functional footballing brain and the save at the end which spared us having to endure any more.

At times, the lack of skill was almost comical.

D&R were truly inept. If there are 22 teams as bad as them in the division, our promotion is guaranteed!

Evening marred by a stupid fight between CAFC 'fans' queuing for the bar at h/t. Of course, the stewards arrived far too late and then marched off one of the culprits - but not the bawling, brawling oaf who had started it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Benson got into some very good positions and had some great chances but as Henry says, he missed them all.

Doesn't worry me too much. All on target. The fact that the keeper pulled off 5 saves from those 5 chances, shows that Benson knows how to get in the right place at the right time. The law of averages will do the rest.