Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Daggers (JPT) - Post Match Views

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Tennis60 said: ''Not a great night, went with my 2 boys (aged 7 and 9), their mother and my mother. We were seated right at the far end of the west lower near to the away fans and amongst a load of teenagers who wanted to stand up and eff and blind constantly. Unlike a normal matchday there was nowhere else to sit so we left before half time. A total waste of £40.''

I saw you and your family group and noticed you leave. I was right behind you with my two (adult) sons and we felt very sorry for you. I presume the teenage idiots who upset you were the same ones who couldn't even queue for a drink at half time without getting in a fight. You were lucky you weren't still around for that!

Proper fans showing passion.

Who wants happy clappy families anyway at football anyway?

Get p***** , abuse a few families and old people showing how brave and tough we are then back to the rub a dub. That's what football is all about.

People like that old git Len Glover, his wife and daughters shouldn't be allowed to go to football.

Just a minute there's an old dear on a mobility scooter. She's just hobbled into a shop with two walking sticks. I'll show what a big man I am by tipping her scooter on it's side. People like her shouldn't be allowed to go shopping unless I want to mug them for money for drink or drugs. Yeh I suppose the old do have their uses....

LOL. Think we have done this to death on a number of occasions although I'm with you all the way.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Tennis60 said: ''Not a great night, went with my 2 boys (aged 7 and 9), their mother and my mother. We were seated right at the far end of the west lower near to the away fans and amongst a load of teenagers who wanted to stand up and eff and blind constantly. Unlike a normal matchday there was nowhere else to sit so we left before half time. A total waste of £40.''

I saw you and your family group and noticed you leave. I was right behind you with my two (adult) sons and we felt very sorry for you. I presume the teenage idiots who upset you were the same ones who couldn't even queue for a drink at half time without getting in a fight. You were lucky you weren't still around for that!

Proper fans showing passion.

Who wants happy clappy families anyway at football anyway?

Get p***** , abuse a few families and old people showing how brave and tough we are then back to the rub a dub. That's what football is all about.

People like that old git Len Glover, his wife and daughters shouldn't be allowed to go to football.

Just a minute there's an old dear on a mobility scooter. She's just hobbled into a shop with two walking sticks. I'll show what a big man I am by tipping her scooter on it's side. People like her shouldn't be allowed to go shopping unless I want to mug them for money for drink or drugs. Yeh I suppose the old do have their uses....

LOL. Think we have done this to death on a number of occasions although I'm with you all the way.

We have done it to death that is true.

What a shame though that two little boys and family have their day out ruined by selfish, mindless idiots. Surely those youths would enjoy themselves more amongst their own in Bermondsey!
  • Options
    agreed Len. Was surprised that the Club appeared to do NOTHING about them standing. No tannoy announcement, no stewards trying to get them to sit etc etc. Plus, with the stand pretty full, how did they all manage to get seats there together. With everybody in the same stand the Club should have been more pro-active in dealing with it. Tennis60 should be contacted, offered a full refund and given an apology.
  • Options
    Agreed Large, The club should and hopefully will respond to this.

I remember taking my family down there years ago, and would have been upset by this type of behaviour.

I am all for being passonate and giving the team some stick, but the club does have a responsability to have some part of the ground where young families, and people who do not enjoy behaviour like this.

I appreciate that the club cannot control every aspect of the behaviour of a minority, but It can do something about readdressing this in refunding the money and inviting the family back at the clubs expense and showing them that we are a bit better than that!. Might be a good idea to suggest to the steward's that they keep an eye on this type of behaviour.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Without these teenage idiots there would have been no atmosphere at all. Why not just get up and move if it bothered you that much??

It was actually a grown man, who accidently elbowed this blokes missus face, then he started giving it so the bloke finished it. The right culprit was taken out and the other was dealt with accordingly.
  • Options
    I can't beleive some of the comments.. It was by the away fans, of course anyone who wanted to make some noise went there because every other stand was closed.

Thank god you support Charlton, fans of most other teams old and young would laugh in your face.

BORING BORING WEST STAND!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I can't beleive some of the comments.. It was by the away fans, of course anyone who wanted to make some noise went there because every other stand was closed.

Thank god you support Charlton, fans of most other teams old and young would laugh in your face.

Do I take it that you approve of Tennis 60 having to leave the ground then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]I can't beleive some of the comments.. It was by the away fans, of course anyone who wanted to make some noise went there because every other stand was closed.

I was standing and the banter was actually very decent i thought, my mates little sister was there and she loved it.

Apart from the bald bloke making funny gestures now and again i don't see why anyone would have hated it. There was an old couple at the front and they loved it, even commenting how they wish it was like this in the west on a match day.

May i ask what exactly offended you, because it was just like the usual away day chants?
  • Options
    He didn't HAVE to leave... Though he shouldn't have felt he was in a position where he believed there was no other option.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

I was standing and the banter was actually very decent i thought, my mates little sister was there and she loved it.

Apart from the bald bloke making funny gestures now and again i don't see why anyone would have hated it. There was an old couple at the front and they loved it, even commenting how they wish it was like this in the west on a match day.

May i ask what exactly offended you, because it was just like the usual away day chants?

I wasn't there (family reasons. Not good enough I know but who cares!) so nothing offended me but as a fan, father and hopefully decent human being I find it sad that the evening of a 9 year old and 7 year old boy together with that of their mother and grandmother was ruined by selfish, mindless, Millwall wannabees. It appears that they were not the only people affected either reading other comments.

You suggested moving but, according to Tennis 60, there was nowhere to move to since, as you point out, only one stand was open.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite] because it was just like the usual away day chants?

Maybe that was the problem
  • Options
    According to the BBC there were 4,000 plus fans there last night, I do not know about the capacity of the west stand but it could not have been full, and the club should have made provisions for this rather like they do for other groups, such as the disabled!. Having taken junior football teams down to the valley myself as the guest of the club, and my friends and family there has to be consideration given to this situation. Normally you could have moved in these type of cup games , or spoken to a steward who I am sure would have sorted out the situation. It really is a case of how you treat all our fans, some of which may be there as guests and consideration has to be given to them. Obviously the family enclosure, or the west stand is normally a resonable place to sit. I am sure the club do not welcome this type of behaviour, or expect fans to have to tollerate it.

I myself do not have a problem with robust and colourful languague, and do not want to dampen the mood, but considertion has to be given to others, who feel intimidated, in what should be a enjoyable occassion!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There was LOTS of places to move too, as i did in the second half when i moved further in.

We tried to create an atmosphere and both sets of fans gave a bit of banter back to each other...Don't really see the problem if im honest :s

Not one chant was racist or absuive in any way. The only thing i can remember was asking the lad with the sue boyle haircut to give us a wave...

I know it not to be expected in the west, but you must be having a laugh!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]because it was just like the usual away day chants?

Maybe that was the problem

Watch it Henry, if you have a go at the away chants, people will accuse you of being boring....

Everyone knows you have to sing offensive songs 'on the road' or there is no atmosphere

edit - just seen the chants were not offensive last night so not sure why there was the original problem that caused the family to leave.
  • Options
    But we are not talking about you Andy.....

Your view as well as mine is not really the issue here......

I am glad you were there, I was not!... I was there last year though with non Charlton supporters who came to the ground with there friends to support a young player!

This board may be for the diehard fan, but remember there was only 4,000 die hards last night! and as a club we have to develop fans who go there for a positive occassion as well as the likes of me and you! if we are going to progress.
  • Options
    Was it just me who thought it or did others think that Benson struggled to win any headers last night?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Was it just me who thought it or did others think that Benson struggled to win any headers last night?
    Won a few but not many, he's not that kind of striker though from what has been said about him. I think last night showed while he's tall he is not a targetman.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Was it just me who thought it or did others think that Benson struggled to win any headers last night?

Struggled to put his five chances with his feet away as well!

No, not great in the air but found space well, got on the end of crosses and flicks and hit the target.

Still if Mooney had missed all those chances he would have been caned on here.

I think Mooney benson will do OK for us. Thought Martin was much better out wide than up front too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Won a few but not many, he's not that kind of striker though from what has been said about him. I think last night showed he while he's tall but he's not a targetman.

That was my impression last night. It will be interesting to see if we play two up front, if there will be a target man alongside Benson. Benson did seem to know where the goal was, so two big men up front might scare some defences.
  • Options
    Thought he did ok flicking on a few headers but I wasn't expecting a target man - NLA had suggested he doesn't score too many with his head. Encouraging ability to find space for a shot but don't know if I'm just reading that in him, knowing he's scored plenty previously. Applying the finishing touch to spells of pressure, and nicking one when we're up against it will hopefully be his bread & butter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest, did anyone ask these apparently offensive teenagers to tone it down or speak to any stewards or did you just leave?

I have long felt this is one of the issues with all seater stadiums. When I was a nipper, if my Dad didn't like what I was hearing from those around me he would move us to another part of the terrace - that was easy even if there was a close to full house. Now you're sat in a stand it's only an option if the grounds less than full - if most seast are taken you're kind of stuck with who's behind you, idiot or otherwise.

I do remember my Mum giving some skinhead a mouthful for contaminating my tender ears with too many expletives at one all seater away game, though.
  • Options
    think it's telling that cafcAndy doesn't think the 'incest' song offensive. Says it all really. And can't dissimilate between occasions when it's 'acceptable' to sing it and occasions when it's not. Oh well.
  • Options
    It would nice to see the club make a gesture to Tennis of 5 free tickets to another game. The problem here really is the mixing of everyone together. This needs to be thought about. Difficult when one side of the ground only is open. However the club could make clear that certain sections are to be family orientated, others singing orientated. It was probably compounded by the fact that adults could pay at certain turnstiles which meant familes were automatically sat with the teenagers.
    Having said that the stand was not full down our end and i'm sure a steward should have been able to relocate them if asked
  • Options
    i was sat round about the middle of the stand but there was no atmosphere what so ever ,
    at half time me and my mate moved to the block with all the signing and there was no problem what-so-ever
    so im sure that Tennis and his family could have moved but it would be nice for the club to make a gesture anyway
    lots of people were drunk , especially the guy nxt to me, but i didnt feel as if it was a threatening atmosphere just a bit of banter because the away fans were so close
  • Options
    There was no atmosphere at all, except near the away fans. I suppose those who wanted to chant all bought their tickets their.

As for the players, Martin's work rate is outstanding, Racon took his goal well and assured me he was staying after the game, I will reserve judgement on Benson, and was great to see Fortune back - in the stands at least.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]There was no atmosphere at all, except near the away fans. I suppose those who wanted to chant all bought their tickets their.

Wot skool do you go to, Barnesy?

Not taking English this year? he hee.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LSEBarnes[/cite]There was no atmosphere at all, except near the away fans. I suppose those who wanted to chant all bought their ticketstheir.

Wot skool do you go to, Barnesy?

Not taking English this year? he hee.

;o)

Nightmare. And Yes, I have dropped english.