Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Daggers (JPT) - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Not a great game or exciting football but we did enough. Ended up in row D, 4th from the front. Do find it harder to judge things from that low down.

Martin had some good moments, few decisions could maybe be better, but that hopefully comes with games and experience.

Hopefully something there with Benson. As said he got 4/5 chances, didn't score but they weren't terrible misses, he got them on target which always gives you a chance of a goal. Another day I think he'd have got a couple.

Thought we might have seen a young player or two, but I think it was the right decision to leave them out. Would have been a tough game for the likes of Tuna, Mambo, Stavrinou etc.

Hopefully no injuries picked up though there were a few scares with Sodje, Dailly and Semedo all needing treatment/check from the physio.

Was interesting that Martin played on the right and Wagstaff the left for most of the game.

Francis still not convincing but hopefully will get better in time.

Fry did well enough without standing out. Need to see more of him to really judge.

Good to see Racon score but like Parky said he should be scoring more often. Not convinced he will but seems he's staying so will get what is probably a final chance to step up and do it for us more often.
  • Options
    Thought Benson looked okay, won a few headers, flick ons which gave others chance and also missed a few himself, must be hard for him playing against the team he was playing with only on Saturday though.

Also noticed that Francis really hasn't improved since his first few outings, needs to up his game otherwise I can see Solly back in the team.

Good to see Racon turn and score, something which Akpo should have done a few seconds earlier!

Think it will be a few more games/weeks till we start seeing this team really start putting things together imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I predict a thrilling 1-0 to the addicks.

bang on dazzler
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]cheers mate

Pity your Predictions every week don't show the same form
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Was it just me or did Benson's physical appearance remind anyone else of Mooney? Can see him working with Abbott, so I feel that we're in with a decent chance of him delivering goals. Hard game for him mentally tonight, thought he coped very well and his many hugs after the game for his former team mates were quite touching. I like him already. As it became obvious that we weren't going to get a game to remember, entertainment was sought elsewhere. We were having quite a chuckle near the front between the two dugouts. The antics of Llera ( who I thought did more than just head balls) had me in creases, he looked like a windmill attempting semaphore. He's obviously realised the limitations of his verbal communications but was determined to chaperone Matt Fry. We've got some workers, hopefully skills will follow. Reid will learn to cross balls at some stage, won't he? Thought Worner did well. Hope Sodje's shoulder will be OK, as well as the others, some heavy knocks taken tonight. Tim Breacker getting sent off, Kins and Parky getting very animated, all highly entertaining. Still got on everyones wick with his constant shouting and was loudly advised to 'shut up you bald git'. That got some laughs and Still was indeed a lot quieter. It was that kind of night, I'm neither encouraged nor disappointed, just vaguely hopeful. I really have no idea what we'll be capable of in future games, there'll be more spoilers like Dagenham and some good footballing sides. Very early days. Semedo my MOM and I want Solly back.
  • Options
    Good second half. I'm impressed with the new signings. If we can get these players really working together, we could really have something here.
  • Options
    Just one little moan about it last night. Benson did seem to spend rather too much time clapping the Daggers fans before and after the match, more than he did his new home crowd. I know he's a hero for them, and yes he tried hard to score, but he's moved to Charlton because he thinks he can progress here. Not good to start at a new club by virtually ignoring your own support in favour of your old.
  • Options
    Not a great night, went with my 2 boys (aged 7 and 9), their mother and my mother. We were seated right at the far end of the west lower near to the away fans and amongst a load of teenagers who wanted to stand up and eff and blind constantly. Unlike a normal matchday there was nowhere else to sit so we left before half time. A total waste of £40.
  • Options
    The draw is divided between South East and South West, so we won't be playing Plymouth or Torquay.
  • Options
    Keeper not much to do but when called upon in the last minute made a great save.

back 4 pretty solid, although Francis still gives the ball away a bit too much - he did make a couple of great tackles.

midfield, Semedo = legend, Racon played well and Waggy did o.k. Martin pretty much ran himself into the ground.

Benson on another night would've had a hat trick, at least he hit the target with his 6 efforts, must've been a strange night for him, he will score goals. Akpo, plenty of running and energy and did o.k but we definately looked better with Abbot up top with Benson.
  • Options
    Liked Benson.....very lively around the box. He'll do for me. Get the feeling he could link well with Abbott.
    Some comments re: the newer players....

Liked Fry.....positionally very sound, good in the air and tackle. Proper player in the making and could be a better option than Jackson at LB.

Francis did struggle at times (my Southend mate was right...he does get the wrong side of his man at times) BUT he got better, won his headers and can put a good ball into the box. One Beckham like cross from a poor angle in the first half was especially encouraging. Showed good pace for his late burst and shot.

Martin....we can see he has ability and desire..no question, but he will frustrate as he over-does things a bit. Potentially exciting player although finding a position for him could be the hardest thing (he'd be really suited to playing in the hole in a 3-5-2).

Worner....one excellent claim for a swirling cross impressed. Late one handed save low down was really good too. Obviously not a mug and given Elliott's poor fitness record, he's going to play quite a few games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    >>Eltham 29 minutes ago quote# 37
    Just one little moan about it last night. Benson did seem to spend rather too much time clapping the Daggers fans before and after the match, more than he did his new home crowd. I know he's a hero for them, and yes he tried hard to score, but he's moved to Charlton because he thinks he can progress here. Not good to start at a new club by virtually ignoring your own support in favour of your old.<<

Thought he got it about right seeing as he was their player on Monday, clapped Charlton fans from half way line to the tunnel as he left the pitch.

The chirpy east london chappies obviously had a great affection for him with various teasing chants, followed by "Paul benson.......".

Happy for him to take the praise today, but when they come at end of September would then like him to be a little more circumspect.
  • Options
    Benson lacks any real pace, not brilliant in the air and not the best first touch, but he gets into space in the box and makes clever runs, in all he looks a goalscorer. Happy with that
  • Options
    Worner looked good apart from a bit of a fast half flap which could of cost a goal. Francis looked extremely suspect defensively, lost how many times he got caught out, put in a few good crosses though. Dailly and Llera were solid. Semedo put in a good shift before he got subbed, Martin was probably my man of the match, ran all game although was fairly anonymous in the first and had so much space down the right but everything seemed to be going down the left, got more into it in the second half. Racon looked suspect, so many missed passes. Akpo ran around a lot to not much avail. Benson was fairly anonymous, me and my mate swore that he wasn't trying. I know there is emotional bonds and he only signed yesterday but when he got put through in the first half, the shot was just so tame and would of flown over anyway same for his chance in the second half. Abbott was a good sub, so good at holding up the ball and linking with the midfield but had a free header to make it 2-0 which he should of at least hit the target but missed completely. Reid went straight for an immediate impact and nearly got there.

Odd atmosphere, those kids in the near corner were getting proper wound up, wasn't near enough to see what was happening though, be surprised if they made it to the station!
  • Options
    How many fans did Dagenham bring?
  • Options
    About 300-400?
  • Options
    I thought Benson looked good, Llera had a bit of a shaky game. No idea how Daily recovered from that knock to the head. Raccon had one of his best games for a long time - shame if it's his last - anyone know what that goal celebration was all about ?

The one thing that's a bit odd are the BBC match stat's I really don't recall Daggers having a shot on target, yet it seems I must have blinked three times during the game and missed each. And I don't know how we only had 51% possession, I thought Wagstaff had that much on his own.
  • Options
    good to see a striker out of the first team putting in a shift and busting a gut to impress - NOT. Akpo Sodje a footballer, you have got to be kidding.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]good to see a striker out of the first team putting in a shift and busting a gut to impress - NOT. Akpo Sodje a footballer, you have got to be kidding.

Watching him from a different vantage point last night really brought home how slow he is.
  • Options
    I was sitting next to Jason Donovan from the iceland ad's!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Was it just me or did Benson's physical appearance remind anyone else of Mooney?
    I thought that as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Was it just me or did Benson's physical appearance remind anyone else of Mooney?
    I thought that as well.

Me too
  • Options
    Tennis60 said: ''Not a great night, went with my 2 boys (aged 7 and 9), their mother and my mother. We were seated right at the far end of the west lower near to the away fans and amongst a load of teenagers who wanted to stand up and eff and blind constantly. Unlike a normal matchday there was nowhere else to sit so we left before half time. A total waste of £40.''

I saw you and your family group and noticed you leave. I was right behind you with my two (adult) sons and we felt very sorry for you. I presume the teenage idiots who upset you were the same ones who couldn't even queue for a drink at half time without getting in a fight. You were lucky you weren't still around for that!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BBC has the stats on the game, 6 attempts on target, an improvement over the league games so far.

I'd imagine we'll bring Doherty, Reid and Abbott back in on Saturday. Possibly McCormack for Racon. Tough choice between Martin and Wagstaff. Think he might go with Martin from the start (perhaps the reason he got a game on the right?) and use Waggy off the bench which worked well last season.

Team should be stronger with those changes so you'd hope we'd create even more chances.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]BBC has the stats on the game, 6 attempts on target, an improvement over the league games so far.

I'd imagine we'll bring Doherty, Reid and Abbott back in on Saturday. Possibly McCormack for Racon. Tough choice between Martin and Wagstaff. Think he might go with Martin from the start (perhaps the reason he got a game on the right?) and use Waggy off the bench which worked well last season.

Team should be stronger with those changes so you'd hope we'd create even more chances.

Hmmmm, that would be harsh on Waggy after he scored against both Orient and Oldham.

He might choose to keep Benson on the bench.
  • Options
    Think we're all aware it's still a work in progress, but once we establish the right combination and pattern up front we'll hopefully carry much more of a goal threat than last season - there just seems to be a lot more flair and unpredictability that is harder to defend against. Only concerns last night were that we played very little through the midfield, hitting long too often, and for a team playing a more direct style, didn't create many good chances during the middle hour. That didn't seem to be through panic, and the bench certainly didn't appear to want to change it, so perhaps it was just considered best for this game - clearly Daggers' robust approach isn't Parky's ideal cup of tea.

The other worry, despite some useful attacking input, is Francis's awkwardness in recovering from being "wrong side" of his man. Hopefully it's just lack of full pre-season but he doesn't seem to change gear / direction quickly enough when moved around. I'd still give him a 6; at times he looked strong and reasonably quick, but it'd be reassuring to see a bit more sharpness.

With the three runners (Waggy, Reid, Martin) we'll probably just rotate them as form, fitness, and match situations dictate. All should see plenty of game time, all need to be fit and fresh to be at their most effective, and all should carry a genuine threat. Martin will probably also be used more centrally depending on the scenario, so I don't see the problem over fitting them all in, and certainly don't envisage moving to a starting 3-5-2 to accommodate them. Similarly, Semedo, Racon, and McCormack should all get enough minutes (if Racon stays - he did v well last night apart from his goal).
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game particularly as it was my first chance to see some new players having missed the others due to holiday.
    Overall quite excited about our prospects whereas i was very worried june/july what might happen.
    On the negative side got worried about some of Francis positioning particularly in the first half. Martin looked impressive but as a winger left Francis exposed which questions where his best position might be. I hope Waggy doesnt get sacrificed because even on the left I thought he looked good (although did drift a little in and out). Fry very solid defensively but offeres little going forward. llera was llera (JF get fit!). Dailly and Semedo the usual rocks . Racon had a decent game. Akpo I thought OK but Abbot looked more dangerous as soon as he came on. Liked the initial look of Benson (fingers crossed a bit on this). Reid was only on 10 mins but showed why he should win us numerous games this year. Lastly worner was difficult to judge but had little to do other than 1 save in injury time.

This could be an interesting season as long as we don't raise our expectations too high
  • Options
    Just noticed i questioned whether racon would score and he did! Why did I not gamble damn it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]BBC has the stats on the game, 6 attempts on target, an improvement over the league games so far.

Hmmmm, that would be harsh on Waggy after he scored against both Orient and Oldham.

He might choose to keep Benson on the bench.
    Harsh on whoever he leaves out really from Waggy, Martin, Reid, and Benson.

I think it'll be like paddy said, they'll be rotated through the season depending on fitness, form, the opposition etc.

Finally as long as most players are available we will have some good options from the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Tennis60 said: ''Not a great night, went with my 2 boys (aged 7 and 9), their mother and my mother. We were seated right at the far end of the west lower near to the away fans and amongst a load of teenagers who wanted to stand up and eff and blind constantly. Unlike a normal matchday there was nowhere else to sit so we left before half time. A total waste of £40.''

I saw you and your family group and noticed you leave. I was right behind you with my two (adult) sons and we felt very sorry for you. I presume the teenage idiots who upset you were the same ones who couldn't even queue for a drink at half time without getting in a fight. You were lucky you weren't still around for that!

Proper fans showing passion.

Who wants happy clappy families anyway at football anyway?

Get p***** , abuse a few families and old people showing how brave and tough we are then back to the rub a dub. That's what football is all about.

People like that old git Len Glover, his wife and daughters shouldn't be allowed to go to football.

Just a minute there's an old dear on a mobility scooter. She's just hobbled into a shop with two walking sticks. I'll show what a big man I am by tipping her scooter on it's side. People like her shouldn't be allowed to go shopping unless I want to mug them for money for drink or drugs. Yeh I suppose the old do have their uses....
  • Options
    Was unimpressed by Martin in the 1st half, made a few mistakes and then blamed team mates, he must have heard my complaint to a friend, because he stepped up a couple, of gears second half and ran his nuts off and almost scored from long range.