Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options

Carter said:

Eltham, welling, Gravesend, Dartford, Grays, Basildon, Dagenham all fall in similar brackets of disrepair but they all are near to out of town developments that have swallowed the councils planning budget for infrastructure.

That's very offensive to Eltham putting them in the same sentence as those dumps.

Nah it is not a fantastic place, on a par with welling and Dartford. An endearing feature is its proximity to the a2 and the valley.

It has a lovely pub just by argos though, the park tavern?
  • Options
    Corby - only good thing to come out of there was the trouser press
  • Options

Bexleyheath town centre is all right, typical for suburbs.......
    Well you are entitled to your opinion Killer and flash, but as it is my nearest shopping centre, it has a lot to answer for.?
    The recent pedestrian walkway is a mess, the car drivers are unsure and the pedestrians are baffled? ....see new shopper
    Why does the council need a new civic centre, why could it not be refurbished?
    Personally speaking Asda is not my cup of tea, and as for the architecture?
    Mind you, one ex councillor wanted Danson House to fall down, a few years ago, so that gives a idea of these 'dickheads' idea of civic and community buildings?
    I appreciate that the high street is not what it was, and the advent of the internet has made them viewing windows to go home and buy it cheaper?. That is why it takes enterprise and vision, and hard work. Not road closures, and dull shops. What about a farmers market?, Arts and craft fair, Garden festival, Food festival, etc , etc.
    You could even have free parking at the broadway for 3 hours?......
    I know it is easy to make cheap pot shots at Bexleyheath, but the 'planners' have got most things wrong, on most occassions. Frankly I feel rather sad that an ordinary town centre is reduced to nail bars, and poundshops, this race to the bottom will lead to a waste land of commercial\retail closures?. And the community will be the poorer.
    But the council staff will have a nice new premises, I doubt if the quality of service matches it?
    As you can see I am not a fan of the council

I presume Tesco made them a good offer for the council centre which is a bit rundown anyway, and the old Woolwich building is too good to waste - much better this way than Tesco knocking the Woolwich building.

Most town centres have the same problem, Bexleyheath is probably no worse than most comparable outer suburbs, and better than Dartford, more supermarkets and a newer shopping centre.
  • Options

Tell you what, Dover is a shout. Cycling through there on the London To Paris ride I was struck by just what a shithole it is. I haven't been there for about 25 years - I don't remember it being nearly as bad as that. The street just looked to be full of people who had snuck into the town on a lorry and decided, for some odd reason, to stay there!

god that place is depressing. years ago me and a friend went there to have a look round before we got on a ferry to france. as soon as we got there we wished to hell we booked an earlier ferry.

to this day whenever we're somewhere we wished we weren't, we use the same whiny line... "I don't wanna be in Dover any more"
  • Options
    no mate nothing like them and the ones we used to go in were in Woolwich mate off anglesea rd
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Doncaster. It's where society goes to die.
  • Options
    Although we can't be basing our opinions on away days which I'm sure many people are doing on here. For example there is more to Hull than the walk from the station to the ground, or the Wetherspoons round the corner from the station.
  • Options
    Slough
    Eltham
    Charlton
  • Options
    Upminster
    Brentwood
    Canvey
  • Options
    looking for flats to rent in shoreditch, went for a pint nearby and came accross a couple of hipsters playing connect four on their table. Creates an anger in me for some reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

looking for flats to rent in shoreditch, went for a pint nearby and came accross a couple of hipsters playing connect four on their table. Creates an anger in me for some reason.

Kerplunk would've done it for me. Grrr!
  • Options
    Is there anywhere we haven't mentioned yet?
  • Options
    I'm on a course this week and staying in Loughborough. Always thought it sounded like a nice place but it's just as full of scum as anywhere else.

Went to a bar/club by the hotel last night just for a quick couple of pints and left pretty sharpish. Afterwards I looked on the net at reviews , this was the first one.

"Terrible place, clientele are usually Shelthorpe’s finest, Vice seems to be the club of choice for chavs due to the awful chart music that is played, dancefloor is also rather small which isn’t much fun when the place is packed"
  • Options
    Carter said:

Carter said:

Eltham, welling, Gravesend, Dartford, Grays, Basildon, Dagenham all fall in similar brackets of disrepair but they all are near to out of town developments that have swallowed the councils planning budget for infrastructure.

That's very offensive to Eltham putting them in the same sentence as those dumps.

Nah it is not a fantastic place, on a par with welling and Dartford. An endearing feature is its proximity to the a2 and the valley.

It is not on a par with Welling at all. Considering Eltham has a huge M&S, Next, Debenhams, Sports Direct etc and even a newly renovated Greggs....plus plenty of decent cafes springing up, it's a high street you can actually shop down, whereas Welling has absolutely fuck all.

Eltham is still shit, but not on a par with Welling, which is effectively one giant high street of supermarkets, bookies, takeaways and closed down shops.

• Options
    buckshee said:

I'm on a course this week and staying in Loughborough. Always thought it sounded like a nice place but it's just as full of scum as anywhere else.

Went to a bar/club by the hotel last night just for a quick couple of pints and left pretty sharpish. Afterwards I looked on the net at reviews , this was the first one.

"Terrible place, clientele are usually Shelthorpe’s finest, Vice seems to be the club of choice for chavs due to the awful chart music that is played, dancefloor is also rather small which isn’t much fun when the place is packed"

Do you mean Vice Versa?

Is the Griffin still open? Think another place nearby called The Orange Tree was alright too.
  • Options

I think we could do with a positive thread saying what parts of Britain people on Charlton Life recommend , or like visiting?

This thread is funny , but too depressing if you get my drift.

was just going to post the same thing ....whilst this is fun we all do seem to dwell on the negative

• Options

I work in Shoreditch and I feel your pain kentaddick

• Options
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

As an insomniac anorak, I have made a statistical analysis of the Crap Towns thread and compiled a league table of votes cast by Charlton Lifers. Since the thread was started in September 2010, a total of 603 votes have been cast for 262 separate shit-holes.

Before I give the results, here are a few observations. There was one clear winner, but an astonishing four towns tied for second place - three of them in The Garden of England. Perhaps surprisingly, dumps like Doncaster, Runcorn, Scunthorpe and Thamesmead were spared a really good kicking. Nominations included 'Wales', 'most of Scotland', and a whole gazetteer of cess-pits in Spain.

Other foreign places mentioned in despatches included Paris (four times), Lima (three times), Bucharest (twice), and the delightfully named Greymouth, in New Zealand, which I trust is just as depressing as it sounds.

OK, pop-pickers: here is the Top Thirty as voted by Charlton Lifers:

1 Middlesbrough (16 votes)
    2= Chatham (13)
    Gillingham (13)
    Luton (13)
    Margate (13)
    6 Hull (11)
    7 Erith (10)
    8= Coventry (9)
    Woolwich (9)
    10= Bradford (8)
    Dalston (8)
    Stoke-on-Trent (8)
    13 Oldham (7)
    14= Brighton (6)
    Burnley (6)
    Croydon (6)
    Dartford (6)
    Dover (6)
    Grays (6)
    Leicester (6)
    Newport (Gwent) (6)
    Sheerness (6)
    Slough (6)
    24= Basildon (5)
    Blackpool (5)
    Lewisham (5)
    Portsmouth (5)
    Shoreditch (5)
    Swansea (5)
    Swindon (5)
  • Options

Canvey

I'm not having that, Canvey is a wonderful place.
  • Options

Carter said:

Carter said:

It is not on a par with Welling at all. Considering Eltham has a huge M&S, Next, Debenhams, Sports Direct etc and even a newly renovated Greggs....plus plenty of decent cafes springing up, it's a high street you can actually shop down, whereas Welling has absolutely fuck all.

Eltham is still shit, but not on a par with Welling, which is effectively one giant high street of supermarkets, bookies, takeaways and closed down shops.

Blimey. When's Eltham's bid for European town of culture?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carter said:

Carter said:

Blimey. When's Eltham's bid for European town of culture?!
    was thinking that, praps once the new drive through McDonalds opens

• Options
    There's loads but I have to say
    Dartford
    Bradford
    Croydon
    Chatham
    Workington
    Barrow in Furness
    and lastly
    St Helen's what a shit hole!
  • Options
    Luton IS Crapier than Middlesbrough. FACT
  • Options

Tell you what, Dover is a shout. Cycling through there on the London To Paris ride I was struck by just what a shithole it is. I haven't been there for about 25 years - I don't remember it being nearly as bad as that. The street just looked to be full of people who had snuck into the town on a lorry and decided, for some odd reason, to stay there!

Walked from lovely Kingsdown, coastal route along past beautiful St Margarets Bay and on to Dover. Only about 8 miles on that path but what a difference when you came down into the Dover. People rolling around the grass high as kites in the middle of a weekday afternoon (ok i know that happens in most towns but it just seemed a bigger number) and getting stared at by all and sundry. Didnt hang about.

• Options

There's loads but I have to say
    Dartford
    Bradford
    Croydon
    Chatham
    Workington
    Barrow in Furness
    and lastly
    St Helen's what a shit hole!

St. Helens is a great night out in fairness.
  • Options
    Had the pleasure of a pint in Dover 'Spoons on a weekday afternoon last month (it doesn't get much better than that). It was a bloody education, I tell thee! Never again.
  • Options

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

As an insomniac anorak, I have made a statistical analysis of the Crap Towns thread and compiled a league table of votes cast by Charlton Lifers. Since the thread was started in September 2010, a total of 603 votes have been cast for 262 separate shit-holes.

Before I give the results, here are a few observations. There was one clear winner, but an astonishing four towns tied for second place - three of them in The Garden of England. Perhaps surprisingly, dumps like Doncaster, Runcorn, Scunthorpe and Thamesmead were spared a really good kicking. Nominations included 'Wales', 'most of Scotland', and a whole gazetteer of cess-pits in Spain.

Other foreign places mentioned in despatches included Paris (four times), Lima (three times), Bucharest (twice), and the delightfully named Greymouth, in New Zealand, which I trust is just as depressing as it sounds.

2= Chatham (13)
    Gillingham (13)
    Luton (13)
    Margate (13)
    6 Hull (11)
    7 Erith (10)
    8= Coventry (9)
    Woolwich (9)
    10= Bradford (8)
    Dalston (8)
    Stoke-on-Trent (8)
    13 Oldham (7)
    14= Brighton (6)
    Burnley (6)
    Croydon (6)
    Dartford (6)
    Dover (6)
    Grays (6)
    Leicester (6)
    Newport (Gwent) (6)
    Sheerness (6)
    Slough (6)
    24= Basildon (5)
    Blackpool (5)
    Lewisham (5)
    Portsmouth (5)
    Shoreditch (5)
    Swansea (5)
    Swindon (5)

as a fan of Gravesend I am so pleased it hasn't made the top 30.

• Options

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

2= Chatham (13)
    Gillingham (13)
    Luton (13)
    Margate (13)
    6 Hull (11)
    7 Erith (10)
    8= Coventry (9)
    Woolwich (9)
    10= Bradford (8)
    Dalston (8)
    Stoke-on-Trent (8)
    13 Oldham (7)
    14= Brighton (6)
    Burnley (6)
    Croydon (6)
    Dartford (6)
    Dover (6)
    Grays (6)
    Leicester (6)
    Newport (Gwent) (6)
    Sheerness (6)
    Slough (6)
    24= Basildon (5)
    Blackpool (5)
    Lewisham (5)
    Portsmouth (5)
    Shoreditch (5)
    Swansea (5)
    Swindon (5)

as a fan of Gravesend I am so pleased it hasn't made the top 30.

I agree that Gravesend is an unfairly maligned place. Reassuringly, it got only three votes as a Crap Town.

• Options
    Expect this to show up on a Middlesbrough fan site and lots of 'people in glass houses' comments to ensue......
  • Options

Expect this to show up on a Middlesbrough fan site and lots of 'people in glass houses' comments to ensue......

I think the broken windows are all around us - in Chatham, Gillingham, Erith, etc. But Middlesbrough really is something else. I went to a council estate where most of the houses were boarded-up, 'served' by a corner-shop with virtually nothing on the shelves, and overlooked by an industrial chimney emitting orange smoke.