Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, the Mayor of Bexley
  • Options

pettgra said:

Bexleyheath and I live there. A trip down the broadway is an experience I always look forward to.

What absolute drivel.

Bexleyheath is a standard suburban town, largely consisting of nicer than average semi-detached housing and populated by commuters and young families. It has a reasonable High St and shopping centre that attracts decent visitor figures and a number of top high st names. It also has very low crime and poverty figures, and walk around the Broadway and the predominent language you were hear is English, certainly in comparison to other similar suburban areas.

If people genuinely think Bexleyheath is one of the worst towns to live in, then they really haven't travelled much around the UK.

Couldn't have travelled much around London or Kent.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2013
    Probably been said but: Dover.

Hell hole. Couple of decent villages around it but the main town is not a nice place.
  • Options
    Preston.
  • Options
    If people really think Bexleyheath is really as bad as they try and make out, I can only think they must live in Utopia.
  • Options
    Slade Green. Lived there for 5 years. The only redeeming feature is that you get a seat on the train in the morning.
  • Options

Slade Green. Lived there for 5 years. The only redeeming feature is that you get a seat on the train in the morning.

lol

• Options
    Come on here to give my tuppence worth and give a defence of Preston. As with many places, people will have formed their opinions on the trip between the train/bus station and the ground. The eastern side of town (as with many places, due to the historical nature of housebuilding with a south-westerly predominant wind - this is where they built the housing for the workers in industrial towns) has some pretty grotty parts (including the eastern end of the city centre, which is very run down) - some further east are even worse. However, Preston has a history and at least used to have, a city centre to rival the likes of York etc. It still has gems left of its medieval street system and some stunning Regency buildings and parks, but you won't have seen any of them on the way to Deepdale. There are also some great Victorian parks (Avenham park on the River Ribble, a stone's throw from the city centre, is nothing short of magnificent and better than anything in London with the possible exception of Greenwich Park) all around the place. There is also the area around the riversway/docklands - historical and interesting. However, two things decimated the city centre. The first was the damage done by the Luftwaffe trying to bomb manufacturing sites, but this pales into insignificance next to the wilful destruction inflicted by concrete obsessed 1950s/1960s town planners. There are too many examples to list, but they did knock down the finest gothic town hall in England because of slight fire damage and replace it with concrete office block which then went on to be voted as the ugliest building in town on a regular basis. I only wish these selfish scum were still around so we could bloody lynch them!

Anyway, some thoughts on other candidates. I have deliberately avoided places such as Hull, Luton, Stevenage and Harlow because I know that they are shitholes - this means I can't put them on my list. However (in no particular order):

Stoke - had a mate that used to live there. His local park was basically a spoil tip. No redeeming features to that conurbation that I can see.
    Sheerness - Sheppey is just dodgy, full stop (noted the earlier mention for Leysdown....seconded)
    Strood - Chav city
    Grays/Thurrock - horrible
    Dover - been there a few times. Always overcome by the juxtaposition of the stunning setting and incredible countryside all around, but the undeniable shitness of that particular place in amongst it.
    Croydon - even without the Palace association, this is a 'grade A' shithole
    Slough - shitness personified
    Dalston/most of East London - I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Most of East London is a toilet, and Dalston illustrates why
    Thamesmead - our very own legendary shining beacon of shitness in SE London. Shitness on a scale that is really quite impressive
    Coventry/Birmingham/the West Midlands in general - just needs nuking and making into a nice big forest. Resent the fact that to get from the North, which I like, to the South, which I also like, I have to go through this vast swathe of shitness
    Oldham - grim
    Salford - hilarious that they have moved the media luvvies up there. In parts, this place is as dodgy as some of the worst parts of inner London. Most of Manchester's shit too - I read the nomination for Harpurhey and could not disagree one bit. There are other bits like that too.
    Speke - Liverpool is actually a really nice city in places (I prefer it to Manchester, actually), but this is one of the parts that is as rough as a badger's arse
    Blackpool - depressing, run down shithole-on-sea with an air of decline and decay. It is populated by permanently pissed, chain smoking benefit scroungers who will even start arguments with themselves if there is nobody else about. The sort of place you see lots of fat people on mobility scooters because they can't be arsed to walk to Greggs/the off licence any more and it pulls in a bit more on the social as they can now kid them themselves that they have a 'disability', when all they have is an 'inability' to get off their fat, lazy arses and earn a living rather than get pissed all day and watch Homes Under the Hammer.
    Cumbernauld - now we have some shit new towns, but you've got to hand it to the sweaties for taking it to another level. Google it, I dare you!
  • Options
    (1984) said:

Margate and Dover are deeply, deeply depressing, they've got that kind of no hope feel that you normally only find in Northern pit towns.

There used to be mines near Dover and Margate (or rather Ramsgate to be precise) so perhaps not so surprising.
  • Options

Originally from Ashford (Kent) and hate going back coz it surely is a s*** hole! But Brentwood is right up there in the 'pointless' category, as is Leighton Buzzard and anywhere remotely linked to Luton/Aylesbury/Watford. They all have no real purpose to exist to be fair! I so love living in Norwich. It's a beautiful place and even I feel intelligent living amongst the Norfolk folk (f*****g worst drivers in the world though! Read your Highway Code to help you understand what your indicators are for and what to do at a roundabout!).

Watford is a bit underrated in my view - plenty of solid older housing, lots of amenities some lovely areas around Cassiobury Park, and close to very nice countryside as well as M25/M1 and main line railway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lewisham - mainly referring to the high street area. Sh!thole.

Woolwich - Same. Never feel safe walking around there.
  • Options

Never been there, but someone once told me that if God was giving the earth an enema, he'd stick the tube in Retford.

Something up with your hearing. Retford is a pleasant Market town. Must have said Deptford?

Croydon gets my vote. Runner up Luton.

Funnily enough, I'm from Deptford. Also, I am getting a bit Mutt.

However, the bloke definitely said Retford. I guess he thought it to be a shit hole.
    Not knocking Deptford - was born only a few miles from there myself. but I've got to defend Retford in this company! Here's what Bill Bryson said about it in "Notes from a Small Island":

'Retford, I am pleased to report, is a delightful and charming place even under the sort of oppressive grey clouds that make far more celebrated towns seem dreary and tired. Its centrepiece is an exceptionally large and handsome market square lined with a picturesque jumble of noble Georgian buildings. Beside the main church stood a weighty black cannon with a plaque saying 'Captured at Sevastopol 1855', which I thought was a remarkable piece of initiative on the part of the locals - it's not every day, after all, that you find a Nottinghamshire market town storming a Crimean redoubt and bringing home booty - and the shops seemed prosperous and well ordered.'

Croydon, on the other hand....

Croydon doesn't need any help from you. Talking about Notts, Retford is casually dysfunctional. Have you ever been to Worksop?

Errr...yes. Voted fat bastard capital of the UK by that reliable source of vital info The Sun. Good place to get a cheap breakfast or a greasy chip cob....but hardly worth a mention as a s*hole in this company.
  • Options
    Cumbernauld is a complete shithole but was recently beaten in the Scottish pluke of the year awards by the delightful small town of New Cumnock!
  • Options

Tonbridge? Oh, for FFS do have a word with yourselves!

If you think Tonbridge is anywhere NEAR being a crap town you need to get a rail pass and take a look around the UK a bit more closely.

@g Monte Carlo.

Quote: "Why don't you just accept people have a different point of view and are free to express it?

If you don't like it tough shit."
    Unquote
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone who went to Barnsley on Saturday want to nominate it as a Crap Town?

Blackpool is the "poorest" of England's seaside towns, according to a report published today by the Office for National Statistics that considered data on health, housing and employment. The poorest Top Ten are:

1. Blackpool
    2. Clacton
    3. Hastings
    4. Ramsgate
    5. Margate
    6. Hartlepool
    7. Great Yarmouth
    8. South Shields
    9. Barrow-in-Furness
    10. Sunderland
  • Options
    I've said Basingstoke before but I'm going to chip in again with three absolute hell holes just north of the Thames:

Grays, Purfleet and Tilbury. Shocking, dead places which wouldn't be out of place in somewhere like Chechyna. North Woolwich is also just weird and a bit scary.
  • Options

I've said Basingstoke before but I'm going to chip in again with three absolute hell holes just north of the Thames:

Grays, Purfleet and Tilbury. Shocking, dead places which wouldn't be out of place in somewhere like Chechyna. North Woolwich is also just weird and a bit scary.

Multiple votes for the same place are allowed - I've recorded another cross from you against Basingstoke. And yes - Grays, Purfleet and Tilbury are all supreme shit-holes. Keep the votes coming - I'll post the revised league table of Lifers' Crap Towns in due course....

• Options
    Stevenage
    Rotherham
    Erith-Upon-Thames
    Scarborough
    Stockport
  • Options

Doesn't anyone who went to Barnsley on Saturday want to nominate it as a Crap Town?

Blackpool is the "poorest" of England's seaside towns, according to a report published today by the Office for National Statistics that considered data on health, housing and employment. The poorest Top Ten are:

1. Blackpool
    2. Clacton
    3. Hastings
    4. Ramsgate
    5. Margate
    6. Hartlepool
    7. Great Yarmouth
    8. South Shields
    9. Barrow-in-Furness
    10. Sunderland

How Margate didn't top that list , I don't know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1. Blackpool
    2. Clacton
    3. Hastings
    4. Ramsgate
    5. Margate
    6. Hartlepool
    7. Great Yarmouth
    8. South Shields
    9. Barrow-in-Furness
    10. Sunderland

I take that as a vote for Margate, Bedsaddick. And congratulations - you are the 500th poster on this thread and have won a prize. It's a lovely stick of rock from - Margate.

• Options

1. Blackpool
    2. Clacton
    3. Hastings
    4. Ramsgate
    5. Margate
    6. Hartlepool
    7. Great Yarmouth
    8. South Shields
    9. Barrow-in-Furness
    10. Sunderland

I take that as a vote for Margate, Bedsaddick. And congratulations - you are the 500th poster on this thread and have won a prize. It's a lovely stick of rock from - Margate.

I'm afraid I can't accept the rock as I was the the one who started the thread way back when and the other posters will suspect scull sugary :)
  • Options

1. Blackpool
    2. Clacton
    3. Hastings
    4. Ramsgate
    5. Margate
    6. Hartlepool
    7. Great Yarmouth
    8. South Shields
    9. Barrow-in-Furness
    10. Sunderland

I'm afraid I can't accept the rock as I was the the one who started the thread way back when and the other posters will suspect scull sugary :)
    Oh, that's all right - I'll bung it in a brown envelope and no-one will be any the wiser.

• Options
    Stabbing in Bexleyheath McDonalds tonight.
  • Options
    Phew! Glad no-one's picked on my home town, Ilford .... Fleetwood in Lancs -now there's an absolute hovel. Great Yarmouth too, all the locals have wonky-eye syndrome. Basildon must win it for architecture, I mean it was a joke wasn't it?
  • Options
    Watford.
  • Options
    I went to leysdown over the bank holiday weekend. I'd been there as a kid and so my memory was hazy because it was probably 50 years ago but i'd won a red plastic plane that unfortunaly only made its maiden flight and was crushed on landing by a lorry.

anyhow wanted to go back to win another plane, stayed 5 mins before fleeing

it was the pits

and the inhabitants mutents from some dreadful nuclear fall out?
  • Options

Watford.

good shout.

• Options
    Hereford. Maybe not a classic shithole as Countryside is pretty enough and the cathedral etc is nice but there's nothing there. Football ground is located next to a never ending car park and all the people there are wrong uns. Saw hookers wandering around as well, one getting cash off an old man outside a public toilets and another wandering around the city centre. Terrible drivers as well. Having said that people from stoke would think it looked like Monte Carlo (!)
  • Options

Watford.

This.

what an absolute dog turd of a place.