Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Rotherham - Sheffield's toilet
    Luton
    Gravesend
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

(1984) said:

Margate and Dover are deeply, deeply depressing, they've got that kind of no hope feel that you normally only find in Northern pit towns.

There used to be mines near Dover and Margate (or rather Ramsgate to be precise) so perhaps not so surprising.
    Not really near Ramsgate at all - in fact, Canterbury is about the same distance away as Thanet. The pit villages are set in pretty countryside with Deal and Sandwich much nearer towns. I don't think Sandwich has much resemblance to a mining community!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

(1984) said:

Margate and Dover are deeply, deeply depressing, they've got that kind of no hope feel that you normally only find in Northern pit towns.

There used to be mines near Dover and Margate (or rather Ramsgate to be precise) so perhaps not so surprising.
    Not really near Ramsgate at all - in fact, Canterbury is about the same distance away as Thanet. The pit villages are set in pretty countryside with Deal and Sandwich much nearer towns. I don't think Sandwich has much resemblance to a mining community!
    That's true: Tilmanstone, Snowdown and Betteshanger are a world away from Grimethorpe!

• Options
    Wolverhampton has to be the vilest place I have ever blessed with my presence
  • Options
    Gillingham is my least favourite
  • Options
    getting this thread ready for those coming back from Huddersfield today.
  • Options
    Huddersfield really isn't that bad at all.

Are we allowed to nominate an entire region? If so, the west midlands gets my vote.
  • Options
    Must agree with comment above and go for Bradford. Worked for Jacuzzi UK for 6 years and their HO and factory were located just outside the town and I spent many nights in the Hilton (yes it has got one) by the railway station. Never much left the hotel as unsafe and I was both the wrong skin colour and from London so double wammy. Saw more decorations and lights in the street than anywhere else but never at Christmas!
    Second worst Newport in Wales.
  • Options
    stevec said:

...Second worst Newport in Wales.

Had a mate who went to work in Newport. When he started there, his work mates gave him a map of the town marking out safe and unsafe areas.
  • Options
    Blackpool - Bolton and Burnley got to be up there.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

While your on B's - Bedford and Bridgewater
  • Options
    Did some work up in Blackpool for a few days. I think, as a population they must be the ugliest people in the country. Did not see a single person "easy on the eye" up there.
  • Options

Barnehurst, Bromley by Bow, Billericay, Basildon
  • Options
    Stig said:

stevec said:

Had a mate who went to work in Newport. When he started there, his work mates gave him a map of the town marking out safe and unsafe areas.
    Oi im from newport it aint all that bad! Although some parts do look like a third world country
  • Options
    Stig said:

stevec said:

we could do with similar for London .. many cities and towns come to that
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Barnehurst, Bromley by Bow, Billericay, Basildon
    Riduculous (sp) Barnehurst and Basildon ? I am only remarking on places that I have actually been to, don't spose Blackburn or Bradford are great
  • Options
    That is a bit daft barnehurst being mentioned, when it is really just a boring non descript suburb, not exactly a shit town. I see ramsgate mentioned as a poor town which is odd too when you see no mention of folkestone, dover, Margate or even herne bay. It is a much better town than any of those mentioned.
  • Options

That is a bit daft barnehurst being mentioned, when it is really just a boring non descript suburb, not exactly a shit town. I see ramsgate mentioned as a poor town which is odd too when you see no mention of folkestone, dover, Margate or even herne bay. It is a much better town than any of those mentioned.

Wasnt Ramsgate the town where Buster Bloodvessel owned a hotel called Fatty Towers?
  • Options
    Luton, Peterborough, Bedford, Corby, Northampton, Stevenage and dishonourable mention for Kings Lynn. Noticing a theme? Huddersfield positively dandy in comparison. Ramsgate not a patch on Margate btw.
  • Options
    Thought Huddersfield was an odd place. Weird second hand market thing and a load of pawnbrokers yet every bloke had a gleaming pair of Adidas Gazelles on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richmond. What a dump.
  • Options
    As I'm currently living 7 miles out from Huddersfield in town of Holmfirth (where last of the summer wine was filmed) Hudds isn't great but not as bad as most towns mentioned on here. Nearby I have to say Dewsbury and Barnsley they both don't like outsiders.
  • Options
    Barnet, is a shite hole gone right down hill
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Huddersfield isn't a shite hole it's just a bit odd and dull.

Barnsley has a sense of 'deliverance' about it. Don't look kindly on out of towners and makes Watford's gene pool look positively worldly.

As others have said, Bradford for me is the worst. I've recently been to shanty towns in Asia that I first thought reminded me of Bradford until I realised the shanty towns pubs and shops weren't all boarded up.

As a region gotta agree with the midlands as a whole. At least the shite northern towns are usually a good night out.
  • Options
    Stoke Newington
  • Options
    Redcar

Coalville
  • Options
    Had the pleasure of visiting Newstead near Nottingham today. Christ! What a shit pit that is!
  • Options
    Grimsby is hands-down the worst place I will ever visit. I've seen more life in a morgue. Even on a sunny day the whole place seems grey and bleak. Boring, identikit buildings that are either boarded up or are leased to the same chains you see in every other run-down northern shitheap. The local populace shuffle around staring at their feet and no one ever seems to smile. It feels utterly suicidal to the point where you struggle to breathe. A soul-destroying experience.
  • Options
    Here in Donny this week we have had an armed robbery, two other instances of people being threatened with guns, our schools are about the worst in the country, oh and a bloke got four years for having sex with a Shetland Pony called Sky. Such a lovely place to live!
  • Options

Here in Donny this week we have had an armed robbery, two other instances of people being threatened with guns, our schools are about the worst in the country, oh and a bloke got four years for having sex with a Shetland Pony called Sky. Such a lovely place to live!

Must have been without consent.