Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

University/Polytechnic/College/U of Life - which one?

edited September 2010 in Not Sports Related
Manchester Polytechnic 1987-1991
2:1 BSc (Hons) Food Science

any 1sts or 3rds out there??

Comments

• Sheffield Hallam 1999-2002
    2:2 BA (Hons) Social work Studies

Would have liked to have got a better result, but didn't care in the last year about grades. had my second daughter, moved to a new big house and was working 3 nights a week in term time to pay the mortgage. lets face it with 1000's social work posts empty you'd have to be really crap to be out of work!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Manchester Polytechnic 1987-1991
    2:1 BSc (Hons) Food Science
    Oh I'm jealous. I had a DE offer for Reading's Food Science BSc, but had to turn it down as I was diagnosed with a skin condition during my A-Levels that meant I'd be unlikely to get a food hygiene certificate. (On the plus side, if I'm ever long term unemployed, the job centre can't make me work in MacDonalds)
  • Skool only. And only just finished that init
  • Not telling you where I went (social engineer's wet dream!) but I got a 2:1 in Geology then an MSc in Palaeontology from 92-96. This could be an interesting thread - I bet there are some Lifers out there with more obscure degrees than that!
  • Erith College 83- 86 ONC. Mech & Prod Eng.
    NWK College 86 - 88 HNC. Mech & Prod Eng.
    Erith College 88-91. Diploma in Ind Management.
    Open University. 96 - 01. MSc Manufacturing.
  • Canterbury Christ Church 2004-05: MA in Management Studies (Passed with distinction)
  • Behavioural Science- BSc - 1988-92.
    Ended up with a 'gentleman's third' after
    1) being jetlagged for one of the exams- (long story)
    2) having a dispute with one of the tutors. Some research & ideas I had worked on strangely ended up becoming her idea and research.
    I wouldn't let it lie.

I then left Cardiff and from 1993-4 I did a Post Grad in Education at the dreaming spires of Nene Collage Northampton.
    It's probably a uni now!
  • Univ. Of Bristol, 1992 - 1996 LLB.
  • Croydon college of art and design 1970-1974: MSIAD.3 Dip art and design, Foundation diploma 1 year.

Coloma Teacher training college ( University of London) postgraduate certicate in teaching 1974.

Turned down a MA course at the Royal college of art, as I could not get a full grant even in those days, which was fair enough as I had had a full grant for 5 years.

Must admit I would now not have been able to go to Art college/University these days due to my financial circumstances at the time.
    I personally feel this is incredably devisive, and although I feel that students should be on endless courses at the tax payers expense, the system that seems to discriminate against ability , because you have middle class parents who can pay for private tutoring and upporting your child through University/further education should be open to all, and based first on ability.

The desire/aspiration to have a quota of 50 percent of students going to Uni is great in principal, but wether this is the fairest system, and best for the country is somewhat debatable.
    Great that people want to go to Uni, and those who can afford will probably always find a way.

A right to me to a state sponsored free educaion, is the same as a right to a free health system, based on need, not ability to pay.

When the Labour goverment abondoned this principle, however 'flawed', however 'uneconomic' I stopped voting Labour.

Still feel that middle class, and public school educated people still get into the best Uni's and jobs.
  • University of Greenwich 1997-2000
    2:2 BA (Hons) Media and Politics
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2010
    Lancaster University 2003-2007
    2:1 Msci (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics.

Complete waste of time, wish I hadn't bothered.
  • University of Greenwich 93-96 BA H Politics 2:1
    University of Greenwich 99 PgDip Political Studies

[cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]University of Greenwich 1997-2000
    2:2 BA (Hons) Media and Politics

Oh and I would have had the honour of producing, checking and stamping your certificate. If the seal is wonky - sorry.
  • edited September 2010
    Thames Polytechnic BA (Hons) Business Studies (2.2) back in the days of Life On Mars and The Sweeney.
  • Colfe's at Lewisham till 16
    King Edward VII Nautical College at Stepney for 1 year
    Life at sea - now that was an education!
  • Just started my PGCE at Goldsmiths and I'm absolutely loving it. Going to go straight onto a masters afterwards.

Foundation Certificate in Art and Design, Central Saint Martins. 1991.
    BA(hons) 2:1 Fine Art, Newcastle. 1995.
  • Brighton Uni 2003-2006
    BA (Hons) International Finance and Capital Market Studies - Desmond
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Lancaster University 2003-2007
    2:1 Msci (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics.

Complete waste of time, wish I hadn't bothered.
    You say that now, but believe me, a Maths degree is one of the best you can get - on account of it's f***ing hard to get. In a few years, you won't regret it, believe me.
  • Just started my PGCE at Goldsmiths and I'm absolutely loving it. Going to go straight onto a masters afterwards.

Foundation Certificate in Art and Design, Central Saint Martins. 1991.
    BA(hons) 2:1 Fine Art, Newcastle. 1995.

Why are you doing a Masters Valley, having done the PGCE, how does that work with teaching!..... just interested.
  • edited September 2010
    University of Strathclyde Business with Single Hons in Marketing 2:1 (1990)
    Birmingham University MBA (1999)
  • Dropped out of 6th form half way through A levels. Was given a talk by the vice prin about shaping up or shipping out. Shipped out that afternoon.

Later studies Psychology with the OU, BSc 2:1 (hons). Followed that up with post grad diplomas in Communications and Marketing.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    University of Wales, Swansea 2001-2004
    2:2 BSc Business Studies & Marketing

Cracking three years of my life and Swansea sometimes gets a bad press but I wouldnt change my choice for anywhere else. Made some cracking mates on my course and at uni. Having a football team reunion next year down there, people coming back from the US, Australia and Dartford...

Can't wait.

London Bridge Business Academy 2006-2008
    Chartered Institute of Marketing - Professional Diploma

Funded by work but allowed me to go from WSS to WSS ACIM. Gotta love some letters. ;-)
  • Left school as soon as I could with 4 GCSE (grade C).

Never done me no harm, always worked (very hard) started at the bottom, but doing nicely now.

Best thing I ever did.
  • University of Birmingham 2001 - 2004
    2:1 BSc(Hons) Resource and Applied Geology
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not telling you where I went (social engineer's wet dream!) but I got a 2:1 in Geology then an MSc in Palaeontology from 92-96. This could be an interesting thread - I bet there are some Lifers out there with more obscure degrees than that!
    Palaeontology? Are we talking fun with fossils or something much more dull? And how the hell did you end up in IT after that?
  • Got a Bachelor of Business in Management from I.T Tralee, degree isn't even worth the paper it was written on.
  • B Pharm. Hons 2:1 University of London 1982 I studied with Mrs Lat who has the brains and got a B Pharm 1st class honours declined a PhD and also had a place to do Medicine in 1982 which she also declined as she had always wanted to be a Boots Pharmacist! She no longer is, now Associate Director in a PCT but like all those employed by PCTs will lose her job in 2 years Max. Great time at Uni and wonderful lives since. If I hadnt gone to Uni would have joined the police force. Going to University 30+ years ago was not common offers were somewhat different, mine was DDD, now I would have needed AAB and wouldn't have got in!
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not telling you where I went (social engineer's wet dream!) but I got a 2:1 in Geology then an MSc in Palaeontology from 92-96. This could be an interesting thread - I bet there are some Lifers out there with more obscure degrees than that!
    Palaeontology? Are we talking fun with fossils or something much more dull? And how the hell did you end up in IT after that?
    Hah. Always wanted to do it - ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, by the time I'd matured, the prospect of spending ten months of every year in a dank, dark basement - with the other two on a windswept freezing cold beach or baked under the desert sun - didn't appeal. I moved into IT because I discovered I liked doing it - lucky enough to find something else in my life I enjoyed doing enouhg to want to make a career out of it after my 'first love' didn't pan out.

My masters was in the evolution and diversification of bivalves from the Ordovician through the Silurian and into the Devonian. Amazingly, even duller than it sounds.
  • University of Kent: 2008-2011.

3rd Year of a Law Degree (LLB)
  • University of Greenwich 1994-97
    BA (Hons) Economics

Completed CIMA qualification whilst working at King's College London and Birkbeck College, University of London 2001-2005

Now working at Queen Mary, University of London since 2005.
    Currently doing the AUA (Association of University Administrators) Postgrad Diploma and have been offered a chance to do a MBA from next September.

So you could say I've spent more years at University than most ;-)
  • Birmingham University 1980-83 BSc Chemical Engineering 2.2

Qualified as a Master Brewer in 1991

Travelled the world with Heineken and expecting to be back home in 2012