Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

University/Polytechnic/College/U of Life - which one?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2010
    University College London 2006-2010. BSc Geology followed by Masters in Geophysics 2:1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Killarahales[/cite]Birmingham University 1980-83 BSc Chemical Engineering 2.2

Qualified as a Master Brewer in 1991

Travelled the world with Heineken and expecting to be back home in 2012

Heinneken use brewers - who knew?!
  • Options
    Just started my PGCE at Goldsmiths and I'm absolutely loving it. Going to go straight onto a masters afterwards.

Foundation Certificate in Art and Design, Central Saint Martins. 1991.
    BA(hons) 2:1 Fine Art, Newcastle. 1995.

Why are you doing a Masters Valley, having done the PGCE, how does that work with teaching!..... just interested.
    I'm not doing a masters, I started my PGCE last week. The PGCE assignment content at Goldsmiths counts towards a third of a masters. I'll go onto do a masters as I have a research project in mind.
  • Options
    University of Exeter BA Hons Politics 2:1 (98-01)

University of Bath Masters European Social Policy (03-04)

University of Birmingham PhD Political Science (07-10)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Lancaster University 2003-2007
    2:1 Msci (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics.

Complete waste of time, wish I hadn't bothered.
    You say that now, but believe me, a Maths degree is one of the best you can get - on account of it's f***ing hard to get. In a few years, you won't regret it, believe me.
    Cheers.
    [cite]Posted By: Killarahales[/cite]Birmingham University 1980-83 BSc Chemical Engineering 2.2

Qualified as a Master Brewer in 1991

Travelled the world with Heineken and expecting to be back home in 2012
    Nice!! That sounds like something I should get in to!
  • Options
    BSC Science and Social Science of sport
    Roehampton Institute
    93-96

An interesting few years. Learnt some good stuff. Despite my career being a long way from sport a lot of stuff i learnt has come in handy at times. Especially the maths side of things.
  • Options
    University of Warwick 2002-2006
    MEng in Computer Science, Class One
  • Options
    MA Hons Modern and Mediaeval Languages (French and Dutch) at Cambridge and Utrecht. Yes, included studying Mediaeval Dutch literature. Why? Well, why not?!

My last two final exams were on the Saturday after the play-off final replay v Leeds at St Andrews. I didn't make it to the game, but listened on the radio. Was in such a mixed up emotional state the next day that I got a third in one and a first in the other for those two papers...Managed to average out at a 2:1 overall.
  • Options
    University of Sussex 2006-2010
    2:1 BA (Hons) in English Literature
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]University of Exeter BA Hons Politics 2:1 (98-01)

University of Birmingham PhD Political Science (07-10)

But have you got a job?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Masters from the University of Life!

I do regret not going to uni.. not from a work point of view, but the social side!
  • Options
    I too stopped schooling after my A levels.

Can't say I regret not going to Uni - I gave it some consideration but didn't want to live in squalor for 4 years getting into humungous amounts of debt in the process.

Life's going ok so can't grumble
  • Options
    Double first (Hons) fron Kings College Oxford in English Literature and Economics 1988- 1992

Double Masters in Political Science and Philosophy from imperial College London 1995-1997

Phd Queens College Cambridge in bullshit 1999-2004
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've actually got a desmond, BSc(Hons) in Computer Science (information systems engineering) from the University of Greenwich 1992 - 1997 (Before it was actually in Greenwich)

Two years full time one year placement, two years part - time, missed a final year exam after spending the night in hospital when my stepson injured his skull and eye socket playing cricket, would have finished with at least a 2.1 but for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I too stopped schooling after my A levels.

Can't say I regret not going to Uni - I gave it some consideration but didn't want to live in squalor for 4 years getting into humungous amounts of debt in the process.

Life's going ok so can't grumble
    Living in squalor is probably the best lesson you learn at uni, you get thrown right in the deep end very quickly and have to learn fast, it gets rid of a lot of the egos, well apart from mummy and daddy's bright little thing that gets everything paid for them and their loan deposited in to a high interest account ready for them to travel the world upon graduation before sinking in to a job they are incapable of doing for their parents firm. Best lesson learnt? Perhaps only decent would have been more apt, well that and it's not what you know but who you know. Anyway, it's also not real squalor (in the sense that you can get saved if you're in real shite and have enough holiday to get a full time job) so you don't have to suffer the stress of real life squalor, they save that until you graduate with a 5 figure loan to pay back in the middle of a global recession caused my the parents of that rich kid who's currently in South America. There's a real us and them culture in universities.
  • Options
    Didn't go to Uni myself. When I was looking at Universities for my son a few years back though I realised what I'd missed out on from all points of view - the rarefied learning atmosphere, the social side, the opportunities that will open up, even in a recession.
  • Options
    Left schooling after A levels, kind of had to as I left home at 17 and needed to support myself financially.
    Always regretted not doing better at school & sometimes feel like my life has been a lot of mistakes and missed opportunities, find myself looking back quite a bit and wishing I had done more or hadn't done some of the things I have.
  • Options
    7 A's at school...then drama Btech honours at college...never needed any of them LOL.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]University of Exeter BA Hons Politics 2:1 (98-01)

University of Birmingham PhD Political Science (07-10)[/quote]

But have you got a job?[/quote]

Yep and in all the gaps in between and during to pay for it all!
  • Options
    I've got a spirit level and an o ring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless you were minted, when I was a kid you went to work or signed on.
    Got a print apprenticeship (compositor) in 1980 and went to the Elephant and Castle College of Print. Passed after five years and I can now because I am a Gentlemen Compositor I can wear a sword in the City of London, might give it a go, after a few beers could be a right laugh!

Never had a gap year!! Lazy gits, also why has University become Uni? School is not called Sch is it? Or College Col? Gets right on my throps that does!!

Carry On!
  • Options
    Did a year at Thames Poly in the 80s, Sociology, sadly my abiltiy to study was somewhat compromised by alcohol and my pursuit of, football, women and fun and games as a member of the TA!

In recent years I completed a degree equivalent qualification.

Now very busy drumming into my 14 year old son the need to study hard and get to Uni, luckily he is listening.
  • Options
    Unless you were minted, when I was a kid you went to work or signed on.
    Got a print apprenticeship (compositor) in 1980 and went to the Elephant and Castle College of Print. Passed after five years and I can now because I am a Gentlemen Compositor I can wear a sword in the City of London, might give it a go, after a few beers could be a right laugh!

Never had a gap year!! Lazy gits, also why has University become Uni? School is not called Sch is it? Or College Col? Gets right on my throps that does!!

Carry On!

I have never met a compositor yet who was a gentelman! bibble...... so where did you work in the print! you must be the first........

FT and Sunday Telegraph myself in the early 80s as a designer, really enjoyed it just prior to computerisation...... casting of Nimrod 8/9pt, kerning, on the stone, the last day's of fleet street, drinks in the pub on a friday lunchtime.

The FT at Bracken house was a good place to work and the people were good pals, Probably the best job I have ever had, because people worked together to get the paper out and somehow it always did.

I was going to work on the express at there new premises on Hungerford Bridge, I was just discussing salary and the design director got a call from upstairs to lay off staff, ten minutes later I was out on the street, portfolio in hand!

Such is lif in the world of the media
  • Options
    Despite being earmarked for great things from all my teachers I fell away badly. Whether it was because I was constantly being told how clever I was and took my foot off the gas; or if it was the early discovery of beer and the ability to make people (girls) laugh in class that caused my educational downfall I'm not sure.
    I deeply regret not going onto further education. I took 10 O-Levels in 1982 and passed only 2. That was a bit of a wake up call. I studied some again and ended up with 7. I didn't want to then start A-levels at the age of 19 and went to work.
    Although I have done very well for myself I do feel as I missed out. Not meaning to sound disrespectful but in my day to get to University really was an achievement. There were not so many about. Uni of Greenwich was Avery Hill College/Thames Poly and many more of today’s Uni's were Polys etc too.
    I am doing all possible that my boys don't make the same mistake.
  • Options
    Can relate to Chirpy's post a little. Got a handful of B,C and D GCSEs and then went out to work. Not a single person in my family has ever attempted an A-level, so never really come from a studying background, and wished now i had pushed myself a bit instead of doing the bare minimums.

Some impressive qualifications on here, some of you should be proud of your achievements.
  • Options
    I achieved absolutly nothing of any note. I never made any effort to do any work let alone pass "O" levels that I was entered for.
    So at 16 I went to work and did as litltle as possible ever since.

I now "work" as a technician at a London University.

Does that count as attending University?
  • Options
    I have never met a compositor yet who was a gentelman! bibble...... so where did you work in the print! you must be the first........

FT and Sunday Telegraph myself in the early 80s as a designer, really enjoyed it just prior to computerisation...... casting of Nimrod 8/9pt, kerning, on the stone, the last day's of fleet street, drinks in the pub on a friday lunchtime.

The FT at Bracken house was a good place to work and the people were good pals, Probably the best job I have ever had, because people worked together to get the paper out and somehow it always did.

I was going to work on the express at there new premises on Hungerford Bridge, I was just discussing salary and the design director got a call from upstairs to lay off staff, ten minutes later I was out on the street, portfolio in hand!

Such is lif in the world of the media[/quote]

HAHA Ken...I have to agree with the (non) Gentlemanly Comp comments! Did my apprenticeship at The Cray Press in Footscray. Got my 3 City and Guilds from LCP in 1984 (took them a year early, cos i decided to apply myself and not sod about). Print was a family thing, My grandfather was a reader on the Telegraph most of his life, my dad was a linotype operator on the Express and Evening Standard and was FOC (Father of the Chapel), I did a couple of nights casual on the Express cos I was qualified on the old linotype machines, hot metal type, great fun, Ive still got the burns!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Can relate to Chirpy's post a little. Got a handful of B,C and D GCSEs and then went out to work. Not a single person in my family has ever attempted an A-level, so never really come from a studying background, and wished now i had pushed myself a bit instead of doing the bare minimums.

Some impressive qualifications on here, some of you should be proud of your achievements.

No one from my family had ever taken an 'A' Level either. In some ways that adds to the pressure, in some ways it takes it away.

It does make it very difficult to source help and advice about things from those that are closest to you (parents and older brothers and sisters) but it also prevents comparisons that can be de-motivating.

Having been to University I would do everything I could to encourage my son to go. In all honesty I’m not sure it has helped my career all that much, but it I had a great time, and I matured much more than I think I would have done had I not gone.

Thankfully for me I went long enough ago that I didn’t come out with too much debt. In the late 80s there were still grants available, and there was always work over the summer months to repay debt and build up a war chest for the next year.

My thought, for what it’s worth, is that many of the degrees today are not worth having based on what they cost and what the actual benefit is when you graduate. A degree in horse brushing and train spotting from The University of Nowhere, for example, is probably not going to increase your earning potential enough during your lifetime to repay the three years lost income and the £40k worth of debt you’ll probably leave with – but that’s probably a discussion for another day.

BA (Hons) Business Studies and IT from University of Kent 1989-92
    MBA Sheffield University 1992-93
  • Options
    BA(Hons) in Natural Sciences 92-94 (university name withheld to protect their reputation, seeing as I only got a third)
    PGCE in Secondary Science with Chemistry 94-95

I think there's a lot to be gained from going to university aside from the potential career prospects at the end of it, and if you're academically inclined then the potential debt shouldn't put you off. That said, if your talents are more practical than academic, then actually getting out into the real world and getting some decent experience is probably going to do you more good than three years living the student life. For example, my cousin got straight Ds at GCSE, but was really into graphic design and got himself an apprenticeship at 16. He now has his own very successful business, and I suspect earns significantly more than I do.