Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Funny old league this one.

We "drop" two points and are in the same position and same number of points from the top of the league. Still need to take chances when those around us slip up. Sounded like a promising opening 30 mins and then some resolute defending.

Views?

Comments

• Options
    Oldham, Exeter, and now Tranmere. We should be beating teams like this.
  • Options
    Funny old league again. We were joint top bar GD after half hour.

We were walking the league up to this point last year. Hopefully we can stay within touching distance of the top two until christmas and then push on new year and hope teams above us have blips.

Need to be winning games like this against the bottom sides if promotion is to be one the cards and certainly need to make sure we dont drop any points at home.

This league is winnable by any number of teams i reckon and itll be down to who can get a good run together at the right time.
  • Options
    BBC Match Stats:

Possession

* Tranmere 47%
    * Charlton 53%

Attempts on target

* Tranmere 3
    * Charlton 3

Attempts off target

* Tranmere 6
    * Charlton 7

Corners

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 4

Fouls

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 23

Look at that fouls stat!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Probably not the worst result away from home, but when you compare this result to last year against Tranmere it does get you thinking that we really should be beating teams like this if we are to have any possibility of going up- admittedly Tranmere are much improved from the shower they were under John Barnes but still......
    We are all still packed in close together and despite our 2 away defeats we are still in the mix, I am a bit concerned about the lack of goals from strikers/chances created for strikers situation though- this needs to improve sooner rather than later,perhaps the gelling is still taking place(hope hope). On the bright side it is better than a last minute defeat to Exeter City though!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Were not picking up victories against the weaker teams in the division.
    After Dagenham we play:
    MK Dons (Home)
    Brentford (Away)
    Plymouth (Away)
    Brighton (Home)
    Carlise (Away)
    Sheffield Wednesday (Home)
    Swindon (Away)
    Peterboro (Away)

Wouldn't be suprised if were nearby the relegation zone after these fixtures.
    Definately can't see us winning many of these matches.
  • Options
    Any point/s away from home are welcome.

Heartened by the fact that it sounds like we stood up to a physical battering.

BBC gives us more possession and marginally better stats on chances.

Will wait for the views of those who were there, but it sounds like a lack of service for the forwards again.

Next 2 are winnable. 7 from 9 would be ok.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcSteve[/cite]Were not picking up victories against the weaker teams in the division.
    After Dagenham we play:
    MK Dons (Home)
    Brentford (Away)
    Plymouth (Away)
    Brighton (Home)
    Carlise (Away)
    Sheffield Wednesday (Home)
    Swindon (Away)
    Peterboro (Away)

Wouldn't be suprised if were nearby the relegation zone after these fixtures.
    Definately can't see us winning many of these matches.
    Want to borrow a razor? Jesus - you are the most depressing poster I've ever seen.
  • Options
    "the next two are winnable" ---------------er wasnt that a day ago "the next three are winnable" ?

To get out of this league we have to beat teams like Tranmere.
  • Options
    Wasn't there, listened on CAFC Player, seems similar to a lot of away games last year, when we drew away at games like Yeovil, Brentford, Exeter etc.

I'm still worried we don't create enough and take enough shots and therefore don't score enough goals. Seems decent enough defensively but a few extra goals here and there could turn games like these into wins, and narrow defeats into draws.

If we win the next couple of games it'll be a decent result, but will we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]To get out of this league we have to beat teams like Tranmere.
    To get out of this league we need to win 20 something games, draw at least 10 or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we will do better against some of the more physical teams this time round. Last year we lost heavily to Colchester and Carlisle for instance. Get a draw or better at both of those and we've made up the 2 points "dropped" today.

We have a lot of new players and were by no means at full strength with Elliot, Dailly, Youga and even, arguably, Solly all missing.

46 games in a season we've played 7. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • Options
    predictable result for a predictable side atm
    where's all the comparable results from last season fruits who pop up
    0% automatic promotion 40% make play offs 60% we stay in this league as one of the biggest joke clubs in this joke league
  • Options
    Fancied it to be a draw, so not surprised.

I refuse to 'panic' like some others, and this is why.

After 7 games last season, we had 19 points and achieved nothing.

After 7 games last season, Norwich had 8 points and Millwall had 7 points.

We have absolutely no idea how the season is going to pan out, whether things will click or not, or whether certain players will find a rich vein of form. At this point last season, Steve Morison was getting dogs abuse at Millwall as they could not understand why Jackett had bought him.

Seasons are not decided in the first seven games of the season.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]BBC Match Stats:

Possession

* Tranmere 47%
    * Charlton 53%

Attempts on target

* Tranmere 3
    * Charlton 3

Attempts off target

* Tranmere 6
    * Charlton 7

Corners

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 4

Fouls

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 23

Look at that fouls stat!

Wasnt at the game but listened on cafc player and according to the commentators they were kicking hell out of us for 90 mins and the ref just turned a blind eye to everything. yet the slightest thing against us, he was quick to award them whatever they appealed for. Anyone at the game see it this way?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Fancied it to be a draw, so not surprised.

We have absolutely no idea how the season is going to pan out, whether things will click or not, or whether certain players will find a rich vein of form. At this point last season, Steve Morison was getting dogs abuse at Millwall as they could not understand why Jackett had bought him.

I don't see any standout teams in this division this year, I know it's early days but there don't seem to be any Norwich or Leeds around - you would expect maybe Sheffield Wednesday or Southampton to be the major threats but both seem to be in a mess at this stage. A point at Tranmere for me is a better result than a home draw with Colchester or defeat at Plymouth. I think we have the potential to do pretty well and match the Peterboroughs & Huddersfields this season, if the key players step up to the plate. Certainly far too early in the season to be looking for the razorblades (even for Saints fans).
  • Options

What Smudge said
  • Options

^ This
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]BBC Match Stats:

Possession

* Tranmere 47%
    * Charlton 53%

Attempts on target

* Tranmere 3
    * Charlton 3

Attempts off target

* Tranmere 6
    * Charlton 7

Corners

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 4

Fouls

* Tranmere 7
    * Charlton 23

Look at that fouls stat!
    All the yellows are soon gonna catch up with us through suspensions, team needs a wee bit more discipline.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rubbish result should beat tranmere

Not happy didn't sound great. Poor goal to give away.

Only good thing is waggy come back and scored just intime to be dropped for the next game.
  • Options
    Tranmere Fan Review:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A74415305
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasnt at the game and missed the first half on CAFC player as was still at work, but when i tuned in all i could hear from the commentators was that Rovers were getting away with everything and we were not given a decision, hence 21 fouls against us to 7 to Rovers on the BBC stats. It also sounded as though we were defending for most of the second half against a very physical team, with a ref who was very poor at best. I agree with those who have said we would have lost this type of game last season. We need to be patient and judge how well/poor we may be after 12 games - approx 25% of the season gone by then - lets just see what pans out, we may well be pleasantly suprised as each game helps to get this, essentially, new team to 'gel'.
  • Options
    should of kept fry at the back imo.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    we just need to give this side more time to gel and in any case this result was all down to the ref again.

we are just going to do a millwall and norwich anyway though at this point last year southend were about where we are now and gills were eighth but no one is comparing us with them so it's all ok then.
  • Options
    just finished work started a 4 this morning very non plussed about a result for the first time in 25 years, work is fecking killing me,in again at 5 tomorrow morning do 5 hours before Joe plays first league game of the season,strange but not getting wound up about Charlton at the moment,never had this feeling before.
  • Options
    just got home from the game.

Fair result when you take into consideration that Mr P Gibbs is probably the worst referee have ever seem, he was biased towards Tranmere but missed blatant fouls by both sides.

As for the the players,, great start but we let them back in by not keeping the ball on the ground, they had a massive CD and a large striker. I think Worner might have been to blame for the goal but it was a scramble down the other end. Martin had a great long range shot that just went the wrong side and in the 2nd half again Martin put in a superb cross from the right with Benson unmarked on the far post with the goalie static - he headed wide, Tranmere also hit the base of the upright with Worner beaten.

All though the game I felt that the Tranmere defense were poor against slick ground play but excellent at defending high balls, they were there for the taking if we had played our passing game and this is the sort of game we must win to get promoted.

I know the team is still gelling but for how long, also other teams must also be in a similar position and we need to win these games, this was a chance missed.

PS The Lass tells me that after the game the Ladies loo was full of our ladies who were all incensed by the poor refereeing !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]just finished work started a 4 this morning very non plussed about a result for the first time in 25 years, work is fecking killing me,in again at 5 tomorrow morning do 5 hours before Joe plays first league game of the season,strange but not getting wound up about Charlton at the moment,never had this feeling before.

Carry on doing those hours and you'll make yourself ill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    We have absolutely no idea how the season is going to pan out, whether things will click or not, or whether certain players will find a rich vein of form....Seasons are not decided in the first seven games of the season.

Yes. I guess thats why I felt underwhelmed by last week's win and don't feel deflated this week at what somwe clearly see as the loss of two points.

We're three points off the top and five points off the drop. It feels like all 24 teams are still jockeying for position and no-one yet quite knows if they will be pushing for promotion, fighting to stave off relegation or settling for mid-table mediocrity.

We desperately need Benson/ Abbott/ Sodje/Martin to start scoring , though. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they've got one league goal between them, which was Akpo on the opening day...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]we just need to give this side more time to gel and in any case this result was all down to the ref again.

we are just going to do a millwall and norwich anyway though at this point last year southend were about where we are now and gills were eighth but no one is comparing us with them so it's all ok then.

Careful you don't cut yourself there with that razor sharp "wit".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]Wasnt at the game but listened on cafc player and according to the commentators they were kicking hell out of us for 90 mins and the ref just turned a blind eye to everything. yet the slightest thing against us, he was quick to award them whatever they appealed for. Anyone at the game see it this way?

I listened on the BBC (presumably the same commentary). It sounded from that like Tranmere were big on gamesmanship (cheating) and the ref gave them lots of leeway. The stats above on the number of fouls suggest that it was us that was dirty though. For those that were at the game, was it just partizan commentary or were we hard done by?
  • Options
    i know did 85 hours last week, never been so busy and dont want to let my customers down.Going to be like this for another 3 weeks,but things have got to change as I can't go on like this.My brother is going start doing a night shift next week between 9-6 which should mean we can catch up a lot with print machine running all day.Feckin world cup I was knocking kits out in 2 weeks before it, nobody ordered feck all whilst it was on, then took 2 months worth of orders within a week.