Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

124»

Comments

• Options
    This thread is amazing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite][ThreadKiller]7 games in, seasons over already. Parky is a wanker and i hate all our players. In fact i hate Charlton Athletic. Why do i even follow them? [/ThreadKiller]

Another well-reasoned argument then. How exactly is the season over when we're three points off top?

Sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Amazed to read doom and gloom from people who didn't go up there.

Can't add much more to the general consensus of those who did go. Feels like two points lost to me, especially as we played some lovely, simple stuff in the first half. But the ref really was against us, and we struggled when Tranmere got their act together. We look brittle when circumstances go against us - feels like the team hasn't quite gelled yet. Still a long way to go, though.

Benson's a worry too, but hopefully it's just early days.

My first visit to Tranmere - couldn't get over how quiet it was. I walked from Rock Ferry station slightly worried I'd turned up on the wrong day!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Amazed to read doom and gloom from people who didn't go up there.

Can't add much more to the general consensus of those who did go. Feels like two points lost to me, especially as we played some lovely, simple stuff in the first half. But the ref really was against us, and we struggled when Tranmere got their act together. We look brittle when circumstances go against us - feels like the team hasn't quite gelled yet. Still a long way to go, though.

Benson's a worry too, but hopefully it's just early days.

My first visit to Tranmere - couldn't get over how quiet it was. I walked from Rock Ferry station slightly worried I'd turned up on the wrong day!

Why do people have to go to voice there views? Why can't they listen to it and give a view on the game from what they've listened to. Endless misplaced passes, diabolical defending e.t.c.

People can give views from the season as an overall so far, and if they feel we are not good enough to go up, they can say that.
  • Options
    c/a/f/c - of course people can give their views if they werent there. Nobody is saying they can't.

That being said - I will always give more credibility to those who were there than those who were not.
  • Options
    living where I do I listen to more games than I watch. When we play poorly listening is even more frustrating than watching as at least at the match you can have a shout. So the only place for the listeners frustrations are places like CL. The views for the watchers will always be more useful but that doesn't mean the frustrations of the listeners doesn't have its place on here.

I know when I read the match comments I first see if the person was there and then who they are before deciding how much reliance to place on their comments.
  • Options
    I am concerend because we don't make enough chances. I think part of the problem is that if the team doesn't believe it can score easily, it then tends to be a bit more cautious and creates less as a result. This also encourages opponents to have more of a go at us as they feel relatively sfae defensively. You notice this more as we start reasoanbly brightly then see our opponents gradually twig that this team does struggle to score so we can play higher up the picth. People have rightly pointed out that it is early days but we do have to find a way to address this issue. Do we have the quality upfront? That for me is the key to the problem. Nobody can answer that question until we see more of Benson and Asinyah but they can be worried with the evidence to date.

I think the team will be transformed when or if we find a player or players who can find the net regularly. I think Parky knows this too but knowing it and finding that player is another matter. We will still compete for the play offs this season I believe, but unless something changes, that won't be certain and automatic is an impossibility.

I'm a Parky supporter but he must see that Benson needs to be on the bench at the moment. He may be too anxious and it will take some pressure off him and if he comes on later in a game he should be more relaxed and who knows, 1 goal could be the start of more.

In the meantime, he has to start with Joe and Ackpo and find a way to up the chances count without totally exposing us defensively at home as well as away. At least they present a physical challenge as a pair that should keep opponents focussed on the need to defend. We shouldn't lose the faith -at this level we do have some quality but you need to find the right mix and tactics and that is Parky's challenge.

If you can knock on the door enough times, you get goals at this level. Put you need to have confidence and belief and enough in you to worry opponents into errors.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My first game of the season and didn't see much to be encouraged by.

Yes the ref was dreadful and so blatantly biased towards Tranmere i was embarrassed for him. Tranmere were very physical but then what did we expect them to be? We worked hard to match that physical side which i took as a positive because that hasn't been a strong part of our game for a while. Our defence for the most part held up well against Tranmere's game. Unfortunately that part of the game took us over completely and we stopped trying, or were unable to play football.

Attacking wise we looked ok first 20 minutes without really causing many problems, but after that back to mostly hoof ball (so no change to last season then). tTis hasn't been highlighted enough i don't think but our goal only came about because there keeper dropped a simple catch. Other than that i can only remember Ayinsah having a good chance that he skewed wide after a decent move, and a poor header from Benson near the end. No real cohesion between midfield and attack and i couldn't work out how Parky wanted them to play, there certainly wasn't much evidence of using our wingers to get down the wing and supply crosses. It was much more towards the centre of the pitch and because of Tranmeres closing down and physical game this just became scrappy and non productive. So we hoof again and achieve even less.

Parky's subs totally confused me. I thought Martin was having a decent game, certainly more involved and noticable than Waggy. And i didn't think the strikers were the problem, there wasn't a lot of quality or strategy behind them.

Overall a hard fought draw between two poor teams on the day. Stood up well physically defensively, nothing encouraging offensively. Nothing from watching this game and listening to the others that suggests we are a decent team, but our saving grace is that it looks a much weaker league than last. Hopefuly it's just a run of poor games/new team settling in....blah, blah, blah and Parky can get his players and team to be a decent unit, get them playing regularly to the best thay can play (easy to forget they are Div1 standard players) and send them out with decent tactics, whatever they may be for this squad. Not sure Parky nows yet and and i sure as hell couldn't see it.

Next two home games obviously important and a chance to get playing, but i get the feeling it's gonna be a disjointed season and it may be best if i just accept we're not a good team; But hopefully not as poor as most of the others and we manage to battle enough points for promotion.
  • Options
    3 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats. That isn't grounds to sack parkinson or to panic. However I seem to have been waiting for this late or mid season run of form that people talk about for a few years now, we do seem to specialize in the run of form first, followed by a steady decline with occasional 2 game runs.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I'm a Parky supporter but he must see that Benson needs to be on the bench at the moment. He may be too anxious and it will take some pressure off him and if he comes on later in a game he should be more relaxed and who knows, 1 goal could be the start of more.

Don't disagree about benson, but would hope that he would play against Daggers on saturday and will either break his duck, or they will be so focussed on him not scoring that it will make opportunities for other players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd still put him on the bench - would definitely bring him on at some point though.
  • Options
    Remember, Benson's previous manager said that he would score plenty of goals for us....which is why Parky signed him.
  • Options
    I'm not saying he wont - but he hasn't got that early goal so needs to be managed carefully.
  • Options
    Benson and Abbott will do nothing for us this season and there is certainly no point at all having them both on the pitch at the same time. I just can't see how they are better front men than Akpo who has at least scored in the league this season.

As many have commented, the real problem is midfield, or lack of. And for the record, two wingers (Reid and Waggy) makes it 4-2-4 not 4-4-2 which is why we always get overwhelmed in midfield.

On a positive note, Waggy has a great scoring record for this season already and I would play him off big Akpo with Reidy on the left and Martin RM in a 4-3-3.

That way at least you get your best 11 on the pitch. I dont think I can bear to watch a 1-1- home draw with Dagenham and Redbridge...
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back in Luxor, I was persuaded by a shop keeper that walking six times round his alabaster scarab beetle would ensure a win. Didn't work despite his fervent promises. Bit worried tho' as 5 times around the beetle meant that I would become pregnant. Did my best, but disappointing reading all the comments, for which many thanks.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Meanwhile, back in Luxor, I was persuaded by a shop keeper that walking six times round his alabaster scarab beetle would ensure a win. Didn't work despite his fervent promises. Bit worried tho' as 5 times around the beetle meant that I would become pregnant. Did my best, but disappointing reading all the comments, for which many thanks.[/quote]

I used to drive twice around a roundabout to ensure victory, well, it worked up to the end of 1985-6 anyway
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]Benson and Abbott will do nothing for us this season and there is certainly no point at all having them both on the pitch at the same time. I just can't see how they are better front men than Akpo who has at least scored in the league this season.

As many have commented, the real problem is midfield, or lack of. And for the record, two wingers (Reid and Waggy) makes it 4-2-4 not 4-4-2 which is why we always get overwhelmed in midfield.

On a positive note, Waggy has a great scoring record for this season already and I would play him off big Akpo with Reidy on the left and Martin RM in a 4-3-3.

That way at least you get your best 11 on the pitch. I dont think I can bear to watch a 1-1- home draw with Dagenham and Redbridge...

Yes, I quite like that idea, Wagstaff does appear to have a real eye for goal and is a fine finisher so why not play him higher up the pitch and closer to the action?

It has to be worth a try, surely?

I think our best XI would probably be....

Elliott
    Francis - Doherty - Dailly - Jackson
    Martin - Semedo - Racon - Reid
    Sodje - Wagstaff

I get the feeling that Martin/Wagstaff have a good understanding developing and could work well.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]

My first visit to Tranmere - couldn't get over how quiet it was. I walked from Rock Ferry station slightly worried I'd turned up on the wrong day![/quote]

IS, I got the same feeling. Didn't see any home fans until I got to the turnstiles. Wondered if I had turned the wrong way out of Rock Ferry station. Strange Place - no atmosphere in or around the ground, it felt like a non-league venue.

Agree with your comments on the game. Tranmere were Stoke or Blackburn, without the long throws. When we got the ball down and passed it, we went through them. But as in previous matches, we lost control of midfield and resorted to long balls out of the back. Semedo & Racon were bullied out of the game, not helped by a referee who couldn't distinguish between a foul & a good tackle, and guessed most of the time, awarding free kicks to whoever fell over first, which was usually a home player. Semedo & Racon spent most of the second half trying to win free kicks and moaning at the ref. Surprised neither was sent off.

Two home matches to come...three points v Dagenham is a must.
  • Options
    Was away for the game. Said from the start I expected a slow start to the season but we are only 3 points from being top of the league so we aren't doing that bad. Of course it would be nice to be winning games comfortably but hopefully that will come later in the season.

Bit worried that we don't create enough chances. How did Benson do in this game? Was disappointed Sodje didn't start as I think when he's been coming on as sub he's done enough to earn a start