Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never a penalty

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Racon was just standing there and the geezer runs into him. Shocking decision.

Comments

• Options
    Very soft
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nope - just seen it. My first thought was that it WAS a pen, strangely enough - couldn't see why they were all so incensed. On second viewing - and having replayed it four times - that decision was a disgrace (let alone the decision by the shit East-Stand lino to give them a throw-in in the first place). I know everyone moans about officials when decisions go your way, and I know at this level most of them are crap anyway, but my Christ we've had some piss-poor ones this year.
  • Options
    Couldn't believe it, soft isn't the word for it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]My first thought was that it WAS a pen, strangely enough - couldn't see why they were all so incensed. On second viewing - and having replayed it four times...

He wasn't the only one in the ground that thought it was a penalty then.
  • Options
    Diabolical
  • Options
    I havent seen it on the box but I thought it was a foul at the time although you rarely see penalties given for it.

The lino in front of us was hopeless, and we ruined him in the second half, started to feel slightly sorry for him in the end.

Dont think that Lino should do a match at the Den, will be like going back 30 years.
  • Options
    I didn't think it was a penalty at the time and by the reaction of the players neither did they.
    Although the "fouled" looked like he was waving an imaginary card. Up to that point I thought the ref weren't to bad.
  • Options
    Unless I'm mistaken there was hardly an appeal from the Dagenham players either. The player who won the penalty was diving all match.
  • Options
    The problem you've got is that it's a foul anywhere else on the pitch. You rarely see them given as penalties, so fair play for the ref for being brave enough to give it.

However the amount of similar fouls he didn't give us in the second half is why you have to wonder why he gave the penalty in the first place.
  • Options
    Laughable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find myself blaming the ref every game and once again he was poor, but the fact is we should've been about 5 up before the "penalty" was given.
  • Options
    From my angle (NW upper) it looked like a stupid challenge and possibly a foul. From the TV replay it looks softer than micowaved baby shite.
  • Options
    The standard of officiating at this level is beyond dire, the pen was weak to say the least but as Saga rightly said -we should have been comfortable by then and it would not have been an issue at all.
  • Options
    Very very soft pen. There was contact but hardly enough to warrant a penalty or the reaction from the supposed fouled player. Problem is we would should have been 2 or 3 up by then for it to not matter, but thats another debate.

The linesman were just as bad today. The fat lump in front of the East Stand could barely keep up with the last man so how he could have made half of the decisions he did i have no idea. The other linesman couldn't seem to make a decision to save his life, hence the sarcastic cheers when he did finally make a decision. The Ref as a whole i thought was poor. Considering what he gave the Penalty for there were 2 or 3 instances where similar contact happened on our players and he didn't so much as give a free kick. I am convinced that when we boo an official the last thing they are going to do is give us anything if the decision is tough one to call.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it soft, my angle in the East albeit down the other end made it look dubious.

On the other hand with this bad luck regarding pens we are due some good luck soon.
  • Options
    The linesman gave the throw-in before the pen to Daggers, the ref had pointed our way and changed his decision. Early in the second half the same linesman gave an offside when I thought it came off a defender and we were through on goal with another good chance to waste.
  • Options
    How about the free kick given against Sodje when he was pulled back, just about to make his way into the box. Blew up, expected a free kick and a yellow card againt the defender and he gave it the other way!? What was that about!?
  • Options
    Or the lino waving his flag about with no idea what way to give the throwin..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]The linesman gave the throw-in before the pen to Daggers, the ref had pointed our way and changed his decision. Early in the second half the same linesman gave an offside when I thought it came off a defender and we were through on goal with another good chance to waste.

That sort of thing really infuriates me. The lino was miles away and the ref was much closer, but he let himself be over-ruled - why?
  • Options
    We are missing the point, a decision went against us, it should have motivated us to right an injustice, not change the way we were playing away from what was working,to a form of football that the opposition were used to. that bad decision should have been countered by a 4-1 victory to us, with the management and players saying to the ref you may be rubbish but we're better thasn that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]We are missing the point, a decision went against us, it should have motivated us to right an injustice, not change the way we were playing away from what was working,to a form of football that the opposition were used to. that bad decision should have been countered by a 4-1 victory to us, with the management and players saying to the ref you may be rubbish but we're better thasn that

Yep
  • Options
    Should have won with or without that penalty...however that was the easiest game to ref ever, the ref barely had to make a decision. Unfortunately he still managed to mess it up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]We are missing the point, a decision went against us, it should have motivated us to right an injustice, not change the way we were playing away from what was working,to a form of football that the opposition were used to. that bad decision should have been countered by a 4-1 victory to us, with the management and players saying to the ref you may be rubbish but we're better thasn that

Yep

Er ..... nope. The "point" of the thread was that the penalty decision was a joke. Just that one incident, that's all. I never said anything about the why's and wherefores of what went on before or after, just that the penalty decision was wrong.
  • Options
    from the upper west it looked like a foul.. a soft penalty, but a foul nevertheless...
  • Options
    Ok

The penalty decision was incorrect

We should still have won with or without wrong penalty decisions. Dagenham were incerdibly poor and we allowed them to get something out of a game in which they should have been looking at damage limitation at 45 minutes
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Earlier in the half the ref decided on a foul when Joe Ayinsah was attacking, and the ref gave it for a push by Ayinsah in the defenders back, not much of one, but one which halted Ayinsahs progress when we were all getting hopeful, anyway the free kick happened and the game continued....no fuss or bother there. Racon shoved their Bas guy in almost exactly the same way, and the ref was consistent in that he gave the same decision....however what was a routine foul elsewhere became controversial in the area...what is he supposed to do......have two levels of fouls, one outside the box and one inside?
    Yeah Racon didn't cut the guy in half, but as a player noted for his reluctance to mix it, he gave away a wussy shove, but the ref saw it...and it became all the more embarassing because of his histrionics.
    Parky should have controlled his temper, and been focussed on the half time, and realised that we still had a chance, we had played well, and were now attacking our own fans. Instead he loses it, and then has to deal with decisions like Ayinsah/Akpo, and set the play up for the second half, instead he has lost focus, and wasted some half-time working time by getting involved with the referee. He probably wasn't calm at half time, and his behaviour set a bad example to the players by establishing an 'excuse' for a poor result...as a consequence we spent most of the second half trying to give the match away, only redeemed by Warners excellent performance. I can only assume Warner went to the bog at half time, and wasn't caught up in the negative changing room zeitgeist.
  • Options
    Good points, well made Seth.
  • Options
    Very rarely post, but thought I might as well add to the controversy. I agree entirely with Seth Plum above. My immediate reaction yesterday was that it was a foul, albeit a very soft one.

Maybe I’ll have a different view when I’ve seen a replay, but I was surprised by the reaction of the players. Do they expect the referee not to give a penalty just because it was such an innocuous incident and because the Dagenham player wasn’t in a position to threaten? My disappointment at half-time yesterday was with Racon, not with the referee, for having given away such a stupid and unnecessary penalty, especially after we’d played so well.

I’ve been a fan of Parky, but he didn’t do either himself or the team any favours by blowing up at half-time. The side obviously weren’t up for it in the second half and Akpo Sodje seemed to lack awareness, even by his low standards, of where to play and which runs to make. Funnily enough though, I thought that the often diffident Racon looked much more purposeful than usual in the second half. For my money he played as if he knew he’d been at fault.
  • Options
    Just to add a little bit of positivity, I thought racon did tremendously well for jacksons goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Good points, well made Seth.

Disagree. Most of that post is pure speculation. That may have been the way it happened, but nobody on here would know.

Worner must've been in the khazi because he played well, oh please!

Ah well, you wont convince me it was a penalty, just can't see a "push" no matter how many times I've look at it. But hey ho, what do I know?!