Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The official "Support Parky" thread

Comments

• Options
    i like the players parky has brought in , i think this squad is good enough to make the play offs with the right management coaching
  • Options
    NLA said 'You dont know as to who or why people were not appointed over parky previously and nor do any of us.'

Think this was clarified by RM at a Q&A. Parky was cheap and there was no-one better that we could afford. Parky doesn't knock us for high wages and I love him for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I personally think it's time he went before it's too late. If there's no sign of improvement this week against MK Dons or on saturday away to 3rd bottom Brentford then the arguments for keeping him on will be holding less and less weight.

Mr Largo - that is a ridiculous point. Let's keep the manager on because there's no viable alternative. I'm pretty sure you'd find a whole host of decent applicants should our managers position become available. We are a big club in this division, and bigger than a handful of championship clubs as well.

How is that a ridiculous point?! If you want to get rid of the manager then presumably you would want to replace him with someone who would do a better job? As you're so sure that we'd get a "whole host of decent applicants", perhaps you could tell me who they are and why you are so certain they'd do a better job than Parkinson?

why should chris give you alternatives he doesnt work at the club nor know who applied in the past that is still not working.

It is not for fans to back up that argument that would be opinion.

You dont know as to who or why people were not appointed over parky previously and nor do any of us.

There are people to do that within the club

That's rubbish. If you offer an opinion but can't offer anything to back it up then it's not really a worthwhile opinion, is it? Chris said that he thinks we'd get loads of decent applicants - it's no secret which managers are out of work so it shouldn't be too difficult to name a few. Please can someone name one manager who we could afford who would do a better job than Parkinson?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

It was only a couple of home games ago they were chanting "Parky, Parky give us a wave"....

PARKY, PARKY, GIVE US A WAVE...

I thought the Oldham result was one of our better performances this season but i dont recall the Nth stand singing Parkie parkie give us a wave it was not a good performance it was a hard fought but not a great entertaining game

couldnt have been that loud i have only missed 1 home game this season and that was saturday and i have not heard it from the north upper block m

Definitely... Oldham, I think? He even waved back.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]NLA said 'You dont know as to who or why people were not appointed over parky previously and nor do any of us.'

Think this was clarified by RM at a Q&A. Parky was cheap and there was no-one better that we could afford. Parky doesn't knock us for high wages and I love him for that.[/quote]

Hardly a glowing endorsement though is it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Perhaps Mr Parkinson has planned ahead and is sacrificing a flying start for a more consistent season.

praps that is just an odd thought

Not really. Maybe we are more rounded now and prepared to muck in on a boggy pitch in Carlisle than before. Hopefully will will have a better winter than last year
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Perhaps Mr Parkinson has planned ahead and is sacrificing a flying start for a more consistent season.

praps that is just an odd thought

Yeah that'll be it ...."Tell you what lads considering we got off to a flyer last season and didnt get promoted here is the plan......dont worry about winning too many of the early games as long as we can be consistent in our results we'll no doubt finish ahead of those teams who have a winning mentality from the outset. Who's with me?"

Sorry Swis but that is the best post I have ever read in defence of PP mate! ;-)
  • Options
    I agree with AFKA
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]NLA said 'You dont know as to who or why people were not appointed over parky previously and nor do any of us.'

Think this was clarified by RM at a Q&A. Parky was cheap and there was no-one better that we could afford. Parky doesn't knock us for high wages and I love him for that.

Hardly a glowing endorsement though is it?

Didn't say that it was. it merely reflects our precarious financial state. But Parky nevertheless deserves credit for being a good old fashioned, hard working and honourable man.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    " He is the last of the big big earners ........ his time is running out".

Where do you get that from..? I would be amazed if "Parky is one of the big earners...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]" He is the last of the big big earners ........ his time is running out".

Where do you get that from..? I would be amazed if "Parky is one of the top earners...

from wiki "Parkinson then joined Charlton Athletic in January 2007 as assistant manager to Alan Pardew .He was close to a return to management with Huddersfield Town in April 2007, but made a last minute decision to remain with Charlton. Parkinson later extended his contract with Charlton until 2010"

he joined us when we were in the premiership, he was all set to go to huddersfield and he is a northerner , so it isn't rocket science to work out why he stayed
  • Options
    Lets see the size of the crowd tomorrow night and see if the fans are supporting Parky. . . . .

What people say away from the internet is different to what I see on here.

I'm not interested if Parky's a nice guy and says the right things at the Bromley love in , ffs I supported that joker Pardoo (until his YouTube account got cancelled).

I genuinely think we have the players. . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]" He is the last of the big big earners ........ his time is running out".

Where do you get that from..? I would be amazed if "Parky is one of the top earners...

from wiki "Parkinson then joined Charlton Athletic in January 2007 as assistant manager to Alan Pardew .He was close to a return to management with Huddersfield Town in April 2007, but made a last minute decision to remain with Charlton. Parkinson later extended his contract with Charlton until 2010"

he joined us when we were in the premiership, he was all set to go to huddersfield and he is a northerner , so it isn't rocket science to work out why he stayed

So you are guessing he's a top earner....
    OK, As we're going with possibilities, he possibly could have taken a pay cut, as some of the players have... Christian Daily was one that was reported to have done so.
  • Options
    Simple facts are that he will never be sacked so close to the finish of his contract at the end of the season. I think he would still be there if we had lost every single game so far.

Anything lower than 6th this season and he and his team will be out in the summer as his contract ends and a new management team installed for next season.

You have to look at what Parky has achieved since he joined us and it says it all. I just think he is out of ideas at the moment and there is no plan b with a squad that should be good enough for a promotion. I hope he turns it around and he has my full support but can't really see it.
  • Options
    all the guys who sit around me, say six or seven, are not internet warriors and are all between 50 and say 65. All want Parky to go and have for a while. I think there is a bigger majority of those that want to see the back of him than some may realise.

It also seems that the only reason some want him to stay is because he is a nice guy and cheap. Well if he's cheap then 'you pay peanuts you get monkey's' springs to mind. And he may be a nice guy but what credential is that to be a successful football manager. If you don't want success then keep Parky, he's very good at being mediocre.
  • Options
    come on jo it's not rocket science
    moutoo and mcleod signed monster contracts and didn't take a reduction .....
    racon and seme are on big contracts we're running down
    dailly's contract had run out the next offer was lower he accepted
    basey contract run out the next offer was a lot lowere he didn't accept
    most of the above contracts, not daillys, if not all, were initially signed when we considered ourselves flush in the championship , parkys inital one was in the premiership
    i think my guessing is bettter than yours
  • Options
    Happy to support Parky. I think his problem is that he doesn't have any natural leaders on the pitch, ala Kinsella, who are prepared to take responsibility and dish out bollockings on the pitch when things start to go wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Simple facts are that he will never be sacked so close to the finish of his contract at the end of the season. I think he would still be there if we had lost every single game so far.

Anything lower than 6th this season and he and his team will be out in the summer as his contract ends and a new management team installed for next season

I disagree entirely. RM said that promotion last season was imperative. This season it is a total necessity. If things don't significantly improve there will come a point where RM will have to decide if Parky can turn things around and if he decides not then he will have to bring someone new in whilst there is still a chance of rescuing the season and still a possibility of gaining promotion. Letting it drift until the end of the season is not an option in any way shape or form for so many reasons.
  • Options
    Parky has my support.

The one criticism I have of him (and it is a big one) is his criminal waste of Jonjo's talents when Racon wasn't performing.

People forget the dungheap Dowie and Pardew left for him. £25 million spunked on dross paid obscene wages and a club in financial stook as a result.

Few if any managers at any level would have done better than Parky other than perhaps making better use of Jonjo. In fairness I do realise that a 17/18 year old boy was never going to start 46 league games.
  • Options
    His contract was renegotiated not that long ago wasn't it... How do you you know what was agreed between him and RM?
    I wasn't guessing at anything, I just threw up an alternative possibility to yours....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Simple facts are that he will never be sacked so close to the finish of his contract at the end of the season. I think he would still be there if we had lost every single game so far.

Anything lower than 6th this season and he and his team will be out in the summer as his contract ends and a new management team installed for next season

I disagree entirely. RM said that promotion last season was imperative. This season it is a total necessity. If things don't significantly improve there will come a point where RM will have to decide if Parky can turn things around and if he decides not then he will have to bring someone new in whilst there is still a chance of rescuing the season and still a possibility of gaining promotion. Letting it drift until the end of the season is not an option in any way shape or form for so many reasons.

Unless they can get him and everyone else to terminate his contract mutually at no cost to the club then I just can't see it happening. I think we have had our one gamble throwing money at Benson and that was probably pushing the boat far out financially. To sack Parky and co, pay them off, bring in a new team plus probable compensation will be too much.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm nailing my support to the Parky mast! Too early in the season for all this nonsense. If we perform well tomorrow and get the win, opinions will shift yet again.
  • Options
    Soooo let me say this Parky is shit lucky to be the Manager of Charlton Athletic he has done very little , most of which hasnt seen us improve.

There are three questions at least.
    1) Do we support him?
    My answer - i support the club.
    2) Is there an alternative ?
    My answer----Probably but there is a risk.
    3) How bad does it get before he goes?
    My answer--- it has to be close, this club will not exist if we fall much lower.

Sorry AFKA i dont think its laughable to look at Parky geting the Spainish Archer , i think if we dont consider the alternatives NOW we will be a place where there is no way back.
  • Options
    There's a difference between supporting Parky and thinking he's doing a good job.

I would never publicly slag him off/boo him and i also think he's a decent bloke and i want him to succeed, despite continuously critisizing him i've never called for him to be sacked.
    I think he's done a decent job with the transfers for this season. But i don't think he can consistantly get the best out of the players he has and that's what makes a good manager in my eyes. I didn't buy into the "it wasn't his team" excuse and i'm not sure how long the "it's a new team" excuse will last.

So yes he has my support but no i don't think he is/has been good enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i doubt he'd have had a pay cut after that start

But you don't know do you...? Shall we speculate further maybe there were clauses in the contract that his wages would drop when he stopped being flavour of the month or if promotion wasn't achieved?
  • Options
    I think, as has been said above, that some people's expectations are FAR too high given our situation. The Valley is costing millions of pounds a year to own and maintain and we just can't afford it with the revenues we earn in Division 1. This has had a huge effect on Parky's budget and he has done brilliantly to bring together a team that we all hope can compete for promotion. We won't get automatic promotion but we should hopefully compete for a play-off position. Apart from Semedo, Racon & Youga our whole squad is on Division 1 pay and they are pretty much all Division 1 standard players. We have no automatic right to expect to roll over teams like Dagenham, and a bit of humility from some of our supporters would actually help the cause a lot. The booing at 1-1 with 5 minutes to go on Saturday was inexcusable. That was the time in the old days when the crowd would get behind the team and urge them to get a late winner.

Parky has my full support and I could see signs of a decent team in the 1st half on Saturday. If we could just solve the goal scoring problem then I believe we would be well on our way. It's a VERY long season and nobody can possibly know how it's going to turn out after just 8 games.
  • Options
    come on joe what planet are you on , seriously ......or are you parky himself or do you think parky turned his back on huddersfield for the sheer love of our club that he's been at 3 months
  • Options
    Why not get Lihp Nosnikrap.Good ,young cheap Finnish managerial genius.He took his 3rd Division Finnish team Notlrahc Citelhta up to their Premier division in two succesive
    years.He achieved this with a non league keeper,five free transfers,two loanees,one record breaking transfer and a centrehalf that has not played a competitive match in 18 months.
    Now's the time to get him because some of the supporters want him to win the Champion's League next year and the pressure is getting to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]Why not get Lihp Nosnikrap.Good ,young cheap Finnish managerial genius.He took his 3rd Division Finnish team Notlrahc Citelhta up to their Premier division in two succesive
    years.He achieved this with a non league keeper,five free transfers,two loanees,one record breaking transfer and a centrehalf that has not played a competitive match in 18 months.
    Now's the time to get him because some of the supporters want him to win the Champion's League next year and the pressure is getting to him.

LOL