Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Paul Benson

Comments

• Options
    Golfy in talking sense shocker :-)

Still on Benson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Golfy in talking sense shocker :-)

Still on Benson
    It's the same for Abbott and Akpo, get good crosses in and they could score a decent amount.

Benson doesn't have to get 20+ if the other strikers all get 10-15 each over the season.

We need our wingers to get more crosses in, but to me none of them are that type of winger. At least not at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If Benson is going to be our main striker and for him to score 20+ goals a season then we had best play with 2 wingers who can get crosses in early.

For that reason I'd start with Waggy on the RIGHT and Reid on the LEFT with Lee Martin playing just behind Benson in a 442 formation - if Anyinsah is fit then play him up front and Martin as part of a 4 man midfield

I agree!

Blimey me too! Its a rare moment.

I agree with the last bit - Anyinsah up front with Benson. Martin central in a 4 man midfield - let's go all out to win it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If Benson is going to be our main striker and for him to score 20+ goals a season then we had best play with 2 wingers who can get crosses in early.

For that reason I'd start with Waggy on the RIGHT and Reid on the LEFT with Lee Martin playing just behind Benson in a 442 formation - if Anyinsah is fit then play him up front and Martin as part of a 4 man midfield

Is Reid fit? He went off injured on saturday.
  • Options
    It is the old saying that both Abbott and Benson need a goal to go in off their knee as long as it goes in. Not really sure what the answer is as can't see Parky dramatically changing our style to suit Benson, however would be interested to see how Benson does when we have Waggy on the right and Reid on the left who are out and out wingers and should be looking to get the ball in the box more so than Lee Martin may who drifts inside more.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am hoping that John Still's comments were not reserved to the press, but that Parkie took advantage of someone who knows benson (and loves him, in a manly way) and talked about the problems he is having with us and vis versa and how to get the best out of him. Benson should not have been purchased as a player to adapt his game, that will not happen wioth a lower league 30 year old, so hopefully we had / have a game plan to maximise his attirbutes.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Flanagan score one goal in his first 24 games (or something similar) so yes we have to give him time but he had 5 or 6 good chances on his debut and took none of them.

If If if Waggy was on the right maybe he'd get more early balls into the box to attack. We can hope.

To be fair to Flash he was a left winger for those games. I know 'cos I used to give him loads of stick for being hopeless at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I am hoping that John Still's comments were not reserved to the press, but that Parkie took advantage of someone who knows benson (and loves him, in a manly way) and talked about the problems he is having with us and vis versa and how to get the best out of him. Benson should not have been purchased as a player to adapt his game, that will not happen wioth a lower league 30 year old, so hopefully we had / have a game plan to maximise his attirbutes.

Thats what I don't understand. Benson said himself he's having to change his game to play the way Parky wants him to play, but why scout a player, then actaully buy him to ask him to play a different way? You wouldn't buy Messi and then ask him to be a target man? Surely we should be playing to his strengths (Benson, not Messi).
  • Options
    If you sign a striker who plays in a particular way then IMO you are prepared to change your style for him and need to be. Benson running at the defence with the ball is clearly not what he is good at. Why sign a striker who needs balls in behind the defence if you don't play that way it seems crazy to me?!

He needs first time balls in the space behind that back line. Until we do that it looks like he won't score regularly. Pull your finger out parky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I am hoping that John Still's comments were not reserved to the press, but that Parkie took advantage of someone who knows benson (and loves him, in a manly way) and talked about the problems he is having with us and vis versa and how to get the best out of him. Benson should not have been purchased as a player to adapt his game, that will not happen wioth a lower league 30 year old, so hopefully we had / have a game plan to maximise his attirbutes.

Thats what I don't understand. Benson said himself he's having to change his game to play the way Parky wants him to play, but why scout a player, then actaully buy him to ask him to play a different way? You wouldn't buy Messi and then ask him to be a target man? Surely we should be playing to his strengths (Benson, not Messi).

mate i have been saying it since we were rumoured to be looking at him, And i said it when Benson came out and said he was adapting top our play it all seems to strange to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Paul Benson the new Barry Endean? No, he's the new scapegoat as Mooney isn't here any more.

He's being written off way too early - something we seem to like to do with our strikers. How about a bit of support?
  • Options
    When they say Benson has to adapt to our style of play I'm sure they just mean we pass it about more than Dagenham do. No reason why we can't play like we do and get more crosses into Benson (and the other strikers).

They probably also mean he needs to adapt to some of our players. That's the same for every player when they move clubs.

He had to adapt to Dagenham (and stepping up a few levels of course) when he joined them as well. Barely scored for them when they first signed him.
  • Options
    Yeah but when you say it NLA no one knows what your on about :-)
  • Options
    by this time Mooney had scored
  • Options
    John Still seems to think he needs quick ball into the box. That might mean not playing Wagstaff instead of Martin who tends to over elaborate or try to do it all himself. Of course he needs to be in the box too!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]John Still seems to think he needs quick ball into the box. That might mean not playing Wagstaff instead of Martin who tends to over elaborate or try to do it all himself. Of course he needs to be in the box too!!!

Things might get better for Benno when Youga is in the side and over-lapping? Wasn't Francis meant to be an attacking full-back?
  • Options
    The thing that worries me is that NLA saw him a few times and gave an opinion on what he'd be like. Everything we've seen suggests that analysis was spot on. That's not to say he won't fit in with us, or we won't fit in with him or we won't all adapt, just that a poster who watched him a few times seems to have hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Steve Morison started last season very slowly for Millwall and ended up having a great year. He didn't score til his 8th game for Millwall. Way too soon to write Benson off after 3 games, especially ones in which most of us would agree the whole team hasn't played that well, and hasn't created many chances.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Yeah but when you say it NLA no one knows what your on about :-)

half the time i dont know what i am on about ;-)

But i have a real soft spot for the Daggers they have offered my boys football team loads of feebies and tours of the club so i watched Benno loads in the last couple of years often opting to go there than home games for my beloved Charlton.

I honestly thought that by signing him we would be adapting from our style more to one suited in this league and that is to get a couple of really good crossers of the ball at this level and put cack centre halves under pressure by getting at them early.

Dagenham did this quite well but it was not pretty to watch, I could live with us having a style of play like that if i could see that was the way we were going.

At the minute i struggle to see what style we are trying to adapt and how the players we have are trying to Gel.

I dont care if it is long ball or pretty all i care about is that the midfielders create for the strikers,
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Is Paul Benson the new Barry Endean? No, he's the new scapegoat as Mooney isn't here any more.

He's being written off way too early - something we seem to like to do with our strikers. How about a bit of support?[/quote]

Benson DOES have my wholehearted support, but a striker;s reputation is buit on the goals they score, and JPT included , he has started 5 games and not yet scored - and having seen ALL those 5 games he has only really threatened on a couple of occaisons. I believe John Still comments were a direct dig at Parky and basically told him "you pursued him relentlessly and wouldn't give up until you got him - NOW PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS"

If anyone is to blame for the lack of goals it is Parky - no-one else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Is Paul Benson the new Barry Endean? No, he's the new scapegoat as Mooney isn't here any more.

He's being written off way too early - something we seem to like to do with our strikers. How about a bit of support?

I only slag players off who don't put the effort in which is why I always defend the likes of Llera (and Mooney last season) on here.

For much of the second half Benson was strolling around as if he was out for a walk in the local park. There were at least two passes I can remember that he made absolutely no attempt to chase down.

I accept that there may have been an element of "old club syndrome" (even though most of our old players score against us) but I wasn't impressed with his lazy demeanour in the second half. First half, with Anyinsah, he did ok.

As you say it is early days so at the moment I will attribute what I perceive to be laziness to difficulty in adapting to the increased fitness levels in a higher division than he is used to.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    If anyone is to blame for the lack of goals it is Parky - no-one else.

Of course, no blame must be given to the player himself for missing 5 chance in the JPT or failing to find space for the wingers to pick him out.

Funny that you don't so seem to excuse other players, such as Mooney, when they miss chances.
  • Options
    Parky should've known what he was buying and after relentlessly pursuing him should now be setting up the team to play to his strengths. Otherwise why buy him? Don't expect a 30 year-old player to change.

If we haven't got the players to support Benson's play we should've gone after someone else.
  • Options
    So let me check that I have got this right so far.

After 8 Games this Season the Manager should be sacked, we are definatley not going up, the new striker we have signed will never score for us. Anything else ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]So let me check that I have got this right so far.

After 8 Games this Season the Manager should be sacked, we are definatley not going up, the new striker we have signed will never score for us. Anything else ?

The current takeover, that is only days away from papers being signed, will collapse at the last minute.
  • Options
    The Goalkeeper is too short.

The Goalkeeping Coach makes the players lazy.
  • Options
    And NO ONE LISTENS TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]And NO ONE LISTENS TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop playing with the feckin phone & get on with your work, or do you really want to come tonight?
  • Options
    I do its the bloody lazy arese drivers i am waiting for no work to do until they come back the feckas
  • Options
    It's all still a work in progress. Parky has pulled together numerous players from numerous different places. They'll all have arrived used to playing one way or another and it will take time to get them all playing to a specific style. Maybe Parky is hoping Benson will adapt to a different style or maybe he's working on adapting everyone else to get the best out of Benson, either way it ain't gonna happen overnight and there will be a bit of pain along the way.

As I've said, I wasn't there on Saturday but it sounds like we got plenty of crosses in early doors and were causing problems. Likewise, in our improved second half vs Notts County we were getting plenty of crosses in, particularly Reid, and it was causing problems. Why we've not kept at it I don't know, I suspect it's a confidence thing - if the players are getting a bit fristrated or edgy they'll revert to what they know which obviously isn't the required style just yet.

If Parky keeps ramming home his message and they keep working at it in training then it will become more natural to the players and, as and when it reaps some goals on the pitch then they'll do it more often. Until then we may continue to see these bitty performances and Benson, in particular, may look a bit lost. We just need to stay patient, behind him and keep our fingers crossed it clicks. A goal tonight to get that monkey of his back would be ideal though - same for Abbot if he's involved.